• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you as a male actually consider Vasalgel for birth control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. As a person who's really excited to potentially get vasalgel at some point in the distant future, (cheap, effective, easy, no hormonal changes, no condom, etc), it's really surprising to see the response in here.

If it's 100% reversible, 100% absolutely yes.

The convenience over having an IUD inserted, have to take daily pills, keep condoms around, hormonal options, etc makes it a no brainer. A one time shot for years of worry free (at least pregnancy worry free) sex? Duh.

It just seems easier/easier to reverse. I'm no guy but with all the comments about pain... do you realize how badly an IUD hurts getting put in? They don't numb you for that! Thanks for bringing up all the other methods out there females put up with.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Don't have sex unless you want children.

Simple.

giphy.gif

Anyway this sounds a lot less invasive than some of the other options, but it's probably something people'd be more comfortable with if it becomes more widespread and it's clear whether or not there is much long-term risk involved.

CryptiK

Its reversible and said to be pretty much 100% effective with little to no side effects and I'm not a bitch so hell yes I'd get it done.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
If it's been proven to be completely safe with no complications? Sounds like a good alternative to getting a vasectomy or getting your tubes tied.

Tabasco

Why not just get your girl to take the pill?

If there are trust issues then you shouldn't even be with her.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
People getting all bent up over it being an injection. I'm a massive needle phobe (to the point where I routinely pass out when I get shots/get stuck) but even I can see how one injection (that's reversible with a second) is waaaaaaay superior to the largely-irreversible more-than-just-an-injection vasectomy. Until they make a reliable oral contraceptive for men, this is probably the best thing out there,

I've done way worse to my testicles, what's a little gel?

The idea of a blockage freaks me out, though. What happens to the sperm?

No different than what happens to them after a vasectomy, they get absorbed as they die. Hell, this happens to sperm even if you just don't ejaculate for a while; your body is constantly recycling sperm.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I don't think that's really what this is about...

Viewt

I'll consider it in like five years when people have been using it for a while and we know there aren't any weird years-in side-effects. Like, "Whoops, it turns out this gel turns your balls into lumps of flaky crust material! Science is so weird, right?"

boiled goose

good with gravy
Nah.

Im one of the few that actually doesn't mind condoms at all. Even use em regularly with girlfriends on the pill.

I have had sex with and without condoms.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah, I'd be interested. Condoms are awful.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
If it's 100% reversible, 100% absolutely yes.

The convenience over having an IUD inserted, have to take daily pills, keep condoms around, hormonal options, etc makes it a no brainer. A one time shot for years of worry free (at least pregnancy worry free) sex? Duh.

It doesn't seem like its 100% reversible, just more likely to be than a vasectomy. That's not saying much.

Why would you think this is more convenient than having an IUD inserted?

The mental image of the injection is probably a lot more painful than the act itself.

I've gotten some needles down there and it's not that terrible. It's uncomfortable as heck and it may make you queazy for a few minutes, but that's it.

Men are so easy squeamish about small things. Thank god we dont have to give birth. I think it is only fair that we can inject stuff into us and not only women. I am all up for this technology if nothing serious side effects.

This sounds vastly less dangerous and more reversible than a regular vasectomy at first glance. Not sure why someone in the market wouldn't consider it.

If you can't trust her, then that seems like the only reason you would want male birth control.

Unless she can't take a pill for whatever reason, I guess.

I don't know whether your lack of experience, imagination, or knowledge is more breathtaking

Sesha

Of course. Safe sex, no condoms in a steady relationship, the girl can avoid the pill as birth control vs. a little needle. Easy decision.

Sesha

Yup. And send me home with some pain meds so I don't feel shit. Then we're all good. I'd take that in a heartbeat. When does this hit market and will insurance in fuck you healthcare USA cover it?

Soon-ish. They mentioned 2017-18 before, but I'm not so sure. Either way it'll be sooner if they get more donations. Which reminds me that I should donate more.

Edit: From their page:

with the first clinical trial expected to begin in 2016

Ryde3

I would def opt for this.

I'm in a relationship and I rather her not take birth control (they are hormonal and change you in someway) but also dislike wearing condoms. Sounds like a win.

Tabasco

Try looking into the side effects of pills before assuming there isn't a better solution.
You have a point there.

If the effect for Vasalgel is completely reversible and the girl can't have/doesn't want the pill, then I'd take it. What are the side effects in this case, though?

Kenstar

storafötter;193371308 said:
Men are so easy squeamish about small things. Thank god we dont have to give birth. I think it is only fair that we can inject stuff into us and not only women. I am all up for this technology if nothing serious side effects.

omg did you generalize an entire sex
speak for yourself, you're not my representative
#notallmen

Ri'Orius

I'd want to know how reversible it is. Anything below 95% and it's a hard pass. Even if it's 95-99 I'd be hesitant: it'd depend on my hypothetical partner's ability to pursue alternatives.

Not too concerned with the needle aspect. But let's face it, this is all very hypothetical for me. The treatment isn't available, plus my current method of birth control (being a boring homebody) is extremely effective and not especially likely to change in the foreseeable future.

Because the pill can do horrible horrible things to you? I've taken it most of my adult life and I hate it. I'm desperate for the day a male contraceptive pill is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom