• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you prefer if a new Tomb Raider game went back to its roots or should the series continue to go in a more serious direction?

Which Tomb Raider style floats your boat?

• Yeah fam, give me that sexy ass kicking Lara!

Votes: 152 80.9%
  • No, I'd rather continue playing as the joyless punching bag

Votes: 36 19.1%

• Total voters
I will always prefer wit/humor over bland "super serious" type of stories, like you can have moments of levity in serious stories, not saying it has to be all laughs of anything, but at least give the characters a personality. Gameplay wise I really liked the new Tomb Raider games but it would be nice to have a cast of characters I actually remember anything about. Also more tombs/puzzles that are part of the story and not just side missions

Madflavor

Well, you did say Dark Souls which is a game centered around melee combat.
This is what I said:

"The series could really benefit from taking the "Dark Souls" approach, at least in terms of it's design philosophy when it comes to exploration, atmosphere, discovery, and being cryptic."

New games are far better than the old ones. And I'm big fan of o.g. Tomb Raider games. What I don't like - The tank control, slow action (even the turn-based JRPG are faster and more dynamic). There is something cool in risk-reward part of the climbing and jumping. And the sense of discovery is cool the rewards are not telegraphed, but this is also bad. The new once had only one problem and it's called Uncharted.

Alan Wake

I really enjoyed the reboot trilogy, and especially Rise of the Tomb Raider which had some amazing environments to explore (but too combat heavy, they fixed that in Shadow). But I wouldn't mind seeing Lara going back to the roots. As long as it's a third person adventure game which is about exploring cool and exciting ancient places I'm in.

Fuz

Banned
alicia vikander adventure GIF by Tomb Raider
Missing triangles.
Alright dude, whatever.
TBH I remember the first TR to be pretty cryptic.

Last edited:

SolidQ

In classic tomb i was love finding secrets, that was real secrets, which gave to me real exploration. New tombs more like pew pew pew games.
So for me would be good exploration + secrets. Eventually Lara is Tomb Raider, not pew pew woman.

• Fire
Reactions: Fuz

Phase

Another Drizzlehell post from the diary. Gotta say though, I'm all for it. I don't have any particular opinion on Lara as I've been luke warm since the beginning, but I like that you're fostering more discussions on different topics.

nkarafo

Whatever, as long she explores tombs in complete isolation. Get rid of any other characters and lame action scenes.

CGNoire

Always.

But if the leaked laser tomb lesbian Lara script wasn’t fake we can expect the original strong solitary sexy Lara to be erased in the next game, it seemed absolutely ridiculous. I really thought Embracer would step in and pull some strings to get the IP back on tracks but it seems like they’re hands off and someone high up at Crystal Dynamics have no clue what made the IP big.
Link?

I'll echo what I once said before about what Tomb Raider needs to be.

The series could really benefit from taking the "Dark Souls" approach, at least in terms of it's design philosophy when it comes to exploration, atmosphere, discovery, and being cryptic. I don't think the majority of TR fans want a cinematic storytelling experience, with heavy third person shooting elements. Fans want to explore Tombs. They want dark creepy atmospheres, a sense of wonder and discovery, and they don't want shit to be explained to them. Give the player a simple goal, drop Lara off at the entrance of a tomb, and just let them go. Don't constantly interrupt the pacing of the gameplay with a bunch of bullshit cutscenes. Of course you can have cutscenes, and of course there should be gunplay. But the keyword here is exploration. Let players discover things themselves. Allow a sense of excitement when they stumble upon a secret room, or a horrifying monster they stumble across in a dark lit hall.

It's called Tomb Raider. The series hasn't lived up to that name in a long time. Elden Ring should've taught the game industry that players are starved for games that don't hold their hand and want the world itself to tell them the story.

Also imagine if the game had Rogue-like elements. Lara stumbles upon an artifact that turns back time when she dies. The game can be heavy on survival, gunplay, exploration, and platforming elements where you can die easily from a fall or traps. Of course you can unlock upgrades and shortcuts in the tomb so the game wouldn't be terribly hard. But the point is there's so many directions you could take Tomb Raider, instead of just being an Uncharted clone. I did love Tomb Raider 2013, but the rest of the Reboot Trilogy never lived up to the potential that game created.
I agree with all of this! Other modern inspiration should be RE7 and re2 remake.

Could take inspiration from the classic resident evils as well. Ammo should be hard to come by and combat a last resort.

CGNoire

New games are far better than the old ones. And I'm big fan of o.g. Tomb Raider games. What I don't like - The tank control, slow action (even the turn-based JRPG are faster and more dynamic). There is something cool in risk-reward part of the climbing and jumping. And the sense of discovery is cool the rewards are not telegraphed, but this is also bad. The new once had only one problem and it's called Uncharted.
What risk and reward....its the exact opposite. The climbing has zero risk and is basicly like navigating an options menu. You literaly magneticly attach to climbing surfaces.

Also no one is asking for tank controls to return. This isnt a fixed camera game like RE was.

Neff

My ideal Tomb Raider game
- Holy shit this level is bigger than I thought
- How do I get up there?
- No really, how the fuck do I get up there?
- I did it! Let's see what happens when I pull this lever...
- Christ it's a long way down, it's been a while since I saved
- I think my buttocks are permanently clenched after that death-defying pixel-perfect jump
- Wait, how the fuck do I get in there?
- Repeat

-Zelda-

Banned
I want fun loving, world traveling, acrobatic Lara back. If we cant have that, can they at least port the legend trilogy from PS3 to all current consoles and do a compilation for the first 3 PS1 games as well?

jm89

Don't really care much what they do with Laras character. But in terms of story and gameplay if they went back to old tomb raider, I'd drop the series in the bin.

I've played the old tomb raiders 1-3 and it bored me to tears. The quite atmosphere, with lack of story and huge focus on puzzles and platforming just didn't work for me.

Madflavor

I'm just realizing Shadow of the Tomb Raider came out in 2018, 5 years ago. A similar gap between Tomb Raider Underworld and Tomb Raider 2013. Yet we haven't gotten a official announcement or trailer for the next game. Long time for no Tomb Raider.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I never played Shadow. I finished Rise and the Baba Yaga DLC. That was fun. I saw they did the whole flash back stuff with her as a kid in Shadow and that was too much pace shifting for me. I just want the cool level design and fun exploration. Idk to be honest. Legends was fun on 360, but they’re capable of doing so much with this franchise. I wonder if I missed anything by not playing Shadow?

gothmog

Gold Member
I liked the old games. I liked the new games. I wouldn't mind more but they should realize the franchise is a bit long in the tooth. Maybe a nicely budgeted AA game to see if people are interested in more.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I saw they did the whole flash back stuff with her as a kid in Shadow and that was too much pace shifting for me
Easily the worst part of a game that was already full of bad ideas. Overall you could grab it when it's on deep sale, I guess, but it's not a must play imo. Story-wise it doesn't bring anything interesting to the table and feels rather disconnected from the other two games, and the pacing is all over the place. The parts where you're not in combat drag on for what feels like forever because there's barely any interesting puzzles to fill the time and so much of the game is spent on walking around and listening to the dialogue. And when you finally get to the action it's usually over far too quickly and you're not given enough time to play around with the new stealth mechanics. I found the whole thing very forgettable compared to the previous two games.

Last edited:

Neff

I don't want poor man's uncharted.

I see the modern trilogy as rich man's Uncharted myself, doing everything ND's series does but better, with a dash of Arkham.

That said though, I do agree that a return to the old style of game would be more than welcome.

Nico_D

Maybe lighten up the new trilogy, no need to be dark serious but otherwise it was a right direction for the series. At least the first two games were, the third one was garbage.

That said, I would like the games open up a bit. Not necessarily - and preferably - open world sections where you get to drive motorcycle or a boat like in the old games. And more globetrotting. One location is a bit tiring, just bushes and trees from start to finish.

Haemi

I like the mixture of Uncharted and Assassins Creed (the old ones) of the last 3 games. But Lara could be a bit tougher and the world needs more mystery and puzzles.

Sephimoth

I want to see tombs again Gandalf, tombs!

And:
- Dangerous wildlife as enemies only. Encounters terrifying
- No ear-piece / sidekick chatter, feeling of isolation

-Self-assured Lara ready to conquer anything
-Actual relics and treasure to hunt with great lore
-Some supernatural elements mixed in
-Less focus on combat
-More interesting environments
-Better puzzles

Yeah, I miss the old games. They were and still are my favorite games of that gen even over Mario 64. They captured the magic of exploring really cool 3D environments. There was magic there that I want back.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That still looks too sexualised and exploitative for REEE

I think in modern video games, there is a genuine case that, if you look at the evidence, whatever people on ResetEra think is good for a game - if you want your game to be successful, you do the direct fucking opposite.

And if ResetEra thinks that a sexualised, tough, intelligent Lara Croft that appeals to both the male gaze and female power fantasy is the wrong thing to do - then that's exactly what they should be doing.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I just want it so the platforming itself is challenging and interesting, the platforming in the early tomb raiders isn't archaic, it was the point.

LividYearlyIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

vI5mIM.gif

998ddea60614ab40c6ce7de224a4f91a.gif
The tank controls are a bit archaic, though, I wouldn't want that. Legend trilogy kinda hit the perfect spot for me tbh, with fluid and intuitive controls and platforming that was still a fun challenge in both dexterity and puzzle cracking.

I think in modern video games, there is a genuine case that, if you look at the evidence, whatever people on ResetEra think is good for a game - if you want your game to be successful, you do the direct fucking opposite.

And if ResetEra thinks that a sexualised, tough, intelligent Lara Croft that appeals to both the male gaze and female power fantasy is the wrong thing to do - then that's exactly what they should be doing.
Yeah, modern day wokeism and ultra feminism is a fucking brain tumor and I can't wait until the pendulum swings the other way because more than enough good IPs have been burned to the ground and bulldozed by this idiocy.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, modern day wokeism and ultra feminism is a fucking brain tumor and I can't wait until the pendulum swings the other way because more than enough good IPs have been burned to the ground and bulldozed by this idiocy.

The thing is, if that kind of thing was actually popular, and was selling loads of games, then I'd accept it - and accept the fact that maybe attitudes have changed a great deal, and I'd have to deal with the fact that what I thought was popular, no longer is.

But that is obviously, painfully not what is happening. The same stuff that's always been popular, remains popular. Sex sells. So do power fantasies. So does archetypal heroism. All things Tomb Raider originally traded in extremely well.

ksdixon

Both.

I believe Sonic and TR and RE should all have different gameplay style series sub-games continuing different lines of story, perhaps contributing still to an overall canon despite the different playstyles. You can't cover everything in one like RE6 and Sonic 4/Generations showed, so compartmentalise into pillars, and push each foundation better.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The thing is, if that kind of thing was actually popular, and was selling loads of games, then I'd accept it - and accept the fact that maybe attitudes have changed a great deal, and I'd have to deal with the fact that what I thought was popular, no longer is.

But that is obviously, painfully not what is happening. The same stuff that's always been popular, remains popular. Sex sells. So do power fantasies. So does archetypal heroism. All things Tomb Raider originally traded in extremely well.
Yeah man, because that's what actual normal human beings can relate to and have fun with. The only people who find the woke shit appealing and the lunatics who sit around on Twitter all day long and don't even interact with the very things that game and movie producers are creating in order to cater to them, lol. It's like living in a Monty Python sketch these days. When your main goal in writing a story is an agenda of some sort, and your characters are defined not by their personalities but by their allegiance to gender, sexuality, or ideology, then not only you're bound to alienate and annoy a significant portion of your audience but it also makes for a boring story.

Top Bottom