• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW I'm in

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Give me your account, or you're banned and I submit your ISP email address to 37 spamming agencies. <---Is what I'd say if selling WoW betas on ebay wasn't so damn profitable ;b

Slo said:
Why is it illegal to sell something you own legally?

Wow, you own Blizzard's Intellectual Property in its pre-retail form? *checks US Copyright Database* Hmm, don't see an entry under "Slo." ::rolleyes

The End-User License Agreement that you must agree to when you install and each time you run the beta has a very specific section barring the sale of Blizzard's IP (not to mention federal *non-DMCA, for those consumer activists in the audience* copyright laws which bar such activity).

Travado

This thread makes me depressed!
frown.gif

Slo

Is it in the GAF terms of service that people have to be pompous and condecending when answering a question?

DJ: But the user isn't actually selling the source code, he's selling his spot in the beta. That's like sellling tickets to a baseball game. You're not selling the a piece of the stadium. You're not selling seat 48F and the ground it rests upon. You're selling your right to admittance.

But I'm no lawyer. Maybe there's fancy language in the ToS that makes this different. What I know for a fact is that this guy isn't selling a set of C-source modules to the highest bidder.

Doth Togo

Slo,

IP rights don't work that way. The owner of the intellectual property can do whatever they want with the product. Based on the EULA (End User License Agreement), the beta tester, even when they signed up for a beta but never played, Blizzard and company can sue, if they choose to do so. If you break the agreement, then they can go after you.

Break the deal, face the wheel.

Slo said:
DJ: But the user isn't actually selling the source code, he's selling his spot in the beta. That's like sellling tickets to a baseball game. You're not selling the a piece of the stadium. You're not selling seat 48F and the ground it rests upon. You're selling your right to admittance.

The difference is that those tickets can be used by anyone, whereas Blizzard has chosen to let YOU into the Beta - not just anyone, but you, because of your background, PC specs, what have you. The agreement is that Blizzard lets YOU into the beta and that YOU give Blizzard feedback, not that Blizzard gives a free slot in the beta to you for you to do as you please with.

Slo said:
Is it in the GAF terms of service that people have to be pompous and condecending when answering a question?

But I'm no lawyer. Maybe there's fancy language in the ToS that makes this different. What I know for a fact is that this guy isn't selling a set of C-source modules to the highest bidder.

Sorry, but I get upset every time someone bitches about not being able to profit from someone else's work. The beta won't let me cut and paste the text of the EULA, so I'll look and see if it's in a readme file. And as to your ticket comparison, many event tickets have language on them (and legal protection) from people attempting to re-sell them. A great example are E3 show tickets. Ever hear the phrase "Non-Transferrable?"

DJ Demon J said:
Ever hear the phrase "Non-Transferrable?"

A lot of places also have anti-scalping laws; you can't sell the tickets for more than face value. Since you got in the Beta for free good luck with that!

Slo

Well, if that's how it is, then that's how it is. I've got no place to argue legalities. I do feel that it is stupid though. The "crime" is truely victimless. Blizzard loses nothing, and they still get a tester. The guy who doesn't want to be in the beta is happy, and the guy who paid to be in the beta is as well.

:-\

Doth Togo

Many times, beta testers are part of warez groups and will pass out the beta to their 1337 friends for their gaming/hacking/cracking pleasure. By shutting down auctions like this it assures that fewer and fewer n00bs get ahold of the game and go fuck with it, which means, Blizzard makes a little bit more money in the future and can release a better game later on. Less $$$ for Blizzard, less likelihood of a better game. Same goes for smaller developers/publishers. We've seen several companies outright die from piracy. That's not cool, IMO.

Slo

For one, I think this instance is a bad example of that. As it is a MMORPG, it will not be pirated. And for two, I highly doubt groups piracy groups are scowering eBay for their source material. Escpecially in beta form. :)

Slo said:
Well, if that's how it is, then that's how it is. I've got no place to argue legalities. I do feel that it is stupid though. The "crime" is truely victimless. Blizzard loses nothing, and they still get a tester. The guy who doesn't want to be in the beta is happy, and the guy who paid to be in the beta is as well.

:-\

Once again: they don't want "a" tester. They want THE TESTER THEY SELECTED TO BE IN THE BETA. There's a reason the beta is closed, not open - they are trying to garner as much information from a certain subset of gamers, not just a certain aggregate number.

Blizzard loses the known quantity they selected and gets some random yahoo - a yahoo who paid more than $300 to get in the beta and thus is going to have a VERY different attitude towards playing an unfinished game than those who got in fairly and freely.

So Blizzard does lose, and that's why they're serious about enforcing their EULA.

Slo

Heh, this isn't a fight I'm all that interested in having. And I'm not interested in making enemies over this, or fighting tooth and nail for it. Legal or not, it seems like a trivial event for all parties involved.

Slo

If you can construct a convincing arguement that Blizzard would somehow benefit more by having some one of it's 20,000+ randomly chosen accounts sit idle, rather then have it filled by a guy who obviously wants to use it.......I'll atleast read it.

Slo said:
If you can construct a convincing arguement that Blizzard would somehow benefit more by having some one of it's 20,000+ randomly chosen accounts sit idle, rather then have it filled by a guy who obviously wants to use it.......I'll atleast read it.

Okay, I think I figured out my argument.

BECAUSE.
THE.
ACCOUNTS.
ARE.
NOT.
RANDOMLY.
CHOSEN.

akascream

Banned
The End-User License Agreement that you must agree to when you install and each time you run the beta has a very specific section barring the sale of Blizzard's IP (not to mention federal *non-DMCA, for those consumer activis.. blah, blah, blah.

Pretty easy to piss in our cheerios when you're already in the Beta. Why don't you lay off?

Slo

Proven wrong about what? The legality or the impack? I'm not argueing legality, I'm argueing impact, and you've proven nothing concerning that. If you think Blizzard actually read hundreds of thousands of Beta applications, reviewed each one, and narrowed the field to a mere 20,000 qualified applicants then you're a damn fool. Don't be so naive, they'd have to outsource the entire country of India to pull that off. At best, they used an algorithm that would chose testers at random and give them a good cross section of system configurations that they want to test on.

So I ask again: if Blizzard randomly chose a beta tester that doesn't really want to play the game, how are they better off if that account sits idle rather then be used by someone? Legality asside, how are they DAMAGED by it?

akascream said:
Pretty easy to piss in our cheerios when you're already in the Beta. Why don't you lay off?

This has nothing to do with me being in the beta and other not. I am just fucking sick and tired of seeing people on message boards use "BUT I WANT IT" as a legal argument. I'm sorry if you're not in the beta but that doesn't mean that buying an account on eBay, impersonating your friend, intercepting someone's email, etc. are acceptable behaviors. The law is not going to be rewritten because you really want to play the game NOW!!! and I'm sorry if pointing out that the universe does not revolve around your greedy whims is pissing in your Cheerios. In a few months there will be an open beta and soon thereafter the game will be widely available in stores for money.

Until that point BLIZZARD OWES YOU NOTHING.

Slo said:
Proven wrong about what? The legality or the impack? I'm not argueing legality, I'm argueing impact, and you've proven nothing concerning that. If you think Blizzard actually read hundreds of thousands of Beta applications, reviewed each one, and narrowed the field to a mere 20,000 qualified applicants then you're a damn fool. Don't be so naive, they'd have to outsource the entire country of India to pull that off. At best, they used an algorithm that would chose testers at random and give them a good cross section of system configurations that they want to test on.

So I ask again: if Blizzard randomly chose a beta tester that doesn't really want to play the game, how are they better off if that account sits idle rather then be used by someone? Legality asside, how are they DAMAGED by it?

That's all I was saying: that they used an algorithm that would chose testers at random and give them a good cross section of system configurations that they want to test on.

Obviously, someone else is not you, so when they get your account, you're undermining the effectiveness of Blizzard's algorithm. Of course you can argue, "just one account doesn't hurt!" but that's the same philosophy people use for littering, picking flowers in public places, shoplifting, etc. You are putting your own selfish desires ahead of other people. You are not special.

The rest of your argument is just sour grapes, so I'm not going to bother addressing it. It's clear you want to play the game and I hope you get a chance to soon. And with that I am leaving this stupid-ass thread.

akascream

Banned
How much did you pay for Beta Jack Frost? This isn't as simple as typical piracy issues. This is a license agreement issue, and is Blizzard's call to make.. not yours.

For fuck's sake, I don't fucking care if you fucking buy an account on eBay or not. I am not a fucking tattletale and I don't give a fuck.

I'm just saying that it's Blizzard's call, NOT YOURS, to say if it's legal or not. They say not. THAT'S MY POINT. End of story.

Slo

JackFrost2012 said:
That's all I was saying: that they used an algorithm that would chose testers at random and give them a good cross section of system configurations that they want to test on.

Obviously, someone else is not you, so when they get your account, you're undermining the effectiveness of Blizzard's algorithm. Of course you can argue, "just one account doesn't hurt!" but that's the same philosophy people use for littering, picking flowers in public places, shoplifting, etc. You are putting your own selfish desires ahead of other people. You are not special.

The rest of your argument is just sour grapes, so I'm not going to bother addressing it. It's clear you want to play the game and I hope you get a chance to soon. And with that I am leaving this stupid-ass thread.

Can we put this to rest now?

Trasher

How much is WoW going to cost monthly? I heard it was around 20 bucks but that is an insane amount of money to ask! Someone please tell me its not 20 bucks a month...

-1 Slo

From the Beta Test Agreement

C. You are entitled to use the Program for your own use, but you are not entitled to engage in any of the following activities. Failure to adhere to these restrictions shall be a "Material Breach," and will result in the immediate termination of this Agreement by Blizzard. Such restricted activities include the following:

(i) sell, auction, or grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Program to other parties in any way, nor may you rent, lease or license the Program to others without the prior written consent of Blizzard;

firex

Trasher said:
How much is WoW going to cost monthly? I heard it was around 20 bucks but that is an insane amount of money to ask! Someone please tell me its not 20 bucks a month...
Whoever told you that should stop making shit up. Nobody knows what WOW is going to cost monthly yet, not even Blizzard.

AeroGod

In a few months there will be an open beta and soon thereafter the game will be widely available in stores for money.

LOLZ. Quote of the day...nay..the week. LOL

Open Beta wont be here until Novemberish probably, if the game makes it out before 2005 Ill be surprised

firex

Open beta = probably about the time they adjust the level cap to 60 and have tested all of the basic classes in the game.

I might as well weigh in with some of the stuff I've heard from various Blizzard staff in the game.

The much-vaunted Hero system is still planned, but it's planned for after you reach level 60. As far as I know, the intent is for you to go on a massive quest at this point, and upon completion, you will be changed from your class into a hero specific to that race/class combination (possibly even to gender, although I'm not sure). It's also worth noting that changing into a hero class is supposed to reset your level to 1 (I don't know if that means you'd be completely reset or not though).

The next major phase of beta that they're going to do will raise the level cap to 55, open up about 3 new zones and possibly a couple of more instance dungeons, and unlock the Hunter class. I don't know when they plan to do linked instances (instances where multiple groups can enter) or PVP battlegrounds (also instanced, but these are big maps specifically designed for PVP... and hopefully more satisfying than the regular PVP game. I've heard they will include some cool scripted sequences, and they're throwing around the idea of some usableWarcraft vehicles in there as well).

There are at least 2 more qualities of weapons intended to be added to the game. Right now item quality goes from gray (horrible, vendor junk) to purple (legendary). I don't quite know what they're intending to call the even better equipment, but purple items are already really powerful, so I'd imagine even better quality items would be, well, insane on the level of some of Diablo 2's uniques with a million mods.

Top Bottom