• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

dave_d

I jsut watched this dynamite and Yeah AEW is Legit, was a good match for KL not a squash match as such. my only worry is he need to be able to go for longer, him vs Kenny I think Keith will be gassed in the first 5 mins
I basically figure Lee is like that because he basically hasn't wrestled in a year.(First because of covid then because the WWE decided to mess around with him when he was still working for them then 90 day release clause.) I figure he'll be to his prime self fairly quickly.

NickFire

Hell yeah mofo's - I got tix for AEW in April. Woo hoo.

Also, holy crap at how many people are seeking tickets. I was in the pre-que, got into the que the moment it opened, and still had like 600 people in front of me. They need to start looking at bigger venues soon. So pumped for this.

Hinedorf

Banned

Also, holy crap at how many people are seeking tickets. I was in the pre-que, got into the que the moment it opened, and still had like 600 people in front of me. They need to start looking at bigger venues soon. So pumped for this.
Here in San Diego I have the opportunities to go to Raw/Smackdown but really have no interest in either but man if I had even one chance to see AEW come to town I would be there. I hope they come west at some point.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Most of it is resellers. I’m going Wednesday and had to buy from a reseller. But I’m on the second row.

dave_d

After watching Smackdown.......They're really doing Sami Vs. Knoxville and Sonya vs. Naomi at Wrestlemania aren't they? BTW was it me or did the whole Sonya/Naomi thing start when Naomi thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with her boss. (Why am I supposed to sympathize with her? I want both of them to go away at this point.)

Hinedorf

Banned
After watching Smackdown.......They're really doing Sami Vs. Knoxville and Sonya vs. Naomi at Wrestlemania aren't they? BTW was it me or did the whole Sonya/Naomi thing start when Naomi thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with her boss. (Why am I supposed to sympathize with her? I want both of them to go away at this point.)
My biggest complaint with the people who love WWE and hate AEW is the way WWE neither respects their fans or programming. They have no problem turning their "premium" event into a glorified commercial and jam it down you throat in the most disgusting way. I'll keep tuning in for free but will never support what Vince is doing with my $. I'm sorry but Bad bunny and Knoxville can fuck right off
tkOanbZ.png

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Banned

You don't see people get that excited when someone signs with WWE anymore. When a 16yo signs with AEW, people get excited.

When Keith Lee, Ruby Soho etc. sign, people get excited.

Bullet Club

Banned
He's got much better mic skills than I would have expected. I'm not sure I even heard him talk before that.

Anyway, is there a specific reason he isn't on TV anymore? As in, did he do something dumb or just apathy from the crowd?
There's no real reason for him not to be on TV. He just got lost in the shuffle with AEW having so many people on the roster.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

That kind of sucks. I thought he did a great job building something amazing. It is cool to see Huber taking the position, even if sometimes she comes across a little hard on some people. I wonder why Cody is leaving. I thought he and Dustin did some amazing stuff in AEW. I wonder if the "Shut the F Up" chants at his wife made him want out. He helped build a great wrestling organization.

I am going to be at the show tomorrow.

Dthomp

Please stop, I can only get so hard…

I am ready to cry tears of joy for those two leaving AEW and no longer taking spots away from actually talented performers. Them and WWE deserve each other so very much. I hope Vince gives him back the Stardust mask again.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

I am ready to cry tears of joy for those two leaving AEW and no longer taking spots away from actually talented performers. Them and WWE deserve each other so very much. I hope Vince gives him back the Stardust mask again.
Cody helped build the organization you love in front of and behind the camera. He was instrumental in getting it off the ground.

dave_d

BTW for those haven't heard Amanda Huber is replacing Cody in his position of community out reach. For those that haven't heard she wasn't their first choice. Their first choice? That's right, Frank Stallone.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Didn’t see Cody going back to WWE so soon with how big he was in helping start AEW. He even had to fight to get his name and father’s ppv trademarks back from WWE.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned

I'm kind of in the same boat in having no problems letting them go. Most of their mic segments felt forced having to bring Arn and the whole gang in every time.

Unfortunately the WWE already has a Miz so I really don't get it.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I'm kind of in the same boat in having no problems letting them go. Most of their mic segments felt forced having to bring Arn and the whole gang in every time.

Unfortunately the WWE already has a Miz so I really don't get it.
Oh I don’t get it either, but as I actively avoid wwe I hope they go there so I never see them again 😂. Vince is dumb, and Lilly thinks he’s stealing something of value like the old das of stealing wcw guys away that we’re underutilized. He doesn’t know he’s getting beyond overhyped guy that will immediately be back in the lower to middle midcard.

It’s a paycheck move most likely. Wwe will pay big just assuming he is a bridge to MJF two years from now. As much as i don’t like WWE, Cody isn’t even a top 15 guy there, so it only makes sense if it’s a KO type deal but better. Some type of 5+ million dollar a year deal

hotbrew

Neo Member
Here is my sign for tomorrow..... Look for me. I should be easy to spot on the second row.
Nuznrzd.jpg
Have the most fun! Is it your first AEW show?

And on the Cody news. That roster is so absurdly stacked that it really doesn’t matter. I didn’t realized until now that so many big names came to AEW and Cody never mentioned any of them (I think Punk when he did his promo for the ladder match). It was like Cody and Brandi where completely divorced from the rest of the show.

Not gonna lie, booing the fuck out of him every time they came to Jacksonville was a TON of fun and I’m going to miss that. Even my girlfriend who hated Brandi got kind of sad when I told her lol. But in the grand scheme of things it won’t matter, they’re gonna go to Vince, get a HUGE truckload of money, be a big deal for a month or two until is time to put over Roman in the most absurdly huge way they can think of and then NXT duty it is. And I’m okay with that. Lord knows they need SOMEBODY to feed Roman.

NickFire

Cody helped build the organization you love in front of and behind the camera. He was instrumental in getting it off the ground.
He absolutely does deserve credit for that. But I am still happy to see them go. He is not the reason they blew up IMO, but the booking of him gave me the vibe he thought much differently. If they had to keep treating him like a huge star, it was going to just hold others back without a return imo. And that last promo from his Wife that I saw was pure and utter cringe. On the one hand it elevated the manager (to me anyway) who tore her apart, but that was not the intent and just pure luck. And it reflected really badly on Cody to me, because if he was putting the company first he would have made sure an actual star got that mic time.

Fox Mulder

He absolutely does deserve credit for that. But I am still happy to see them go. He is not the reason they blew up IMO, but the booking of him gave me the vibe he thought much differently. If they had to keep treating him like a huge star, it was going to just hold others back without a return imo. And that last promo from his Wife that I saw was pure and utter cringe. On the one hand it elevated the manager (to me anyway) who tore her apart, but that was not the intent and just pure luck. And it reflected really badly on Cody to me, because if he was putting the company first he would have made sure an actual star got that mic time.

That was just an awful segment for a Chicago crowd. Even Lambert couldn’t get them to boo him in a ring with Brandi.

I can’t even imagine how god awful a Brandi and Paige Vanzant match was gonna be.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
That was just an awful segment for a Chicago crowd. Even Lambert couldn’t get them to boo him in a ring with Brandi.

I can’t even imagine how god awful a Brandi and Paige Vanzant match was gonna be.
I was looking forward to Paige......Vanzant.

Dthomp

This is likely for the best. Brandi was by far the worst female wrestler on that roster getting FAR too much TV time for her lack of talent (She gives Big Swole a run for her money in terrible). I get they want a PVZ match for the crossover stuff, and this way something can be built to benefit both females. IF they went with Paige/Brandi, Paige would be getting cheered out of the building when clearly she is better built to be a smug heel. I tend to be a much bigger fan of the heels you're not supposed to like, so I always get a chuckle from the Lambert stuff, but the common wrestling fan should not be cheering him and his crew in any circumstance.

Fox Mulder

This is likely for the best. Brandi was by far the worst female wrestler on that roster getting FAR too much TV time for her lack of talent (She gives Big Swole a run for her money in terrible). I get they want a PVZ match for the crossover stuff, and this way something can be built to benefit both females. IF they went with Paige/Brandi, Paige would be getting cheered out of the building when clearly she is better built to be a smug heel. I tend to be a much bigger fan of the heels you're not supposed to like, so I always get a chuckle from the Lambert stuff, but the common wrestling fan should not be cheering him and his crew in any circumstance.

It just seems smarter to have PVZ fight someone more experienced to help carry her and have a better match. Brandi wasn’t the one for that, but she probably wanted the buzz from it instead of someone deserving.

Dthomp

Could Sammy be losing today to Darby And swerve comes to confront Darby?

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of over these SUPER tiny guys being the TNT champion. I miss Miro running over these kids.

It's actually more so that 1.) Sammy has been the worst TNT Champ, and he's been it twice. 2.) Darby has already had a meh run with it, and doesn't need it to be over cause he has a cool theme and Sting.

I'd rather they use the TNT title as the bridge into the World Title scene. Right now that belt should be feuded over with the likes of MJF, Hangman (He ain't in that Elite scene yet to me), Miro, Archer, and to a lesser extent guys like Ethan Page, Scorpio, etc.

I'm not one of those little guys are the worst I need believable muscles to like them, as shown that Danielson is one of my all time favs, but AEW has WAY to many of these super undersized guys that really haven't found a way to be unique other then flippy shit. I'm most excited for Danhausen cause at least he'll be used accordingly and not pushed to the moon the way OC and Sammy were.

Don't know anything about Swerve, is he worth being hyped for if he comes in?

Hinedorf

Banned
Not gonna lie, I'm kind of over these SUPER tiny guys being the TNT champion. I miss Miro running over these kids.

It's actually more so that 1.) Sammy has been the worst TNT Champ, and he's been it twice. 2.) Darby has already had a meh run with it, and doesn't need it to be over cause he has a cool theme and Sting.

I'd rather they use the TNT title as the bridge into the World Title scene. Right now that belt should be feuded over with the likes of MJF, Hangman (He ain't in that Elite scene yet to me), Miro, Archer, and to a lesser extent guys like Ethan Page, Scorpio, etc.

I'm not one of those little guys are the worst I need believable muscles to like them, as shown that Danielson is one of my all time favs, but AEW has WAY to many of these super undersized guys that really haven't found a way to be unique other then flippy shit. I'm most excited for Danhausen cause at least he'll be used accordingly and not pushed to the moon the way OC and Sammy were.

Don't know anything about Swerve, is he worth being hyped for if he comes in?
Just my opinion... Sting ruined Darby. I like Darby prior to Sting now they're just a duo and not for the better.

Sammy has pulled some amazing spots but as far as who he is remains completely void of heel/face as he's more or less the baby face in a group of heels.

Was Sammy the face or the heel against Cody? Cody organically was hated by the crowed but still remains a face, not a good angle

Miro selling to Sammy was mad respect as there's no real way you see Sammy standing a chance against a physical monster like Miro, I'm more of the mindset I prefer a comical Miro but the best man angle just wasn't written well.

I think AEW missed a mark with Adam Cole as in my opinion since joining AEW has put on more/better shows than any other name on their roster aside from BD, a Sammy vs Cole long feud would've been some great matches, now I just see Cole taking a bad job to a much less talented Cowboy with no setup for future story.

Dthomp

Just my opinion... Sting ruined Darby. I like Darby prior to Sting now they're just a duo and not for the better.

Sammy has pulled some amazing spots but as far as who he is remains completely void of heel/face as he's more or less the baby face in a group of heels.

Was Sammy the face or the heel against Cody? Cody organically was hated by the crowed but still remains a face, not a good angle

Miro selling to Sammy was mad respect as there's no real way you see Sammy standing a chance against a physical monster like Miro, I'm more of the mindset I prefer a comical Miro but the best man angle just wasn't written well.

I think AEW missed a mark with Adam Cole as in my opinion since joining AEW has put on more/better shows than any other name on their roster aside from BD, a Sammy vs Cole long feud would've been some great matches, now I just see Cole taking a bad job to a much less talented Cowboy with no setup for future story.

You're probably right about Sting/Darby, I would have hoped one would have turned on the other by now.

That's my issue with Sammy, he's a spot fest without a real reason for it. I find him on his own to just be bland and annoying as white face babyface #8.

I didn't realize when Miro dropped it how banged up he was, so nothing but respect for that and then stepping up to wrestle Bryan when Mox had to go. I think he's fine if they keep him heel, he'll be a mega babyface when they eventually need him to be.

I think they realize they messed up the start with Adam Cole, but I don't think they envisioned all UE becoming available. I like the turn to serious, mess people up Cole, and the seeds of him not wanting to be part of a goofy thing with the Bucks and Cutler is good long term storytelling. Honestly, he'd make a better champ then Page, but I just won't believe they pull the trigger til they do. They can easily have him have Fish and KoR help him to win it while having the Bucks not cool with him screwing Hangman but who knows where this is leading. I think him being a heel champ just cheating when needed and being a top guy for an eventual returning Kenny is more enticing then him losing to Average At Best Page.

Top Bottom