• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

AJUMP23

0ad434h4kota1.jpg

AJUMP23

I keep wondering if they have plans for her character. At one point I thought she was going to be a wrestler, but now it just seems she's a witch manager sort. A very quiet one who doesn't talk much.
She wrestled Anna Jay last Friday. It was a good match and She has a great entrance. You should check it out.

dave_d

Oh for those that missed it Mickie James is too injured to be in the match this weekend and may have actually retired. So that means both titles will have new champions. Of course I will just add that doing the whole last Rodeo thing was yet another example of Impact being Impact. (I think I've used that line a lot)

dave_d

Oh and in other news the rumor going around is that Punk and AEW are mending fences and he'll probably be back in June. Personally if I was running AEW I wouldn't bother, realizing he's about Undertaker's age during his last title run and older than Hogan after Starcade 97 but then again I'm not an internet wrestling mark who turned his e-fed into his own wrestling company. Oh well, looks like I'm not getting back to watching AEW anytime soon. (The only part I watch is MJF. No I don't hope he goes to WWE since they would probably ruin him like they have with SOOO many people.)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Oh and in other news the rumor going around is that Punk and AEW are mending fences and he'll probably be back in June. Personally if I was running AEW I wouldn't bother, realizing he's about Undertaker's age during his last title run and older than Hogan after Starcade 97 but then again I'm not an internet wrestling mark who turned his e-fed into his own wrestling company. Oh well, looks like I'm not getting back to watching AEW anytime soon. (The only part I watch is MJF. No I don't hope he goes to WWE since they would probably ruin him like they have with SOOO many people.)
I think Tony knows that Punk is one of the few real draws he has. He's got a stadium to fill up in england. The ratings are pretty weak and aren't growing but they've managed to sell some big shows with Punk involved. He'll bend over backwards to get punk back in. Fuck the locker room morale.

dave_d

I think Tony knows that Punk is one of the few real draws he has. He's got a stadium to fill up in england. The ratings are pretty weak and aren't growing but they've managed to sell some big shows with Punk involved. He'll bend over backwards to get punk back in. Fuck the locker room morale.
That's true but the problem is he's old so Punk is out a lot with injuries.(Which is why you'd use him as a special attraction.) If Tony was competent 3.5 years would have been more than enough time to have a few draws plus use Punk to help build up some more for the next few years. But he's not so he doesn't and it's like you say, he'll bring back Punk to sell out some big shows. (You know, until he gets injured again or has a problem with management again.) IE long term they're doing the same stuff Impact did and it'll work out the same way. (Being the ex-WWF federation.)

AJUMP23

I don’t know how much is the locker room itt just seems like the bucks and Jericho don’t want him around.

DKehoe

Aren't they getting another new show? Seems the network is pretty happy with them.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Aren't they getting another new show? Seems the network is pretty happy with them.
They can't draw more than 850k ish or so on most weeks. They've stagnated. Zero growth in terms of ratings. They're still drawing good numbers for ppvs and gates for them but that's about it. They may be plenty enough for TNT but they aren't really challenging wwe anytime soon.

dave_d

They can't draw more than 850k ish or so on most weeks. They've stagnated. Zero growth in terms of ratings. They're still drawing good numbers for ppvs and gates for them but that's about it. They may be plenty enough for TNT but they aren't really challenging wwe anytime soon.
Weird to think they're drawing similar numbers to Impact before that imploded. (They used to get around 1 million every week back in the 2008-2010 time frame but I don't even know if they were on youtube.)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Weird to think they're drawing similar numbers to Impact before that imploded. (They used to get around 1 million every week back in the 2008-2010 time frame but I don't even know if they were on youtube.)
Tna got well over a million many weeks. 1.5 million range pretty often. Ratings weren't tna's problem.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Dynamite kinda sucked.
Jungleboy, Darby so awful on the mic - the crowed actually turned on them.
Cole crying for Britt getting beat by a kendo stick when shes had matches rolling around in thumbtacks.
Hobbs completely wasted with that dumb QTV crap. Just let him kick ass clean with no shenanigans.
Hell even this lucha Commander guy was more over than Jay White.
Bad show.

Dthomp

Dynamite kinda sucked.
Jungleboy, Darby so awful on the mic - the crowed actually turned on them.
Cole crying for Britt getting beat by a kendo stick when shes had matches rolling around in thumbtacks.
Hobbs completely wasted with that dumb QTV crap. Just let him kick ass clean with no shenanigans.
Hell even this lucha Commander guy was more over than Jay White.
Bad show.

Yeah some weird stuff with Dynamite. I don't get TKs fascination with Wardlow, we saw his one trick, it kind of sucked (much like his title reigns). Why put the belt on Hobbs, saddle him with QT then have him lose it immediately? I assume Hobbs is going to the Saturday show then? I love Jay White, not sure why he is being used against this Commander dude, Spears and Starks when he should have been shot right into the main event picture. This PPV will be the first AEW PPV I skip, doesn't matter if it's a 4 way or MJF/Darby, I have less then zero interest in either of those being a PPV main event. For me, all those dudes belong in the midcard. The Cole/Britt stuff is weird, and just another chance to attach Jericho to something to suck the life out of it (Adam Cole return), the on tv drama has gotta be for the stupid reality show tie in since Britt kept screaming AUSTIN! as loud as she could

dave_d

I haven't listen to it yet but apparently Ric Flair was on Rogan. So I figure I'd post a classic, when Terry Funk interviewed Ric Flair

NickFire

Found last night to be a mixed bag. On the positive side, I agree wholeheartedly that part time champions makes the TV product less exciting and I am glad they want to change that. But the way they are addressing it feels like a mad rush to please whoever is paying them for these shows in Saudi Arabia. They are pretending Roman only has one championship when he clearly has two. And they are not stripping Roman of a title either. This is NOT the way. They should either formally strip Roman of one and replace it with the new belt, or Roman should lose one before it is replaced with a new belt.

There were a lot of reports about Vince re-writing last night. No clue how accurate that was. But writing a show that pretends 2.5 years of history did not happen sure makes me lean towards it being true.

I'm pretty confused. Roman got a second belt at Wrestlemania 2022... is that right? I didn't know which belt was more important... and I don't even quite get the names... they say "Universal Championship" which seems like it should refer to both of his belts but I think that's just one of them. I imagined beforehand that one was the RAW belt and one was the Smackdown belt essentially. But they weren't explicit about it like they were with the tag titles. Which are also weirdly unified. I might have already asked this question and probably failed to process the answers because it's all just so convoluted.

And now HHH came out to declare Roman is just unbeatable, so they're going to make yet another belt.. even though shouldn't they just strip him of one of the existing belts?

Having never experienced a WWE draft, all the talk about splitting up tag teams seems weird.

I'm only watching for Otís right now. That's just a good looking man.

dave_d

I'm pretty confused. Roman got a second belt at Wrestlemania 2022... is that right? I didn't know which belt was more important... and I don't even quite get the names... they say "Universal Championship" which seems like it should refer to both of his belts but I think that's just one of them. I imagined beforehand that one was the RAW belt and one was the Smackdown belt essentially. But they weren't explicit about it like they were with the tag titles. Which are also weirdly unified. I might have already asked this question and probably failed to process the answers because it's all just so convoluted.

And now HHH came out to declare Roman is just unbeatable, so they're going to make yet another belt.. even though shouldn't they just strip him of one of the existing belts?

Having never experienced a WWE draft, all the talk about splitting up tag teams seems weird.

I'm only watching for Otís right now. That's just a good looking man.
Yeah, pretty much one was the Raw belt and the other was the Smackdown belt. (But sometimes they'd change shows.) Anyway my guess is pretty much yours. They finally realized they never had a plan on what to do once they unified the belts again(They've unified them before) and now they realized after unifying the belts they don't want Roman to lose but still want the title to change every so often so lets just make a new belt. (Yeah they should strip him of one.)

As for the draft it's stupid since the order that people get drafted in won't make sense(Hit Row last time) and some people will show up on both shows just because.

As I will always say there's tons of guys they've messed up over the years.(Otis is just another one. We can list so many.)

NickFire

Since they are going to pretend Roman only has one championship and start from scratch, maybe they will do something fun and interesting with the new one and actually ride someone with unplanned popularity for a change. Like LA Knight. Yeeeaaah!

Or maybe Vince will send him back to NXT. Considering he had nothing for him at wrestlemania, my guess is this is more likely. Noooh!

Naked Lunch

MJF eating pickles with Taz on commentary was brilliant.
People talk alot of shit on Taz but hes much better than old man JR - glad they made the move to boot JR off Wednesdays.
Taz can be pretty funny on there I think "you dont got a fork?"
- and excaliber does a good job.

Even Tony came around to the pickles later in the broadcast, heh.

DKehoe

People talk alot of shit on Taz but hes much better than old man JR - glad they made the move to boot JR off Wednesdays.
Taz can be pretty funny on there I think "you dont got a fork?"
- and excaliber does a good job.

Even Tony came around to the pickles later in the broadcast, heh.
Excalibur and Taz seem to have good chemistry from what I've heard of them

Dthomp

Excalibur and Taz is by far their best pairing, I find Tony to just be a waste with them. He's just a slightly better JR in some ways, but for me he brings nothing to the table that should require him to be out there weekly. Keep him in his proper backstage role and let Ex and Taz carry with the occasional guest (Not Jericho...)

dave_d

The problem with wrestling today is that nobody cares about the predominantly vanilla midgets that dominate it.
I'd say the big problem at least with the WWE is that they don't want stars anymore. I can't remember where I read it but supposedly they didn't want anyone to be bigger than the WWE, they wanted replaceable cogs in the machine.(So nobody could hold them up for money like in the past) IE They wanted a modern version of the studio system.(Everyone has heard of that right?) Looks like they've gotten it.

AJUMP23

I'd say the big problem at least with the WWE is that they don't want stars anymore. I can't remember where I read it but supposedly they didn't want anyone to be bigger than the WWE, they wanted replaceable cogs in the machine.(So nobody could hold them up for money like in the past) IE They wanted a modern version of the studio system.(Everyone has heard of that right?) Looks like they've gotten it.
But they built Roman Reigns into some unbeatable powerhouse. He could hold the company hostage. I don't think he would be loved in AEW, but his brand is huge, and he moves a lot of merch.

NickFire

But they built Roman Reigns into some unbeatable powerhouse. He could hold the company hostage. I don't think he would be loved in AEW, but his brand is huge, and he moves a lot of merch.
The past 15-20 years - there's typically one top guy and almost everyone else is a cog. I couldn't name a single person, other than Brock, who built themselves a following without getting beat by Roman or Cena, or squashed by an elderly person (Fiend).

DKehoe

The past 15-20 years - there's typically one top guy and almost everyone else is a cog. I couldn't name a single person, other than Brock, who built themselves a following without getting beat by Roman or Cena, or squashed by an elderly person (Fiend).
To be fair, The Fiend losing is very funny.

dave_d

I would say it's really more the past 5 years. I mean 20 years ago (2002) we had a few guys that rotated at the top like Angle, Brock, HHH, Kane, and Undertaker but we had guys a bit below that that definitely weren't cogs. Your Jerichos, Benoits, Eddie and Big Shows. Then by the end of 2010 you had a few more top guys like Cena, Orton and Edge but guys a bit below but not cogs like Miz. But yeah now it's just Roman. Admittedly they've got some guys a step below but they're all guys that originally debuted over 10 years ago. I can't name anybody who first showed up on the main roster after 2018 who's anything but a cog.(Drew and Lashley don't count, they originally showed up like 15 years ago.)

Of course I could compare this to when I first started watching wrestling in the 80s. You had the top guys like Hogan, Savage, Andre, and Piper but a ton of other guys below them that absolutely were not cogs and looking back on it we wouldn't have been surprised if they made them next level. Guys like Jake Roberts, Dibiase, Steamboat, and Rick Rude who are all pretty much legends on their own.(And I'm forgetting a bunch. Of course I'm talking about the WWF.)

Hayabusa83

Banned
Vanilla midget is obviously subjective. There are certain wrestlers that stuck out because of their in ring ability and charisma. Eddie Guerrero was an awesome wrestler and a fantastic character. Rey Mysterio Jr is one of the most unique and creative wrestlers in history. My issue with the current product today is that everything revolves around the fact that there are no weight divisions in professional wrestling anymore. One thing that totally legitimized WCW back in the mid and late 90s was the cruiserweight division.

dave_d

I don't know if anybody watched Impact last night. The way they were playing it up you'd think they had gotten a major women's wrestling star such as Charlotte, Rhea, or Becky. Nope, their main even was letting Naomi speak. Not sure what happened though when she came out I stopped watching, I can't stand her.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I don't know if anybody watched Impact last night. The way they were playing it up you'd think they had gotten a major women's wrestling star such as Charlotte, Rhea, or Becky. Nope, their main even was letting Naomi speak. Not sure what happened though when she came out I stopped watching, I can't stand her.
I just watch the ppvs. The last one was pretty great. I love that venue. It's small but it looks great. On a different but somewhat related note where the fuck is AJ Styles? Is he out with an injury? I don't pay super close attention to the wwe so it's possible I just haven't seen him, but it doesn't feel like he's been featured in at least six months.

AJUMP23

I just watch the ppvs. The last one was pretty great. I love that venue. It's small but it looks great. On a different but somewhat related note where the fuck is AJ Styles? Is he out with an injury? I don't pay super close attention to the wwe so it's possible I just haven't seen him, but it doesn't feel like he's been featured in at least six months.
I thought he showed up on one of the wwe shows last week.

Vestal

Gold Member
The crowd at Backlash is exactly what I expected my PR brethren to be like. The island is one of those true "wrestling" territories, and it showed in the crowd.

Big props to WWE for allowing some of the PR carnyness to ooze out during the Bad Bunny match.. Specifically Savio Vega going back to his roots as T.N.T which was his character in WWC(PR World Wrestling Council) in the 80s early 90s before his WWE run. That entire sequence was PURE WWC PR fuckery and I loved it :)

Hayabusa83

Banned
The crowd at Backlash is exactly what I expected my PR brethren to be like. The island is one of those true "wrestling" territories, and it showed in the crowd.

Big props to WWE for allowing some of the PR carnyness to ooze out during the Bad Bunny match.. Specifically Savio Vega going back to his roots as T.N.T which was his character in WWC(PR World Wrestling Council) in the 80s early 90s before his WWE run. That entire sequence was PURE WWC PR fuckery and I loved it :)

Audience was hot! Made the show so much more entertaining.

I hope Damian Priest gets a solid push, love the guy's look and bad ass voice.

Top Bottom