• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

DKehoe

Looks like mustachio'd era Vince is here to stay lol

hJbbQam.jpg

• LOL
Reactions: RNG

Naked Lunch

Adam Cole vs. MJF was fantastic. Despite the flaws in last week's set up promo, the promo and this week's match was some of the best wrestling storytelling in recent memory.
Dynamite this week was one of the best in the company's short history. An all timer.
Phenomenal actual in ring wrestling all around - among the storylines and NJPW crossovers. Pure fire and quality entertainment.

I love the insane hate Don Callis has been getting. You cant even hear the dude over the boos. That shit is absolutely hilarious.

Dthomp

Crazy how good a show can feel when it isn't infused with all the Little Boy Figures he loves to usually play with. Haven't enjoyed an AEW show this much in a long time.

Naked Lunch

Collision was pure crap.
Trying to figure out if it was a parody or intentional 1 to 1 copy of a wwe show. With the ringside announcer table/time keeper table setup. It was like smackdown 2.0 – had the exact same feel and look.
The commentators were god awful – absolutely terrible.
The matches were crap outside of andrede.

CM Punk is fat and old. He simply looks slow and awkward in the ring – I cannot take his badass persona seriously. I don’t get what anyone sees in the guy. He is likely going to get murdered by the fans outside of his safezone Chicago.
Likely wont be following this much outside of dynamite.

Last edited:

dave_d

CM Punk is fat and old. He simply looks slow and awkward in the ring – I cannot take his badass persona seriously. I don’t get what anyone sees in the guy. He is likely going to get murdered by the fans outside of his safezone Chicago.

I'll take a shot at answering that. So pretty much as you've noticed the standard internet wrestling fan LOVES CM Punk. I think that's because they want to live vicariously through him. From what I’ve seen so many IWF would love to be a pro-wrestler themselves and think “If I could just get my chance I’d be as over as anyone.” However they think they’re realistic about this since they’re probably fat and out of shape. They think they couldn’t be 7 feet tall, they couldn’t have a build like that, they couldn’t do those throws, or they couldn’t do all those flips. IE They couldn’t be a giant, be built like Big E, do throws like Lesnar/Lashley, or do flips like Ricochet or Montez Ford. They think they’d get over with their talking, with their promo skills and if they just got one chance on the mike they could be the next Punk or even a manager like Cornette.

This is all hugely ironic. It’s true you can’t learn to be a giant. However while you might not have the build and strength of a Big E you can definitely do the training to get a decent build and very strong. Furthermore you can train to do the throws and flips. You won’t be as good at them as Lesnar or Ricochet but you’ll be decent. If you watch a decent amount of local indy wrestling there’s tons of people with builds like that, that can do a decent set of throws and can do a few flips and dives.

From my nearly 40 years of watching wrestling the one ability that is most important to getting you over is good promo skills and charisma. You can be absolutely shit in the ring but if you have that people will flock to watch you. The thing is that’s the rarest skill and I don’t know if anybody can teach you how to do that. If you watch the same indy wrestling it should be obvious because so many of the guys can’t do it and you never know if they’ll ever learn. But these IWF see Punk or Kevin Owens do it and they think they could be like them and get over like them. They think it’s easy since they can quote those wrestlers but they’re just idiots.

Naked Lunch

I'll take a shot at answering that. So pretty much as you've noticed the standard internet wrestling fan LOVES CM Punk. I think that's because they want to live vicariously through him. From what I’ve seen so many IWF would love to be a pro-wrestler themselves and think “If I could just get my chance I’d be as over as anyone.” However they think they’re realistic about this since they’re probably fat and out of shape. They think they couldn’t be 7 feet tall, they couldn’t have a build like that, they couldn’t do those throws, or they couldn’t do all those flips. IE They couldn’t be a giant, be built like Big E, do throws like Lesnar/Lashley, or do flips like Ricochet or Montez Ford. They think they’d get over with their talking, with their promo skills and if they just got one chance on the mike they could be the next Punk or even a manager like Cornette.

This is all hugely ironic. It’s true you can’t learn to be a giant. However while you might not have the build and strength of a Big E you can definitely do the training to get a decent build and very strong. Furthermore you can train to do the throws and flips. You won’t be as good at them as Lesnar or Ricochet but you’ll be decent. If you watch a decent amount of local indy wrestling there’s tons of people with builds like that, that can do a decent set of throws and can do a few flips and dives.

From my nearly 40 years of watching wrestling the one ability that is most important to getting you over is good promo skills and charisma. You can be absolutely shit in the ring but if you have that people will flock to watch you. The thing is that’s the rarest skill and I don’t know if anybody can teach you how to do that. If you watch the same indy wrestling it should be obvious because so many of the guys can’t do it and you never know if they’ll ever learn. But these IWF see Punk or Kevin Owens do it and they think they could be like them and get over like them. They think it’s easy since they can quote those wrestlers but they’re just idiots.
Appreciate the response - what you're saying makes a lot of sense.
I dont know the guy's history to be honest - but I personally never liked CM Punk i esp in this AEW run. More of a disrupter than anything - and his in ring ability is bottom tier - not believable at all. Slow, lazy, sluggish, flat out weak.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Appreciate the response - what you're saying makes a lot of sense.
I dont know the guy's history to be honest - but I personally never liked CM Punk i esp in this AEW run. More of a disrupter than anything - and his in ring ability is bottom tier - not believable at all. Slow, lazy, sluggish, flat out weak.
He's never been physically gifted. Even in his prime. He's always been skinny fat. His gifts were always promo work and personality. He's always been a huge mark for himself which is the issue I've had with him.

dave_d

More of a disrupter than anything - and his in ring ability is bottom tier - not believable at all. Slow, lazy, sluggish, flat out weak.
I can totally understand. I mean I was amazed earlier in his career his fans thought he was legit and if it was real he could literally take Lesnar in a fight. I thought it was obvious even back then how uncoordinated his moves were that if he ever got in a real fight with someone like Lesnar he'd get destroyed in short order. (I could mention he once fought Teddy Hart, Punk didn't do so well.)

dave_d

He's never been physically gifted. Even in his prime. He's always been skinny fat. His gifts were always promo work and personality. He's always been a huge mark for himself which is the issue I've had with him.
The problem was his Mark fans acted like he was awesome in the ring which is what turned me off from him. (Especially in his ECW days where he didn't talk and had basic WWE matches. They went nuts over those.)

DKehoe

The problem was his Mark fans acted like he was awesome in the ring which is what turned me off from him. (Especially in his ECW days where he didn't talk and had basic WWE matches. They went nuts over those.)

I get that there is a section of people who totally overhype him. But there’s plenty of great Punk matches though.

A lot of the ECW stuff was probably because the indy to WWE path was a lot less well trodden at that point. Have you seen his ROH stuff with Joe?

dave_d

I get that there is a section of people who totally overhype him. But there’s plenty of great Punk matches though.

A lot of the ECW stuff was probably because the indy to WWE path was a lot less well trodden at that point. Have you seen his ROH stuff with Joe?
No, my experience with him started with ECW so I never saw any of that stuff. Of course after his fans went nuts over his ECW stuff and wouldn't stop I was in no mood to go back and give him a chance that his RoH stuff was any good.

RNG

I thought Collision was good and I was thoroughly entertained throughout. If they continue to treat it like Dynamite and less like Rampage I'll stick around for it every Saturday.

Collision was just okay for me. I made sure to watch "highlights" of CM Punk in UFC before watching so his tough guy promo fell extra flat, tell me when I'm telling lies :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dynamite was really good last week. Much better than Collision.

I know I'm supposed to care about this Miro guy but I don't. First I've seen of him. I've heard the name once or twice. As a newer viewer they didn't do anything to make me care about him. It reminds me of both Braun Strowman and Bray Wyatt. At least Bray Wyatt had his discount Undertaker entrance with the lantern. But neither one of those guys proceeded to do anything for me. I guess Strowman was better with his odd couple routine with Ricochet but I guess he's injured now anyway.

RavageX

Collision was just okay for me. I made sure to watch "highlights" of CM Punk in UFC before watching so his tough guy promo fell extra flat, tell me when I'm telling lies :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dynamite was really good last week. Much better than Collision.

I know I'm supposed to care about this Miro guy but I don't. First I've seen of him. I've heard the name once or twice. As a newer viewer they didn't do anything to make me care about him. It reminds me of both Braun Strowman and Bray Wyatt. At least Bray Wyatt had his discount Undertaker entrance with the lantern. But neither one of those guys proceeded to do anything for me. I guess Strowman was better with his odd couple routine with Ricochet but I guess he's injured now anyway.

This is how I feel about MOST wrestlers these days. They show up, people piss themselves over how great they are or how they did this or came from that however if its not on TV, then it really means nothing. Punk to me has always been overrated. I few matches I've seen were average and I feel all he does is talk, and talks like I should care about what he has to say...but I don't. To me he has done nothing except be involved in drama. The AEW drama was interesting for a bit, but me personally....I would have made them work it into a serious angle while it was the hot news and make money. And if they didn't want to work together, they would be free to go somewhere else.

The people from NJPW and where ever else, means nothing these days. Come in, impress with actions and your good. Don't come in acting like you are already a made man/woman. They all do this now and the fans don't help. "So and so is a GAME CHANGER!"
They come in, say a few words and nothing else. Shit matches or no matches at all. Rivalries that make no sense.

Naked Lunch

The funny thing about this new Punk stuff is he said in that recent promo "I am sorry that the only people softer than you are the wrestlers you like." - but this whole thing originates from him getting butthurt over a Hangman promo - that he still cant get over and hes still complaining about. Look yourself in the mirror brah.
I hope he gets booed out of the building outside of his Chicago safezone.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RNG

NickFire

Miro has been away dealing with injury for quite a while. I highly recommend giving him a chance over the next few months (ie: not dismissing him too quickly) if he can stay healthy. The dude can entertain and has charisma. He had a good initial push in WWE as your stereotypical foreign heal and made it work. After he was inevitably buried by Cena (WWE gonna WWE), he somehow got himself over big time yet again with the stupid (but awesome) Rusev Day act. He is one of those guys who I always felt was held back just so they couldn't get bigger than a chosen few in WWE. I mean, seriously, he had crowds cheering for him when doing the Rusev Day gimmick.

V2Tommy

Loved Collision. Best AEW show in ages. It's like they removed everything I don't enjoy (Bucks, Orange Cassidy, Jungle Boy, annoying announcers, backstage skits, etc) and made a show out of it. It looked big, expensive and exciting. Surprised Jade wasn't on it, as she would catch the attention of casuals if they happened to check the show out.

SEGA_2012

Guys, yesterday Hulk Hogan was revelead as the third man. He now calls himself "Hollywood Hogan" and he is the leader of a group called "NWO", in a mission to destroy WCW. I am shocked.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
Collision was pure crap.
Trying to figure out if it was a parody or intentional 1 to 1 copy of a wwe show. With the ringside announcer table/time keeper table setup. It was like smackdown 2.0 – had the exact same feel and look.
The commentators were god awful – absolutely terrible.
The matches were crap outside of andrede.

Likely wont be following this much outside of dynamite.

Punk sucks. Not a fan of Triple H, but he was right when he called him a skinny fat, tatted loser. I lost immediate interest in AEW when they brought him in.

AJUMP23

Sky blue last night was a lot of fun to watch. She and Anna Jay are great.

I also liked that Harley got some mic time. The segment was a little long but it was funny to see her out there.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's been tweeted out by the official AEW and New Japan accounts so I would assume one of their artists made it. Probably AEW's since its their show.
Ahh ok that’s good I was going to say whoever made this needs to get a job in the wrestling promotion designing posters but looks like they already have.

Top Bottom