• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(WSJ) Harry Potter's Intercollegiate 'Quidditch' Game Grows Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Video and pics at the link

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...PE_hpp_sections_lifestyle#articleTabs=article

Like freshman everywhere, Xander Manshel and his Middlebury College classmates found themselves in their first year of college pondering some of life's biggest mysteries—like how to play Quidditch if you can't, like Harry Potter, fly?

The solution: race around in capes and goggles with broomsticks between your legs, while shooting balls through mounted hula hoops. Their version of the game, first played in 2005, was modeled on matches described in J.K. Rowling's novels.

"Quidditch was this bridge between the fantasy world of the books and the more concrete world of college," says Mr. Manshel, who has graduated and now teaches English. "For us [playing] was a way to have both."

But now Harry has grown-up—and so has the sport. There are tournaments, new rules and special brooms for competitive play. The "Quidditch World Cup" is moving this year to the Big Apple from Middlebury's idyllic campus. More than 60 college and high school teams have registered to compete Nov. 13 and 14—up from 20 last year—at a park in Manhattan.

"Our hope is that it will be a real coming out party for the league," says Alex Benepe—one of the sport's founders and president of the newly formed nonprofit International Quidditch Association. It's now played at hundreds of schools, he says.

But just as Harry experienced growing pains, so has the "muggle" version of the game. (Muggle is the books' term for nonmagical people.) Some players want it to become more serious—with coaches, training and cuts to make the team. Others prefer to retain its innocence and inclusiveness, even for the un-athletic.

The game is "organized, but has a free spirit," says Kate Olen, a senior at Middlebury and its Quidditch commissioner. Initially, the game was more popular with Potter fanatics, but now, "more athletes are coming up," she says.

Valerie Fischman, who plays Quidditch at the University of Maryland, would like to see it go much further. She's been finding out what needs to be done to get the sport NCAA status. That, she says, could "be a stepping stone" to becoming an Olympic sport.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association says typically 40 to 50 schools need to sponsor a varsity sport for it to consider sponsoring a national championship. The most recent sport to gain such status: women's bowling.

Calls to Ms. Rowling's literary agent in London weren't returned. The Quidditch group doesn't have a licensing agreement with the author but has invited her to this year's and previous World Cup championships.

Kristen Howarth, 23, who founded a Quidditch team with her twin sister at Texas A&M, says initially there were snide comments from other organizations on campus. But they say it's gaining acceptance. "Some people still think it's a joke, but when they watch it, they're shocked at how physical it is," says Aimee Howarth.

She worries that if it gets too intense, it might lose some of its whimsical roots. "It's good to be competitive, but we need to keep in some of our original values," she says.

The co-ed game isn't for the timid—pushing, tripping and some tackling is allowed. New rules are designed to prevent some of the broken bones that occurred at last year's World Cup.

Ziang Chen, a sophomore at Purdue University, started a team there last year after seeing videos of the sport. "When I saw how brutal the sport is, I thought I would like to try it," says the former high school football player.

Some see a niche business. A company called Alivan's sells brooms including the "Scarlet Falcon" for $59 and the "Sienna Storm" for $79. Its website says the company "is proud to provide the official broomsticks of Intercollegiate Quidditch." It also notes its brooms "do not fly."

With the World Cup moving to Manhattan, says Will Bellaimey, 22, a former Middlebury player, "We're bringing the championship to the biggest stage in the world."

Indeed, Brant Herman, waiting recently to play baseball at Manhattan's DeWitt Clinton Park, wondered why the tournament was going to be held there rather than "closer to Times Square"—the theater district.

His teammate John Hamilton didn't mind that the tournament would be taking place there, "as long as there are no broken brooms left on the field."

At this year's event, there will be owls and wizards on the sidelines, as in previous years, but also entertainers, some more used to performing in subways. Teams registered range from Ivy League Yale to football powerhouse Ohio State. Some get school funding, while others are unofficial squads, scrambling to find equipment.

When New York University sophomore Sarah Landis heard the championship was coming to New York, she decided it was time to get a team going. More than 60 students attended the first meeting, she says.

"We all secretly wanted to play this sport since we read about it" in the books, says Ms. Landis, who found $3 brooms at a Halloween store near the campus.

On a recent Sunday, more than 50 students, one in a cape, lined up for Middlebury's weekly Quidditch practice. A few dressed all in yellow because they played the role of the "Golden Snitch"—which in the books is a winged ball that usually needs to be caught to end the game.

There's nostalgia on campus about the World Cup, which drew about 2,000 people last year. "It's like being an empty nester," says Anika James, 21, a Middlebury player. "We've seen it grow beyond our borders, but it's sad too."

Soon, Mr. Benepe, of the Quidditch organization, will get the spray-painted plastic trophy cup out of a Middlebury storage closet. (The winning team gets its name written on the cup with a Sharpie pen.)

The group is selling T-shirts and collecting team-entrance fees and donations to raise the roughly $20,000 it says is needed for the tournament. Long term, Mr. Benepe wants to focus on getting students of all ages to play.

But could popularity make the Quidditch magic disappear? Mr. Benepe doesn't think so.

"A lot of sports" he says, have "become more like work. Quidditch is just about playing a game. It's just about having fun."

Ffs, someone teach these kids how to play Ultimate. If this becomes an Olympic sport before frisbee I'm going on a muggle hunt.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
I weep for my generation.
3fJqo.gif

this guy

To win the game you have to catch the guy dressed in all yellow with a ballsack hanging from his ass, while you're holding a fucking broom up against your own weeping testicles. Sounds fun.

Holepunch

Stop carrying around pointless brooms and get rid of the golden snitch and golden snitch seekers or whatever. Make the game like a rugby of trying to move the ball and getting it through the hoops. Keep the bludgeoners, knocking the bludgeons with clubs at the opposing team. Play it in some sort of rink just to keep the balls from rolling out of bounds and preventing the game from being fast paced.

It's still going to suck, but at the very least it'll be more sport than fantasy.

JKBii

This game that caught on like wildfire over the course of a few years sucks. Why don't they play something where the rules at least make sense, like soccer?

345triangle said:
hell, scoring is irrelevant to winning. i'm fairly sure jk rowling is not a sports fan

In the books, scoring helps but only if its a massive blowout.

But yeah, the game is broken, how the hell do they play?

Quidditch in the books is just a plot device intended to allow Harry to be the hero and save the day singlehandedly. I don't even think the Golden Snitch being worth 150 points is all that unbalanced… except for the fact that the game doesn't end until the Snitch is caught. If the game had a defined time limit and seekers caught the snitch maybe once in every ten games, Quidditch would be a sport you could reasonably have people enjoying within the logic of the fantasy world. As it is now though, it's horribly contrived.

Also f*ck Avada Kedavra. An unblockable killing spell that doesn't take any longer to cast than any other spell or have any big negative effects (like draining you to the point of exhaustion or making you impotent or having a huge recharge time during which you can't cast any other spells or something) makes magic duels so... pointless.

She basically uses a bunch of contrivances, maguffins and deus ex machinas in her earlier books and the story suffers for them so much later on.

Rowling built a fascinating world for her stories to take place in. I just wish she'd thought some of these things through before putting them to paper.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thagomizer said:
Quiddich wouldn't have been half as stupid if the Snitch didn't effectively render the rest of the game moot.
The idea in practice is that you score so often that you actually are up by 150+ pts. all the time; so you have to go into a defensive mode whereby you have to spot it and prevent the other player from retrieving it.

It would have been far more plausible if it was worth 30 pts. because even Americans have difficult accepting that you would reasonably be up by 15 scores, much less in association football where games end 1-0 all the time.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Yeah, as a (relatively) big Harry Potter fan, I have to admit that Quidditch is probably one of the worst ideas Rowling came up with. At its most basic level (wizard sport! Flying brooms!) it's good. But as someone else pointed out, it's obvious Rowling knows nothing about any real sports. The Snitch is... just terrible.

The funniest thing is that I imagine Rowling watching US Football or NBA basketball and to her it looks just as silly, arbitrary, and contrived as the Snitch looks to us. So that's why Quidditch turned out the way it did :lol

J-Roderton

EschatonDX said:
yeah a handful people at my school play this nonexistent sport. weird motherfuckers.

You don't go to Concord do you you? :lol We also have them. Entertaining to say the least.

They play this during the fall at the university I go to. Gotta say, it looked fucking stupid but I've never played. I stopped and talked to them, asked what they were doing, what the rules were, how would you implement a snitch, etc. They were all really nice about it, invited me to play and everything.Gotta say, I'm a huge HP fan and it's really cool seeing other fans being...fans, but I'd never play. I'm way too vain.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Quidditch in the books is just a plot device intended to allow Harry to be the hero and save the day singlehandedly. I don't even think the Golden Snitch being worth 150 points is all that unbalanced… except for the fact that the game doesn't end until the Snitch is caught. If the game had a defined time limit and seekers caught the snitch maybe once in every ten games, Quidditch would be a sport you could reasonably have people enjoying within the logic of the fantasy world. As it is now though, it's horribly contrived.

Also f*ck Avada Kedavra. An unblockable killing spell that doesn't take any longer to cast than any other spell or have any big negative effects (like draining you to the point of exhaustion or making you impotent or having a huge recharge time during which you can't cast any other spells or something) makes magic duels so... pointless.

She basically uses a bunch of contrivances, maguffins and deus ex machinas in her earlier books and the story suffers for them so much later on.

Rowling built a fascinating world for her stories to take place in. I just wish she'd thought some of these things through before putting them to paper.

The fact that the ultimate killing spell is clearly based around abracadabra should suggest that she's probably taking the piss. I'm guessing she started the books off as a nice fun adventure story then got way out of her depth when it turned into a fucking religion.

The later books are way too dark and grim for younger kids, lack pacing, are padded out to ridiculous lengths (700 page kids book that could probably be done in around 300) and are pretty fucking dull, yet everyone lapped them up as they got caught up in the hype.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
mrklaw said:
The fact that the ultimate killing spell is clearly based around abracadabra should suggest that she's probably taking the piss. I'm guessing she started the books off as a nice fun adventure story then got way out of her depth when it turned into a fucking religion.

The later books are way too dark and grim for younger kids, lack pacing, are padded out to ridiculous lengths (700 page kids book that could probably be done in around 300) and are pretty fucking dull, yet everyone lapped them up as they got caught up in the hype.

Um..

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cadaver

Almost all Harry Potter spells are some gibberish bit of latin combined with a stylized version of the word describing what the spell does...

apana

Um...how are they doing this? Doesnt the game suck unless you can actually fly on a broom somehow?

Edit: Oh wow just read the article. :lol

Kozak

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:

Do you even know what you're talking about?

You can't just cast Avada Kedvra. If it were that simple why do you think the Order never used it? You have to be pretty fucked up to be able to use and remember it tears your soul into 7 pieces.

El Sloth

Banned
apana said:
Um...how are they doing this? Doesnt the game suck unless you can actually fly on a broom somehow?

Edit: Oh wow just read the article. :lol
Watch the video, it's even better!

Mana Sin

Kozak said:

You can't just cast Avada Kedvra. If it were that simple why do you think the Order never used it? You have to be pretty fucked up to be able to use and remember it tears your soul into 7 pieces.

No it doesn't. If that were true, everyone on the dark side would be immortal. Horcrux creation is a little more complicated, hence why only Voldemort did it instead of his entire "Inner Circle".

GCX

mrklaw said:
The series was supposed to grow up with the reader. You know, like I was 10 when I read the first Potter book and almost 20 when the last part came out.

Cirruss

Playing WoW too much led me to just assume the reason death eaters could just spam Avada Kedavra was because they had talent points in it. It made it a little more balanced in my mind at least :p

Kozak said:

Death eaters spam it like crazy. It made zero sense that the Order would never use it in a life or death situation, even when they all knew the only way to stop Voldemort was to kill him. Are you telling me that Harry, after using the Crucio crap in book 5 (and getting no consequences) wouldn't have used avada cadavre at any point in 6 or 7? Even when he fought Snape?

louis89

I always thought that Quidditch would work quite well if catching the snitch ended the game on the current scores without actually giving you any points.

As for avada kedavra, saying it makes duels pointless is like saying guns make all other weapons pointless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GCX said:
The series was supposed to grow up with the reader. You know, like I was 10 when I read the first Potter book and almost 20 when the last part came out.

which is fine for those readers that started reading when she finished the first book. My son (and pretty much anyone from now on) only started reading them when they were all finished, so we read them pretty much back to back. They don't work well like that IMO. The first book is great for an 8-9 year old, but the latter ones aren't. Its not that they're too scary, they're just a little emo, which 8-year-olds don't get.

louis89 said:
I always thought that Quidditch would work quite well if catching the snitch ended the game on the current scores without actually giving you any points.

As for avada kedavra, saying it makes duels pointless is like saying guns make all other weapons pointless.
Other weapons are pointless if you're always carrying a gun. It's like having a fully loaded machine gun and instead of shooting it, you attempt to run up to your opponents to beat them to death with the butt.

mrklaw said:
which is fine for those readers that started reading when she finished the first book. My son (and pretty much anyone from now on) only started reading them when they were all finished, so we read them pretty much back to back. They don't work well like that IMO. The first book is great for an 8-9 year old, but the latter ones aren't. Its not that they're too scary, they're just a little emo, which 8-year-olds don't get.

Then don't let your kid read them until he's older? It's not the author's responsibility to write what you think is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom