• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Wrestlemania 22 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Bloodwake said:
Wow.

I hope McMahon, and especially Orton, felt like shit throughout that entire portion of the program.
I'm sure Orton felt bad, but he was just doing what he had to do to keep his job. And Vince is a soulless asshole.

Reave

Bret seemed kind of jittery, didn't seem like he knew what he wanted to say. I would have expected a speech with more substance, and powerful words directed at the WWE and such.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Austins Jab at Hulk made the show :lol :lol :lol

That being said, both Eddie's and Bret's induction were awsome

evil ways

Looks like either USA or WWE decided to cut Bret's speech short.

- During Bret Hart's induction speech, he told a lot of Owen Hart and Jim Neidhart stories. There were no references towards Shawn Michaels, except for Bret telling a story about how he once disciplined his son, so his son went to his room and came out with a Shawn Michaels shirt and glove on and said he was "in the kliq". Bret said while WWE took a lot from him, they gave him a lot too. Bret finished his speech about 15 minutes after 11pm (that's Eastern time, not Chicago time).

MC Safety

Wrestlers seem so petty, so childish, and so mean-spirited. Even if 80 percent of it is fake or whatever, it's still pretty awesome how like 4-year-olds they are.

Cool show, and puts a nice cap on Eddie and bret's careers both.

To be honest, I hope Bret is a man of his word and DOES NOT show up at Mania tomorrow. HE's been true to his words so far and I'd like it to stay that way.

The only way I would like to see Bret come back to WWE is if he managed some "pure wrestling" stable....

...if he did come out some time during mania i would leap from my seat though and do laps around the room.

Kenobi

Keyser Soze said:
Bret "Censored Man" Hart.....

...Here comes 10 more years of anger!!

Well, if anything i think he'd probably come back for Owen's induction, say perhaps, next year?

Guzim

Kenobi said:
Wasn't the Austin/Hogan match idea nixed 'cause Austin didn't want to work with him at mania?
I think it was nixed because Austin walked out on the company in October for Taboo Tuesday.

evil ways

Kenobi said:
Wasn't the Austin/Hogan match idea nixed 'cause Austin didn't want to work with him at mania?

It was a combination of the Taboo Tuesday walkout and Austin being busy filming his movie.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You didn't miss anything. It was boring.

Sherri's speech was worth it. She was either drunk out her mind or she's a hell of a talker.

joeposh

I was there, and let me just tell you, outside of the televised portion, Sheri was the induction of the night. I think she was kinda tipsy when she got up there because she just started telling stories about Flair, impersonating the macho man and shouting back at Hecklers. The whole thing was quite amusing and led to her getting a really positive response from the bulk of the crowd at the end (much more enthusiastic then when she first came out).

Overall it was a good show. I did have some complaints though, first off the lighting in the balcony section was absolutely blinding. The crowd actually chanted "turn 'em off, turn 'em off" for a few minutes at the start of the show since it was so hard to see with them pointed right into our faces. The other thing I didn't appreciate were the hecklers. Yes I know this is pro wrestling and it's almost expected, but tonight was supposed to honor people. When Tony Atlas is up there and says "I'm so grateful to have this chance to say to speak to you all and since I probably will never have an oppertunity like this again, I just want to say..." and people scream out "I'M HUNGRY!" it's not appropriate. Or when someone keeps yelling KRISTAL!!!! at the top of their lungs whenever she's on stage and someone is giving an acceptance speech. I also thought it was lame for people to chant one more match towards Bret, but I'll just assume they didn't know the extent of his injuries and let that one go.

I also thought the Cena stuff was in poor taste. I don't like the guy either, but he's there to honor someone (a hometown idol no less), so chanting profanities and not letting him speak displays a total lack of class/maturity in my opinion.

Shinobi

joeposh said:
I was there, and let me just tell you, outside of the televised portion, Sheri was the induction of the night. I think she was kinda tipsy when she got up there because she just started telling stories about Flair, impersonating the macho man and shouting back at Hecklers. The whole thing was quite amusing and led to her getting a really positive response from the bulk of the crowd at the end (much more enthusiastic then when she first came out).

Overall it was a good show. I did have some complaints though, first off the lighting in the balcony section was absolutely blinding. The crowd actually chanted "turn 'em off, turn 'em off" for a few minutes at the start of the show since it was so hard to see with them pointed right into our faces. The other thing I didn't appreciate were the hecklers. Yes I know this is pro wrestling and it's almost expected, but tonight was supposed to honor people. When Tony Atlas is up there and says "I'm so grateful to have this chance to say to speak to you all and since I probably will never have an oppertunity like this again, I just want to say..." and people scream out "I'M HUNGRY!" it's not appropriate. Or when someone keeps yelling KRISTAL!!!! at the top of their lungs whenever she's on stage and someone is giving an acceptance speech. I also thought it was lame for people to chant one more match towards Bret, but I'll just assume they didn't know the extent of his injuries and let that one go.

I also thought the Cena stuff was in poor taste. I don't like the guy either, but he's there to honor someone (a hometown idol no less), so chanting profanities and not letting him speak displays a total lack of class/maturity in my opinion.

Shit like this is why wrestling fans will never be respected...nor do they deserve to be.

joeposh

Shinobi said:
Shit like this is why wrestling fans will never be respected...nor do they deserve to be.

The sad thing is, with the exception of the Cena chants, the majority of the crowd was quite civil and respectful. It only takes a few asshats trying to get on tv or get an acknowledgement from the speaker to ruin that though.

Also, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but The Weasel's April Fools thing was awesome too.

Bloodwake said:
He had throat cancer... come on.

didnt know

feel bad now

he seemd drunk!

edit:

so anyways, I go tomorrow... my seat sucks, it was a $100 ticket, which is amazing that $100 ticket is a shitty seat, but whatever.. cant wait to go, and cant wait to see RAW on Monday too... any ideas on what i should bring? I figure ill go get a camera or two to take lots of pictures, as going to "wrestlemania" was one of the top things I wanted to do in my life (like also go to the kentucky derby, indy 500, etc etc).. guess ill get a shirt, a shot glass, etc?

joeposh

EnvoyDenali said:
didnt know

feel bad now

he seemd drunk!

edit:

so anyways, I go tomorrow... my seat sucks, it was a $100 ticket, which is amazing that $100 ticket is a shitty seat, but whatever.. cant wait to go, and cant wait to see RAW on Monday too... any ideas on what i should bring? I figure ill go get a camera or two to take lots of pictures, as going to "wrestlemania" was one of the top things I wanted to do in my life (like also go to the kentucky derby, indy 500, etc etc).. guess ill get a shirt, a shot glass, etc?

There were still a few 300 dollar seats open as of yesterday (I think they released more tickets) that's too rich for my blood. I would have killed for something in the 100-200 dollar level though.

As for what to bring, unless you have a witty sign idea, all you really need is a camera.

joeposh said:
There were still a few 300 dollar seats open as of yesterday (I think they released more tickets) that's too rich for my blood. I would have killed for something in the 100-200 dollar level though.

As for what to bring, unless you have a witty sign idea, all you really need is a camera.

they must have released some extras this week, i heard they had an extra 100 or so tickets to release last minute... $300 is too rich I think but I'd h ave considered it.. $100 is awfully expensive for me and ANY event, but its wrestlemania. so fuck it.. the $40 tickets are basically worthless as they are restricted viewing... $75/100 is the "cheap seats" which is pretty amazing.

edit:
wrestlemania doesnt have any of those last minute tix avail.. and RAW is sold out now too, which I'd really like to go to.. I guess smackdown is in peoria, IL on tuesday but thats like 2-2.5 hr drive for me from chicago, maybe will go anyways though.

joeposh

I typed up some stuff on the Bret Hart induction speech for another site since apparently not much of it made it to air. I thought I should pass it on to you guys as well:

I'm not sure where the television broadcast cut out, but Bret shared numerous stories about Owen and Jim the Anvil, discussed his love for the Hart Foundation with Pillman, Owen, Bulldog and Anvil (Pillman's name got a great pop).

He shared a story in which his youngest son wouldn't go to bed one night a few months before "the screwjob". Bret yelled at him and told him to go to sleep, so his son marched up to his room, slammed some doors and generally made it clear he wasn't happy. A few minutes later he came downstairs decked out in Shawn Michaels stuff (hat, shirt, etc) and Bret asked "Exactly what are you supposed to be?" and his son answered "I'm in the Klique". He said he shared that story with Shawn after it happened, and while he always felt bad about having to be away from his kids so much, everything he did was for them.

He also told a story about going out to a strip club with Owen and Niedhart after "One Night In Texas". He said that Hogan, Vince and the Road Warriors were there too and that Vince was pretty messed up. According to Bret, Hogan was stirring the shit, as he often does (which led to a priceless shot of Hogan looking pissed), and before you knew it Hawk and Animal were talking about hitting their finisher on Vince. Before you knew it, they had vince up in the air and executed a "powder puff" clothes line off a table, while Hogan and others caught vince from behind. Upon seeing this, the Anvil stroked his beard and remarked "Hart Foundation would have done it for real". Bret knew it was time to leave because another shot or two of Jack Daniels and that would become a reality. But they stuck around, and sure enough the Anvil ended up getting Vince in a bear hug while Bret leaped at him.

There were a number of other anecdotes he shared, but those were the two (besides the numerous Owen the pankster stories) that really stood out. I did not get the impression that Bret didn't want to be there AT ALL, he just seemed a bit overwhelmed and saddened that he couldn't be in the business the way he wanted. Part of the crowd (who I have to assume weren't very versed in his condition) started a "One more match" chant... and Bret choked up a bit saying "I wish I could... I wish I could have one more match..." before moving on.

He actually went on so long that they had the "sign guy", who I assume is the WWE Hall of Fame version of the "Wrap it up box", pester him with a number of signs (he also came out when Sheri was rambling on). So this idea that Bret was phoning it in is rediculous. Hopefully they'll include the full speech on the DVD release).

Also, one last aside about Hogan. One thing that I noticed before the zingers started flying his way, was that Hogan didn't seem to pay any attention to Bret's highlight reel. Whenever a montage played, all the people on stage would turn around and watch the screen respectfully, Hogan did exactly that for Mene Gene and Eddie, but when Bret's came up he just sat there looking like he couldn't care less. That made the little swipes he received shortly after all the sweeter.

joeposh

If you live near Chicago and want tickets, go to ticketmaster.com NOW!!! I just picked up a 200 dollar ticket in a great section and there seem to be scattered seats still up in the 200-750 (ringside) range. Ahhh I'm going to Wrestlemania!

DMczaf

joeposh said:
I typed up some stuff on the Bret Hart induction speech for another site since apparently not much of it made it to air. I thought I should pass it on to you guys as well:

I'm not sure where the television broadcast cut out, but Bret shared numerous stories about Owen and Jim the Anvil, discussed his love for the Hart Foundation with Pillman, Owen, Bulldog and Anvil (Pillman's name got a great pop).

He shared a story in which his youngest son wouldn't go to bed one night a few months before "the screwjob". Bret yelled at him and told him to go to sleep, so his son marched up to his room, slammed some doors and generally made it clear he wasn't happy. A few minutes later he came downstairs decked out in Shawn Michaels stuff (hat, shirt, etc) and Bret asked "Exactly what are you supposed to be?" and his son answered "I'm in the Klique". He said he shared that story with Shawn after it happened, and while he always felt bad about having to be away from his kids so much, everything he did was for them.

He also told a story about going out to a strip club with Owen and Niedhart after "One Night In Texas". He said that Hogan, Vince and the Road Warriors were there too and that Vince was pretty messed up. According to Bret, Hogan was stirring the shit, as he often does (which led to a priceless shot of Hogan looking pissed), and before you knew it Hawk and Animal were talking about hitting their finisher on Vince. Before you knew it, they had vince up in the air and executed a "powder puff" clothes line off a table, while Hogan and others caught vince from behind. Upon seeing this, the Anvil stroked his beard and remarked "Hart Foundation would have done it for real". Bret knew it was time to leave because another shot or two of Jack Daniels and that would become a reality. But they stuck around, and sure enough the Anvil ended up getting Vince in a bear hug while Bret leaped at him.

There were a number of other anecdotes he shared, but those were the two (besides the numerous Owen the pankster stories) that really stood out. I did not get the impression that Bret didn't want to be there AT ALL, he just seemed a bit overwhelmed and saddened that he couldn't be in the business the way he wanted. Part of the crowd (who I have to assume weren't very versed in his condition) started a "One more match" chant... and Bret choked up a bit saying "I wish I could... I wish I could have one more match..." before moving on.

He actually went on so long that they had the "sign guy", who I assume is the WWE Hall of Fame version of the "Wrap it up box", pester him with a number of signs (he also came out when Sheri was rambling on). So this idea that Bret was phoning it in is rediculous. Hopefully they'll include the full speech on the DVD release).

Also, one last aside about Hogan. One thing that I noticed before the zingers started flying his way, was that Hogan didn't seem to pay any attention to Bret's highlight reel. Whenever a montage played, all the people on stage would turn around and watch the screen respectfully, Hogan did exactly that for Mene Gene and Eddie, but when Bret's came up he just sat there looking like he couldn't care less. That made the little swipes he received shortly after all the sweeter.

WTF? So WWE gives us the entire Tony Atlus speech, but cuts Bret's down to like 5 mins? :lol

The DVD better have the whole thing, it sounds like he was happy to be there.

DMczaf

660.jpg

Looks like Bret found his new Sunny!

609.jpg

So many more great matches these 2 should have had. :(

Fuck Goldberg.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
DMczaf said:
WTF? So WWE gives us the entire Tony Atlus speech, but cuts Bret's down to like 5 mins? :lol

The DVD better have the whole thing, it sounds like he was happy to be there.

Yeah, the DVD is gonna have the whole speech

Rumor goin around WWE may announce that Wrestlemania 23 will be held in Detroit at Ford Field. Looks like they're finally goin back to the big stadiums for Wrestlemania.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom