• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 cost rumor/update

old? fake?
If you go to Walmart, there´s a flyer listing the XBox360 at US$ 299,96.

Now, it´s important you pick (and keep) the flyer, because even if the console cost more (very unlikely, but still), the fact there´s a flyer listing this price means the store HAS to sell it to your for 299,96.
-Anonymous

found it on another forum (4chan), anyone seen the ad?

Lo-Volt

There's no Wal Mart near me, so I haven't. Is there proof of this advertisement, like an undoctored scan of the flyer? Did Anon. say which Wal Mart store he or she visited to get this flyer, like a town and state? And does Wal Mart use pricing like that, with 96 cents as opposed to zero or 99?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
but walmart said Nintendo DS was gonna be $200!
***SMACK***

QUIET YOU! I NEED THE MONKEYS TO DANCE FOR ME!

Lo-Volt said:
There's no Wal Mart near me, so I haven't. Is there proof of this advertisement, like an undoctored scan of the flyer? Did Anon. say which Wal Mart store he or she visited to get this flyer, like a town and state? And does Wal Mart use pricing like that, with 96 cents as opposed to zero or 99?

yes, Wal*Mart uses pricing like that, I work at Wal*Mart, but I have not seen this flyer :)

Mrbob

$59.99 software isn't low enough.

I demand $69.99. But only for quality X360 projects like Tony Hawk American Wasteland.

beanoboy7

Mrbob said:
$59.99 software isn't low enough.

I demand $69.99. But only for quality X360 projects like Tony Hawk American Wasteland.

Dude are you serious, my Dreamcast can pull off those graphics

jarrod

Banned
Come on... we all know what's going to happen...

Xbox 360 console~ $299.99
Xbox 360 controller~ $34.99
Xbox 360 64MB memory card~ $39.99
Xbox 360 games (MGS, EA, R*, Activision)~ $59.99
Xbox 360 games (everybody else)~ $49.99

HyperionX

More rumors here: http://theinquirer.net/?article=25076

Xbox 360 price leaked claim

XNA not easy to program

By Aaron McKenna: Tuesday 02 August 2005, 11:00
[Advert]
ACCORDING to unconfirmed leaks from employees of the ubiquitous American retail giant Wal-Mart, the Xbox 360 is to go to retail at a price of $299.99 which is around what has been expected.

There's no confirmation of this from Microsoft, which has kept mum about the price and even exact launch date of the console.

Games are expected to retail above what we had hoped for, with big launch titles Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing3 marked at $59.99 by the Wal-Mart leaking.

The Wal-Mart "leak" is reported here, and the "XNA is a bitch to program for" is from an obviously unnamed source, but it’s credible.

While we’re in rumour mode there have been mumblings coming from developers about the ease of use of the XNA development system which Microsoft has touted up as simple as pie and much more flexible than Sony’s system. Of course developers will always complain and the proof will be in the pudding we suspect, but it’s a niggle. µ

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
metdroid said:

I'm not sure what the law is like in America, but here the store doesn't have to sell you something at a particular price just because it's labelled at that price. The sign with the price (or flyer, or whatever), is an "invitation to treat", or an invitation to you to make an offer to the store for the goods, which they can subsequently reject. So if the price turned out differently, and the law is like that in America, Walmart would not have to honor that price just because you have that flyer.

That said, I think $300 for X360 is a given.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yes, but I'm afraid that this time they are cooking something special for us. I really hope to be proven wrong, though.

Sullichin

Y2Kevbug11 said:
About where? I live in Northern NJ too and there is one in Saddle Brook. Any further north and people I know end up going to Monroe, NY.

I know, pathetic.

There's one in Woodbridge, too. Wal-Marts are everywhere..

Anyway, why would this be in the flyer in-store but not the one you get in the newspaper? The one i get with APP doesn't say anything about Xbox 360.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jarrod said:
I'm thinking...

Xbox 360~ $299.99
PlayStation 3~ $349.99
Revolution~ $249.99

Sony would be wise to come up at the most at $350. I'm still wouldn't be too happy about it though and it would still be hard to swallow.

raYne

jarrod said:
I'm thinking...

Xbox 360~ $299.99
PlayStation 3~ $349.99
Revolution~ $249.99
I agree with your thinking.*

Except the Sony price is backwards. $999.43!

----

Banned
With the way that Kutaragi is hyping up how expensive it will be to get a PS3 I would think it would be more than $400, maybe even $500. But that could all just be a ploy so that when the console is only $350 you think that it is not that expensive. On the otherhand the PS3 has Gigabit ethernet, slot loading Blu-Ray drive, dual HDMI outputs, bluetooth, wi-fi and a million USB and media ports, so it probably will be more than $400. I don't care so much about the price of the console as I do about the price of the games which are going to be bundled at every single retailer. If the average retailer bundles 2-3 $60 games with the PS3 how expensive is it going to end up being to buy one at launch? Is Sony going to be stupid enough to price themselves out of competition with Microsoft?

sangreal

I really think the PS3 price hype is just meant so that people think its incredibly powerful and worth way more than $299.

Mashing

gofreak said:
I'm not sure what the law is like in America, but here the store doesn't have to sell you something at a particular price just because it's labelled at that price. The sign with the price (or flyer, or whatever), is an "invitation to treat", or an invitation to you to make an offer to the store for the goods, which they can subsequently reject. So if the price turned out differently, and the law is like that in America, Walmart would not have to honor that price just because you have that flyer.

That said, I think $300 for X360 is a given.

I know from personal experience that if there is a misprint in a flyer they have to honor the flyer (happened when I went to Frys a while back). I believe it's a law but I'm not sure.

crunker99

It used to be a law here in New York but now it is not. You will see signs in the store sayign things like "The blah blah blah product advertised in our date/date/date flyer for 9.99 was a misprint, the real price is 19.99"

Then youre boned - you still get it im sure if you are like the first guy to point it out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sangreal said:
I really think the PS3 price hype is just meant so that people think its incredibly powerful and worth way more than $299.

yeah. All sony want to do is be in control of pricing. They have been with PS2, and now with Xbox 360 launching first, they have flexibility again.

They can tout its power, preparing people for super expensive PS3. Then when its 'only' $349, people will be relieved. And its still a slight premium over X360 - because its 'better' of course :) Favourite Sony tactic, and it makes them more money too (well lose less money)

mrklaw said:
yeah. All sony want to do is be in control of pricing. They have been with PS2, and now with Xbox 360 launching first, they have flexibility again.

They can tout its power, preparing people for super expensive PS3. Then when its 'only' $349, people will be relieved. And its still a slight premium over X360 - because its 'better' of course :) Favourite Sony tactic, and it makes them more money too (well lose less money)
I'd bet on a $350 value pack, with a packed-in MS and some other nice but relatively cheap stuff for Sony to include. Retains the perception of a $300 console, but Sony gets $30-$40 more per unit and unloads $10-$20 worth of cheap, but necessary, accessories.

Chiggs

Gold Member
sangreal said:

Agreed, but I actually think it is worth more than $299.99. I'd pay $399.99 for it. If the rumored specs boost rumor is accurate, say 512 megs to 1 gig, I'd have no problem paying $499.99 for it, provided it came with a small memory stick and cables.

Neex

Banned
jarrod said:
Come on... we all know what's going to happen...

Xbox 360 console~ $299.99
Xbox 360 controller~ $34.99
Xbox 360 64MB memory card~ $39.99
Xbox 360 games (MGS, EA, R*, Activision)~ $59.99
Xbox 360 games (everybody else)~ $49.99

Ah! How do you do it?! It must be black magic!

Mashing said:
I know from personal experience that if there is a misprint in a flyer they have to honor the flyer (happened when I went to Frys a while back). I believe it's a law but I'm not sure.

It depends. Most of the time, the store can get by providing appropriate signage and an explanation that it was TRULY an error and not false advertising. There have been millions of these kinds of cases and the retailer almost never takes a bath.

From a customer service and PR standpoint, they will bend, but they don't break.

Phoenix

Mashing said:

Its not law here in the US. They can print a retraction notice anywhere in the store stating that it was a pricing error and they have done all they need to do. There is no law forcing them to honor pricing errors.

Top Bottom