• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Euro Release 29/11/05 - Price:£399 (Play.com [Grain Of Salt And All That Stuff])

u_neek

Pseudo judo said:
MS already said the target price was $300. Why would the charge Europe $200 more then the rest of us?

Because Europeans always get screwed. This price can't be right tho...

thorns

Banned
play.com kicks ass! they're ~25% cheaper than the game shops in sweden and when I pre-order I get the game on the release date, no shipping cost and really great prices.
That said, that xbox 360 page seems just a place holder, just look at the games list I mean..

Didn't Peter Moore already specifically state that they weren't going to make the same mistakes in EU again? (late launch and considerably more expensive than US Xbox)

123rl

That price won't be real. Play usually put in estimated prices until they know the real details. Gotta say, I hope it's false because £400? Ouch :lol I won't be buying one if it's anything close to that price!

Midas

thorns said:
play.com kicks ass! they're ~25% cheaper than the game shops in sweden and when I pre-order I get the game on the release date, no shipping cost and really great prices.
That said, that xbox 360 page seems just a place holder, just look at the games list I mean..

With no custom fees nor tax?

The Xbox will probably fail horribly at that price. I think they're overestimating their brand (if they choose to launch at that price which wouldn't surprise me).

Worm_Buffet said:
The Xbox will probably fail horribly at that price. I think they're overestimating their brand (if they choose to launch at that price which wouldn't surprise me).

MS had already admitted that the original Xbox's price in europe was gossly over inflated. It's why they were forced to drop the price only 2 weeks after the systems European debut. Do you really think there's a chance that they not only plan on repeating the admitted error but charge an extra $100 for good measure?

I think not.

thorns

Banned
Midas said:
With no custom fees nor tax?

No, they ship anywhere within EU for free, and since it 's within EU you don't have to pay anything. They don't have a very wide inventory, but you can get some games very cheap..

BTW amazon.co.uk has some very good deals right now, 3months xbox live with headset + rallisport challenge 2 for £14, pes 4 for £7, kotor 2 for £14 etc..

Blimblim

The Inside Track
MS Redmond had forced the price for the european launch of Xbox. This time MS Europe is in charge and hopefully they won't make the same mistake...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Elios83 said:
399€ it's my bet on the european launch price.

Way too much. €300 tops, at least I certainly won't spend more than that this xmas. As it is I've got a big backlog of current-gen games...I'd buy into next-gen this year at €300 but absolutely no more.

€399 = $500

Elios83

gofreak said:
Way too much. €300 tops, at least I certainly won't spend more than that this xmas. As it is I've got a big backlog of current-gen games...I'd buy into next-gen this year at €300 but absolutely no more.

€399 = $500

You will be disappointed IMO. 350€ is really the minimum price they can do in Europe if they want to be aggressive.
And I think that since they're the first on the market and this time they have a recognized brand they will try with 399€.

ram

u_neek said:
Because Europeans always get screwed. This price can't be right tho...

ha ha ha - i remember the xbox1 price get totally dumped in germany within days. :lol

Benedict

thorns said:
No, they ship anywhere within EU for free, and since it 's within EU you don't have to pay anything. They don't have a very wide inventory, but you can get some games very cheap..

No, play.com is not within EU, since it's on Jersey. That means that your item may get stuck in customs, and taxes added. But that is very unusual.

123rl

No it's not. Jersey is part of the UK (but VAT-exempt). Anything sold from Jersey is 100% guaranteed not to attract any customs charges.

thorns

Banned
What's Jersey?? I guess that's why it's so cheap though.. I don't really mind not paying VAT, I pay a shitload of taxes anyway!

Midas

thorns said:

BTW amazon.co.uk has some very good deals right now, 3months xbox live with headset + rallisport challenge 2 for £14, pes 4 for £7, kotor 2 for £14 etc..

That's nice. I guess I need to check amazon when I get my salary next month. How much is the shipping for a game?

123rl

It's a little island (near South-East England iirc). It's tiny and is a haven for businesses who set up on the island and sell to Europe - it's in the EU (technically) and is free of VAT, but is still under British regulations.

Where do you live, thorns? I know anywhere in the EU wouldn't have a problem ordering from Play but I don't know what happens if you wanted it posted to America, for example.

I absolutly expect a launch price at 249€ and more probably 199€ for the console (without games) in Europe.

Why?
Because the market in Europe is the most importend next gen. The only market growing fast. In the US MS is the home player and some may think they have the slight possiblity to win against Sony, while they know that in Japan and Asia they have absolutly no chance of winning. So if MS is going for number one they *need* to be aggressive in Europe. And they *know* that in Europe Xbox only become an interesting option at a price of 279€ and below. (I can remember some insane bundles too, like 4 games and 3 DVD's with the remote at that time in retail).

They *must* get out the 360's as fast as possible out of the door to gain as much headstart as possibly. No if's and no but's. And with a price higher than 249€ they will only convince their hardcore fans in Europe and will hardly attract new people.

thorns

Banned
Midas said:
That's nice. I guess I need to check amazon when I get my salary next month. How much is the shipping for a game?

amazon shipping can be rather expensive.. around £5 to sweden I think :(

It's a little island (near South-East England iirc). It's tiny and is a haven for businesses who set up on the island and sell to Europe - it's in the EU (technically) and is free of VAT, but is still under British regulations.

Where do you live, thorns? I know anywhere in the EU wouldn't have a problem ordering from Play but I don't know what happens if you wanted it posted to America, for example.

I live in Sweden, so haven't had any problems at all, and delivery has been very fast.. For example Forza was being released on a Friday, they shipped it on the Tuesday before it and I got it in the post on Friday. Can't really complain about that.. Most new games cost either £30(400SEK) or £33(440SEK) on the site vs 600SEK in shops. So I see how they go around VAT, because otherwise they wouldn't be able to have such low prices for games..

123rl

I live in Sweden, so haven't had any problems at all, and delivery has been very fast.. For example Forza was being released on a Friday, they shipped it on the Tuesday before it and I got it in the post on Friday. Can't really complain about that.. Most new games cost either £30(400SEK) or £33(440SEK) on the site vs 600SEK in shops. So I see how they go around VAT, because otherwise they wouldn't be able to have such low prices for games..

Ok you're fine then for customs and duty. I really like Play - they usually sell stuff at about 25% lower than UK RRP and even throw in free shipping! I've used them for years and I've always been impressed with them. If I order a new game the Monday before release, it's sent out on Tuesday and arrives here for Thursday

Here's the link: http://www.play.com/play247.asp?sea...archstring=xbox+360&page=search&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

btw £400 is about $730! Trust me when I say there is NO way it will sell at that price...I certainly won't touch it until it's about £250

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Consider what MS are trying to do next gen - global domination - I predict the base model to be around 200 quid in the UK.

And maybe the games will be 45 quid but I really hope not.

Danj

Why is anyone surprised by this? Stuff is always a ripoff in Europe, why would Xbox 360 be any different? The online stores were predicting £179 launch price for the PSP, people were saying "oh no, they won't make it that expensive" but then SCEE announced it for September 1st at £179.

For some reason consoles always launch at US$ = UK£

I would be very surprised if any next gen console launches at anything other than $300 in the US and £300 in the UK.

If they go for £399 they will be crucified IMO.

Shompola

Banned
I have bought stuff from play.com and I payed tax... Some people seem to mix up tax with toll fees. Jersey is free of duty/toll fees but not tax fees.

xexex

Banned
price *should* be £249 if Microsoft was serious about being fair to the UK and europe, assuming a $299 U.S. launch price

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
Are we talking Euros or Great British Pounds (which is what Play gives)?

because £399 == $728 (US dollars)

:/

thorns

Banned
I'm almost sure that the price will be in € what it would be in $..
So if it launches for $300 in US, it will be in €300 in europe, since that's how the prices have been for a while (xbox costs €150 for example).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good luck on 300 Euro. More likely £300, 400Euro, $300. Don't forget sales tax in Europe is way higher than the US, and cost of goods is higher due to languages and fragmented distribution.

Plus Sony have used £299 for their previous launches, so why not use the same, and then consider a drop for PS3 launch?

Yes, lower is nicer, but there is a balance between supply, demand, and amazingly there is a limit to how much MS can bleed.

swordsman

Banned
I know we as europeaners always get screwed.
I think that MS are going to put the price for the europe regions @ E 350 eventhough the price in the US is $300.

callous

bo'dastalie said:
And with a price higher than 249€ they will only convince their hardcore fans in Europe and will hardly attract new people.

I absolutely agree with this. Anything higher than this and MS won't gain many new friends in Europe. People will wait for PS3. Most will anyway, but at least at €199-€249 MS stands a chance of getting a higher share than with Xbox.

Top Bottom