• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next |OT| Take up your sword and seek the Dragon Slayer!

So this is more of a progression question, but
I'm in the first real dungeon. I've gotten to a point where I can't figure out where to go. There is a missing staircase at one end, then the other end has two staircases block by boulders.
Any help would be appreciated.

Do you see torches in the room prior to both blocked stairwells?

So first time player, should I just go for mouse+kb, or is it actually better with a pad?
Gamepad can be more comfortable after enough tweaking, but will always operate worse if you like to change skills/items on the fly. My play style for this run is typical, so I'm trying gamepad out and will use kb/m for when I do a mage run.

Dio

Banned

Gamepad can be more comfortable after enough tweaking, but will always operate worse if you like to change skills/items on the fly. My play style for this run is typical, so I'm trying gamepad out and will use kb/m for when I do a mage run.

Yeah, it really just depends on how you set either of them up IMO.

I played through the entirety of Ys Oath in Felghana AND Origin on mouse and keyboard, multiple times on Nightmare/Inferno difficulty on mouse + kb although some people will ask you "what the fuck how could you do it like that?"

Easy, WASD, scrollwheel for magic gem changing, spacebar for abilities, rightclick to jump, leftclick to attack, middle mouse button for Boost, and "always dash once able" enabled.

Yes I did...

Jebral

This is a game that makes me so super thankful for the steam controller. I uploaded the control scheme that I settled on. I have it set up like the standard controller layout except I made proper use of start and back for map and menu and I use the touch pads for a skill touch menu and a item touch menu respectively. And for menus, you can switch all of the shortcuts to the left pad and use the right pad as a mouse. And put the mouse buttons on the trigger soft pulls for better inventory management. Then I realized I just like using those buttons all the time when I played, so bonus!

duckroll

In the controller settings which buttons are the d-pad on a 360/DS3 controller? Can I set skill/item selection toggle to the d-pad?

Edit: Oh it's ALREADY set to that by default. Sweet!

duckroll

Okay how do I use the inventory on a controller? Lol. Am I missing something? I was expecting the d-pad to navigate inventory and shop menus when they pop up but all it does it cycle the item/skills hot tab.

Edit: I checked out a shop menu and it works like how I expect except.... you can't toggle between tabs on the controller? Was expecting the shoulder buttons to do it but nope. Why???

bVork

The anti-aliasing in this game is... not good. Has anyone had any luck forcing anti-aliasing via RadeonPro or AMD's own utility, or gotten GeDoSaTo to work?

That feeling when you start a game to try it out before bed...and end up staying awake until 4:30. This game is seriously fun. Definitely has the old school Falcom feel which is just gaming bliss

Durante

The anti-aliasing in this game is... not good. Has anyone had any luck forcing anti-aliasing via RadeonPro or AMD's own utility, or gotten GeDoSaTo to work?
I don't know if it works, but since forcing SGSSAA is as simple as setting it in the driver (no profiles or anything needed) for NV, maybe it's that simple on AMD too?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't know if it works, but since forcing SGSSAA is as simple as setting it in the driver (no profiles or anything needed) for NV, maybe it's that simple on AMD too?

SGSSAA doesn't work on AMD unfortunately, but he could probably force MSAA.

Sinatar

I'm usually first in line to pick M/KB but in this I found maneuvering behind enemies a lot harder with a mouse and am much more proficient with a pad.

Alex_CWB

I'm in the first real dungeon. I've gotten to a point where I can't figure out where to go. There is a missing staircase at one end, then the other end has two staircases block by boulders.
Any help would be appreciated.

Go to the Clover Ruins, at the end you'll fight a huge boss. In the same area there is a chest with the Gauntlet (the item that smash the rocks).

duckroll

I find it way more fun to play with a controller. Movement is more direct and precise, so are attacks. On controller it feels like a weird janky Diablo where the camera and areas are too zoomed in and narrow, while on controller it feels like a Falcom action RPG. The problem with controller is that the menus controls are still fucked up, so you can't lie back and just play everything with a controller, you need to get up and use the mouse to navigate the shop menus and inventory sometimes. Hope XSEED can patch a fix to that...

Sinatar

I find it way more fun to play with a controller. Movement is more direct and precise, so are attacks. On controller it feels like a weird janky Diablo where the camera and areas are too zoomed in and narrow, while on controller it feels like a Falcom action RPG. The problem with controller is that the menus controls are still fucked up, so you can't lie back and just play everything with a controller, you need to get up and use the mouse to navigate the shop menus and inventory sometimes. Hope XSEED can patch a fix to that...

There is a "mouse" button you can map on your pad that puts mouse control to the analog stick when held. So you can do everything on a pad if necessary though it's obviously a bit clunky.

I play at my desk so swapping between pad & kbm as needed isn't a big deal.

bVork

SGSSAA doesn't work on AMD unfortunately, but he could probably force MSAA.
I should have been more clear that I had attempted the obvious things first - forcing AA via RadeonPro and Catalyst. Neither worked. That's why I'm asking.

Edit: and as soon as I write that, I try turning off the frame buffer in the game's config and have no problems getting antialiasing working.

bede-x

The problem with controller is that the menus controls are still fucked up, so you can't lie back and just play everything with a controller, you need to get up and use the mouse to navigate the shop menus and inventory sometimes.

No, you can do the other stuff as well. Press Start and while holding start move the curser with the analog stick and press X to select something (while still holding Start). Clunky, but detinitely doable if you want. And it makes better sense having X as select button, if you need to keep Start pressed to bring up the curser. Start + A would have been annoying (though Start would never have been configured as a curser if it had proper controller support).

Durante

I think overall I prefer controller for this.
Unlike most PC ARPGs in the Diablo vein, movement is faster and more important in this, and positional aiming is much less important. The latter is what heavily favors the mouse for me in Diablolikes.

In terms of menuing, it's even simpler with a Steam controller, since you can e.g. set a mode switch which turns the entire controller into trackball mode.

jb1234

Wow, is there one hell of a difficulty spike just before the first real boss. I'm getting slaughtered by the enemies in this area, much less by the dude himself. Not sure whether the game wants me to grind for levels, equipment or what but it's very frustrating.

Eusis

You can very, very easily flip the tables on those early goblins just by getting a level or two and upgrading to the better equipment. This looks to be one of those games where you have a very extreme difference from just a few points (though it could taper off later one for all I know.)

Bummed about the gimped controller support. I hope they'll deliver the controller patch soon.

I'm not in a hurry as I still have time until the 11th to get the launch discount anyway.

jb1234

You can very, very easily flip the tables on those early goblins just by getting a level or two and upgrading to the better equipment. This looks to be one of those games where you have a very extreme difference from just a few points (though it could taper off later one for all I know.)

Yeah, I eventually figured out that upgrading your armor is a BIG deal in this game, haha. Making good progress now. I'm getting a major Vagrant Story vibe from some of the locations and the music (especially this tune: https://youtu.be/Nmm3cwFeUbI)

Durante

Wow, is there one hell of a difficulty spike just before the first real boss. I'm getting slaughtered by the enemies in this area, much less by the dude himself. Not sure whether the game wants me to grind for levels, equipment or what but it's very frustrating.
For me, that was the point where the upgrade path I have chosen with my character so far (primarily int and the magic-improving card-thing) really came into play. I basically couldn't touch the enemies at all in melee but kill them with 2 spells.

Eila

Hell yeah, finally getting into this after being pretty bummed the town hub ran poorly on my laptop. I'm liking it a lot.
Thankfully, the rest of the game so far seems to run much better. Other Falcom games from the era run pretty well on this laptop (Ys Origin, Felghana, VI, I & II, TitS and SC, Gurumin).
Well, I guess the only other fully 3D game is a 30 fps game so maybe that's why. Or only this one doesn't detect my AMD graphics and goes for intel.

wrowa

I've got a 20€ Steam voucher lying around somewhere, but I have no idea where I put it. Argh! I wanna buy this game already.

Put me all the way in camp m+kB. And I am a controller first sort of guy. I am probably going to remap spells to QWER since the F keys are for crazy people.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Picked it up from GOG yesterday and eager to start it this weekend... DQ Builders, Exist Archive and now this, I have my hands full for a little while!

duckroll

I think I'm semi-lost now. Opened the shortcuts back to town from the mountains and the Eternal Maze. Can't progress in the mountains because I seem to be missing something. Can't progress in the Eternal Maze any further because I can't seem to find the right switch. This feels good though, being stuck because I'm missing something obvious the best part of playing this sort of dungeon crawler. Lol.

I've just beaten the second major boss and was given a key item. Unfortunately, when I try to equip the key item, all it does is move my character. This meant that I was stuck in the post-boss room and meant that I had to quit without saving, and will have to beat the boss again.

However, this is not the only item which I could not use. I could not use a sword called Besswarr, and could not use the black onyx either. Again, when I tried to equip them, all it would do is make the character move.

Another annoying issue is the fact that I am unable to get into the skills / spells tab unless I am talking to a shopkeeper, but since I end up back at the hub so frequently it has only been a minor hindrance.

Hopefully my first concern will be addressed soon because I cannot progress any further unless it is.

duckroll

Fuck the hours just vanish while playing this game. Gotta stop...

I've just beaten the second major boss and was given a key item. Unfortunately, when I try to equip the key item, all it does is move my character. This meant that I was stuck in the post-boss room and meant that I had to quit without saving, and will have to beat the boss again.

However, this is not the only item which I could not use. I could not use a sword called Besswarr, and could not use the black onyx either. Again, when I tried to equip them, all it would do is make the character move.

Another annoying issue is the fact that I am unable to get into the skills / spells tab unless I am talking to a shopkeeper, but since I end up back at the hub so frequently it has only been a minor hindrance.

Hopefully my first concern will be addressed soon because I cannot progress any further unless it is.

Those sound like really weird interface problems. Are you playing with controller or KBM?

Eila

wat do
jzlkQEu.jpg
Come back later maybe?

Capndrake

I've had this same problem, are you playing windowed? I'm pretty sure it happens if you're playing with a different resolution from your monitor.

Tizoc

Xanadu Next will finish installing soon.
Also inspired by fellow my Falcom Fanatics, I made a giveaway of Xanadu Next as well.

Tizoc

What does the Frame Buffer option do? My laptop goes up to 1080p, should I raise this to max or leave it at 1024?

I've had this same problem, are you playing windowed? I'm pretty sure it happens if you're playing with a different resolution from your monitor.
I'm glad there's a workaround, but sweet Aidios above that's funky programming. Does this affect anyone playing in windowed mode at a lower resolution vs. your monitor's?

wat do

Come back later maybe?
You need a key item from Trechier Woods to solve this one. Far as I recall no one's glitched this one yet.

Top Bottom