• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xanadu Next |OT| Take up your sword and seek the Dragon Slayer!

How should I be raising my stats? I don't know if anything is more important in this game.
If you want to get all skills in this game, raise stats early on which let you equip as many weapons as possible. Later on you acquire skills which raise one stat so long as they're equipped. The buff skill for STR comes last, so focus on putting points into strength and everything else needed to equip armor. You can eventually get a Guardian which gives you more bonus points per level-up, which is a boon once you reach the final dungeon and the optional dungeon.

Nabs

I just uploaded my DS4 config if anyone was looking for one. It's a regular controller config with mouse options for the inventory. I also added a way to switch skills on the move (triangle), and rotate cam (bumpers). The DS4 and SC are both really good with this game.

Tizoc

I don't like how jaggy the models look like, these are my laptop's specs, anything I should fiddle with in NVidia inspector to get the best visuals?
GTX 970M
Interl core i7-6700HQ @ 2.4 GHz
16 GB RAM

If you want to get all skills in this game, raise stats early on which let you equip as many weapons as possible. Later on you acquire skills which raise one stat so long as they're equipped. The buff skill for STR comes last, so focus on putting points into strength and everything else needed to equip armor. You can eventually get a Guardian which gives you more bonus points per level-up, which is a boon once you reach the final dungeon and the optional dungeon.

Just say no to min-maxing. Keep it flat as you are figuring things out. You get 6 points per level and you can redistribute so I wouldn't stress about misallocating.

Okay, cool. That's what I've done so far, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I should avoid or whatever.

Ascheroth

I don't like how jaggy the models look like, these are my laptop's specs, anything I should fiddle with in NVidia inspector to get the best visuals?
GTX 970M
Interl core i7-6700HQ @ 2.4 GHz
16 GB RAM

I think it looks pretty good with a little downsampling.

Ascheroth

Then that's what I need to do I guess; how do i go about downsampling? I've never actually bothered doing that with any game before :x

You have to activate DSR and then can simply choose the resolution you want in the Xanadu launcher.
I don't know where that option is though, I have an AMD card.

I've had this same problem, are you playing windowed? I'm pretty sure it happens if you're playing with a different resolution from your monitor.

I've just checked and the game was playing at a lower resolution than my monitor. I've put it on the correct setting now and the game is fixed - thank you!

Seda

wat do

Come back later maybe?

You need the
winged boots
for that. There's some light backtracking for chests throughout the game.

Just say no to min-maxing. Keep it flat as you are figuring things out. You get 6 points per level and you can redistribute so I wouldn't stress about misallocating.

Eventually you can get a
guardian that can give you 9 points per level. So to 'min-max' you level all the way down to 1, and then go back up with that guardian. It's basically essential if you want to do the post-game dungeon.

Eventually you can get a
guardian that can give you 9 points per level. So to 'min-max' you level all the way down to 1, and then go back up with that guardian. It's basically essential if you want to do the post-game dungeon.

Hah, dang, a 1.5x leveler? Doesn't happen to be called the Doritos© Guardian?

Corpekata

Banned
Just got a crash when using the go to town teleport. Lovely.

So yeah, careful if you don't want to lose a lot of progress.

FLD

So, does anyone know what the actual requirement is for the Out of Breath achievement? Because it looks like it might still be bugged. It just unlocked again for me after I died in some shallow water. Like, I didn't die because of the water, it wasn't deep enough to trigger the oxygen meter. Enemies just happened to kill me while I was standing in it, which I'm assuming isn't what should unlock the achievement.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Anyone know if Xanadu Next works well with a Steam controller? I don't have the most ideal setup for Keyboard/Mouse. :(

Seda

Anyone know if Xanadu Next works well with a Steam controller? I don't have the most ideal setup for Keyboard/Mouse. :(

Apparently it works pretty darn well based on impressions from this thread!

I only have a 360 controller and I didn't care for how cursor control worked w/ that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Apparently it works pretty darn well based on impressions from this thread!

I only have a 360 controller and I didn't care for how cursor control worked w/ that.

Sweet! Good to know as I have one of them! :D

Nabs

I've been using a combo of the PS4 controller and the mouse. It works alright.

You can get rid of the mouse entirely by mapping it to the right stick. Set one of the triggers to a mouse click, and you're golden.

I've been using a combo of the PS4 controller and the mouse. It works alright.

I was thinking of Mongolianing it up like this but got comfortable with mousing with my left hand during shop/menu stuff (the reversy thing with moving with mouse and hotkeying with my right never "set" well with my mind...too much movement and positioning based combat).

Up to Castle Strangerock in just over 8 hours of "playtime" (which I don't think counts time spent in cinematics and Harlech Village). Here's one of my favorite vistas in the game:

DBAN21q.jpg

And they only get prettier once you reach the latter part of the final dungeon.

Eventually you can get a
I wouldn't say the
Bonus Points-boosting Guardian
is essential for the final dungeon. Smart use of bracelets (namely ones for sapping SP, cursing enemies to lower attack power, and sealing magic) + the Freezing spell (AOE Ice which often freezes enemies for a second), in tandem with judicious item use, gets you through most floors while you're in the low 20s. Min-maxing probably destroys the optional dungeon in ways the developers didn't balance for since they patched it in at the last minute.

Kvik

Gsync users, does 144Hz in the framerate dropdown does anything for you? Seems to lock at 60 regardless. :-\

Gsync users, does 144Hz in the framerate dropdown does anything for you? Seems to lock at 60 regardless. :-\

I haven't turned on framerate monitoring but I can tell you that 144hz / GSync still hitches pretty often on my system. When the camera pans across town at the beginning of the game random little skips are very noticeable.

Not sure how to fix. Setting refresh rate lower didn't seem to help.

Corpekata

Banned

The option is for refresh, not FPS.

The FPS options are the Smooth, rough, etc. It's locked to 60, 30 and I think 25 for the lowest one (didn't check much longer after I saw the number crawling below 30).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat the 3rd major boss.

At this point, this might be my favorite Falcom game, and that's saying something.

Wantung ti play tonuigt but with a sick baby in my lap it's a no go for rightnow. I managed to get to the first dungeon and I'm loving it so far. Again thank you Xseed for bringing this here.

Kvik

I haven't turned on framerate monitoring but I can tell you that 144hz / GSync still hitches pretty often on my system. When the camera pans across town at the beginning of the game random little skips are very noticeable.

Not sure how to fix. Setting refresh rate lower didn't seem to help.

The option is for refresh, not FPS.

The FPS options are the Smooth, rough, etc. It's locked to 60, 30 and I think 25 for the lowest one (didn't check much longer after I saw the number crawling below 30).

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Just for fun I enabled AFR2 to see if it'll even out the usage on my 980s. It doesn't. Everything is running on half framerate. It's Valkyria Chronicles all over again. :-\

Anyway to kill those red slimes without taking damage?
No. And it's not supposed to work this way in the Japanese (fan-patched) version, but it's also not a problem if you grab a few potions. I don't think anything like this enemy appears after Eternal Maze B1, not up through the final dungeon anyway. Let's see if something like this happens in the optional dungeon however.

Seda

I wouldn't say the
Bonus Points-boosting Guardian
is essential for the final dungeon. Smart use of bracelets (namely ones for sapping SP, cursing enemies to lower attack power, and sealing magic) + the Freezing spell (AOE Ice which often freezes enemies for a second), in tandem with judicious item use, gets you through most floors while you're in the low 20s. Min-maxing probably destroys the optional dungeon in ways the developers didn't balance for since they patched it in at the last minute.

i dunno man, some of those later floors get kinda crazy and I'll take every stat point I can get

Tizoc

You have to activate DSR and then can simply choose the resolution you want in the Xanadu launcher.
I don't know where that option is though, I have an AMD card.
Ok i figured out how to find the dsr option but do i need to disable any options in the xanadu next launcher as well?

Syril

No. And it's not supposed to work this way in the Japanese (fan-patched) version, but it's also not a problem if you grab a few potions. I don't think anything like this enemy appears after Eternal Maze B1, not up through the final dungeon anyway. Let's see if something like this happens in the optional dungeon however.
I end up weakening all of them before killing one to avoid a chain reaction. If a bunch of them die at once it only counts as one attack against you.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My skills are still disappearing in the current version on GOG. Dunno what's going on.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm stupid. False alarm, people.

Kvik

Fuck this Eternal Maze. I forgot which sluice switch drain which room. Now there's a chest I can't reach. :-\

preta

Fuck this Eternal Maze. I forgot which sluice switch drain which room. Now there's a chest I can't reach. :-\

I struggled for too long there.
You have to go through a different area entirely, which will eventually lead back there.

Top Bottom