• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox ‘didn’t deliver’ on 2022’s Showcase, but Phil Spencer is ‘enthusiastic’ about this year’s

Draugoth

Gold Member
xbox-games-showcase-1024x576.jpg

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has stated that the company failed to deliver on what it showed during last year’s Showcase presentation, but says he’s “very enthusiastic” about this year’s show.

Speaking to Kinda Funny Games’ Xcast podcast, Spencer was asked by Parris Lilly about the previous Xbox Showcase, which took place in June 2022.

Last year, during the Showcase, you had the 12-month plan“, Lilly said. “You didn’t necessarily deliver on all the games…”

No, we didn’t deliver,” Spencer interrupted. “There’s no ‘necessarily’. We didn’t deliver.”

Spencer was then given a list of upcoming games that Lilly said players still don’t know much about despite having been announced long ago, including Avowed, Perfect Dark, Everwild, Fable, State of Decay 3 and Contraband.

Going on to discuss this year’s Showcase, Spencer said: “I’m not going to try to oversell Showcase here, because if I was on the other side watching this it’s like, ‘hey, after Redfall, I’m going to put my hands on the controller and that’s what it’s going to take to prove it to me.’

But that’s not what Showcase is, so I’m very enthusiastic about Showcase. We’re going to announce some things that people haven’t seen, some new games, [and] we’re going to give updates to some of the things that were on your list.

He added:

The other thing that gets me really excited is when I look forward over the next quarters – which has always been my focus, how do we get a big game out every quarter, at quality – that things are lining up finally after some of the slowdown though Covid. I’m tired of talking about that, but I can now see that we’ve got games coming every quarter that I think will surprise and delight our customers.

Cyberpunkd

Going on to discuss this year’s Showcase, Spencer said: “I’m not going to try to oversell Showcase here, because if I was on the other side watching this it’s like, ‘hey, after Redfall, I’m going to put my hands on the controller and that’s what it’s going to take to prove it to me.’
There is an interesting snippet from the book about Netflix "No Rules Rules". It goes kinda like this: admitting mistakes will make other increase in their appreciation of you ONLY IF you are a top performer. For people not performing it will - you guessed it - make people have lesser opinion of you, as it validates their views.

Guess which category is Phil Spencer?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Of the games on that list, only State of Decay 3 can be reasonably surmised. I don't even know what the point of bringing up Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Stalker 3, Everwild, etc. is anymore. We know nothing about these games, they're totally unknown quantities. This just feels like Xbox fans are being abused and strung along at this point. Like, there is no point to sitting around hoping that Avowed will be good when it comes out whenever. Just get a PS5 and enjoy Spiderman 2.

ungalo

Of the games on that list, only State of Decay 3 can be reasonably surmised. I don't even know what the point of bringing up Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Stalker 3, Everwild, etc. is anymore. We know nothing about these games, they're totally unknown quantities. This just feels like Xbox fans are being abused and strung along at this point. Like, there is no point to sitting around hoping that Avowed will be good when it comes out whenever. Just get a PS5 and enjoy Spiderman 2.
What do we know about States of Decay 3 ? Except that the higher ups left the studio and the team doesn't know what to do.

Avowed will launch before SoD 3 i think. Fable has flighting test. And Stalker showed several gameplay videos.

feynoob

Banned
I bet the showcase has a lot of third party stuff this year too. Just to reinforce that Phil spencer Pinocchio meme. Influencers would then bend themselves into a pretzel how those are now great deals as they get MS money to make a better quality game or something.
If he does the opposite, what do you reckon your avatar would be?

P.s. I can ask Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping to make some for you.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm just glad I was able to sell my Series X for some profit before it completely tanks.

I mean, I sold it/traded it for 300€ at GameStop and I'm not even mad, at least I was able to get a system that I actually enjoy and - you know - that actually has games.

I'll just say this : I had all Xboxes starting from the OG, this is the last time though that I buy one of their consoles, there's just...no vision nor any "magic" anymore behind their products and games.

I'm just incredibly disappointed, both with their output, failed promises and the bad investment that I made (I must have spent more than 500€ on games these past 2 years).

Never again

Posted in the other thread but more appropriate here

I’m really conflicted if we should be excited or depressed for the upcoming game showcase on Xbox

Phil has been saying for a decade how exciting each year is. However, he was very reserved in this interview

It may just be that Phil doesn’t understand what a good game or showcase actually is I honestly am starting to think that’s the case. Redfall was his mic drop reveal two years ago.

But if he’s already trying to downplay the hype, maybe he’s just clueless and actually does have great content to show and just doesn’t know it?

A showcase that featured 4-6 Hi Fi Rush quality reveals would beat anything they’ve done this past decade

kyussman

Hopefully they'll just have Justin Bieber or someone up on stage to at least make it a decent watch.

Last edited:

kyussman

Posted in the other thread but more appropriate here

I’m really conflicted if we should be excited or depressed for the upcoming game showcase on Xbox

Phil has been saying for a decade how exciting each year is. However, he was very reserved in this interview

It may just be that Phil doesn’t understand what a good game or showcase actually is I honestly am starting to think that’s the case. Redfall was his mic drop reveal two years ago.

But if he’s already trying to downplay the hype, maybe he’s just clueless and actually does have great content to show and just doesn’t know it?

A showcase that featured 4-6 Hi Fi Rush quality reveals would beat anything they’ve done this past decade
The thing is they have so many fucking games in development......how can this not be a slam dunk showing.I don't know man,this interview has given me a headache,lol.

The thing is they have so many fucking games in development......how can this not be a slam dunk showing.I don't know man,this interview has given me a headache,lol.

On paper, showing Everwild, Avowed, Perfect Dark, Fable, Hellblade should be all they need to have a great show

Not to mention whatever future plans for Halo MP or The Coalition

But maybe we’ll go another year without seeing any fucking thing

Top Bottom