• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox ‘didn’t deliver’ on 2022’s Showcase, but Phil Spencer is ‘enthusiastic’ about this year’s

kyussman

On paper, showing Everwild, Avowed, Perfect Dark, Fable, Hellblade should be all they need to have a great show

Not to mention whatever future plans for Halo MP or The Coalition

But maybe we’ll go another year without seeing any fucking thing
All those games have been truckin' along for a good while......we should have something,surely?........but then they say Redfall was in production for 5 years and it comes out like that,so god only knows what state they are all in.

Banjo64

cumsessed
2qAnQG7.jpg

Will be seeing some of these and new games announced, looking forward to it.
2qAnQG7.jpg

Will be seeing some of these and new games announced, looking forward to it.
I’m not going to lie it’s actually admirable that you can still get hyped for these infographics. Shame the actual execution isn’t as strong as the infographic game.

Ansphn

I mean, I sold it/traded it for 300€ at GameStop and I'm not even mad, at least I was able to get a system that I actually enjoy and - you know - that actually has games.

I'll just say this : I had all Xboxes starting from the OG, this is the last time though that I buy one of their consoles, there's just...no vision nor any "magic" anymore behind their products and games.

I'm just incredibly disappointed, both with their output, failed promises and the bad investment that I made (I must have spent more than 500€ on games these past 2 years).

Never again
Same with me. I had all the Xbox consoles and 4 360s. Once I realized that Gamepass = AA games, I sold my console and will never buy another Xbox. People forget that Xbox original vision under Peter Moore was Top tier AAA pushing gaming as a whole. With Gamepass, theyre completely abandoning their roots.

Riky

$MSFT
Contraband isn't first party and by the sounds of how perfect darks dev is going and it seemingly shifting more to a 3rd party studio I'm not sure how "first party" that game will be

It's first party if it's published by MS studios, Contraband is being funded by MS and they own Perfect Dark so it's as first party as Halo.

RIPN2022

Same with me. I had all the Xbox consoles and 4 360s. Once I realized that Gamepass = AA games, I sold my console and will never buy another Xbox. People forget that Xbox original vision under Peter Moore was Top tier AAA pushing gaming as a whole. With Gamepass, theyre completely abandoning their roots.
Xbox lost its magic towards the end of the 360 era. I don't know what happened, its like they revolutionized the landscape with IPs like Gears, and then just stopped. For the past 10 years they have had nothing that jumps out to players to make you actually say "Yeah, its worth buying a Xbox for that".

DosGamer

I saw some where earlier today that Phil doesnt think exclusives are the key to winning the console wars. I think the key to winning the console wars is to admit from the get go that you are not part of the war. Just make games and put them out. Let your work speak for itself.

Its a contradicting statement when you see them pushing the list of games above... with all of them being exclusive.
Ive said it before when it comes to systems/ consoles. One bad console can really put you behind, but 2 or 3 and its game over. Look at Atari and Sega. Both rushed consoles to market with no games and only their reputation to help them. MS is doing the exact same thing. Nintendo has come close thru the years... most recently with the WiiU.

As somebody who owns both consoles and has owned every single generation of Microsoft and PS consoles... This generation for MS has been a huge let down. Hell even Sea of Thieves and Flight Simulator can be played on last gen. Upsetting!

Last edited:

graywolf323

Xbox lost its magic towards the end of the 360 era. I don't know what happened, it’s like they revolutionized the landscape with IPs like Gears, and then just stopped. For the past 10 years they have had nothing that jumps out to players to make you actually say "Yeah, it’s worth buying a Xbox for that".
it just happened to coincide with when Phil Spencer took over as the general manager of Microsoft Studios (basically the role Matt Booty now occupies), pure coincidence though I’m sure

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Things can go down here and there. It sucks, but people (and himself) needs to get their shit together

I mean, I work with infrastructure and sometimes you plan a thing that would be finished by three or four days, but then a big "no" comes up. You can't have more hours because the client doesn't want to arrive later, and you have doctor appointment that is a bitch to get another schedule, then your co-worker gets sick... So many stuff can go wrong, and goes wrong

I'm with you, Phil

Last edited:

Ansphn

Xbox lost its magic towards the end of the 360 era. I don't know what happened, its like they revolutionized the landscape with IPs like Gears, and then just stopped. For the past 10 years they have had nothing that jumps out to players to make you actually say "Yeah, its worth buying a Xbox for that".
This is absolutely true. They went from Halo (The top FPS in the industry), Gears (So good that Naughty dog had to copy some of the mechanics), and Fable to absolutely nothing but milking those I.Ps dry. I seriously want someone to write a book about what happened. It's obvious at that time they had the eye for talent and identitying incredible I.Ps in it's infancy. How the hell did that ability to "see quality" completely disappear? One of the biggest mysteries in gaming history imo.

Riky

$MSFT
It's relevant when it's called second party 🤣.
"Second party" doesn't really exist, you're either funding and publishing a game and paying the wages of the development or you're not. It doesn't really matter splitting hairs about that, it's being funded and published my MS and it's exclusive, so any distinction between that and an internal studio makes no difference.

StueyDuck

"Second party" doesn't really exist, you're either funding and publishing a game and paying the wages of the development or you're not. It doesn't really matter splitting hairs about that, it's being funded and published my MS and it's exclusive, so any distinction between that and an internal studio makes no difference.
i mean if we just making up things now i guess Square enix is a first party studio for Sony. Words mean nothing after all.

It's first party if it's published by MS studios, Contraband is being funded by MS and they own Perfect Dark so it's as first party as Halo.
I personally know the 3D artist who's working on that title. His in my Discord DMs. Met him at 3D Artist Discord where a bunch of them hang out from various studios and as independent freelancers. (I am a 3D artist myself - well I have a degree in Game Art but never utilized it, but it's still something I respect and appericate when looking at other people's work. I was thinking of jumping on that freelancing band wagon for fun and some extra side cash)

Anyways, I started looking at a variety of artists and made some connections. There is also a Discord full of Ubisoft staff that give critiques and provide feedback for upcoming artists or those who are just trying to improve their work. The Discord is such an amazing source and it's a great way to network with like minded freelancers and devs.

Obviously, due to NDA he wasn't allowed to say much in terms of project progression or anything of that sorts for Contraband other than his working on it under contract. He did state he is a 3D Prop Artist so his creating stuff like weapons and smaller objects that are part of the game world.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh boy it’s that time of the year. Here we go again:

Yes, this is a list of massive pictures of article headlines from various points in the last few years. Very observant. :messenger_ok:

-

Anyway, their last years showcase was great, looking forward to another one and then 30 minutes of Starfield.

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
Of the games on that list, only State of Decay 3 can be reasonably surmised. I don't even know what the point of bringing up Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark, Stalker 3, Everwild, etc. is anymore. We know nothing about these games, they're totally unknown quantities. This just feels like Xbox fans are being abused and strung along at this point. Like, there is no point to sitting around hoping that Avowed will be good when it comes out whenever. Just get a PS5 and enjoy Spiderman 2.
I completely forgot about stalker, hope it turns out good.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I didn't say the studio was first party, the game is though.

yeah i'm bored of this, enjoy stretching terms to fit your definition so you can win a list war.

I never thought I'd say it but Riky Riky is correct. The game Bloodborne is First Party and From Software is Third Party. Forspoken is a timed third party game and Square Enix is third party. Second party does not exist, confirmed by Insomniac

Top Bottom