• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 preorders?

Zep

Banned
I went to Ebgames, Gamestop today in my area and they told me that each store only gets 20 preorders for the XB360. So my question is should i just wait to see if they get more pre-orders or am i better off going to Target/Walmart the morning it gets released?

I wanna figure this now, because im known to put shit off and make dumb last minute decisions.

What are you guys gonna do?

MrDaravon

I'd go ahead and put down a pre-order at your gamestore. Then if it's going to be looking tight, try to get one retail somewhere, if you succeed cancel your gamestore reservation, if not hopefully they'll have gotten in extras.

Unless something comes out of nowhere for launch, I'm not picking up one until next year, so I can't tell you what I'll be doing.

AniHawk

Yeah, that's good advice. We have about 30 X360 preorders, already into the second shipment. We were taking preorders for 2 shipments of the PSP too, and we had to limit DS preorders as well.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I put the money down about a week before the MTV unveiling. I was second at the store. So, I'm sure the local Babbage's will get more than 2 systems, so I'm safe. I don't know if you'll be able to just walk into a store and get one on launch day, unless you feel like waiting in a line or something of that nature. I'm sure in isolated parts of the country, you can just walk in. With department stores, I don't think so. I'm taking out the games too in preorders, just in case they get scarce because of allocation and things like that.

golem

already preordered mine...

theres always a chance the first shipment can increase (i think someone said thats what happened with the PSP?)

and if you can only get in the second shipment it isnt all bad, since you can get your money back or if you do get one during the release, you can ebay off the second one if the market is still hot at that time..

TheDuce22

Banned
I had the same issue. Went to preorder and found out they are ony getting 46 and allready had 46 preorders, the guy at the counter was 100% sure that the first shipments were allready set in stone so I didnt bother. Ill just pick one up at best buy or something, hopefully.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Our store is only allowed 13 pre-orders, we've gotten 3 so far (ha!) -- our shipments are all locked, as our buyers seem pretty confident that the number we're given is correct.

Ironclad

The Take Out Bandit said:
Don't panic. I'm sure you'll be able to walk into any big box store and pick one up on day one. :D
Yeah, I am pretty sure it would be easy to walk into any major retail chain that carries video games on day 1 and pick up a 360. TRU would probably be the safest bet in my area.

jimbo

Banned
I preordered mine even though I had no problem picking up both an Xbox and a PS2 on launch day without any preorders. And get this, I got my PS2 from EB! Launch day. Why? A bunch of people didn't pick theirs up. And this is ALWAYS going to happen.

So don't stress. Wal Mart will always have them, although with the Xbox they had tickets last time at the 24 hours store, so I was not able to get one there as I got there a little too late. But I did manage to get my Xbox at a regular Wal Mart store. I just got there very early and the line was pretty small. Of course this deffinitely depends on the city you live in. Mine is pretty small so Wal-Mart had adequate stock. While the city next to mine was all sold out. So it never hurts to preorder if you have the cash.

Zep

Banned
well, imma be in college, and its hickville out there, so luckily no long lines at department stores.

PG2G

I preordered even though they said second shipment. if it turns out that I cant get one on launch day, I'll get a refund and try to be at Best Buy or TRU at midnight.

Mrbob

DrEvil said:
Our store is only allowed 13 pre-orders, we've gotten 3 so far (ha!) -- our shipments are all locked, as our buyers seem pretty confident that the number we're given is correct.

The system isn't even in production yet. Any numbers quoted is only speculation right now. It seems to me these 'buyers' are aiming a little low right now.

Zep

Banned
Mrbob said:
The system isn't even in production yet. Any numbers quoted is only speculation right now. It seems to me these 'buyers' are aiming a little low right now.

thats what im thinking, so would it be smart to put money down for the 2nd shipment? Then hopefully they take more orders on the 1st shipment?

ChrisReid

DaddyZ said:
thats what im thinking, so would it be smart to put money down for the 2nd shipment? Then hopefully they take more orders on the 1st shipment?

Yeah, that should be the method of thinking. These "second shipment" terms being thrown around in June are just to prevent them from getting screwed over in November. I'd expect most every preorder done now would be for day one still.

GhaleonEB

I think part of the reasoning may be that retailers don't know how many units they are getting from the first shipment. MS is still likely trying to hammer out their allocations and production volumes, so retailers are hestitant to over-promise.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
My local EBGames already had 70,000 orders... before they stopped taking my name. Good luck finding one if you live in Maryland. :D

sol5377

next time I pass by a game shop, I'm gonna put down $50 for a 360 pre-order. I'm sure there'll be at least 2 or 3 games I'll pick up at launch.

newsguy

My EB filled their orders for first day 360's about 2 weeks ago. Of course there's a chance that more are shipped, but as of now they have to tell anyone who pre-orders that they may not get the first shipment. It's nice to pre-order cause it works like layaway and you can pay like $50 a month till it launches.

Top Bottom