• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox 360 Wireless Headset Woes (New Bluetooth Model)

Yama

GUz6q.jpg

Edit/Update:

Exchanged for a new batch, this one works flawlessly. Was a product defect more so than a design flaw, thankfully. With the sensitivity no longer being an issue, everything else about the mic is working well as described. Great product, don't give up on it if you have the same problem as the original OP contents.

Original OP said:
I anticipated the release of the new headset for quite some time, in fact I don't think I've ever been "hyped" over a non-console hardware release until this product.

For years I've dealt with a clumsy wire, dying controllers during movies, non-sensitive headsets and eventually gave in to the wireless model to delete the hassle. One problem, you'd have to scream or not be heard. Eventually I returned it and fell back on my trusty Planatronics Halo 2 headset, crystal clear.

Fast forward to the new headset, one that was supposed to resolve all of the older wireless problems. Well, in some ways it does, but the most important aspect remains unchanged: NOBODY CAN HEAR ME UNLESS I SCREAM. I'm not paying for a 8am-8pm headset, I want to talk at night with a few buddies while watching Netflix. Sadly nobody can hear me at a normal speaking voice, I have to take it off of my ear and put it up to my mouth like a walkie talkie. It's marginally better than the prior wireless in the area of sensitivity, but not comfortably up to snuff like say the PS3's. Here's the funny part.

Xbox LIVE party: Can barely hear me.
Sending voice message: Crystal.

No, I haven't had any problems prior. Everyone can hear me crystal clear. This is the second wireless headset with the same issue. Is it the product, is it the noise cancelling properties XBox LIVE's voice has? Anyone else stuck in the same place? Any mods, tricks? Back to 2004 HALO 2 headset?

I have the exact opposite issues with the original wireless headsets. They were too sensitive. I had to damn near mute my TV to keep it from picking up anything and I don't exactly sit right up against the screen.

Yama

reggie said:
If it's exactly like the original wireless headset then you must talk really softly.
Hardly. Again, every other headset works just fine. It must be a luck of the draw issue, seriously. Or perhaps it's because the original wireless I had was fairly recent, as in manufactured a few months ago. Perhaps they've went harder with the noise cancelling since then. Again, I've read of similar issues elsewhere. Having the opposing problems sounds appealing at this point...

watership said:
Well I think that.... (notices use of M$) never mind.
Relax. Have supported them thoroughly without any backlash, even through the problematic hardware era. Have multiple consoles for each region and multiple accounts dating back to the early days of Live. Hatred nor slanted vision doesn't exist here, take it as a quick type more than a loathing symbol.

Again, I'm not crying here. I'm asking for a solution. This isn't a bash x company thread. So on your end, please do respond and add to the topic at hand rather than being snarky. I'd actually like to have a working wireless headset here, nothing more.

Definity

Anyone else use the new model headset and have more impressions? I need to replace a headset and thought about picking this one up.

Hawk269

It works great and works even better than my older wireless headset. I love the option of switching to bluetooth on the fly. Was playing some Forza 4, got a call on my phone, used the switch to go to bluetooth, answered the call and then switched back to the game. Works great.

To me the sound is clear and I don't have to speak too loudly for others to hear me.

Yama

Hawk269 said:
Was playing some Forza 4, got a call on my phone, used the switch to go to bluetooth, answered the call and then switched back to the game. Works great.
Absolutely love this feature as well. Feature and comfort wise probably the best headset I've owned, aside from the sensitivity issue I was having. Seems a little less sensitive than a few other headsets (ie: Planatronics), though it's better than the stock wired headset. I'm growing used to it and if anything, it's proving to be a good addition due to the previously mentioned features alone.

moai

halo reach wireless here, works perfectly and everyone tells me that they can hear me crystal clear, much better compared to the wired one that comes with the console.
really don't know what the OP is talking about.

Yama

moai said:
halo reach wireless here, works perfectly and everyone tells me that they can hear me crystal clear, much better compared to the wired one that comes with the console.
really don't know what the OP is talking about.
I'm talking about what was described, obviously you didn't have to deal with it. Others have, read the reviews and other forum threads.

Anyhow, it was far from on my end. Ended up exchanging it for a new shipment and it now works perfectly. Must have gotten a bad product, was able to exchange for a new one however so all is well that ends well. With that said if anyone else does run into the same problem, don't give up on the headset itself.

i got one of these the other day, but i haven't been able to test it with my xbox yet (only bluetooth). i noticed the voice quality was a little iffy on bluetooth with my iphone4s, but not terrible. apparently transmission was good, because the person i was on the phone with said i sounded fine.

will sub this topic and report back once i finally get around to using it on Live.

[edit] also, it cannot be emphasized enough, the thing is damn sexy, though i wish it came with a cradle like the MW3 special edition headset comes with.

ive had no problems with the xbox wireless headset or the wired ones. you do realise there is a volume control right? i can hear perfectly, the only problem is the range..it cuts when you get about 10+ feet from the source.

Not sure why you made this thread when i havent heard any other complaints so far.

Yama

Please do report back oddworld, seems to be fine on my end via Bluetooth. And I agree, very nice aesthetics and probably the most comfortable Bluetooth headset I've used.

Phat Michael said:
ive had no problems with the xbox wireless headset or the wired ones. you do realise there is a volume control right? i can hear perfectly, the only problem is the range..it cuts when you get about 10+ feet from the source.

Not sure why you made this thread when i havent heard any other complaints so far.
Guess that's to the above poster, but yeah. Have no problems hearing anyone else either, works great on and off bluetooth mode.

Made the thread due to reading similar stories on the GS product page user reviews and GameSpot forums. I was the third person within a day of it's release to have the problem so wanted to report here, was actually baffled to see nobody else with the issue.

Like I said above though, it was definitely a single product issue. Exchanged for a new batch and worked just fine. Didn't necessarily want to go through the trouble, but am happy it worked out regardless. Updated the OP, we can obviously still use this thread for further impressions.

Fast forward to the new headset, one that was supposed to resolve all of the older wireless problems. Well, in some ways it does, but the most important aspect remains unchanged: NOBODY CAN HEAR ME UNLESS I SCREAM. I'm not paying for a 8am-8pm headset, I want to talk at night with a few buddies while watching Netflix. Sadly nobody can hear me at a normal speaking voice
I'm curious to hear from other members concerning this. If it's late at night and I speak softly, the old Xbox wireless headset doesn't pick me up for jack.

I've had the White, then the Halo 3, then the Black one with the new style packaging. I noticed a difference between the White and H3 and the H3 did perform better. Black one seemed to be fairly the same. I can't use my normal speaking voice if I want people to hear me, I have to speak just a tad louder.

One friend who got a wireless headset a long while ago had one that seemed to be ultra sensitive. We could hear what was coming from his TV and the clicking of his plastic guitar.

I'm interested in this one, but if it proves to be mostly the same, it isn't worth the hassle for me at the moment.

Yama

Glad to see I wasn't the only GAFer who experienced inconsistent results as well. I too have a friend with a wireless headset (older model) and its almost too sensitive, as described above. I never ended up with one of those obviously, haha. Loving this new version however, seems perfectly balanced.

Top Bottom