• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox and Bethesda Showcase June 12th

Kssio_Aug

TMNT.

Somerville looks like it's coming very soon. July or August. Probably not June.
200.gif

DaGwaphics

Because it's an action game from Team Ninja coming to Xbox? What other reason should an Xbox fan have to give a shit?

IKR, an interesting game is an interesting game. I've never gotten the disdain some gamers have for multiplats. I've probably spent more hours on those over the years than anything else.

I'm glad to see the game coming to Xbox in general. Many times games like these skip Xbox all together. Variety is good, even better since it is GP.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why should any Xbox fan give a shit?

Team Ninja is one of the original Xbox heavy-hitters. Aside from Ninja Gaiden, and the best version of that is still exclusive to the Xbox, there was the DOA games. People forget how big those were 20 years ago, and how the Xbox versions were the definitive ones. Itagaki even said the PS2 port of DOA and its out of control aliasing physically hurt him to look at.

PhaseJump

Banned
They pretty much said it's a weak spot for their line up and they hear the fan demand.

They have Tango now at least, which is more than they ever had in terms of Japanese first party. The best they can really do now is try and secure some third party deals. This is a good start, along with Persona. That's all they can really do is keep trying.

They have "heard" that fan demand for well over a decade now. What deals are they securing? Late ports of multiplatform games that were exclusively missing from Xbox platforms because it's an afterthought in the development process. It's a shit or get off the pot situation for Phil. Nothing has been improved by this year's showing. It's all absurd to me that I should be impressed by late ports. I've been waiting for these games since Xbox 360 turned heel and went running with Kinect. Xbox is bringing nothing to the table.

For a handful of the 3rd party game efforts like Final Fantasy, they would show up with a couple of games, get the fans who are starved for those games to buy them up; then shift gears and beg us to "please be excited" over those games we paid for already, showing up in a "free with game pass" announcement.

It's a low effort clown show wrapped up with PR trying to smooth things over. We'll be hitting 20 years before any of it is (maybe) addressed.

There is no good reason weebs shouldn't have a flagship studio at Xbox to point at when asked why they even bother with Xbox as a whole. Having Phil brag up their relationship with Team Ninja, introducing a game you can play on any platform as if it was important to them, dragging Kojima out to talk about Crackdown 3 cloud gaming, announcing Persona games that are 3 or more generations old coming next year. It's just hilarious to me.

"Be thankful you're getting anything" is the tone after every single low effort year of this shit.

Give us a new studio. Give Itagaki a job. Hire Hajime Tabata to make something. Get Koji Igarashi's crew on a new Bloodstained. etc.

Team Ninja is one of the original Xbox heavy-hitters. Aside from Ninja Gaiden, and the best version of that is still exclusive to the Xbox, there was the DOA games. People forget how big those were 20 years ago, and how the Xbox versions were the definitive ones. Itagaki even said the PS2 port of DOA and its out of control aliasing physically hurt him to look at.

That's a part of the point. Itagaki isn't at Team Ninja. He's over there implying that he's willing to work for Xbox and nothing seems to be coming out of it.

Team Ninja itself is making janky games, terrible DOA games built around MTX now. DOA is just no-skill Virtua Fighter clone. Microsoft ought to buy Sega and get the real thing, but it's not Wednesday yet.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Hyrule Warriors
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Fire Emblem Warriors
Nioh
Nioh 2
Stranger of Paradise

"janky games"

They peaked with Ninja Gaiden Black. Everything has had janky shit after II.

You're throwing a list of some musou shit and "CHAOS!" at this to imply an absence of jank.

for-that-reason-im-out.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Exactly how I feel. It's not for the AAA games anymore. Gamepass is great. I just started another run of Ninja Gaiden and also looked into Fable for the first time ever. Tunic was great aswell, so was Guardians of the Galaxy. I wouldn't have bought either of these games (well, maybe Ninja Gaiden) and I would definetly buy a sequel to GotG because it was fucking great.

I actually sold my PS5 last winter because there wasn't a game I was interested in in the near future. Maybe Horizon but that was it.

Yup Guardians of the Galaxy is legit amazing and I wouldnt have played it if it wasnt for the feedback on here and game pass. Amazing game.

PhaseJump

Banned
I literally don't care for Nioh one way or another. I am pointing out the insignificance of Team Ninja's new multiplatform game getting stage hype from Phil, as if it somehow impacts or makes a difference to the big picture: Xbox's own non-existence in 1st party Japanese game development, and it's constant apologetic "we hear you" cycle, followed by the "be thankful" bullshit from fans.

Team Ninja's never been the same quality since Itagaki left. Itagaki hasn't been the same since he left Team Ninja. Again, why should I care? I want Xbox first party ramped up or "acquired" in Japan. I want to see big spending, without losers apologizing for Phil or going down the rabbit hole with their like-clockwork horseshit about how Xbox doesn't sell consoles in Japan so it's too risky for them.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
And most Xbox gamers agree with you. Which is why it doesn't see the same support from Japanese devs.

Japanese dev support needs to come from Xbox. Internally. First party investments. Grow or acquire studios there to ensure a baseline of support in their lineup. That's the entire point.

Top Bottom