• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox April 2022 internal sales data: 74.8% Series S and 25.1% Series X.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Get ready for the "get a PC to compete with the PS5 Pro" campaign
Also, brother, one of the other internal documents showed that Microsoft's plan is to launch next-gen consoles in 2028.

Things may have changed since then, but if they are not launching a Pro console and not launching a console before 2028, I really don't understand what their plan is -- especially with dragging Series S until then and into the inevitable cross-gen period that would be stretched until 2030 then.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Also, brother, one of the other internal documents showed that Microsoft's plan is to launch next-gen consoles in 2028.

Things may have changed since then, but if they are not launching a Pro console and not launching a console before 2028, I really don't understand what their plan is -- especially with dragging Series S until then and into the inevitable cross-gen period that would be stretched until 2030 then.
Launching a pro console would make everything worse
Who's going to optimize for 5% of Series XL

I was going with 65:35 by now. This is a huge shift.

The overwhelming majority of Xbox gamers will be playing Xbox games not in their full glory this generation. I don't see how this is a win for Xbox.
  1. Why invest in making your games technical and visual masterpieces when 3/4 of your audience won't even experience it?
  2. Why go the extra mile optimizing Series X versions for less than 1/4 of your audience?
  3. Moreover, the 3/4th Xbox Series S audience will look at PS AAA games running on the upcoming PS5 Pro and notice a stark difference in visual fidelity. This will not benefit Xbox or Xbox Game Studios in word-of-mouth marketing.
Ps5 is kind of shit compared to a mid range PC in the same way a Series X is. Series S gets modern releases and runs them like a PS4 Pro. It is a good option. For those saying Switch is a valid alternative:

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I don't "know" their plan but some have been told they are looking at starting the next generation earlier than 2028 and not be in the same yearly cycle as Sony, at least its been put on their round table

But who knows where things will be even next year at this time

Killjoy-NL

Launching a pro console would make everything worse
Who's going to optimize for 5% of Series XL
I don't know why people keep thinking there will be Pro versions.

If there's a 75/25 split between Series S and X respectively, a Pro version will be a really dumb decision. Would make no sense, as you say.

As for Sony, they're basically competing with Series S, so there's no need for a Pro either.

Neither MS nor Sony has anything to gain from a Pro.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I doubt it. They can't even dominate windows laptop and tablet market with their own official hardware and you think they will dominate the GPU market.
I had the Surface pro with the pen
The hardware is nice but their software implementation with the touchscreen is garbage
And with all of that they are overpriced, they try to copy apple but only in price matching

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I feel bad for 75% of xbox owners who have to play so many of these games without RT or in sub HD resolutions or without 60 fps. Metro dropped to 512p. Matrix significantly below 560p. Immortals, the first UE5 game with lumen and nanite was 480p. just not good enough.

I think all these xbox series x and ps5 comparison are probably useless now that they only impact 25% of the xbox base. what a waste of time that turned out to be.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I don't "know" their plan but some have been told they are looking at starting the next generation earlier than 2028 and not be in the same yearly cycle as Sony, at least its been put on their round table

Speculative theories of some without any basis and misinterpreting P. Spencer's words about the convenience of XSeries PRO "RIGTH NOW".

1-The most solid information is the FTC vs MS/ABK docs. They foresee a new generation for 2028.
They also emphasize the need to be more flexible with the characteristics of the hardware than it already is and not focus only on a fixed one and to make it more similar to the Windows PC model.without losing the benefits of development for fixed hardware.

That tells me that they are open to launching more models with different specifications and that there is already a plan.

2-Phil did not categorically deny the possibility of an XSeries Pro, he only spoke in terms of the present. Imagine announcing the development of a new model 2 years before it is launched...🤣.
If there is a plan for an XSeries Pro, it will certainly not be announced today and that will cause damage to sales of the current models. Whether or not there is a plan to launch an XSPro, we will know when Sony announces its PSPro, not before.

DavidGzz

I feel bad for 75% of xbox owners who have to play so many of these games without RT or in sub HD resolutions or without 60 fps. Metro dropped to 512p. Matrix significantly below 560p. Immortals, the first UE5 game with lumen and nanite was 480p. just not good enough.

I think all these xbox series x and ps5 comparison are probably useless now that they only impact 25% of the xbox base. what a waste of time that turned out to be.

The casuals who buy and play on the S couldn't care less. The same way the vast majority of PS2 gamers couldn't care less that Xbox had better graphics and more fidelity in their games back then. RT on consoles lol

This is a world where most gamers are playing mobile games and on their antique Switch but let's feel bad for Seris S gamers. Lmao

NickFire

Honestly, they'd be dumb not to launch first. So much so that I'd be more surprised by them launching same holiday season as PS6 then I would be if they spun off Xbox hardware. I am not suggesting they will spin off hardware. Just recognizing two things: 1) existing digital libraries are a huge draw if faced with a choice between similar specs at the same time; and 2) 360's launch was a great time to own an Xbox (RRoD notwithstanding).

If they get a year or two head start, every traditional console early adopter will be at least tempted.

Darsxx82

??? XSX is not 25%, those are the figures from Q2 of 2022 when there was a high stock deficit for XSX.

The 3-year gen XSS vs XSX % is closer to 50% vs 50% than 25%.

So, could being the next-gen console model with less installed base imply less impetus from the Studios to optimize said version on multiplatform? Surely, but I don't think that selling 20% more or less than XSX is going to improve or worsen that problem or circumstance.

Finally, I would like to say that I do not believe that the typical XSS user will be the most affected by XSS resolutions or performance. They may not even know how to differentiate.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The casuals who buy and play on the S couldn't care less. The same way the vast majority of PS2 gamers couldn't care less that Xbox had better graphics and more fidelity in their games back then. RT on consoles lol

This is a world where most gamers are playing mobile games and on their antique Switch but let's feel bad for Seris S gamers. Lmao
Why would anyone buy a next gen console if they didnt care less? Why wouldnt they stick with last gen consoles if they didnt care about 60 fps, Ray tracing and better fidelity?

Not sure if you were old enough to remember the PS2 launch, but MGS2 at e3 2000 was the game that inspired everyone from your casual gamer to your hardcore gamer. The Madden 2000 ads were on tv all the time and that massive visual leap for Madden was the primary reason for casuals to go out and make PS2 an impossible console to get for over half a year after launch. everyone at my school wanted it for Madden.

People arent spending $300 to have a last gen experience. They want an upgrade.

Kilau

Damn, we really are in the Simple Jack Gen.

VkVsMCL.jpg

Wooxsvan

well, all these years over and over we've seen that power doesnt sell to the mainstream market and will never learn.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Why would anyone buy a next gen console if they didnt care less? Why wouldnt they stick with last gen consoles if they didnt care about 60 fps, Ray tracing and better fidelity?

Not sure if you were old enough to remember the PS2 launch, but MGS2 at e3 2000 was the game that inspired everyone from your casual gamer to your hardcore gamer. The Madden 2000 ads were on tv all the time and that massive visual leap for Madden was the primary reason for casuals to go out and make PS2 an impossible console to get for over half a year after launch. everyone at my school wanted it for Madden.

People arent spending $300 to have a last gen experience. They want an upgrade.

To continue to play the latest games. Many comments I see for new games abandoning old hardware are from casuals mad that they can't continue to play their favorites on PS4. PS4s are still selling.

There is a subset of people who would continue to play on PS4 for another 10 years if they could. The same people who continued to buy PS1s and 2s long after the next gen was long in the tooth. My brother is one of them.

Those people will enjoy the new graphics when they finally buy them out of necessity, but they are not foaming at the mouth like us enthusiasts.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'd love to loon into a crystal ball and ask what would have happened to Xbox sales if they'd just stuck to Series X, and called it something that makes sense lol

SlimySnake

To continue to play the latest games. Many comments I see for new games abandoning old hardware are from casuals mad that they can't continue to play their favorites on PS4. PS4s are still selling.

There is a subset of people who would continue to play on PS4 for another 10 years if they could. The same people who continued to buy PS1s and 2s long after the next gen was long in the tooth. My brother is one of them.

Those people will enjoy the new graphics when they finally buy them out of necessity, but they are not foaming at the mouth like us enthusiasts.
What new games were people buying the xss for in Q2 2022 when literally everything was cross gen?

TheMan

Yup, that’s me. Couldn’t find a series x but found a series s no problem. It’s primarily a game pass machine (tried saturn emulation but the process of clunky and it worked like shit) and for that purpose it works fine except for the tiny ass hard drive

Darsxx82

What new games were people buying the xss for in Q2 2022 when literally everything was cross gen?
All Sport games with Next Gen versions are a very high attraction for casuals. Pair them with Xbox releases that were only released on XSeries.... and Gamepass

Thirty7ven

Banned
I was going with 65:35 by now. This is a huge shift.

The overwhelming majority of Xbox gamers will be playing Xbox games not in their full glory this generation. I don't see how this is a win for Xbox.
  1. Why invest in making your games technical and visual masterpieces when 3/4 of your audience won't even experience it?
  2. Why go the extra mile optimizing Series X versions for less than 1/4 of your audience?
  3. Moreover, the 3/4th Xbox Series S audience will look at PS AAA games running on the upcoming PS5 Pro and notice a stark difference in visual fidelity. This will not benefit Xbox or Xbox Game Studios in word-of-mouth marketing.

I think it’s amazing data, and clearly helps paints a picture about who is buying an Xbox.

SlimySnake

All Sport games with Next Gen versions are a very high attraction for casuals. Pair them with Xbox releases that were only released on XSeries.... and Gamepass
But i thought casuals didn’t care about next gen?

Darsxx82

But i thought casuals didn’t care about next gen?
Casuals are interested in Next Gen, but not so in need of the best experience if that is only possible at a price that is not within their means. Their thinking is more on whether a certain game is available or not and whether or not they can play with friends and enjoy new options.

Last edited:

The Switch is pretty much kicking the shit out of both the PS5 and Xbox Series consoles the same as it did to the XB1 and PS4.

Normal people don't care about the number of Ps and frame per second. It's all about the games.

DavidGzz

2022 was still early adopter territory compared to the average casual. Those were parents getting a new Xbox for their kids for Christmas and desperate gamers looking for the X. My daughter, who was happy with her Xbox One only upgraded cause I found an S for her and she isn't even casual. She games daily. She even asked why she even needed it. I said, well there may be games that don't come out for the One......that was a lie at the time looking back.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You just have to follow the recent sales data of XSX vs XSS for and the stock improvement of the former. At that time in 2022, the shortage of XSX was almost absolute and XSS was enjoying discounts.
If your purpose is to believe that in almost 2 years the situation remains the same.....

You don’t have recent sales of X vs S do you?

Almost two years? What? Not even a year and a half.

Is this a hope you have or you got something a bit more concrete?

Darsxx82

You don’t have recent sales of X vs S do you?
Yes you have Japan sales every weeks.

Almost two years? What? Not even a year and a half.

Is this a hope you have or you got something a bit more concrete?
No, it is not hope, simply common sense when the stock of XSX n that period was almost non-existent and for months it has been widely accessible.

You have the sales split in Japan and the numerous information from the UK and the USA highlighting the increase in sales of the XSX model since the solution to Stock's problems was announced.
Maybe you are the one who hopes that nothing changed?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yes you have Japan sales every weeks.

No, it is not hope, simply common sense when the stock of XSX n that period was almost non-existent and for months it has been widely accessible.

You have the sales split in Japan and the numerous information from the UK and the USA highlighting the increase in sales of the XSX model since the solution to Stock's problems was announced.
Maybe you are the one who hopes that nothing changed?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I love my $150 Series S. I even plan to turn it on some day.
My free one from GameStop is pretty awesome. I didn't even have to buy one first to get it. They canceled my order during their BOGO fiasco in 2021 and sent a console anyway. I keep it connected to an older 1080p TV and it does the thing it's supposed to do.

If the prediction of 20M Series X/S sold from a few months ago was true...this means there was roughly only 5M Series X out there? Holy shit...no wonder then can't abandon Series S.

Top Bottom