• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox CEO Phil Spencer - "We have no plans to bring Xbox Game Pass to PlayStation or Nintendo."

Mr.Phoenix

Two things...

1. Didn't MS themselves say something along the lines that Sony stopped gamepass from being on PlayStation and it was something they were actively trying to do?
  2. No gamepass on PS? Thats it, I am tossing my PS5.

Last edited:

Crayon

Outside our fantasy bubble, sony already has a game pass. It's like a cut rate game pass but it's there and seems to be doing fine and does have catalog games that are a bigger draw, despite being older releases. It's not even understood how gp would work on another console.

damidu

what does gamepass has to do with going third party? jeez with fanboys like this, no wonder he is promoted to head of everything ms. lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But they consider Sony and Nintendo users part of their own ecosystem? Why would they fuck their own users like this?

It's simple, they're the peasant tier users.

vultouri.jpg

No, this is about Game Pass on PS or Nintendo. I don't know that I've seen anyone argue that they believe that is actually going to happen.

Yeah....plenty of speculation over MS going third party, but that's different.

Yeah but then again lots of users in the other thread were correlating the "game pass on other platforms news" directly as some kind of admission that they're going third party.

With this topic and Phil's statements here, that puts a pretty big damper on any of that talk entirely. Since whatever they're gonna do, game pass is an essential part of the gaming division at Xbox going forward.

Last edited:

GHound

I don't doubt that the only kind of GP Sony and Nintendo would allow on their stores is one that only had Microsoft owned IPs and that would have to be procured through their stores so they could get a cut.

Topher

Gold Member
Two things...

1. Didn't MS themselves say something along the lines that Sony stopped gamepass from being on PlayStation and it was something they were actively trying to do?

I don't recall that. Only thing I remember was emails going back and forth between Phil Spencer and Tim Sweeney mentioning xCloud on PS and Nintendo.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Which part? The 'going third party' part? Multiple users are saying that in the other thread. I don't want to quote spam here.
Im still saying that. They can't sell hardware to save their lives. What makes you think they'll keep producing hardware that nobody wants?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

vultouri.jpg

Yeah but then again lots of users in the other thread were correlating the "game pass on other platforms news" directly as some kind of admission that they're going third party.

With this topic and Phil's statements here, that puts a pretty big damper on any of that talk entirely. Since whatever they're gonna do, game pass is an essential part of the gaming division at Xbox going forward.
But Adam, game pass is for the peasants.

Topher

Gold Member

vultouri.jpg

Was that thread closed? I can't find it now. What "game pass on other platform news" was being discussed? I thought that thread was just about the CFO talking about first party on PS and Nitnendo.

adamsapple

Was that thread closed? I can't find it now. What "game pass on other platform news" was being discussed? I thought that thread was just about the CFO talking about first party on PS and Nitnendo.

No, it's still there.

I'll give one example here, apparently for some users that Stuart interview left no room for ambiguity about them going third party.

It definitely does, and these quotes leave no room for ambiguity here.

It seems like an announcement may even be closer than we thought. I think Microsoft is laying the groundwork for the inevitable announcement and testing the waters with interviews like these. It'll blow up the Internet when that happens, so they must want to treat carefully.

I don't think it's happening barring some severe circumstances like Nadella completely cutting off Xbox cold turkey.

Last edited:

Woopah

Currently they are getting 0% from the 100m+/40m+ PlayStation userbase. If they made an compelling offer with some assurances then Sony might go for it.
There's potential there, but I would imagine that some of the assurances PS would demand (no day 1 third party games, a cut of every subscription) would make it unattractive for Xbox.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Wow imagine being in his position and having no plans.

Xbox is doomed.

;)

Topher

Gold Member
No, it's still there.

I'll give one example here, apparently for some users that Stuart interview left no room for ambiguity about them going third party.

I don't think it's happening barring some severe circumstances like Nadella completely cutting off Xbox cold turkey.

First party experiences on PlayStation are already a thing with many games due to acquisitions. Not really that big of a leap to suggest MS may go further down that road. It is quite another to suggest this means Game Pass on PS and Nintendo. Phil Spencer is only addressing Game Pass on other platforms here. He isn't talking about more first party games going to PlayStation or Nintendo.

No, it's still there.

No room for ambiguity, announcement even closer than we think!

Dreams Keep Calm GIF

adamsapple

First party experiences on PlayStation are already a thing with many games due to acquisitions. Not really that big of a leap to suggest MS may go further down that road. It is quite another to suggest this means Game Pass on PS and Nintendo. Phil Spencer is only addressing Game Pass on other platforms here. He isn't talking about more first party games going to PlayStation or Nintendo.

I don't think that specific part is a stretch, we can safely say for a fact that IP's like Minecraft and CoD (till some years) will keep getting multi-platform releases.

But we've also seen cases where they've reigned them in like Indiana Jones.

There hasn't been a single example big enough that shows that they're serious in considering becoming a third party like Sega. Especially considering the leaked roadmap from a few months back had their next-gen hardware roadmap planned out already. So at the very least it isn't happening for the next generation as well. Outside of some *extreme* circumstances.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Meanwhile...

Remember when some ppl were saying the ABK deal was never compared to Minecraft?

Fun times. Brad Smith said this before the whole Phil/Jim CoD inadequate war of words started.

One of these days Phil and [insert MS exec here] will be on the same page.

The one thing we've learned about Phil this year is how much you can trust what he has to say.

Here's Phil discussing the issue with BG3 not launching on Xbox. As you can see this was never an issue with the hardware it was Larian not properly prioritizing their time and has nothing to do with the system.

"In terms of the two platforms, I want games to launch on both platforms. There are feature differences between the platforms. We have an ability to kind of handle that and how it works. Where teams are going to choose to focus their time and their effort is up to them. We're here to support them and what they want to go do. We want to make sure that games when they're launching on competitive platforms are also launching on Xbox.

So we're going to learn from this experience as well because we don't love that. But I don't think it's something that's a fatal flaw in the system. It's partners prioritizing their time, us listening and being a good partner to them. And you see some amazing games doing great work across S and X. Diablo looks great, Starfield looks great. Forza looks great across both. And I want to make sure console gaming is accessible to more people, and we think the price point of the console is a pretty important part of that."

Last edited:

jm89

In it's current form of course. Neither nintendo and sony will want to let a trojan horse onto their platform.

Heck even if they neuter the shit out of gamepass for other platforms, i can see sony still telling them to take a hike, unless they actually move away from being a direct competitor in the console space then maybe.

bender

What time is it?
Mostly because Sony and Nintendo have no plans for Game Pass on their systems. Maybe once Microsoft gets out of the hardware business.

Mowcno

But they consider Sony and Nintendo users part of their own ecosystem? Why would they fuck their own users like this?
Phil Spencer - "Just as we think of ROG Ally and Steam Deck as part of the Xbox community, we need to think of the many Nintendo Switch and PlayStation users as part of the Xbox community in the future,"

Tim Stuart CFO - "That means smart TVs, that means mobile devices, that means what we would have thought of as competitors in the past like PlayStation and Nintendo."

Then Phil Spencer after some Xbox users get upset online saying how committed they are to their hardware customers and they have no plans! Honest!

Talk about mixed messages! 😂

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I don't want to hang medals on myself, but it seems that I was quite right in my analysis in the other thread based simply on evidences... It is true that with MS it is difficult to apply 100% logic, but the steps taken, the statements and actions known during the court battle with the FTC and CMA, the movements that Spencer made in the organization chart (Sarah Bond hardware boss) and the leaked roadmaps told you definitively (and unfortunately for some) that Xbox console isn't going away anytime soon. Even less so when MS is now in the best possible situation to support its own console hardware where the vast majority of its most loyal and potential users are still located.

That being said, I think we'll now go back to a few months ago where Spencer lied to the FTC and CMA and wants to make everything exclusive to their ecosystem, desire to end PS, monopoly etc....:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

GHG

I will say though I'm glad that the cultists can now stop planning their infiltration on PC.

Xbox continuing to exist as it does today is a win-win for everyone, and I don't mean that lightly.

Darsxx82

But also, I want our fans and customers to know that I don't bring up games just to tease to no end ... if people have watched how we've teased things in the past. There's usually some kind of reconciliation of those hints later on ... I'm not one to try and lead people on. It might not happen on the timeline that people would love, but usually when I tease, there's something there."

HEXEN is real ?

Clean up in aisle 3! Get Phil to clean up this mess from another employee! Poor Phil doing damage control yet again. MS execs don’t even know how to be on the same page anymore.

Sanepar

C Level at Micrososft are executives and care about businness. C level at Xbox are fanboys clowns. They are fucked.

Top Bottom