• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Ok, so I never thought that I would even think about getting one of these, because of the $150 cost, but my buddy who's a Gamestop SM just offered me his brand new one that he got free from MS for $75, and I couldn't pass it up.

That being said, how does everyone like their's? What is good and what is bad? I know I could go through all 45 pages, but I'm lazy and want to know the general consensus now that it's been in people's hands for a while.

I just got the Elite controller :D what are the best settings? for both the button mapping and the paddles position

3jpIIQm.jpg

Simonnnnn

Hmm. Anyone else feel like their hair triggers are slightly off? As in I press them down and they feel unbalanced, I used the app too, left one pushes slightly deeper, by like a hair. So it's almost LT - 7, RT -8/9 depending. Is weird. Does anybody else have this problem?

I got a good amount of time in with this controller today, and like it. I'm not insanely crazy about it, but it is nice and feels good in the hands. The back paddles are helpful in games like Halo, as tapping the paddle quickly makes jumping easier and faster.

The switches that make the triggers feel different are weird, and I prefer the original way.

I tried setting up a custom set-up, but kept getting stick drift without touching anything. When I just used the regular Halo template for MP, it worked fine.

I like having one regular and one big joystick.

However, I'm going to have to go to the Microsoft Store and exchange my controller for a new one, as my second replacement is also problematic. It's got a view button that only registers if you press it hard, and it only likes being pressed at certain angles.

leng jai

I got a good amount of time in with this controller today, and like it. I'm not insanely crazy about it, but it is nice and feels good in the hands. The back paddles are helpful in games like Halo, as tapping the paddle quickly makes jumping easier and faster.

The switches that make the triggers feel different are weird, and I prefer the original way.

I tried setting up a custom set-up, but kept getting stick drift without touching anything. When I just used the regular Halo template for MP, it worked fine.

However, I'm going to have to go to the Microsoft Store and exchange my controller for a new one, as my second replacement is also problematic. It's got a view button that only registers if you press it hard, and it only likes being pressed at certain angles.

I don't think anyone can take you seriously anymore when it comes to things like this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Can you show us a picture of your gaming room?

Crzy1

Just got mine in a couple of hours ago and I've gotta say I'm finding it pretty impressive. Wasn't sure about the price tag, and I'm still not completely convinced, but the presentation definitely screams luxury item. It's slightly heavier than the 360 controller it's replacing, but the build quality is far-and-away better. Everything seems to be functioning as it should, no unresponsive buttons or anything. The thumbsticks have a lot more give before they activate the L3 and R3 than the 360 contoller, but I think the one I was using was just worn out anyway. The paddles are something else, got it setup to play GTA and it's nice to be able to sprint and make sharp turns with a controller and move quickly while aiming.

Haven't gotten to tweak many settings or try out all the different thumbsticks, but this thing is definitely going to make gaming with a controller a lot more enjoyable I think. Only intending on using it for my PC. It's pretty nice, when the time comes around, I may have to splurge for the elite Xbox One bundle if I get too accustomed to it.

thing is worth it just to have the sticks stay silky smooth. geometry wars with this thing is obscene. almost beat my pacifism score immediately after I bought it.

why do you keep returning these things?

Controller 1: Both joysticks made a ticking noise when moved. It didn't go away. Was worried clips were broken inside.

Controller 2: Refurbished replacement that had a loose left joystick which would slide when the controller was flipped over lightly. It wasn't built properly, and also had scratched buttons.

Controller 3: Another refurbished replacement, which had a broken 'select' button.

EDIT: Would the carrying case protect the thing from moisture well? I accidentally left my new unopened one in a family member's bedroom which has an adjoining washroom, and forgot to move it before they showered a couple of times. But the door was closed, the vent was on and the thing is in a heavy box plus carrying case. I'm sure it's fine.

Is there a problem with casting signs in Witcher 3 with the shallow trigger mode engaged?

If there is, you can adjust the triggers in the app to make sure it's registering as a full trigger pull. I don't have The Witcher 3 so I can't test to see if they require a full trigger pull.

Rootbeer

Banned
anyone using this to play Dragon's Dogma on Steam?

I haven't had a chance to really break mine in until this game came out, because I feel like it's really built for gamepads. It's been an amazing few hours using this to play it.

Just bought one and I think the bottom left paddle is broken. It doesn't sit quite right. It takes much more effort to press it than the other paddles, which leads to me accidentally not pressing it. Looking at the controller, I think it is the paddle itself which is shaped incorrectly, causing it to sit weird. Does anyone know whether Microsoft will replace just the metal paddle?

GavinGT

Banned
Just bought one and I think the bottom left paddle is broken. It doesn't sit quite right. It takes much more effort to press it than the other paddles, which leads to me accidentally not pressing it. Looking at the controller, I think it is the paddle itself which is shaped incorrectly, causing it to sit weird. Does anyone know whether Microsoft will replace just the metal paddle?

Try one of the other paddles in that spot. You can even use the right paddles upside down.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
As great as this is, the dpad still just doesn't feel right. Clicky is good, but it's clicky in a stiff unsatisfying way, it feels like it takes way too much effort to use it. I actually miss the 360 bumpers being little buttons too, rather than the entire ridge, but that's just the new design I guess.

Moisture from a shower couldn't get through the carrying case (or the box and carrying case), correct?

(Not returning one for this reason, just worried. I think this one's good.)

jax

Banned
Any word on the paddles getting proper keyboard mapping support yet? Tired of looking at this $200 paperweight.

Ecto311

Moisture from a shower couldn't get through the carrying case (or the box and carrying case), correct?

(Not returning one for this reason, just worried. I think this one's good.)

So what if it does? It isn't going to do anything bad if so. Unless you dip this thing in water or spill it directly into the holes it's fine. I have used my iPhone 6+ in a steamy shower almost every day for the last year and a half and it is like new.

So what if it does? It isn't going to do anything bad if so. Unless you dip this thing in water or spill it directly into the holes it's fine. I have used my iPhone 6+ in a steamy shower almost every day for the last year and a half and it is like new.

I'm crazy, first off, and feel that if any moisture got on it it could've caused damage. I accidentally left the box in a family member's bedroom because I didn't want it in the kitchen and didn't feel like going downstairs just then. There's a shower there, but there's a fan, doors, etc.

Plus it was unopened.

Did I mention I'm insane?

enemy2k

Was at my local Best Buy over the weekend and they had about 10 of the controllers just sitting there. Looks like supply issues have died down?

Ade

I'm crazy, first off, and feel that if any moisture got on it it could've caused damage. I accidentally left the box in a family member's bedroom because I didn't want it in the kitchen and didn't feel like going downstairs just then. There's a shower there, but there's a fan, doors, etc.

Plus it was unopened.

There is more moisture coming from your hands.

Smokey

What paddle configuration do you all have setup for Halo 5?

For some reason I've found that it's easier for me to use the paddles when playing BLOPS III than Halo 5. I don't know if it's muscle memory or what.

Soodanim

My controller's d-pad is the tiniest bit loose, so when I touch any area near down at all (with or without a magnetic attachment in and not even clicking, just touching) it moves and makes a noise on coming back up. Not that bad especially as I usually use headphones but it's not something I can forget.

anyone using this to play Dragon's Dogma on Steam?

I haven't had a chance to really break mine in until this game came out, because I feel like it's really built for gamepads. It's been an amazing few hours using this to play it.
I use one paddle for L3 (sprint) and one for B (loot). That takes care of the two most common presses for me.

Plus it was unopened.

Seek help 😁

GavinGT

Banned

For some reason I've found that it's easier for me to use the paddles when playing BLOPS III than Halo 5. I don't know if it's muscle memory or what.

I use upper left for sprint and lower left for zoom. Those two were previously mapped to the joystick clicks, and that shit tears up my hand and affects my aiming after a while.

mf.luder

My friend bought one and I tried it out. My only issue is that the way I hold the controller I would be pressing the paddles underneath and I don't know if I would enjoy altering that.

Maybe I just need some more time with it.

The build quality was great and I really liked the magnetic features of it.

I hope Sony does something a little similar or at least makes use of the touchpad more.

My friend bought one and I tried it out. My only issue is that the way I hold the controller I would be pressing the paddles underneath and I don't know if I would enjoy altering that.

Maybe I just need some more time with it.

The build quality was great and I really liked the magnetic features of it.

I hope Sony does something a little similar or at least makes use of the touchpad more.

It takes a little time to get used to the paddles. I'm the person that grips the controller tight, but now with the Elite, I have to loosen up my grip.

Once you get used to it, you'll never want to use a regular controller again.

BraXzy

Two small paddles. Top slots. Left paddle = Thrust, Right paddle = Jump. Default controls :)

Seek help ��

I am, but it's not working.

I'm sure the controller is fine, but just can't stop thinking about it. The door was closed, the fan was on and the controller was in a big box and plush fabric carrying case, which was zipped.

EDIT: What is the carrying case made out of? Nylon?

Samaritan

Apologies if this has been covered extensively before, but didn't feel like digging through pages and pages before asking this.

Is there a way to make it so Windows (10, for reference) sees the four back paddles as additional inputs instead of just secondary inputs for the same set of buttons already on the face of the controller?

jax

Banned
Apologies if this has been covered extensively before, but didn't feel like digging through pages and pages before asking this.

Is there a way to make it so Windows (10, for reference) sees the four back paddles as additional inputs instead of just secondary inputs for the same set of buttons already on the face of the controller?
Nope. Microsoft said "when the chatpad is released" which was bullshit, apparently.

I'm sure the controller is fine, but just can't stop thinking about it. The door was closed, the fan was on and the controller was in a big box and plush fabric carrying case, which was zipped.

It's fine. Stop doing this to yourself. There is more moisture in your hands. No moisture from a shower would penetrate the case.

krang

I feel like I've ruined controllers forever, with this.

I'm no longer excited by my Elite. The paddles and are no longer a novelty and the materials and weight don't feel unusual any more. But every time I have to pick up a normal controller, I'm like "eeuuuww".

Bgamer90

Banned
I feel like I've ruined controllers forever, with this.

I'm no longer excited by my Elite. The paddles and are no longer a novelty and the materials and weight don't feel unusual any more. But every time I have to pick up a normal controller, I'm like "eeuuuww".

Yep. That's pretty much how I am now.

.J.

Banned

Dude...

Ade

I'm honestly starting to think you're trolling now. This is getting stupid.

Top Bottom