• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

When will they start selling new parts? I'm holding out for short convex joysticks.

I was actually just in the middle of typing a post that included this. The convex top is easier on my finger when using click to sprint all the time, but I'd rather it be the standard height. I tried using a paddle for sprint, but it can get really awkward if the game doesn't have an option for "hold to sprint" instead of it being a toggle.

Also, I hadn't realized just how much I reload in Borderlands 2. I ended up assigning paddles to jump and reload.

Burger

Unbelievable that you can only map the paddles to other controller buttons in Windows. Anyone know of any workarounds?

MS could learn a lot from Valve here, the Xbox Accessories app is fucking awful.

vg260

Wait what. Why? Why? Why?

Well, the chatpad has special buttons for OS functions, and they can't be reassigned until an update later this year, so maybe there's something under the hood they're working on for controller functions to do OS tasks.

I do like the idea, so hopefully it's in the works.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, the chatpad has special buttons for OS functions, and they can't be reassigned until an update later this year, so maybe there's something under the hood they're working on for controller functions to do OS tasks.

I do like the idea, so hopefully it's in the works.

If I wanted to use the controller on an emulator, couldn't I just map new commands directly to the paddles?

What about using Windows 7?

Justinh

Unbelievable that you can only map the paddles to other controller buttons in Windows.

I was under the impression that they had to only be able to be mapped to other buttons so the controller could remain tournament-legal. I know some guy (was it Stinkles?) hinted at possible screenshot and clip making functionality but there hasn't been any official word, has there? (I haven't been keeping up)

Well, I'm not holding my breath, and I never really saw the Elite controller as a competitor to the steam controller.

If I wanted to use the controller on an emulator, couldn't I just map new commands directly to the paddles?

What about using Windows 7?

I'm pretty sure the paddles must be set in a Windows 10 app or an Xbox One, otherwise they'll be the default mappings. As of now the elite controller doesn't have any more buttons than a standard Xbox One controller, I believe. Just paddles that can be substituted for the buttons, or d-pad directions, or trigger pulls. I think that's right...

How is the circular pad? Does it feel better to do special motions on it than the current pad?

I still use the cross for fighting games, just because I'm so used to it, but I really like it for Streets of Rage and Guacamelee. I think it feels more comfortable.

Spasm

Posted earlier that my Left bumper was playing up. It somehow got worse and now this happens:

D16NEkD.jpg

Sigh.

EDIT: Contacted Xbox Support - they're replacing it for free and I'm allowed to keep the old controller.

Damn.

Same exact defect on mine. On the phone with support now, hoping I get the same outcome.

Edit: Ugh, I've got to send it in.

catabarez

What type of eneloops should I get for this controller? Also can anyone recommend a charger that will charge more than 4 batteries at a time?

Had em for 3 weeks now, still can't get used to all 4 paddles in the back, just don't feel comfortable and so I revert to just 2 paddles. Is there a trick to this? I hover finger over the paddles and that just makes things worse.

The only time I truly feel comfortable with all four paddles is when i hold the controller in a downward angle. But that's just not realistic for long term gaming sessions.

Lima

Had em for 3 weeks now, still can't get used to all 4 paddles in the back, just don't feel comfortable and so I revert to just 2 paddles. Is there a trick to this? I hover finger over the paddles and that just makes things worse.

The only time I truly feel comfortable with all four paddles is when i hold the controller in a downward angle. But that's just not realistic for long term gaming sessions.

Don't use four paddles. Two paddles are enough. You like don't need reload on a paddle for Halo for example. Jump and Thrust are enough.

I
I'm pretty sure the paddles must be set in a Windows 10 app or an Xbox One, otherwise they'll be the default mappings. As of now the elite controller doesn't have any more buttons than a standard Xbox One controller, I believe. Just paddles that can be substituted for the buttons, or d-pad directions, or trigger pulls. I think that's right...

Wow this is a huge letdown, can anybody using it for pc confirm this? I was hoping the paddles could be used for 4 extra button mappings in games.

Wow this is a huge letdown, can anybody using it for pc confirm this? I was hoping the paddles could be used for 4 extra button mappings in games.

For now this is how it works. They're duplicates you can set in the app and the assignments are stored on the controller itself. It would be nice to have them act as extra buttons in some cases, but I doubt that was the intent.

leng jai

Still boggles my mind how they're wasting the paddles. They should have been mappable to any key from the get go, let alone still waiting for that functionality now.

If anyone is looking for one I ended up scoring an extra over the holiday. Would sell it for what it cost to me including shipping. Going to take it back any ways tomorrow. Not interested in any profit from it. I sell a lot in the neogaf community.

Just PM me asap.

RS4-

Fuck it, I'm just gonna sell mine. Used it for 30 mins, feels really nice; but really, no point in me keeping it since COD implemented bumper jumper to the config.

Vitacat

Ugh. Add me to the list of people with an Elite controller that developed a button issue.

My left bumper has become less responsive than the right. Very slightly "sticky" and works better from the side than the top. I just noticed it yesterday -- it was not like this a day or two ago. This literally happened out of nowhere. Never dropped, always kept immaculately clean.

I own 2 of them, and this is my slightly "older" one (by about 2 weeks) that came with my Elite console (xmas gift from wife). My "newer" one is still perfect, but now I'm left wondering about the internal quality of these controllers. I've read they are the same inside as the standard controllers, and I suspect that's true. I have many controllers, and have never seen something like this. Very worrisome, especially for the money.

So, probably going to send it to Microsoft for servicing.

UGH.

Lima

Got my new Elite from Amazon yesterday. This one doesn't have the sticky right trigger and I can finally use trigger stops but it has that annoying clicking sound some people mentioned in here when moving the analog sticks.

I haven't really found that it negatively impacts the experience compared to a controller that doesn't do it other than the fact that the sound is kinda annoying.

Guess I will just keep it.

Was able to snag one from my bestbuy today!

Trucks come in wednesdays and fridays.

Now.. Umm... Uber tips plz??? I got lost on what to do in the xbox accessory app like there stuff missing

Lnkn52

Was able to snag one from my bestbuy today!

Trucks come in wednesdays and fridays.

Now.. Umm... Uber tips plz??? I got lost on what to do in the xbox accessory app like there stuff missing
It should be in the settings menu (devices). You can assign the buttons etc.

I didn't know you can adjust the analog sticks sensitivity in the menu as well. Don't know where that is though, but to be honest I didn't look for it either.

I should get my replacement today, as I sent away the one I received due to its left joystick being loose. Hopefully it's in better shape.

I look forward to using it.

It should be in the settings menu (devices). You can assign the buttons etc.

I didn't know you can adjust the analog sticks sensitivity in the menu as well. Don't know where that is though, but to be honest I didn't look for it either.

With some more tinkering i found those settings. Pretty cool how easy it is to adjust. Tells me exactly what it does too. I left my right stick at default and changed my left stick to smooth. Adjusted the deadzone for my left trigger.

Pretty awesome stuff.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has anyone concluded how many ms using the USB cable shave off input lag? Wondering whether I should bother going wired

Still boggles my mind how they're wasting the paddles. They should have been mappable to any key from the get go, let alone still waiting for that functionality now.

Is this functionality actually coming? I was sort of thinking it would already be possible on PC, but I take it it's not. I would love to use something like this instead of my Steam Controller, but I'm a little on the fence now if the functionality is really limited as far as reprogramming the buttons. (As in, I just ordered one, and now I'm wondering if I'll end up taking it back.)

So I came into $250 for winning my fantasy football league, and I thought I'd treat myself. I currently mostly game on my PC and PS4 but I was thinking about picking one of these up with a CronusMax+ or something. Is the controller actually that great? I can't get my hands on one to feel it, but I've heard that the bumper buttons are much improved (my primary gripe for the Xbox One controller). Is it drastically improved over the regular Xbox One controller? I've heard complaints about the paddles--do they work as expected?

So I came into $250 for winning my fantasy football league, and I thought I'd treat myself. I currently mostly game on my PC and PS4 but I was thinking about picking one of these up with a CronusMax+ or something. Is the controller actually that great? I can't get my hands on one to feel it, but I've heard that the bumper buttons are much improved (my primary gripe for the Xbox One controller). Is it drastically improved over the regular Xbox One controller? I've heard complaints about the paddles--do they work as expected?

It uses the new bumpers that all new xbox controllers use, which is to say, about 10x better than the original Xbox One controller. I hated the bumpers on the original Xbox One controllers, and these are perfectly fine (Way less hard to press and way less "clicky"). It is an immediately noticeable difference. I assume the Elite controller's bumpers are similarly improved. So it depends on what type of bumpers you've had experience with.

It uses the new bumpers that all new xbox controllers use, which is to say, about 10x better than the original Xbox One controller. I hated the bumpers on the original Xbox One controllers, and these are perfectly fine (Way less hard to press and way less "clicky"). It is an immediately noticeable difference. I assume the Elite controller's bumpers are similarly improved. So it depends on what type of bumpers you've had experience with.

That's good to hear. I have a Day One edition controller, and I hate the bumpers with a passion. I'll keep thinking on it, but $150 is a hell of a lot (plus the CronusMax) for a controller.

Has anyone concluded how many ms using the USB cable shave off input lag? Wondering whether I should bother going wired

They say the lag difference is negligible. I am curious if anyone's tested it, though.

I use wired to avoid messing with batteries and ensure the strongest vibration and loudest headphone volume at all times. Those things kind of weaken when you have low batteries in a wireless controller and when I'm using the Elite, I expect maximum quality all around. The included cable is really nice and really long, too.

That's good to hear. I have a Day One edition controller, and I hate the bumpers with a passion. I'll keep thinking on it, but $150 is a hell of a lot (plus the CronusMax) for a controller.

Ha, I'm with you. Just saw them come up on sale at Best Buy, bought one, and then had near instant buyer's remorse. It's just so much for a controller. We'll see if I hang onto it.

Crzy1

Finally back in stock in the Microsoft Store. Edit: Aaaaaannnnnddd it's gone. These things vanish so quickly.

Went ahead and ordered one, time to see what this thing is all about. My 360 controller that I've been using on the PC has served me well, but it's time to retire it, the thumbsticks have been worn smooth and have a lot of play. Damn $150 is a lot for a controller, then I'm going to have to get an adapter on top of that. I think I'll get over the price when I have it in my hands if it's as impressive as people say.

GavinGT

Banned
After playing lots of Halo and Destiny, I can say it's worth every dime. Remapping the joystick clicks to the paddles has greatly reduced my hand strain, and now I can play better and for longer. It's something I'd highly recommend to anyone with old man hands like me. It changes everything.

Finally back in stock in the Microsoft Store.

WTF... it was available for pre-order on or around Christmas and was supposed ship on the 28th but apparently hadn't shipped by the 31st and the MS Store rep said the holidays were giving their systems trouble and it most likely had shipped and would be here between Jan. 4th-8th and now they just come back in stock today which makes me doubt mine was even shipped before today. Between this and my sister getting, returning and receiving again an ipad mini + a replacement I might explode.

im still getting used to the paddles in halo 5. using their default but left paddles are B for thrust and right paddles are A for Jump. I clench a little and jump when i really meant to shoot or jump as im shooting my 2nd 3rd shot.

anyone have paddle recommendations?

currenlty using the 2 small ones
one top left
one bottom right

Crzy1

WTF... it was available for pre-order on or around Christmas and was supposed ship on the 28th but apparently hadn't shipped by the 31st and the MS Store rep said the holidays were giving their systems trouble and it most likely had shipped and would be here between Jan. 4th-8th and now they just come back in stock today which makes me doubt mine was even shipped before today. Between this and my sister getting, returning and receiving again an ipad mini + a replacement I might explode.

Mine hasn't shipped, can't say that it will even go through, still haven't been charged. I'll give it through the weekend to see if there is any progress made, by then I may have talked myself out of it anyway. It came in stock and went out of stock rather quickly (had checked a couple of hours earlier and it went down almost immediately after I ordered), so they may not have actually gotten any stock in at all. Seems it's backordered until spring in a lot of places, I know GameStop has them in a bundle, but fuck GameStop anyway.

Edit: Just got shipping confirmation, guess they did have some in stock. Thought it might have been a glitch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
NOTE TO SELF: Turn off hair triggers before going from SWAT to Slayer.

"WHY AM I SO BAD?"

"Oh, half my weapons don't work correctly."

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Joke post?

Just download the Halo 5 multiplayer player profile in the accessories app.

Stinkles works for 343i. I think what he's talking about is that some weapons (ones that don't show up in SWAT) have different functions when you hold down the trigger. It's still possible with hair triggers on, but you have to squeeze really hard.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Stinkles works for 343i. I think what he's talking about is that some weapons (ones that don't show up in SWAT) have different functions when you hold down the trigger. It's still possible with hair triggers on, but you have to squeeze really hard.
I know he work for 343i and with the profile the plasma pistol etc work with hair trigger

Top Bottom