• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Nah, walked in and they had luckily just gotten a shipment. Hadn't even put it out on the store floor yet.

I'll have to try that sometime. I work a few minutes away from one maybe I'll get lucky too. I also am from California and getting stuff like this can be pretty hard. Too many damn people.

Stories??

Sorry, wasn't intending to be vague but I also don't like directly accusing anyone of anything and would rather people trying to find the info on their own. Guess I was wrong to want that!

It was discussed in a thread here on GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904874

and if you google Cronus Conspiracy there's an article on another site about it. Other information is around about it and can apparently be backed up, so I'd, personally, rather not provide money to a company that has actively engaged in this nonsense.

The other part being that I prefer the Brook for not requiring extra hardware and wonky setups to work. The fact they sell adapters for each situation is not a cheap one, but I bet it's because of how they make the devices not require constant re-authentication. That and, to be honest, I only really needed to use an Elite on my PS4.

blodtann

Banned
This is my biggest worry with regards to this controller. If this is a common issue then it might put me off of getting one.

This was an issue for me since I grip the controller tight. I ended up using just two of the smallest paddles on the two furthest away slots. Works like a champ.

However, I cannot remap the paddles to any other buttons, they seemed fixed to which ever button they were programmed at. Is this a missing feature?

This is probably just a general xbox one controller issue, but does anyone else have a lot of dead skin/dirt accumulation on the sticks? I've just been softly scraping it off with my fingernails but that may be wearing down the grip. Any better strategies?

Kent

This is probably just a general xbox one controller issue, but does anyone else have a lot of dead skin/dirt accumulation on the sticks? I've just been softly scraping it off with my fingernails but that may be wearing down the grip. Any better strategies?

If you can get a somewhat-soft generic toothbrush, they're great for cleaning controllers or other electronics where hair/skin/dirt can get into smaller spaces.

Sorry, wasn't intending to be vague but I also don't like directly accusing anyone of anything and would rather people trying to find the info on their own. Guess I was wrong to want that!

It was discussed in a thread here on GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904874

and if you google Cronus Conspiracy there's an article on another site about it. Other information is around about it and can apparently be backed up, so I'd, personally, rather not provide money to a company that has actively engaged in this nonsense.

The other part being that I prefer the Brook for not requiring extra hardware and wonky setups to work. The fact they sell adapters for each situation is not a cheap one, but I bet it's because of how they make the devices not require constant re-authentication. That and, to be honest, I only really needed to use an Elite on my PS4.

Interesting. I'd gladly try the Brook X1 to PS4 adapter if I could find one for sale. Anyone know where to buy these?

Moa

Posted earlier that my Left bumper was playing up. It somehow got worse and now this happens:

D16NEkD.jpg

Sigh.

EDIT: Contacted Xbox Support - they're replacing it for free and I'm allowed to keep the old controller.

Damn.

Posted earlier that my Left bumper was playing up. It somehow got worse and now this happens:

http://i.imgur.com/D16NEkD.jpg[IMG]

Sigh.

EDIT: Contacted Xbox Support - they're replacing it for free and I'm allowed to keep the old controller.

Damn.[/QUOTE]

Can you tear it apart and see if it's fixable? Wonder if it just popped out of place or something. Would be an easy way to have 2 elites =D

Glad their support came through like that!

Neil_J_UK

I prefer playing with the bottom left/right paddle removed. Feels way more comfortable as I can grip the controller, and I don't accidentally press the top two like I do with the others.

Moa

Can you tear it apart and see if it's fixable? Wonder if it just popped out of place or something. Would be an easy way to have 2 elites =D

Glad their support came through like that!

Don't really want to open it up in case Amazon get pissy when I send off the original for the refund.

But it looks like a piece of plastic has just straight up snapped off somewhere.

Scuf revealed that it will also have the exclusive rights to build third-party accessories for the Elite controller.
http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/15/s...o-make-the-xbox-elite-controller-even-better/

Has anything come of this yet? I checked Scuf's site and found nothing. My elite controller is coming on Thursday and it would be cool to snag some custom accessories for it, but no one seems to have any. Even some extra paddles might be nice, as I've heard some people say they think the long ones are too long. Well, could you just use 4 small ones? (if you had 4) I know around the announcement of it, they had some that were being shown:

D16NEkD.jpg

Sigh.

Damn.

How did you talk them into letting you keep it? I keep hearing how awful their support is so hearing that they're sending you this free is interesting.

Moa

How did you talk them into letting you keep it? I keep hearing how awful their support is so hearing that they're sending you this free is interesting.

Contacted them and instantly the guy asked for my console serial number. I think he misunderstood that I had the Elite bundle or something and he was telling me I couldn't get a replacement because it was out of warranty.

I kept questioning why my console warranty (a console that I bought in 2013) had anything to do with my Elite controller that I bought two months ago. He said that there was nothing further he could do. So I asked a few more times why I couldn't do a paid replacement or a paid fix and he said he'd look into it.

20 minutes later he said that they would be able to do a free replacement and that I was allowed to keep my old controller too. I guess he talked to someone and they clarified for him?

Either way, pretty cool.

Omie

This was an issue for me since I grip the controller tight. I ended up using just two of the smallest paddles on the two furthest away slots. Works like a champ.

However, I cannot remap the paddles to any other buttons, they seemed fixed to which ever button they were programmed at. Is this a missing feature?

When you go into button mapping, the controller button has a drop down menu. Scroll all the way down to find the paddles.

GavinGT

Banned
Anyone know how backed up Amazon is with its preorders? I preordered a few days ago and I'm wondering how long the wait is likely to be.

Anyone know how backed up Amazon is with its preorders? I preordered a few days ago and I'm wondering how long the wait is likely to be.

If you have any Canadian friends, Best Buy has had it in stock all day on their website. $170 Canadian (I think that's around $120 USD?)

The product page estimates "Spring 2016", so it could be a while.

I preordered one 2-3 days ago, then setup some alerts on nowinstock.com. Then today at like 3:30 am EST Walmart.com got some in stock so I ordered from there and cancelled the Amazon order. Walmart had them for about 4 hours, then 3 more times throughout the day for 10 minutes each time. I'm guessing those 3 more times were cancelled orders from the initial 4 hours. It looks like Target.com had some for about 20 minutes shortly after 5:00 am EST.

GavinGT

Banned
The product page estimates "Spring 2016", so it could be a while.

I preordered one, then setup some alerts on nowinstock.com. After 2-3 days Walmart.com got some in stock so I ordered from there and cancelled the Amazon order. Walmart had them for about 4 hours, then 3 more times throughout the day for 10 minutes each time. I'm guessing those 3 more times were cancelled orders from the initial 4 hours. It looks like Target.com had some for about 20 minutes shortly after 5:00 am EST.

Thanks, I'll do the same.

BraXzy

Life. One of my paddles is really lose, or feels like it. I've only been using it for three days :3

The left side feels real nice and solid (being used less, its thrust as opposed to jump). It wiggles like a milimeter but feels really secure. The right side however moves a hell of a lot more. From the flat part being flush, it moves what feels like a few centimetres. It's wobbly and stuff. Still functional but ahhhh :/

ClearData

I ended up going with the GameStop Elite Controller and battery charger stand combo. I did pay more but my controller is as great as advertised and I like having the stand on my desk ready to charge for next use. I use the Elite for PC gaming and it has been fantastic so far.

This is sorta off topic so bear with me.

I have a standard Xbox controller and I want to change the button mapping for one game. Is there a way to do that or am I going to have to remap the controls when switching between games?

Just trying to make halo reach play with cod controls like I did with the halo games in tmcc

I suppose the other option would be to set my second controller up specifically for halo reach but that sure seems like a roundabout way to do it

Got this controller for Xmas and am LOVING IT. It is heavy, it has great traction and just feels right.

The fact that you can directly connect the headphones to it plus the new Headset Volume Controls GUI in the Xbox One Dashboard are great additions.

Hopefully it will work longer than the OG Xbox One controller that I have which went dead after 8 months.

This is sorta off topic so bear with me.

I have a standard Xbox controller and I want to change the button mapping for one game. Is there a way to do that or am I going to have to remap the controls when switching between games?

Just trying to make halo reach play with cod controls like I did with the halo games in tmcc

I suppose the other option would be to set my second controller up specifically for halo reach but that sure seems like a roundabout way to do it

You can change the button mapping, but it is more of a system level change than an individual game per game change. you have to go into settings - devices - controller - and then something else i forgot.

i believe it's labeled button mapping. I messed with it once, but then stopped because i want the elite and the paddles.

You can change the button mapping, but it is more of a system level change than an individual game per game change. you have to go into settings - devices - controller - and then something else i forgot.

i believe it's labeled button mapping. I messed with it once, but then stopped because i want the elite and the paddles.
Yeah, that's what I feared, that it's system level and not on a game by game basis with the standard controller. I like to hop into reach once in a while but having to go back and forth seems like a mission. Oh well, wish it would let me save configurations in the app

I think the best option would be to switch the controls in game to green thumb and simply swap the RB and LT on the OS level. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I feared, that it's system level and not on a game by game basis with the standard controller. I like to hop into reach once in a while but having to go back and forth seems like a mission. Oh well, wish it would let me save configurations in the app

I think the best option would be to switch the controls in game to green thumb and simply swap the RB and LT on the OS level. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Green Thumb. We're best friends now.

Sorry in advance. haha!

Be hesitant if you're offered a free replacement without needing to ship yours away, because they're apparently not able to do that. They told me that'd be done for me, but then nothing arrived and I ended up having to ship mine away.

I bought a new one, but won't be able to pick it up for a handful of days.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I live in the US, did some people say you could walk into best buy and get one?

That's how I got mine 2 or 3 weeks back. Just happened to see 4 on the shelf.

So I doubt they're plentiful, but they're at least getting them in. No idea if it's nationwide, or certain regions getting more stock etc. though.

I was on the fence when I saw this controller. So instead of getting just the controller, I bought the entire Elite bundle and sold my extra Xbox One.

The controller is well worth the cost.

Anyone else having an issue with it disconnecting a lot if it's used with a plug n play unit when it's running low? It runs fine when it's fully charged, but once it drains to 1 bar, it starts acting up.

It's more annoying than anything, but I'm wondering if it's the plug n play device or the controller.

I was on the fence when I saw this controller. So instead of getting just the controller, I bought the entire Elite bundle and sold my extra Xbox One.

The controller is well worth the cost.

That's exactly what I did, I basically upgraded for 150 bucks and got a free game with it. Great deal.

Ecto311

I have had this controller since xmas and decided to return it. Knowing that it is hard to find is anyone interested in it before I return it? I am not looking for profit just the cost plus shipping. It is in 100% new condition and maybe used 5 hours total. Removed the paddles on the back since they were pressing things until I realized I could double tap the sync button to stop that.

Even with that I can't justify the price vs the experience of using it. If interested PM me and I can only take amazon gift cards but I have a ton of feedback on here. $160 shipped in the states.

Turns out it's the left joystick that is loose in the replacement I was sent. If I hold the left joystick hub with my finger while flipping it over lightly, there's no sound, but if I let go it slides. They're letting me send it back for free, and will try to get me a new/better one, which is appreciated.

The hassle sucks, but hopefully the second time will be the charm.

EDIT: Should I include a note mentioning that this was a replacement and politely asking for one in great shape in exchange? Or will that maybe spur some anger?

Pepiope

Anyone else having an issue with it disconnecting a lot if it's used with a plug n play unit when it's running low? It runs fine when it's fully charged, but once it drains to 1 bar, it starts acting up.

It's more annoying than anything, but I'm wondering if it's the plug n play device or the controller.
Speaking of the battery, anyone know if there is any type of battery indicator on PC? Or am I stuck just waiting for it to die?

Vitacat

1 bar on any rechargeable device means time to recharge. I've never run mine down to less than half, and get several days of long play easily.

RS4-

Just opened mine up, no grinding or clicking on any of the analogs.

I'll probably pick up the cronus again later on this week.

I didn't expect to receive mine until January 6th, but the one I ordered was delivered to our community mailbox today. I just checked the shipment tracking out of curiosity, figuring it was at a depot or something, but it was delivered four hours ago and has been sitting a mile away in the mailbox.

The fact that it's been outside for four hours has been driving my OCD nuts, but it is one degree out there and it's packaged, plus in a mailbox.

dzelly

Just grabbed one on Tuesday and i love it! I also got a Cronus Max Plus for Xmas, so I'm now playing PS4 with the elite controller, which is pretty great!

Top Bottom