• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass General Discussion

Kagey K

Banned
And Spaghetti westerns. It is not a game I can play for more than 20 minutes in one sitting, but in small doses it is fun, in a way games like Hotline Miami are fun.
Yeah it's a play a few levels and move on kind of game, or squeeze in a few quick rounds when you don't have time to play something else.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
I don't know where to ask

I'm not Halo guy but i downloaded master chief collection to play the series before halo infinite

The question is which halo i play first and in what order ?

reksveks

Looks like the 'play via xcloud whilst you download' should be announced this week. I also expect the xcloud app will drop this coming week or the 27th

I do wonder how this works for games not on xcloud but on gamepass. Assuming there is some contractual stuff there that might be a bit weird.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

I'm not Halo guy but i downloaded master chief collection to play the series before halo infinite

I think as they are listed they are in chronological order.

Skip ODST. Completely.

Halo CE got a touch-up so looks OK, halo 2 looks the most dated.

Kagey K

Banned

Go to cross game playlists, load the Master Chief Saga playlist and go. Do ODST and Reach after you complete that, Halo 5.

The Tourist is leaving at the end of the month for anyone interested. It’s relatively short and can be finished in 4-5 hours.

Roberts

Reach is the prequel, but I don’t think you should play it first, because the end simply won’t have the same emotional impact without experiencing the following story. Think of it like Rogue One of Halo franchise.

Roberts

The Tourist is leaving at the end of the month for anyone interested. It’s relatively short and can be finished in 4-5 hours.
yup, it is a neat little, relaxing game...until you get to the platform it bits that can be a bit frustrating, but the graphics are great, especially the tilt shift effect. Anyway, loaded it up after hearing the news - got two achievements left. Hopefully I will get those before it leaves GP, because I don’t think it is a game that I need to buy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

TW_Available-Today_Coming-Soon_templates_7.20.2021_3.jpg

catvonpee

Oh shit, I've been following the Project Wingman dev team on Twitter for years! It's exciting to see the game is finally out. Idk how I missed this.

b6a6es

Banned
While many talked about how does it affect the industry, people not buying games blah blah blah, in the end, it has no effect on the end user as it’s without a doubt one the best deals in gaming to the end-User.

except, what if One day, Microsoft decided to release an actual Gamepass exclusive, As an Non-Purchasable game whether on Xbox or Steam/PC where the Gamepass Subscription is Mandatory just to gain access to the game.

the worst part is, nobody can complain about it since it’s pretty much the standard in the streaming service, you Cannot buy some Netflix exclusive series on a DVD/BR or VOD simply to entice the customer to start subscribing to the service

worst yet, said GP exclusive could be an Xcloud timed-exclusive for several months to avoid Piracy (cloud streamed games are impossible to Pirate)

what do you think about it ? Do you believe Microsoft will open that can of worms ?

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Okay, so you subscribe for one month to play that game, and then unsub. Where lies the problem? Or is this another one of those "I need to own my games" threads?

Funny it's only games people care about owning. Films, shows and music has been pay to play for years now.

Interfectum

While many talked about how does it affect the industry, people not buying games blah blah blah, in the end, it has no effect on the end user as it’s without a doubt one the best deals in gaming to the end-User.

except, what if One day, Microsoft decided to release an actual Gamepass exclusive, As an Non-Purchasable game whether on Xbox or Steam/PC where the Gamepass Subscription is Mandatory just to gain access to the game.

the worst part is, nobody can complain about it since it’s pretty much the standard in the streaming service, you Cannot buy some Netflix exclusive series on a DVD/BR or VOD simply to entice the customer to start subscribing to the service

worst yet, said GP exclusive could be an Xcloud timed-exclusive for several months to avoid Piracy (cloud streamed games are impossible to Pirate)

what do you think about it ? Do you believe Microsoft will open that can of worms ?
You are concerned that one day you won't be able to put down $60+ on a game that you can just play on a Game Pass sub?

Are you the one person who purchased the boxed set of Stranger Things from Amazon?

Chukhopops

- You can buy most Netflix originals as standalone content, which makes sense because it’s extra revenue;
- MS has no reason to do that since they benefit from selling their games, many of which are top sellers on Steam;
- GP doesn’t really need that either to be successful since the value is just ridiculous by itself.

I wouldn’t worry about hypothetical scenarios.

Jaysen

Banned
How dare you show concern about a shift that will most likely ruin the hobby for it's core consumer base?
“What if car makers start making cars that purposefully drive themselves off of cliffs?!”
”Your very premise is flawed and is antithetical to the very reason cars were created.”
”How dare you show concern about a shift in the industry that would….blah blah blahhhhhhhh!”

b6a6es

Banned
You are concerned that one day you won't be able to put down $60+ on a game that you can just play on a Game Pass sub?

games get cheaper over time, especially on steam, and it’s more about not wanting to be tied to a subscription if im only interested in that single title that i could possibly play for years (example if TES6/7 becomes a Gamepass Exclusive)

Last edited:

b6a6es

Banned
- You can buy most Netflix originals as standalone content, which makes sense because it’s extra revenue;
- MS has no reason to do that since they benefit from selling their games, many of which are top sellers on Steam;
- GP doesn’t really need that either to be successful since the value is just ridiculous by itself.

Seeing some XGS games topping steam charts gives me hope that Microsoft won’t open that can of worms, as there’s demand for them on steam

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
What if Sony decides to crank prices up to $140 per game
What if Nintendo decides to kill online on all their platforms
What if MS decides to make Gampass $45/month

Nothing anywhere points to this but I'm very concerned! Help!
What if Sony sells a digital only console?!
What if then Sony raises the price of digital games?
What if then Sony stops allowing major retailers to discount PSN gift cards?
What if then Sony stops allowing their first party games to be included in major retailers promotions ?

Oops, my bad, I actually described a scenario that’s happening.

And yes, I bought a digital PS5, which is why I come off as bitter about it.

Last edited:

Duchess

I don't think MS will ever release a game that is only on GamePass. I could perhaps see them debuting a game on GamePass, for about 1-2 weeks ahead of the purchasable date. Otherwise, no.

SSfox

Pretty sure Phil has said in past interviews that there wont be any 'Gamepass exclusive' games.
Now that could change in the future if they get to 100mil subs or something, but it wont be happening any time soon.

Microsoft has said all their future games will be available for purchase on Steam.

Pretty sure Phil has said in past interviews that there wont be any 'Gamepass exclusive' games.
Now that could change in the future if they get to 100mil subs or something, but it wont be happening any time soon.
Buster Keaton The Blacksmith GIF by Maudit

Hermen Hulst salso aid that Horizon will be the only PlayStation exclusive that will come to PC.

Hawke502

It makes no sense. Why would Microsoft want your only option be to subscribe to a 10$ service to play a game an then unsubscrive once you're done instead of giving you the possibility of buying said game for 60$?

Duchess

It makes no sense. Why would Microsoft want your only option be to subscribe to a 10$ service to play a game an then unsubscrive once you're done instead of giving you the possibility of buying said game for 60$?
Well, remember they bought Bethesda to stop PlayStation owners from getting to play Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout ...

(Apparently)

Hawke502

Well, remember they bought Bethesda to stop PlayStation owners from getting to play Starfield, Elder Scrolls, and Fallout ...

(Apparently)
If they hadn't bought bethesda, somebody else would, im sure it was better for them to secure these big titles and expand their studios.

Kuranghi

Since i have no Xbox, I definitely wouldn't buy an MS game thats only available on the MS Store, imagine day one it has some issue that requires file editing, you just can't do that so you'd be fucked. The amount of games that are frametime-fucked out of the box is staggering so I just wouldn't buy the game in that case, unless I can guarantee it has no issues that I'd need to fix myself.

For instance Deaths Door on Steam had more than a few people complaining of heavy stuttering since launch and its almost certainly down to Windows DWM pish taking control of the window combined with Unity Engines awful forced borderless fullscreen. If I couldn't have fixed that I wouldn't be playing it right now, you can have stuttering in a game like that, or most any genre for that matter.

Like if Forza Horizon 5 launches with that sort of problem (I've not seen anyone mention that about FH4 so not worried about it just as an example) that renders it unplayable for me, a racing game needs smooth motion not just to be fun to play but to not cause motion sickness if its really bad.

Come on MS, just put GP on Steam ffs.

JoeBudden

If console exclusives directly influence console sales, why wouldn't exclusives on GP influence GP subs? There's MS's reason right there.

GP needs subscriptions to not only be successful, but to maintain itself, and exclusives for Game Pass would create more incentive to subscribe.

I don't see this happening any time soon, and it would kinda go against MS's core beliefs lately; however, this is something that makes perfect business sense.

Top Bottom