• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass is a really mediocre deal

jayj

Banned
I mean I have had this thing for about two years now and I feel like I hardly get any use out of it. The retro gaming is whatever, only platform that means anything on it is N64 and they have such a slow drip feed of games that it's not even worthwhile IMO. I mean over the past year I think they only released 3 games on that app since I used it almost a year ago, and considering how these are for the most part rom dumbs with minimal work that just seems ridiculous to me, and they are still missing a ton of games that I would consider essential. The rest of the platforms are so easily emulated these days that I don't even see a reason for caring about the apps anymore, heck there's even the micro-consoles for them that are a lot better. I guess all that remains is a couple of rentals on some DLC packs and that's about it.

I mean yeah it's cheaper than Gamepass and PS+, but I think those services can actually justify their added expense with all of the games they regularly drop, which are usually current to their platforms as well. With my NSO expansion ending soon, I doubt I am going to bother with a renewal.

Sleepwalker

If you have a phone or a steam deck NSO's extra games added are a meme.

Considering they know how much their games are emulated you'd think they'd try more to offer a service you actually can't get on other platforms.
Its such a bullshit move to put them behind a sub service with drip feed when you could just buy them on 3ds/wii u. Nintendo are a meme when it comes to services but fanboys gonna fanboy

Banjo64

cumsessed
I like it, but it’s £25 in the UK from Shopto and CD Keys which makes it a fraction of the other sub services.

It’s got most of the N64 games I care about, and all of the Zelda and Mario games.

Would always prefer free online but this is better for me than a £60 a year subscription with games that I’ll never play.

If you like Nintendo games, it's worth it. If not.. same applies to the other subs as well. Personally, I see little to no value in PS+, but that's just a personal preference issue on my part. I value classic, retro games more than I do most of the fodder put in the other subs. That's not to say I think they're all bad, but most of the games they offer are just modern stuff that I don't care for, or already own.

jayj

Banned
Vote with your wallet people, if the product is not popular then they’ll have to try harder.
Sadly I have lost faith in that really working with standards. That seems to be the biggest problem with gaming having gone so mainstream, there's no shortage of suckers.

Darko

Yea If you paid full price for it.. I got in on a family one that was cheaper than a regular sub. I don’t use the emulators because I don’t like the text on the screen at all times. I do like the Mario expansion though

Yea If you paid full price for it.. I got in on a family one that was cheaper than a regular sub. I don’t use the emulators because I don’t like the text on the screen at all times. I do like the Mario expansion though
Same. Up to 8 friends and family for $85. That's like $10 each for a year.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like the base tier and playing NES and SNES games online with friends. It's pretty awesome. Also worth the $20 per year to be able to play Mario Kart online.

The expansion tier isn't as great. They need more games for the other systems.

Mozza

I mean I have had this thing for about two years now and I feel like I hardly get any use out of it. The retro gaming is whatever, only platform that means anything on it is N64 and they have such a slow drip feed of games that it's not even worthwhile IMO. I mean over the past year I think they only released 3 games on that app since I used it almost a year ago, and considering how these are for the most part rom dumbs with minimal work that just seems ridiculous to me, and they are still missing a ton of games that I would consider essential. The rest of the platforms are so easily emulated these days that I don't even see a reason for caring about the apps anymore, heck there's even the micro-consoles for them that are a lot better. I guess all that remains is a couple of rentals on some DLC packs and that's about it.

I mean yeah it's cheaper than Gamepass and PS+, but I think those services can actually justify their added expense with all of the games they regularly drop, which are usually current to their platforms as well. With my NSO expansion ending soon, I doubt I am going to bother with a renewal.
It's not even a $1 a day, more like 0.3 cents, not sure how this can be a bad deal, but I guess people are pretty cheap.

Mozza

The amount of money they are leaving on the table is ridiculous. Even if they charged 99p per nes game, 1.99 per snes game they’d make a killing.
Absolutely no evidence for what you just said, the virtual console service stopped with the Wii U, pretty sure Nintendo would have continued with it if they thought it made sense financially. The people pushing for this are the core gamers, who were the same ones complaining about having to buy the same games over and over, or additional game migration charges etc, I Know I was sick of it, and much prefer the new online system, as most of the masses will as well.

StereoVsn

I have the family version for kids to play Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc… plus cloud saves.

It’s unfortunate the above is needed. Kids do use some of the added expansion packs.

However for emulation I would much rather emulate in PC/Android where you can render at much higher res.

jayj

Banned
It's not even a $1 a day, more like 0.3 cents, not sure how this can be a bad deal, but I guess people are pretty cheap.
So? I think there's too many subscription services people hardly ever use, and this one seems like an easy one to get rid of. Just because something is relatively cheap doesn't mean it's good to keep buying it. I'm at the point where I'm like "why do I keep subscribing to this?"

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Pal, I think literally everyone but you knew that already since, what, 2010?

The only valid approach to this is use the family plan and divide the cost with others switch owners around your region.

-Zelda-

Banned
I still wish they would sell their classic games like they used to on the Wii and Wii U, rather than this rental service.

TexMex

Switch is my least used console by a mile, but I think NSO is better than competitor offerings. There's an insane amount of great classics to play on that thing and at 50 bucks for a year? I more than get the $4 a month they're asking out of it. It's no Virtual Console but it's pretty freakin great.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I like it, but it’s £25 in the UK from Shopto and CD Keys which makes it a fraction of the other sub services.

It’s got most of the N64 games I care about, and all of the Zelda and Mario games.

Would always prefer free online but this is better for me than a £60 a year subscription with games that I’ll never play.
Pretty much this. I have zero complaints about having the family expansion subscription.

Mozza

So? I think there's too many subscription services people hardly ever use, and this one seems like an easy one to get rid of. Just because something is relatively cheap doesn't mean it's good to keep buying it. I'm at the point where I'm like "why do I keep subscribing to this?"
Don't subscribe to it, vote with your wallet.... simple.

Mozza

Switch is my least used console by a mile, but I think NSO is better than competitor offerings. There's an insane amount of great classics to play on that thing and at 50 bucks for a year? I more than get the $4 a month they're asking out of it. It's no Virtual Console but it's pretty freakin great.
The Switch is my most used console, and I totally agree, the online service gives access to loads of games.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
play waverace couple times and abandon it to the gutters of streets I get the basic onefor FZERO 99

743263.jpg

farley-fat.gif

Mozza

play waverace couple times and abandon it to the gutters of streets I get the basic onefor FZERO 99

743263.jpg

farley-fat.gif
I like the fact you get some paid DLC included with the subscription, I would not have purchased the Animal crossing or Mario Kart 8 DLC, the latter because the quality of the tracks had nowhere near the care and attention of the original Wii U DLC, all those years ago.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly I haven't subscribed to PS+ and Nintendo online, none them justify the price and I don’t do Online gaming so it just useless for someone like me.

Yeah I agree it is pretty poor, I think it will be useful when switch 2 comes out though. Plus it's not that expensive so I tend to keep it around incase I want to play anything they put on there.

Top Bottom