• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass subscriptions miss Microsoft’s target

Ezquimacore

Banned
they only gonna see an increase if they start releasing actual xbox games, you know like... Halo, fable, hellblade, starfield and all those other games they announced to hype the console.

Klayzer

Turning Natalie Portman GIF by foxhorror

your mirror would like a few words with you
Lol. Ive never seen a poster lack more self awarness than that dude. Dude shitposts regularly, but has the gall to call somebody else a troll, unbelievable.

elliot5

they only gonna see an increase if they start releasing actual xbox games, you know like... Halo, fable, hellblade, starfield and all those other games they announced to hype the console.
But... they saw an increase without any of that.. 37% ... Just that 37% didn't hit the target goal.

Of course it will see a bigger increase with the heavy hitters

Ezquimacore

Banned
But... they saw an increase without any of that.. 37% ... Just that 37% didn't hit the target goal.

Of course it will see a bigger increase with the heavy hitters
So... you're agreeing with what I'm saying, they need the xbox games to increase subscribers...

Kagey K

Banned
So... you're agreeing with what I'm saying, they need the xbox games to increase subscribers...
Subscribers are steadily increasing as it is, seems like those big games will cause an influx of new subscribers, on top of the already increasing base.

Kagey K

Banned
You joke but what if 37% was already a lower revised estimate

Cringe Reaction GIF by Madelaine Petsch
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

They wanted 48, got 37.

What revised estimate would that be?

Or are you saying they revised it to 37 and got 37?

Those numbers have been closed and reported for 3 months now, they can’t alter them after the fact.

Last edited:
People are failing to notice that MS CEO's salary is tied to gamepass growth. Not Phil's but Satya's.

That's why they are putting so much effort in gamepass.

Satya must himself check subscriber numbers on daily basis like a stock market junkie.

Only good things ahead for service in future.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The 37% growth was already achieved by giving away milions of subs for free and 1$ Xbox Gold conversion deals! So it's underwhelming
Why in subscription number threads is it always free, but when talking about games coming to Gamepass it’s 15.00/month?

I love to see the disconnect, usually by the same people depending on the context.

At what point have they saturated those free/dollar deals and people are subbing because they find value in it?

Last edited:
At the moment playstation just seem to be putting more money into advertising, playstation make youtube/tv ads(which are shown a lot more frequently then xboxs) with high production values, have playstation on soccer stadiums while xbox have spurts of gamepass adverts, mini fridges and a decent social media, they just need to ramp up the scale.

I dont get quite understand why they dont, they will spend billions on new studios but are skimpy on the marketing budget.
Yep and it's not like MS is hurting for cash; granted money isn't the only factor but companies like Sega were able to do some incredible marketing in their heyday on budgets that'd be considered shoestring by today's standards.

So I just think Microsoft doesn't have a desire to do more push for direct game advertising if they feel like they don't have to. But, if the numbers in this report and some of the ones others have brought up (like the Reddit link Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ mentioned about #s being at 20 million, at least as of June) are true, it wouldn't hurt to bring back more of that traditional marketing effort that's on a per-game basis and just tie GamePass into that as a QoL supplement/bonus on top, even if that ends up shifting traffic towards purchases over subscriptions (which depending on how one looks at it, could be preferable anyway since the majority of content in GP are legacy titles going by volume anyway).

Not surprising, 100-150 million console buyers are not active players. Games could be as free and accessible as internet shitposts and the user base would not be radically higher than it is now. The hobby is niche (in terms of cultural impact) by necessity. The mental energy, learning curve, and time investments are far too great to come anywhere close to the passive entertainment services (TV/Film/Music) they try to compare themselves to. Their best case total saturation point for active subscribers at any one time is probably around 30 million. They'd be unlikely to surpass that even if they had 150 million Series consoles in homes, in addition to countless PC's, and Game Streaming on toasters/refrigerators.
TF? Gaming's the biggest revenue and profit entertainment industry in the world, that's not what I'd call a niche hobby. Even in terms of cultural impact; GTA, Minecraft, Fortnite, COD, Mario, Pokemon etc. have as much and in some cases more cultural relevance/impact as the MCU, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead (well, pre-Season 8), and so on. So claiming gaming is a niche hobby objectively doesn't hold up whether looking at the numbers or the mainstream mindshare.

Also you're overestimating the amount of effort a lot of modern games take in order to be competent in them. It's not like the 16-bit days or I'd even say pre-Wii days where the average game lacked a lot of QoL features like auto-saves or assist systems, intuitive 3D cameras and controls, ample strategy guides and online help, accessibility options etc. Not to mention the general average difficulty being higher in those older games. Most of the big popular mainstream/casual games today have very simple controls, and games like DOTA, LoL, fighters etc. are niche in total player numbers when compared to the entirety of the gaming population (I'm including mobile gaming here too, obviously).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
its obviously growth which is great but something just isn’t propelling it the way they want. There seems to be no Xbox hardware outside of the series s in the market. I never see it. No updates of stock availability at all and pc gamepass just doesn’t cut it like the console version.

they need to improve pc gamepass or pay the money to get more consoles built. Maybe they are waiting for halo and forza, I dunno.

I can’t imagine what the losses must be on these boxes With current manufacturing costs but maybe they have done a poor job at locking in fabs Pricing or aomething

reksveks

Interesting that they also missed their Teams MAU by 10 percent.

For the stockholders, good news that commercial cloud revenue beat projections by around 20% or $10b and that's also including subscribers.

Also they downweighted the bonus attached to xbox, surface and LinkedIn and upped teams and cloud in fy21.

For smarter people, will we get fy22 targets anytime soon or just this time next year?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
its A shame we don’t have similar services to see how the growth trajectory’s is for those options.

how is ea or Ubisoft’s, PlayStation now fairing in comparison?

haveagood1

You joke but what if 37% was already a lower revised estimate

Cringe Reaction GIF by Madelaine Petsch
Xbox is doomed? I'm not sure what your getting at. Sure they missed their target but 37% growth is far from dreadful and that's with one of their staple franchises was delayed im sure they'll be fine.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

They wanted 48, got 37.

What revised estimate would that be?

Or are you saying they revised it to 37 and got 37?

Those numbers have been closed and reported for 3 months now, they can’t alter them after the fact.
Lol Y'all know what I meant what if 48% was the lower revised goal

Helghan

Based on those numbers they are still ahead of where they thought they would be 2 years ago.

86% growth and then 37% growth is bigger than 71% growth and then 48% growth.

People are failing to notice that MS CEO's salary is tied to gamepass growth. Not Phil's but Satya's.

That's why they are putting so much effort in gamepass.

Satya must himself check subscriber numbers on daily basis like a stock market junkie.

Only good things ahead for service in future.
TBF it's only 5% of his salary tied to GamePass growth. I think he could live with missing 5% considering how much money the other Microsoft divisions bring which constitute the remaining 95% :LOL:

That said, I agree about the future of the service looking good overall. There's some things they could change and improve (that I touched on earlier), and they may have to restructure some things, but while I'm willing to consider a possibility of some of the more radical bad scenarios some people are thinking up I don't personally see any of those actually transpiring at current.

We'd have to see consecutive target numbers being missed over a measured period of time before running wild with "that" kind of speculation. Which is something I hope doesn't happen.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
For me it was a great service until I relized it just makes me jump from one game to the other and that by sticking to one game like I used to I was cheaper off at the end of the day.

Will only sub the service to play day 1 Microsoft games in the future. Otherwise it's not worth it IMO.

reksveks

Well that would look good as a percentage!

thx

Thats very true. Its going to be a while till we get their next psnow numbers sadly. I haven't been able to do the napkin maths on the q1 growth but with YoY ps plus increase of 3% and increased ps network service revenue of 9.6%, we might be able to come out with a guess.

He is checking teams MAU and Azure usage alot more often. That's like 80% of his bonus/salary.

zedinen

And Nintendo will slash sales forecasts before the end of the year.

Demand has never been more volatile and unpredictable than during the pandemic.

Chukhopops

Lol Y'all know what I meant what if 48% was the lower revised goal
I don’t think that was the case because the 48% target was already assuming a higher net subscriber growth than previous FY.

Also I’m shocked by the number of people not understanding basic growth rates / percentages, confinement really impacted the quality of education it seems.

Edit: also keep in mind that PS+ subs only increased by 2.8% over the same period, there was a big post-confinement plateau after the huge confinement increase.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think Microsoft need to make it more appealing. I've said this before, but having third party games appear on the service months (sometimes over a year) after release, then after a time leave the service, isn't appealing to a lot of people.

If they want to increase subs, they need to ensure all third party games are on the service from day one, plus guarantee that the third party games NEVER leave the service. Do that and watch sub numbers sky rocket.

II_JumPeR_I

Imo the heavy 1st party games are missing. Games announced in 2020 are mia or MS announces more with pointless CGI Trailers and no release date.
They also need to get more 3rd partys onboard. Imagine if that Battlefield 2042 rumor turned out true with it beiing day 1 in gamepass.
The agressive MS needs to come back.

If they want to increase subs, they need to ensure all third party games are on the service from day one, plus guarantee that the third party games NEVER leave the service. Do that and watch sub numbers sky rocket.
So... just offer people all the games ever made forever for 15 bucks a month? Genius idea. Someone should tell Spencer...

Dr Bass

It’s not 37% growth people. Growth itself is up 37%. Holy 🐄 how is this being misunderstood.

Let me explain.

If they were at 18 million subs and actually had 37% growth over a year they would land at 24.6 million.

If they had 18 million subs but growth had been 1 million a year in the previous year and THAT number actually went up 37% (which is what actually happened) they would have grown by 1.37 million for a total of 19.37 million. This is almost the exact total number speculated, meaning total growth is actually a smallish number. Even if it goes to 100% growth that will only be 3 million subs over a year. To hit 23 million. It’s going to need to hlike 1000% increase in growth to hit this 50 million in two years that some here are speculating.

At the current rate it won’t hit 30 million by the end of this gen. A large uptick in subs needs to happen and there can’t be a lot of churn.

That is the reality of the currently released numbers and percentages.

Imo the heavy 1st party games are missing. Games announced in 2020 are mia or MS announces more with pointless CGI Trailers and no release date.
They also need to get more 3rd partys onboard. Imagine if that Battlefield 2042 rumor turned out true with it beiing day 1 in gamepass.
The agressive MS needs to come back.

I think sales of Series consoles is also tied to gamepass subscriber growth.

Can't imagine anyone getting a new system and not getting subscription.

Content is pretty solid on gamepass.

They need to manufacture more systems and improve GP PC to offer good, consistent user experience.

It’s not 37% growth people. Growth itself is up 37%. Holy 🐄 how is this being misunderstood.

Let me explain.

If they were at 18 million subs and actually had 37% growth over a year they would land at 24.6 million.

If they had 18 million subs but growth had been 1 million a year in the previous year and THAT number actually went up 37% (which is what actually happened) they would have grown by 1.37 million for a total of 19.37 million. This is almost the exact total number speculated, meaning total growth is actually a smallish number. Even if it goes to 100% growth that will only be 3 million subs over a year. To hit 23 million. It’s going to need to hlike 1000% increase in growth to hit this 50 million in two years that some here are speculating.

At the current rate it won’t hit 30 million by the end of this gen. A large uptick in subs needs to happen and there can’t be a lot of churn.

How did you came up with 1 million figure for growth?

Is it reported or a guess?

reksveks

If they had 18 million subs but growth had been 1 million a year in the previous year and THAT number actually went up 37% (which is what actually happened) they would have grown by 1.37 million for a total of 19.37 million.

I am not sure it is the % increase of the previous years growth as you are effectively saying.

AAOtXPJ.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Let me explain.

I havent check user count, so all I know is the 37% YOY rate.

So what's the real estimated user count? +37% compared to what last year user count used? Is it 18M + 37%? Or a different number + 37%?

Chukhopops

Let me explain.

What you wrote is entirely wrong. The growth is in actual subscriber numbers year on year, it’s written exactly like that in the report. Just have a look and you’ll see.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So... just offer people all the games ever made forever for 15 bucks a month? Genius idea. Someone should tell Spencer...

Yeah. However, it couldn't be for the same cost. For that kind of service they would need to increase the cost, but it would be worth it considering you'd have access to every game, plus with the added bonus that it would never leave the service.

Let me explain.

Entirely and utterly wrong.

draliko

I always forget how many CEO, big investors, economics geniuses and market expert post on neogaf on their free time... i mean if all the ceos are here, who's running that companies???

Top Bottom