• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

xbox golf games: tiger woods vs. links

Joe

lets forget about outlaw golf.

ive recently been playing tiger woods 2003 at a friends on ps2 and man this game is awesome. a lot of what makes it great is the controls and im wondering how the controls play out on the xbox version with the S controller. also i would like to see how it compares to links. links has online which is a big plus for me but if it plays like crap there's no use.

so fill me in on what you know.

hgplayer1

Links with an advanced character has been the most satisfying golf game experience Ive ever had. I love the courses and the look and sound for the most part is perfect.

Ive never played Tiger Woods but I cant see how it could be much better.

bjork

Tiger Woods has an pretty insane character customization... my dad has it, and he made himself as a player, and it's dead on. Almost spooky.

Game itself has weird stuff, like being able to change the ball's spin in midair. That's about all I know.

I have Links, but I only played like three rounds so far. It seems cool.

I'd say that this year, Links is the choice because of online play.

I thought Links 2004 was really bland. The Tiger Woods games are much better--- and I think the next installment will be hitting XBox Live. Too bad it doesn't come out until 9/20 according to EBGames.

The price on Links 2004 is pretty cheap on eBay right now (mine sold for $16 recently), so you should be able to get it for under $20 shipped if you play your cards right. (I still thought it was a decent Live game)

SvelteBoy

Both are great games but I personally enjoyed Links 2004 over Tiger Woods 2004. I don't even play Links online either, just multiplayer with friends.

----

Banned
I just saw a Judgment Day that did a Versus between Links and Tiger Woods. Both Tommy and Vic picked Tiger Woods.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (PS2)
Tommy = 9.0 / Vic = 9.5
+ Tons Of Depth

Links (Xbox)
Tommy = 8.0 / Vic = 8.0
+ Easy, Fun, Online Game

They didn't like the commentary or create a player features in Links. They said that Tiger Woods was much better in both areas. They said the customization in Tiger Woods was the best they've ever seen in any game and that it is very easy to create a player that looks identical to yourself. They also thought the visuals were better in Tiger, but the audio was better in Links. They seemed to like Tiger Woods gameplay better. Tommy did not like having to pay for DLC in Links.

Links 2004 is amazing fun, and amazingly good on Xbox Live... quick games using "stroke-quick play" are highly addictive..

they have 1 free course for download, and 2 pay courses at $4.99, I got Links for $30 so I had no problem paying for the 2 courses, and they are good.. kapalua is great and definite $5 should be ponied up.. the gallery is good, but only if i was a hardcore links 2004 player would I pay the $5, as its not widely used online, nor is it amazing.

they announced no more downloadable courses, as they will be putting teh courses they were working on in the next version, which is unknown release date and system.. maybe a links 2005 or 6 on xbox? or links 2006 on xbox2?

Fifty

---- said:
I just saw a Judgment Day that did a Versus between Links and Tiger Woods. Both Tommy and Vic picked Tiger Woods.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 (PS2)
Tommy = 9.0 / Vic = 9.5
+ Tons Of Depth

Links (Xbox)
Tommy = 8.0 / Vic = 8.0
+ Easy, Fun, Online Game

They didn't like the commentary or create a player features in Links. They said that Tiger Woods was much better in both areas. They said the customization in Tiger Woods was the best they've ever seen in any game and that it is very easy to create a player that looks identical to yourself. They also thought the visuals were better in Tiger, but the audio was better in Links. They seemed to like Tiger Woods gameplay better. Tommy did not like having to pay for DLC in Links.

Are you Tommy Talarico? I've never heard anyone state his opinion in any context other than "This douchebag thinks......."

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's a hard choice. Especially once Tiger is online (I'll probably go with that). Tiger feels slightly more arcade with ball-spin and what not. It's also true that the huge amount of unlockables and customization with Tiger is really addicting. Links is surprisingly good though. It plays a wonderful game and I'm hard pressed to believe it looks worse than Tiger. Links looks amazing. I think Tiger is much easier. The controls are better on the PS2 IMO, because on Xbox it makes you use the black/white buttons.

Hot Shots 4 is my next golf game though.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
visuals tighter in TW? LMAO

links2004_screen001.jpg

vs

tiger_screen011.jpg

Tiger is the better game, no doubt, its more fun, its more customisable, but when it comes to actually playing a round of golf, Links offers the better experience (and customisable soundtracks really comes into its own)

B'z-chan

Banned
LINKS for me but as a Xbox gamer its mainly for the XBL. But its just so much fun to play where as i was done with Tiger 04 in less than a week.

bjork

Oh yeah, Tiger Woods has that YALL GON MAKE ME LOSE MY MIND UP IN HEAH HUP IN HEAH song, which fits so well with a game like golf.

Again, Links.

Top Bottom