• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox introduces new strike system to curtail bad behavior

Interfectum

Eight strikes.

EIGHT?

Some can be an absolute toxic asshole for up to eight times with no repercussions? Even after that, it’s merely a one-year voice chat mute?
If I'm reading the chart right some infractions cost more than one strike so it's not really eight times.

And +3 for "hate speech." LOL can't wait for the blue and purple haired mods to shadow ban a ton of kids for misgendering.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
In the end, after about a decade, I opened a new account and started over.
phil-spencer.gif

KillaJamm

Honestly xbox's community standards are a joke, a player once purposely brake checked me on F1 2021 so broke my front wing and couldn't overtake him. I messaged him calling him a idiot for cheating, and they banned ME for a week. Couldn't even dispute it either.

Last edited:
Today, a new strike-based enforcement program is coming to Xbox. The system is meant to clear up confusion regarding how Xbox enforces its community standards and help players keep track of enforcement actions made on their accounts.

In an interview with The Verge, Xbox player services corporate vice president Dave McCarthy explained the new enforcement system and its place in Xbox’s overall community management strategy. “This is all about player transparency,” McCarthy said. “We didn’t have a way to show our players what their standing was in our community. And this makes it completely clear.”

Great. Transparency in platform moderation is always welcome.

Xbox won’t be publishing a list of infractions and their corresponding number of strikes, but the blog announcing the new program will include a graphic that will give players an idea of how the number of strikes scales with escalating behavior. You can see the graphic here.

Wait... wut?!

I thought this was about transparency and making things absolutely clear.

From the graphic, players can see that profanity is one strike, hate speech nets three, and so forth. The visual also explains how appeals work with the strike system and that strikes decay.

Who defines what constitutes hate speech?

Killer8

So is there any sort of cumulative penalty behind the scenes or is it as simple as you can be as naughty as you like as long as it's once every 6 months?

RagnarokIV

Looking at the chart, it takes a lot of effort to get up to the 8 strikes! If they're in that deep they probably deserve more than a year ban.

Drew1440

It's not that bad, not like Microsoft will report you to your employer and try to get you fired. Let's hope you don't have a LinkedIn account.

It probably stems from a combination of puritan, god fearing US FCC (they made hip hop completely unlistenable on the radio with all the trash censorship) and the idea that "video games are for children", video games where you violently kill people in all sorts of ways and where the characters themselves will talk shit.
Actually a good thing, do you really need to listen to songs from female rappers rapping about their cat on the radio?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Actually a good thing, do you really need to listen to songs from female rappers rapping about their cat on the radio?
...the fuck are you on about? There's 50 years of hip-hop getting completely mauled by the soft ass FCC censorship; we're not talking about the same thing, fucking weird that's the first place your mind went though.

YCoCg

Surely this must affect a low amount of people now? Nobody I know uses public chat anymore, everyone just jumps onto Discord or something else.

Are they aware that they just bought Overwatch, the most toxic multiplayer game in the current year?
You must have missed Blizzard's top hits of blunders this summer. Overwatch playerbase numbers are on a downward slope due to an undelivered product and OW league has shrunken immensely with a gutted budget.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Thanks for the feedback. The enforcement system is designed to empower players
The enforcement system is designed to empower players
designed to empower players
empower players
power play
Kevin Hart GIF by PeacockTV

Good luck, they never have and never will work. Humans love power, and ideological and tribal driven humans at constant competition online, will be empowered.

Last edited:

Markio128

I remember on PS3 you could put a comment under your username and me and a mate used to try and outdo each other. My personal favourite was ’fissplaps’

killatopak

Another reason I buy physical. It’s so easy for them to take away your games you spent money on. I doubt I would ever get banned nowadays as I’m more mature and understanding of international social climate but I won’t gamble it when people get banned for decade old tweets. I have accounts when I wasn’t even an adult and the internet was a wild wild west where you could say anything. Even stuff that was normal to say in my native language today can be misconstrued to something worse.

Last edited:
I'd rather be chased off of the internet by a mass of people calling me a "big gayboy" than let people with power tell me what I can say

I miss the wild west internet in the 00s where we could log on to newgrounds dot com and watch a crudely animated video of bulma getting fucked by vegeta while other children abused us in our favourite video game; Let us please return to those days

Porticus

I'd rather be chased off of the internet by a mass of people calling me a "big gayboy" than let people with power tell me what I can say

I miss the wild west internet in the 00s where we could log on to newgrounds dot com and watch a crudely animated video of bulma getting fucked by vegeta while other children abused us in our favourite video game; Let us please return to those days
But then you wouldn't feel empowered like Spencer says.

MiguelItUp

Considering this doesn't affect me, it doesn't really seem to bother me either. It's their platform, they can do whatever they want with it. I'm sure a ton of folks are going to get wrongfully struck though. Surely. That'll be a huge issue.

I have never had issues with "trash talking", but there was definitely a point where it just became screaming racial slurs, derogatory terms, etc. I remember it got to a point where when I'd play public games on 360 I'd plug my headset in and put it on the ground. Just because I couldn't stand to hear children and "adults" throwing temper tantrums when I'm trying to hear/play the game, lmao. It happened so often that I stopped using VOIP. Especially after I began to hear stuff like that in games that had teams, and the team players would be screaming at each other, lol. Rather than trying to play the game, help one another ,etc.

Nowadays I'm kind of in the same boat as it can really affect the gameplay experience when a bunch of people are throwing fits and screaming at one another.

Its fine as long as there as a way to weed out frivolous complaints. Otherwise, some losers will surely abuse it.
Exactly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Play nice children.
We don't want any bad behavior right? [grabs a belt].

my 360 is banned since like 2008... I played halo 3 week before release. no matter all my games, purchases and library. Fuck me I guess.
That console is still banned to this day. not my account. MY CONSOLE is banned from ever again joining xbox servers. Even to download patches.
Xbox can fuck right off.

edit: That's one of the reasons I am unsure about digital gaming. To have my account/console and therefore my library banned or limited because I did something that doesn't align with rules today? nah. thanks.

Last edited:

simpatico

Finally, the feature gamers have been wanting more than anything. This will turn the tide of the console war. Of this I have no doubt.

Xbox has such a good play to become the non woke home for gamers. They just refuse to take that money. I think it would get a big response if they went all in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom