• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox introduces new strike system to curtail bad behavior

Portugeezer

The account itself got banned, and your purchases are tied to your account. So - no logging into a console or the web, no redownloading games, no ability to purchase new games. If I try to sign in to a new console with my old account, it acts similarly to having a bad password - literally prevented from signing in.

When it first happened, it was essentially like my console was in "offline" mode. I was able to play the games I had purchased (that were currently downloaded) for about a month before they stopped working and needed to be "re-authenticated" (which I couldn't do).
ICc5ILm.jpg

GU8GsD4.jpg

Last edited:

Chronicle

Yeah hut it's just dominated by unruly zit faced teens that gang up on people. Then they complain about you. Those systems are brutal and don't work.

DaGwaphics

1% of players have ever had any action taken at all on XBL.
Im going to guess the stat is similar for Playstation as well.
Both Sony and MS introduced recording voice chat when submitting reports so the policies are nigh literally exactly the same.

As for only hearing about XBL bans.......thats just weird cuz I hear equal numbers of XBL and PSN bans for people doing shitty things.
And ive been on XBL since the OGX and PSN since ~2007.

P.S During the peak of Call of Duty 4 pretty much everyone on Xbox 360 had a mic (cuz it came free) and lobbies were open mic with no party chat, XBL was the most golden trash heap of gamers you could gather, so maybe thats why youve heard of more XBL bans than PSN.

Looks like a strong contingent of that tiny minority are Gaf posters, LOL.

These type of systems are such a waste of time. Actually would rather they not be in place as I'm sure a ton of salty players who just lost in a game will report people.

If you are truly getting "cyber bullied" just mute or block the person. It ain't that hard

DaGwaphics

These type of systems are such a waste of time. Actually would rather they not be in place as I'm sure a ton of salty players who just lost in a game will report people.

If you are truly getting "cyber bullied" just mute or block the person. It ain't that hard

That's why they've instituted the ability to capture the chat, reports that aren't substantiated will likely be ignored. That in itself eliminates the "grief" reporting aspect of it, only users that typed or said something out of line with the policies would have issues - players really can't lie about other users.

I remember getting some bs warning or whatever on the 360 for telling someone I hope you get malaria mother fucker
My 8 year old got banned for a week or two for sending one of the other kids he played online with a voice message that said "I'm going to kill you dead next time I see you", meaning he was going to beat him on Fortnite next time they played.

Dorago

Why even bother with this bullshit? Just like real life criminals can do whatever they want while regular paying customers have to follow an
Increasingly draconian set of laws. At least with Xbox or any other online bs you can just not do it.

Look, MS has to implement these things.
They can't have clowns running around and abusing everyone.
I heard a story about some guy playing a multiplayer game who using a gun shot the n word on the side of a building and everyone playing the game saw this big slur on the wall as they went past it.
Don't remember what the game was, but I remember the story.

SHA

I heard a story about some guy playing a multiplayer game who using a gun shot the n word on the side of a building and everyone playing the game saw this big slur on the wall as they went past it.
Kids comes with pre installed behavior, it's in their genetics, they don't play games , they play with anonymous identity"at least that's how they think" to say whatever they want, it's their conditional free medium to say and do what they wish saying in the real world but couldn't do.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why?

You heard a story of this type of behaviour? So you’ve not even witnessed it first hand? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In over 15 years of online gaming on my Xbox I’ve had about 1 actually hateful interaction (someone called me the F word after a game of PES). And because of these one in a thousand interactions Microsoft think they can be your judge jury and executioner after you’ve spent hundreds or thousands of pounds in their ecosystem?

DaGwaphics

Why?

You heard a story of this type of behaviour? So you’ve not even witnessed it first hand? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

In over 15 years of online gaming on my Xbox I’ve had about 1 actually hateful interaction (someone called me the F word after a game of PES). And because of these one in a thousand interactions Microsoft think they can be your judge jury and executioner after you’ve spent hundreds or thousands of pounds in their ecosystem?

I hate to break it to you but these companies (all of them) are and always will be the judge, jury, and executioner of their private platforms. And they've always had policies to deal with people who were disrupting the community (in reality because they are potentially costing the company $ in profits). Before there was little to no transparency, now they allow the user to see what is happening and shift behaviors as needed to protect their accounts.

The 99% of users who aren't problematic will have no issue with this change, because it does not effect them in any way. The 1% that are troublemakers can at least see how much room they have left and be aware of what type of violations their account is getting.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I hate to break it to you but these companies (all of them) are and always will be the judge, jury, and executioner of their private platforms.
Don’t worry, you aren’t breaking anything to me.

Before there was little to no transparency, now they allow the user to see what is happening and shift behaviors as needed to protect their accounts.
In what way is there transparency? See below ‘reason for ban - violating community standards’ wow, how transparent.

The 99% of users who aren't problematic will have no issue with this change, because it does not effect them in any way. The 1% that are troublemakers can at least see how much room they have left and be aware of what type of violations their account is getting.
Like this guy, a few posts above yours, with 2 million gamerscore, getting suspended over an 8 year old screenshot?

Last edited:
Why there isn’t some kind of opt in/out with this crap is beyond me.

Reading into this, most of the criteria for these strikes are completely subjective. This makes the system worthless in my view. I mean, what specifically constitutes ’hate’ speech? Even harassment is subjective depending on the sensitivity of the individuals involved.

Systems like this will end up weaponized and abused.

DaGwaphics

In what way is there transparency? See below ‘reason for ban - violating community standards’ wow, how transparent.

With the new system you'll see a ban coming before hand (it'll take multiple violations to reach a ban). Since these strikes expire after 6 months, it will take a certain kind of user to get banned in the first place.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

What a load of shit. My screenshots are my screenshots. And that game is sold for Xbox so why I can’t have a screenshot of it.

My 360 is permanently banned. They bricked my console in 2010 or so over some halo game that I played before release few days. Permanent ban. That’s why I hate digital

Banjo64

cumsessed
With the new system you'll see a ban coming before hand (it'll take multiple violations to reach a ban). Since these strikes expire after 6 months, it will take a certain kind of user to get banned in the first place.
So why has that user above been banned for 2 days for an 8 year old screen shot with no explanation?

DaGwaphics

So why has that user above been banned for 2 days for an 8 year old screen shot with no explanation?

The new system does do temporary short-term bans I think, that will happen every time you get a strike. Better than having hidden demerits on the back-end that build to a permaban while the user is completely unaware.

I don't really think screenshots should qualify for disciplinary action unless the user has gone out of there way to create something to offend. Better answer there is just to shadow ban the screenshot so that only the user can see it.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Quite a shitshow, that guy had his name on a plaque at the Microsoft Theatre in LA and was gifted a liftime Gold subscription that they bumped up to Gamepass. If they're prepared to ban people they're actively celebrating, nobody's safe.

nbc GIF by The Blacklist

DaGwaphics

Pretty vanilla stuff. Dude is just famous in the Xbox gaming community.

Maybe there was a different picture at some point. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Certainly a lot of complaints would get thrown away, I'm sure they are aware of users that abuse the report functionality also. There's a reason why 99% of accounts never have any action taken against them afterall, sometimes people aren't as innocent as they play it when something goes bad either.

mitch1971

Imagine paying MS to have your speech restricted.

So about 10 people possibly could of seen it out of billions of gamers.

Last edited:

Kilau

Maybe there was a different picture at some point. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Certainly a lot of complaints would get thrown away, I'm sure they are aware of users that abuse the report functionality also. There's a reason why 99% of accounts never have any action taken against them afterall, sometimes people aren't as innocent as they play it when something goes bad either.
Not really sure why you are defending a clearly flawed system. You are missing or ignoring this point.

The violation was either brought to our attention by complaints from other players or discovered in the course of moderating the Xbox service. Members of the Xbox team have reviewed evidence of the violation and appropriate consequences.
Supposedly real live people reviewed the violation and thought he should be banned over, it won’t take long to reach a 1 year ban if the threshold is a freaking screen shot. Again, this isn’t me or some other rando, this dude is known in the community and by Xbox themselves and it happened to him right off the bat. Bad system is bad.

DaGwaphics

Not really sure why you are defending a clearly flawed system. You are missing or ignoring this point.

Supposedly real live people reviewed the violation and thought he should be banned over, it won’t take long to reach a 1 year ban if the threshold is a freaking screen shot. Again, this isn’t me or some other rando, this dude is known in the community and by Xbox themselves and it happened to him right off the bat. Bad system is bad.

I think you are missing the fact that the criteria for what constitutes a violation hasn't changed, just the way they are communicating the information to the player. All of these systems have a process for this same kind of thing (just do a search for PSN bans) sometimes it might be happening completely in the background and/or like the new Xbox system they may be bringing it forward where it is visible.

Not really voting one way or the other regarding this users screenshot as I haven't seen it. I do agree that basic screenshots from games sold on the store shouldn't be a cause of concern (age restrict to the same level as the game if needed), but there are some situations where users have some input into what is on screen (text, sometimes images, etc.) and if a user was trying to offend they certainly could.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I've done some research about the situation on the PS side, and it is about the same ?

I've seen many threads about people getting banned for racist insults (which are obviously unacceptable) and losing access to ALL their games.
People getting hacked (by FIFA FUT points whatever it is) and then owing thousands of euros/dollars to Sony who refuses to give back access to the account and all the games owned.

And in fact the problem seem to be that, when you buy a digital game, you don't buy the game, you don't own the game, but you buy a licence that grants you the access to the game. If you do something that's against Sony terms of use, you'll get banned (can be a permanent ban) and all your licences are taken back from you.

So, all that sucks, whatever it's from Sony, MS, or even Steam for exemple (even thought getting back the access to "your games" on PC might be easier than current gen consoles huh).

Kilau

I think you are missing the fact that the criteria for what constitutes a violation hasn't changed, just the way they are communicating the information to the player. All of these systems have a process for this same kind of thing (just do a search for PSN bans) sometimes it might be happening completely in the background and/or like the new Xbox system they may be bringing it forward where it is visible.

Not really voting one way or the other regarding this users screenshot as I haven't seen it. I do agree that basic screenshots from games sold on the store shouldn't be a cause of concern (age restrict to the same level as the game if needed), but there are some situations where users have some input into what is on screen (text, sometimes images, etc.) and if a user was trying to offend they certainly could.
It’s not about the criteria for a violation. It’s the new strike system that results in instant bans that compound on each other. This guy in particular wasn’t getting banned over screenshots before, even if they were deemed a violation, but now he is.

DaGwaphics

It’s not about the criteria for a violation. It’s the new strike system that results in instant bans that compound on each other. This guy in particular wasn’t getting banned over screenshots before, even if they were deemed a violation, but now he is.

If it was deemed a violation before it would have been marked against his account, working towards a much longer ban. The difference is that before he was unaware of it and now he can monitor his "strikes" because he knows that they are there. Before there is a chance that maybe he uploads 10 similar screenshots because he doesn't realize that the offending shot was removed, resulting in a long-term ban.

Kilau

If it was deemed a violation before it would have been marked against his account, working towards a much longer ban. The difference is that before he was unaware of it and now he can monitor his "strikes" because he knows that they are there. Before there is a chance that maybe he uploads 10 similar screenshots because he doesn't realize that the offending shot was removed, resulting in a long-term ban.
Or it wasn’t a bannable offense before but now that it incurs a strike it is.

Bodom78

Bloody American censorship and pushing of their values and mentally insane ideals on others is becoming if not worse then China.

Why?

You and I may well be reasonable people. I don't go around calling people racial slurs, or calling them fags etc. I'm not a dick. I'm not an immature 12 year old, so none of these things Xbox has implemented will ever be used against me.
I assume you are the same.

Why do they need to do it?
They don't want a hostile environment for people to play games in.
While I'm an adult, and could not give two fucks if someone called me a slur, and I wouldn't report them for doing so, I have a 12 year old who plays online, and he has joined up in groups for those games. I was watching him play, and he introduced himself to the other team mates, and one guy goes "how the fuck did we end up with some stupid fucking kid?. Just don't get in my way"

As they were playing one of the guys asks him if he has jerked off yet, and they all started laughing at him.

I told him to turn off the game, and he was a little shook.
I didn't report them to xbox as I don't raise no snitches.
But that type of shit should not stand.

Top Bottom