• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox introduces new strike system to curtail bad behavior

Kilau

they should call them “woke strikes”
It's sad in their own example graphic they show a moderator reviewed the reported message and deemed it "hate speech" only to then have it overturned on an appeal. That's one of the problems with "hate speech", it can be redefined person to person because it's not a real thing.

TQaKmlj.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Paid consoles, paid games, paid online, and people think less than 8 bad words should lead to a year ban? That seems completely nuts in my view.
Xbox was always like this. Look at my post on last page. They used to ban consoles. They own your stuff and control how you use it and what you say. They are the devils 🐸👺💀

Last edited:

simpatico

Don't worry, if you talk about all the disabled and prideful sex you want to have or been having, you'll be okay. Might even get a profile VIP badge if children are present.
My boyfriend ran over my fingers with their wheelchair during sex. That's why I'm playing so poorly tonight folks.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Phil's really going out of his way to make Xbox the most unattractive place to play video games.

Price increases, a focus on cloud and subscriptions, and now a social credit system.

Just fuck off. Take all of it, and go fuck yourself. What a horrendous shitshow Xbox has become.

Raonak

Banned
Public voice chat is primary filled with a bunch of teenage racist shitbags.
Why would anyone actually want to listen to that trash? everybody evacuated to discord to avoid that.
Maybe with this move they'll make public chat more bearable.

But it's weird that cheating doesn't get a heavier consequence.

Last edited:

Facism

remembering that time my bro got a 72 hour ban from Apex Legends because he typed "we died like dogs" after his squad got deleted from the round within .2 seconds of coming into contact with a bunch of predators. Ban upheld because it was considered "hate speech" or some such nonsense.

This stuff is doubly baffling when it's done in the shooty-bang games where your objective is to literally murder everyone else in the game.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Fuz

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Soo does that mean all voice chats are recorded or it’s just the honor system? Because I can see this being abused if the latter.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Soo does that mean all voice chats are recorded or it’s just the honor system? Because I can see this being abused if the latter.
You are a fool if you say something into a microphone that's connected to a device that's got access to the internet and think you aren't being recorded.

Unknown?

Do they know their audience? The dude bros who play COD and shooters will just leave the ecosystem after they're banned and that's the largest portion of their userbase.

Unknown?

Phil's really going out of his way to make Xbox the most unattractive place to play video games.

Price increases, a focus on cloud and subscriptions, and now a social credit system.

Just fuck off. Take all of it, and go fuck yourself. What a horrendous shitshow Xbox has become.
He took this plan straight from Xi Jing Ping and the CCP.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Do they know their audience? The dude bros who play COD and shooters will just leave the ecosystem after they're banned and that's the largest portion of their userbase.
CoD players leaving CoD behind......hahahaha NO!

Personally, I'm not sure if I prefer the wild days of the internet where anything goes or the current one where I can bait someone into getting their account banned.

Thinking about t now, its really ironic how Microsoft was the one to censor their gaming community when people tried to claim Sony was the one interfering with gamers freedom of speech...

Got You Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds good.

Since I have all my communications only open for friends, I'll get zero strikes. All the examples they showed are for people rambling for everyone to hear or read in a message.

Boss Mog

I've talked about this on GAF before, but the disc drive ID from my launch Xbox 360 was spoofed by a hacker and got added to their "bad console" database. When I signed in to that console the next day, my account was banned until 2999. I just now tried logging in, and I am still banned.

It took literally years for me to a) figure out what the hell had happened, and b) go through the legal channels to try and get satisfaction (hint: I never did). I had about $800 worth of content I had purchased on that account that was lost to the ether. My only consolation is that I'm sure I gave Microsoft's support and legal teams more than $800 worth of headache over the years.

In the end, after about a decade, I opened a new account and started over.
So the moral of the story is don't buy digital, got it :messenger_ok:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Personally, I think this is good. Though, to be honest, I'm never in public chat anyway so I'm not sure what the tone is like now.
I'd rather be chased off of the internet by a mass of people calling me a "big gayboy" than let people with power tell me what I can say
Bad news: this website fails your test.

Last edited:
profanity too? I have a potty mouth so would be banned within a few days. Im not renewing my Xbox live anyway and even if I did, no more voice comms.

This is how you drive people away from your service.

Black_Stride

??? They will if they get banned and they have no choice. Do you think they are going to wait it out a year?
They will make a new Xbox Live account.
Unless this is an IP/MAC ban and simply an account ban they will do what they have to do to get back in the game.

Black_Stride

Unless CoD becomes F2P, some will but most won't.
Warzone and DMZ are Call of Dutys most popular modes.
Both are free to play.

The main MP modes arent even rated highly due to SBMM and people not liking the Maps.
Ranked (comp) players generally are "serious" about their CoD and dont bitch or report each other.

So people assuming CoD is going to suddenly die because MS starts banning people using the strike system is ridiculous.
Literally laughable.
Cuz remember only about 1% of players ever even have enforcement being taken on them.
Even if MS lost 1% they would still be making an absolute killing with CoD.

Last edited:

nbcjr

So Microsoft is allowing hate speech for 2 and cheating for 7 times without repercussion?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So Microsoft is allowing hate speech for 2 and cheating for 7 times without repercussion?

Insta bans would be a bit extreme, no?

What most are missing here is this is not a policy change at all, these same principles have been applied all along only before it was not transparent to the user. This new level of transparency at least gives the user the ability to know more about how their account is ranking internally, allowing them to alter their behavior accordingly.

You should be able to say what you want to your friends without them reporting you, etc.

reinking

Gold Member
So people assuming CoD is going to suddenly die because MS starts banning people using the strike system is ridiculous.
I am not assuming CoD is going to die. I am assuming more people that get their Xbox accounts banned will move on to another ecosystem instead of sticking around. We can have a different opinion on that subject without trying to turn this into something that it is not.

Top Bottom