• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

PhatSaqs

Banned
When I go on vacation the router stays off (as do most of the other electrical appliances). If I bought an Xbone (which I won't) and the Internet is down when I come back, seems I have a nice brick.
Did you forget to turn your route back on?

kitch9

Banned
I own a PC. Can I sell my used games?

No but you can buy Saints Row the Third plus all its DLC today for £6.00.

How about Alan Wake for 5 quid.

You can even install them on as many machines as you like and play them on holiday when you have no internet.

You might want to check it out.

kitch9

Banned
This has probably been answered before but i would be thankful if someone answers me this:what happens if someone hacks MS and they have to shut down their servers like it happened with the PS3?
Will i be able to still play offline games?

No, if your box can't get its authentication key it'll switch your games off for your security.

THE:MILKMAN

I don't know if this right or fair but I thought of something that could blow this secondhand business out of the water.

I could be missing something really obvious though....

Microsoft charge for Live Gold £40/$60yr. Publishers fund developers to make games with multiplayer and then pay a fee to Microsoft (~$10-$15? per copy) to have it on 360.

So Microsoft are getting payed by consumers for largely P2P multiplayer that someone else made and who they charge a fee to.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why aren't publishers/developers up in arms about the "easy" money Microsoft are making just like GameStop and demanding a cut?

I haven't given this a great deal of thought, so shoot it down in flames and call me an idiot....I'll edit this post out of shame.

I don't see what the big deal is? even after 24 hours the Xbox one locks you out, you can still watch tv. can you watch tv on steam or PlayStation 4?

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Sony's PlayTV adaptor continue to work with PS4 or be updated for use with PS4. It's pretty great, I can watch live TV via my PS3 and use it as a DVR to record shows while I play games. Most people don't seem that aware of it though, probably because Sony recognised that switching the AV channel to watch TV isn't much of a hassle for most people, it's a niche level of interest.

BigDug13

I don't know if this right or fair but I thought of something that could blow this secondhand business out of the water.

Microsoft charge for Live Gold £40/$60yr. Publishers fund developers to make games with multiplayer and then pay a fee to Microsoft (~$10-$15? per copy) to have it on 360.

So Microsoft are getting payed by consumers for largely P2P multiplayer that someone else made and who they charge a fee to.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why aren't publishers/developers up in arms about the "easy" money Microsoft are making just like GameStop and demanding a cut?

I haven't given this a great deal of thought, so shoot it down in flames and call me an idiot....I'll edit this post out of shame.

Because, contrary to popular belief, publishers are not the ones holding the cards. Console makers are. They own the device that the publishers need in order to sell games. If a publisher boycotts, there are always other publishers that are more than happy to make money selling games while the options available to the boycotting publisher to get their games sold drops dramatically.

I mean Microsoft charges $40,000 for a company to release a patch. Even Indy developers. And they still do it. Because what choice do they have?

Tfault

Are people really so desperate for a game that they accept whatever Microsoft 'offers' them without question? Xbox One should not be acceptable in any way shape or form with the current policies. I know I will not be supporting Microsoft in its endeavours.

By the way this guy sums it up well for me, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APmJHu8DNs

Goldmund

Friends squabble, yes, but they're seldom up in arms against one another.

EDIT: As far as I know, Microsoft will be providing dedicated servers for Xbone games and dropping peer-to-peer.

Because, contrary to popular belief, publishers are not the ones holding the cards. Console makers are. They own the device that the publishers need in order to sell games. If a publisher boycotts, there are always other publishers that are more than happy to make money selling games.

I mean Microsoft charges $40,000 for a company to release a patch. Even Indy developers.

$40k? For a patch....damn. The money grabbing is unbelievable. I know its business but come on.

DemonNite

33% faster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aSs3tmExgQ

ibykJPR3DfMtU5.gif

Kotick did publicly complain:
"We don't really participate financially in that income stream. We would really like to be able to provide much more value to those millions of players playing on Live, but it's not our network."

Later that year, it seems something happened and they now enjoy a modest amount of the subscription fees:
Activision does enjoy a "very modest amount of the subscription fees," Kotick told us, but he's more interested in seeing any cost increase in the service go towards "directly benefitting the Call of Duty players."

EGM1966

I don't see what the big deal is? even after 24 hours the Xbox one locks you out, you can still watch tv. can you watch tv on steam or PlayStation 4?

I'm now lost between the mix of satire and defense flying around every XBone related thread at the minute. Time to go out and play in the sun for a while.

Will return later with fresh popcorn.

I think MS began giving a small cut of Live fees to the big publishers. I remember half way through this gen, Kotick and a couple of others were getting a bit vocal about it, then it went quiet.

sublimit

Banned
If the server outage is longer than 24 hours, I don't think so. But ... but ... you can still watch TV!

In all seriousness, they'd have to issue an update to patch out the online requirement (if possible at all with servers down). Anyway, that would disable every DRM and there's no way this is going to happen. If we have learnt one thing through all of this it's Microsoft takes a poop on its customers.

No, if your box can't get its authentication key it'll switch your games off for your security.

This sounds awful.Especially since with all its anti-consumer measures the XBone will be targeted by hackers from all over the world since day one.

Friends squabble, yes, but they're seldom up in arms against one another.

EDIT: As far as I know, Microsoft will be providing dedicated servers for Xbone games and dropping peer-to-peer.

Funny that! And yes I read about the xbone getting dedicated servers. But that is for the cloud enhancements I bet, not because MS loves gamers.

Kotick did publicly complain:

Later that year, it seems something happened and they now enjoy a modest amount of the subscription fees:

I think MS began giving a small cut of Live fees to the big publishers. I remember half way through this gen, Kotick and a couple of others were getting a bit vocal about it, then it went quiet.

Very interesting and explains a lot now. Microsoft want some money back! (from consumers of course)

I just want to emphasize the issue that some people seem to forget that consoles are closed platforms and PC is not.

Steam is far from being the only place where to get digital download games, and it's that competition that that drives prices down.

On consoles you only have Live, PSN and eShop. And while they do sometimes have some good sales, the general prices can hardly compare to what's happening on the PC.

Even the "not transmissible licence" argument is shady as well. EU laws already revoke this, and when the time comes when the European Commission needs a few extra hundred million euros you can expect some large fines, "Microsoft style".

Another issue entirely is that there are completely different expectations on how physical console games should work. And this is the issue that I believe will definitely not fly with consumers anywhere. Even if parents start buying the Xbone in droves, when they start to realize how the DRM works, there will be a lot of angry costumers knocking at Microsoft's door.

Saty

If MS wants to be extra evil they can make it so you will need a Xbox Live Gold account for the every 24-hours checks.

They raised the price of Gold.

In the US? It is still officially £40 here.

When I said explains a lot now I mean't with what Microsoft are doing with the One. Seems to me they looked after the big publishers after Acti got the hump.

Wouldn't surprise me if there is only mandatory payed Live for the One at this point.

$40k? For a patch....damn. The money grabbing is unbelievable. I know its business but come on.
It's a combination of the certification and validation process that MS has to do to make sure a patch can go up as well as a deterrent from constant patching. The first patch is free. I thought the figure was a bit lower though.

You regret selling your SNES collection but at least if you go searching you can go buy those games from private sellers. However if there's a game you want to play on XBox One ten years down the road who's to say you will still be able to play it?

That's the one thing that has me worried but since the games are still on the disc, I'm assuming Microsoft could release an update that would turn off the online check-in if they ever planned to discontinue the Xbox One servers. That's not gonna happen anytime soon though. I'm not gonna cry about something that may not even happen a decade from now.

I'm still trying to dissect how game licensing works so please forgive me if it's already been asked and answered.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

That part is pretty clear. The Xbox One with all of your games can be easily accessed by anyone on that system and it still needs to check-in every 24 hours.

Question, will those other people be allowed to sign in with their own profiles? I imagine the answer is yes but just want clarification.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Question, if I have a relative in another country they can access my entire library?

Question, will they need Xbox Live Gold?

Question, can we both play Forza at the same time?

Question, how will they know if it's a family member or just a friend?

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Seems pretty simple to understand.

Question, will this kill independent stores and will they be allowed to apply to be part of the list?

Question, will they offer used games within Xbox Live?

Question, if you can only transfer your game once to a friend how will they (retailers) be able to transfer in and out?

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

This one is a bit tricky, at least from my view.

Question, so this isn't really giving your game but gifting it like Steam allows?

Question, that transfer means it will no longer be playable from your system?

Question, what happens to the game for your friend, will he/she be allowed to sell it later on?

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

Question, so as their role (Microsoft Studios) will that still be limited to just one transfer to a friend and you never getting it back?

Question, that last part hints at loaning and renting but specifically mentions with our partners. Does that mean Microsoft Studios will allow this right away?

As we move into this new generation of games and entertainment, from time to time, Microsoft may change its policies, terms, products and services to reflect modifications and improvements to our services, feedback from customers and our business partners or changes in our business priorities and business models or for other reasons. We may also cease to offer certain services or products for similar reasons.

That sounds very vague and an easy out for them to cancel older titles from being accessible like Electronic Arts do with older titles and online play.

In the months ahead, we will continue to listen to your feedback as we meet with our partners in the ecosystem to bring additional detail about our policies.

I guess the bright side (or bad side) is all of this can be altered at any time, for the better or worse.

Trouble

Banned
All you people trying to compare this to Steam are missing one huge huge HUGE thing.

I can install Steam and play my games (bar compatibility issues for some games, grrr) on every new PC I buy/build forever.

Seriously what are the odds of BC on the next Xbox for Xbone games? I'm just not willing to invest the money in a catalog of games for a platform that I will probably lose the ability to play at some point.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
All you people trying to compare this to Steam are missing one huge huge HUGE thing.

I can install Steam and play my games (bar compatibility issues for some games, grrr) on every new PC I buy/build forever.

Seriously what are the odds of BC on the next Xbox for Xbone games? I'm just not willing to invest the money in a catalog of games for a platform that I will probably lose the ability to play at some point.
But when Steam servers go down for good, will you be able to play your games? I know I've heard that if that ever happened, they would allow you to play the games without Steam but I really have doubts on that. In some ways too, I do believe the popularity of Steam has given the push Microsoft wanted to implement the Xbone features.

Thing is, games are becoming a service. They will no longer be a product. For me, a product is something that you can keep. A product is something that you can collect. Most digital distribution sans sites like GOG no longer allow you to keep or collect. The keywords, again, are service and product. When it comes to gaming, I want a product.

Trouble

Banned
But when Steam servers go down for good, will you be able to play your games? I know I've heard that if that ever happened, they would allow you to play the games without Steam but I really have doubts on that. In some ways too, I do believe the popularity of Steam has given the push Microsoft wanted to implement the Xbone features.

Thing is, games are becoming a service. They will no longer be a product. For me, a product is something that you can keep. A product is something that you can collect. Most digital distribution sans sites like GOG no longer allow you to keep or collect. The keywords, again, are service and product. When it comes to gaming, I want a product.

Well people can either trust that Valve will make good on their word or not. I choose to trust that GabeN means what he says, his track record has been pretty rock solid so far.

I'll stick with product as long as possible myself, as well.

RobbieH

"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards." - Don Mattrick

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'm perfectly fine with this if the price is right. I don't replay games or collect them. Give me Steam-like pricing on a console and I'd be very happy as I wouldn't have to hassle with selling games after beating them and I'd be spending about the same I do now after getting some cash back from selling games.

I own 300 some movies and I'm starting to hate that too since I so rarely watch something I own vs something new on/from Netflix.

So I'm personally ready for a move to services rather than buying products that end up just gathering dust or getting resold for me.

But again, the price must be right. I'm not going to pay the same for a service as I do to buy and own products that I can resell. Which is what MS and the publishers are trying to pull.

In an ideal world, non-drm discs would be available for collectors, and digital games would be available along side them at lower prices for those of us who just want to pay for the experience and don't want to own a physical copy.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm perfectly fine with this if the price is right. I don't replay games or collect them. Give me team-like pricing on a console and I'd be very happy as I wouldn't have to hassle with selling games after beating them and I'd be spending about the same I do now after getting some cash back from selling games.

I own 300 some movies and I'm starting to hate that too since I so rarely watch something I own vs something new on/from Netflix.

So I'm personally ready for a move to services rather than buying products that end up just gathering dust or getting resold for me.

But again, the price must be right. I'm not paying the same for a service as I do to buy and own products that I can resell.

In an ideal world, non-drm discs would be available for collectors, and digital games would be available along side them at lower prices for those of us who just want to pay for the experience and don't want to own a physical copy.
That's what I think should happen and to some extent, it is right now. However, I'd be fine with digital copies if said copies were DRM free. This would allow collectors to keep their games and store them on external HDDs or burn them to discs. Some people like the convenience of just having everything in one place and I understand that. In fact, I would love to have that system, like Steam and also own DRM free copy as well.

However, discs have never bothered me bunch. I don't see them taking up too much space. I was living in a tiny studio with my ex-gf and between us, we had a large collection of PS2 and PS3 games. We bought a tall, thin bookshelf that easily allowed to hold a couple hundred games. I've never seen space, especially in regards to disc cases, being much of an issue. But, like I said above, I would more than welcome a digital distribution service that lets you obtain the games it offers as a product, like GOG. That future, however, seems like less of a reality if Xbone is any indication.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I think should happen and to some extent, it is right now. However, I'd be fine with digital copies if said copies were DRM free. This would allow collectors to keep their games and store them on external HDDs or burn them to discs. Some people like the convenience of just having everything in one place and I understand that. In fact, I would love to have that system, like Steam and also own DRM free copy as well.

I think there probably has to be some type of DRM, otherwise people could give copies to all their friends etc. Where as not it at least takes a little bit of effort and tech savvy to pirate games.

I know music went DRM free, but they have a lot of alternative revenue streams from touring, merchandise, radio play royalties, internet radio/streaming royalties etc. that the game industry doesn't have.

DRM just needs to be less restrictive. Make it a one time activation to tie it to your account and then it will always work with no need to check in to reauthorize. And give consumers a way to deactivate it from their account so it can be sold/traded/given away however they choose.

That makes it work pretty much like discs where only one person can play at a time.

However, discs have never bothered me bunch. I don't see them taking up too much space. I was living in a tiny studio with my ex-gf and between us, we had a large collection of PS2 and PS3 games. We bought a tall, thin bookshelf that easily allowed to hold a couple hundred games. I've never seen space, especially in regards to disc cases, being much of an issue. But, like I said above, I would more than welcome a digital distribution service that lets you obtain the games it offers as a product, like GOG. That future, however, seems like less of a reality if Xbone is any indication.

It's not so much the space that bothers me, as it is that I'm a bit OCD and I don't like having things around I don't actively use. I've never been a collector type--with the exception of DVDs and Blurays I guess (and those are starting to bother me as I said above) and just don't see the point of having stuff around I'll never use again (and I don't replay games).

I also want to move around a lot, live abroad etc. so I've really been making an effort to pare down my possessions. Last time I moved I ditched my furniture and have just been renting a furnished condo the past 4 years. So other than my 300+ movie collection I don't have a lot of stuff bogging me down. Also have around 300 cds, but those are getting boxed and stored next time I move as they're all ripped and I never listen to the discs anymore.

I do hate the look of my media racks though--stick out like a sore thumb in my otherwise neat and arty decor. If I'm going to keep a movie disc collection I need to shell out for some media cabinets with doors.

Fox Mulder

If they want to sell services, then do it in a way that consumers will see value in rather than just fucking them.

Buying a $400+ box with features I don't want, the $60 games I'll never own and can't sell, paid dlc, excessive drm, and a Live subscription on top of all that is what we're forced to swallow just to play some games.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I think there probably has to be some type of DRM, otherwise people could give copies to all their friends etc. Where as not it at least takes a little bit of effort and tech savvy to pirate games.

I know music went DRM free, but they have a lot of alternative revenue streams from touring, merchandise, radio play royalties, internet radio/streaming royalties etc. that the game industry doesn't have.

DRM just needs to be less restrictive. Make it a one time activation to tie it to your account and then it will always work with no need to check in to reauthorize. And give consumers a way to deactivate it from their account so it can be sold/traded/given away however they choose.

That makes it work pretty much like discs where only one person can play at a time.

Why not just have disk check instead of online check? This solves the problem with having 24 hr online check, piracy(whis is not a big issue in console), and lending games.

Why not just have disk check instead of online check? This solves the problem with having 24 hr online check, piracy(whis is not a big issue in console), and lending games.

Because your game is copied to the cloud and this makes it work so that family members can access your games and games can be automatically updated? That would be my guess. Piracy has also been an issue on the 360.

I think this is a good scenario purely from a business point of view. I don't see how piracy could happen but then again everything in the past has been cracked. It also controls the used market. Of course from a consumers perspective it's not ideal.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I was talking about for download games, and how DRM should work for those (and why it's needed so people can't just give away copies).

I don't really care for disc games since I don't replay or collect. I'm ready for the download model--I just need prices to change from the disc model since I can't recoup some costs by selling anymore so no way I'm paying the same prices for digital games.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If they want to sell services, then do it in a way that consumers will see value in rather than just fucking them.

Buying a $400+ box with features I don't want, the $60 games I'll never own and can't sell, paid dlc, excessive drm, and a Live subscription on top of all that is what we're forced to swallow just to play some games.

Exactly. They need to incentivize people to make the digital switch. I'm ready since I don't replay or collect, but they still have to make it a good value to me.

Price digital games at least $10, if not $20, less than disc games at launch currently (talking traditional disc games, not Xbone discs that are nothing but install discs). Have regular sale and price drops so they follow the trends of disc games currently (but at cheaper levels).

Have a service like PS+ that gives discounts, free trials of games, free games etc. for a fee. Offer digital rentals for a reasonable daily fee.

They should do all that while keeping traditional discs around for at least this next generation to ease people into the digital world. Incentivize it via the lower prices, maybe make some big games available first on the download store a week or two before the disc is out. Incentivize it to get people to try it and home people start liking the convenience of digital games and become more willing to give up collecting discs, being able to resell things (moot if digital games are enough cheaper to offset most of this difference) etc.

Some are never going to like it as some have a hobby of collecting games that's as (or more) enjoyable to them than the playing of the games. And they're just going to lose some of that business eventually when they go digital and those people buy fewer games and find other collecting hobbies. Nothing they can do about those. But they can do this in a way that doesn't piss off a majority of serious gamers by being more gradual and incentivizing things instead of force feeding it to us all at once with terrible pricing etc.

Megatron

Exactly. They need to incentivize people to make the digital switch. I'm ready since I don't replay or collect, but they still have to make it a good value to me.

If you don't replay or collect, that means you sell your games? You can't sell digital games, and won't really be able to sell XBone games for anything worthwhile. Doesn't seem like Digital is a good way to go for you. You should do something like Gamefly.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Seriously what are the odds of BC on the next Xbox for Xbone games? .
Microsoft is moving all of their products to the NT kernal etc.. so I see the xbox one being the basis for their gaming stuff for a long time.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't replay or collect, that means you sell your games? You can't sell digital games, and won't really be able to sell XBone games for anything worthwhile. Doesn't seem like Digital is a good way to go for you. You should do something like Gamefly.

Read the rest of my posts. I won't pay the same for digital games. They need to be cheaper to offset not being able to sell them. Most games I'm only clearing $10-15 after shipping (as I don't buy many games near launch so I'm not selling new releases) so if digital games are $10-15 cheaper than what I generally pay for disc games I'd come out about the same and not have to hassle with selling games.

Gamefly doesn't work for me as I don't play enough games a year to get decent value out of it, especially when I'd still be buying two or three long games (i.e. Skyrim or Bordelands 2) that I play for months every year. But overall I tend to beat 7-10 games a year lately so a monthly rental service just doesn't make sense.

If digital games drop in prices like disc games, I'd be mostly ok with it. I'd just wait 2 years or so before getting a next gen console and just start buying the older games that were in the $10-30 range, and at those prices I don't really mind not being able to resell. And only do so currently as I have no use for a game disc/case cluttering up the place if I'm never going to replay it--so might as well recoup a few bucks. But I'd rather not have to hassle listing and shipping games out, dealing with the occasional buyer who's a pain in the ass etc.

Trouble

Banned
Microsoft is moving all of their products to the NT kernal etc.. so I see the xbox one being the basis for their gaming stuff for a long time.

An official statement saying they plan to carry Xbone games forward to future consoles would certainly alleviate some trepidation. I don't see them making that promise, though. Their current stance on BC is not reassuring.

Edit: Also, I don't think that's quite correct. The Xbone will run the NT kernel in the 'shared' space, games will not run under that, but in their own space. http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-xbox-one-whats-windows-got-to-do-with-it-7000015684/

Valve has said that if the Steam service ever shuts down, they'll modify its games so they can be played without DRM, yes? I wonder if there's any chance that Microsoft would do the same thing.

abunai

Valve has said that if the Steam service ever shuts down, they'll modify its games so they can be played without DRM, yes? I wonder if there's any chance that Microsoft would do the same thing.

You don't need to wait for valve to do so, there are ways you can do that currently. Although I'm unsure of the legality of the methods, so I'm not going to start naming names on here. But it's possible.

Unlucky

They need to let us choose whether we want the license tied to the disc so we can play it offline as long as we want, or uploaded to the cloud so we need online check-ins but can access it from anywhere.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Of course not. All of your games would just not work anymore ever. Havent you heard?

Top Bottom