• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, another disaster in this whole clusterfuck is that the whole policies, the process for selling used games when our lovely leadershitfailuring overlords give us the permission...are so damn complicated. If we're still confused as hell about some of the aspects, how can Microsoft believe they'll be clear for the average customer?

none.

how many xbox 360 consoles are online at the same time ? way less than how many xbox one will be sold in its first day.

problem with servers right now is a thing of past for Sony and MS.

this is what i think anyway

Uh, the difference being that only a percentage of users are using XBL at a time under current circumstances. With the XBone, everyone will be online all the time if MS has their way. Big launches will require online activations (Do you want to be there when everyone who owns one of these things is trying to activate Halo 5?) and if there is some sort of massive game wide fuck up that results in not being able to activate or properly "re-register" every 24 hours, everyone is XBoned. It is really just greedy and nonsensical plotting between publishers and MS.

Yup, the number of players SimCity had at launch was fairly low and look how that turned out. Plus, there's a good chance those servers might get DDoS'ed by Anonymous or whoever.
And who knows what aspects of xbox live will be crunched to make launch, or how many features will be lacking polish and thorough testing, and how well each of these systems will scale, and how rapidly. Its not even just a matter of dedicating resources, but how each of those software packages and services handle scaling for themselves.

Everything is going to hit all at once, with client consoles undergoing every possible variation of stability and reliability. Its just not feasible to test everything to the point of 100% confidence.

And thats taking Origin, UPlay and Activision out of the picture if they require constant connections for their own cloud capabilities and DRM. And will "participating retailers" be ready to go with all of their used game services?

Then of course, yes, acts of gawd and anonymous and when-it-rains-it-pours-isms. And of course Murphy. He's a bitch.

LOL

I hope the Xbawx huge meme takes off again.
Thanks to Kinect, even though it may not be big (it is), its still encumbering.

Yea, will be interesting. I remember the Surface Pro taking up a lot of space

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510524
Ouch. Good point.

19GB usable out of the 64GB model, and 83GB usable out of the 128GB model? Yikes.

And thats only one OS isn't it?

Caayn

I hope somebody finds out how much of that 500GB hard drive will actually be usable for end users to install apps, games, music and games.

here
Wouldn't be surprised if we got 350GB~400GB that's usable. Like 500GB wasn't small enough yet. Even without mandatory instals I'm all ready running out of space on my current Xbox 360 which has a 320GB hard disk.

Xbox One you can switch between 10 games at any time. Do you want to play game 11, you'll need to wait for a 30 minute install before you can play game number 11. That is after you deleted game 10 ofcourse.

Jac_Solar

Xbox 360 and PS 3 have so far sold like 70 million each. If they simply made a more powerful, simplistic console without a bunch of ridiculous restrictions, they would most likely have reached those numbers next gen as well, maybe even faster.

Games are the main driving force of any console. Games sell consoles. A console with no games would be useless. If publishers/developers struggled this gen where 2 consoles both sold extremely well, how do they expect to do next gen with a console that would probably be hard to give away, but will most likely cost 300$+?

Oh, and with tons of new rules for used/trading games (Which will certainly mess with the general games economy, and peoples incentive towards buying games.)

It's hard to imagine that the gaming industry would do well if the PS4 has the same system of rules as the Xbox One. If that's the case, then as extreme as it may be, a crash would probably be necessary to kick these money grubbing vultures out, and let the extremely dedicated/interested rebuild.

But yeah, unless the mentality/psychology of humans change, or if, somehow, a very dedicated billionare corporation that cares about consumers and gamers gets to control the entire industry, it will sooner or later end up in the same spot it's in today. But still, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't fight it -- if resistance means better games and a more enjoyable hobby, even if just for awhile, then resistance is necessary.

none.

how many xbox 360 consoles are online at the same time ? way less than how many xbox one will be sold in its first day.

Huh? Who'd buy an Xbox One? I think you are severely underestimating the amount of reason people have. Sure, there are a lot of very unreasonable people out there, but there's a limit -- Xbox One is way, way past that line. It's so far beyond that it broke the barrier of time and space, which made it circle back around, and thus have crossed it twice.

FranXico

Who follows blunty on youtube?

Can you believe the amount of damage control from that guy?

"I can play at a friend's place! This is kind of cool!" - skips mentioning the 1h online checks.

"Microsoft will not charge any fee for traded in games" - conveniently forgets to mention that Microsoft provides publishers with a mechanism to do so.

"DLC is shared among all the accounts in the same machine" - PS3 has done that since 2007.

And so on... while he insults the angry nerds.

Nobody can be that stupid to fall for it. I suspect MS pays him.

Caayn

Who follows blunty on youtube?

Can you believe the amount of damage control from that guy?

"I can play at a friend's place! This is kind of cool!" - skips mentioning the 1h online checks.

"Microsoft will not charge any fee for traded in games" - conveniently forgets to mention that Microsoft provides publishers with a mechanism to do so.

"DLC is shared among all the accounts in the same machine" - PS3 has done that since 2007.

And so on... while he insults the angry nerds.

Nobody can be that stupid to fall for it. I suspect MS pays him.
So does the current Xbox 360 which shares all DLC/Games with all accounts on the same system.

eek5

Ouch. Good point.

19GB usable out of the 64GB model, and 83GB usable out of the 128GB model? Yikes.

And thats only one OS isn't it?

It's closer to 30 for the 64gb. Part of the problem is that the HDD has the recovery partition on it. You can move recovery partition to a usb drive to free up ~7gb.

Dead Man

Wouldn't be surprised if we got 350GB~400GB that's usable. Like 500GB wasn't small enough yet. Even without mandatory instals I'm all ready running out of space on my current Xbox 360 which has a 320GB hard disk.

Xbox One you can switch between 10 games at any time. Do you want to play game 11, you'll need to wait for a 30 minute install before you can play game number 11. That is after you deleted game 10 ofcourse.

Yeah, 500gb seems very small for a system with mandatory installs.

Nokterian

I hope somebody finds out how much of that 500GB hard drive will actually be usable for end users to install apps, games, music and games.

here

500gb is just bad avertising. Why? Well look at 250gb Xbox 360. Since the OS takes a good chunk of space you have 199gb left. So i guess that Xbone will have 450 or less on that hdd since there are 3 OS running there.

Jac_Solar

People have pointed out before that if anything happened to steam, as it went bust not likely that they could just get rid of the drm in that case. strangely people will accept that steam would sort if out but not ms. This isn't an ideological thing as people have admitted the don't mind steam doing it as the price is right go figure

While I'm opposed to Steam and dislike it as a service, certain games do come with NoSteam safeguards, which allows people to play without Steam in the event that it stops working (X3, for example, comes with such a safeguard.). It's up to the publishers/developers I assume, and probably Valve as well. PC has tons and tons of more options than a console, especially in this case, as well.

fritolay

38538468.jpg

But in all seriousness, these anti-consumer policies are reprehensible and I don't see how it'd be good for any gamer to really support it. If this actually becomes the thing for all consoles to do moving forward consider me done with consoles. #PC4LIFE

I own a PC. Can I sell my used games?

velociraptor

yeah exactly. don't know why Xbox one is getting a hard time when steam gets a free pass :-

Do you ever get megasales on Xbox Live?

Hell, I picked up Portal 2 for like £3 on Steam.

The prices on Steam completely negate the 'DRM' placed upon the games.

Console games however tend to be more expensive. If Microsoft are going to implement such strategies, I don't see why they would be wiling to reduce the RRP of titles to simply benefit the consumer. This is a company, after all, which charges money for what should be a free service (online play).

2MF

If you go on vacay and your XB is at home connected you wont notice anything when you get home and play games. If you take your XB with you and fire it up after 24 hours has passed without a connection you wont be able to play anything until you connect it and refresh your licenses.

When I go on vacation the router stays off (as do most of the other electrical appliances). If I bought an Xbone (which I won't) and the Internet is down when I come back, seems I have a nice brick.

Chinner

Banned
Do you ever get megasales on Xbox Live?

Hell, I picked up Portal 2 for like £3 on Steam.

The prices on Steam completely negate the 'DRM' placed upon the games.

Console games however tend to be more expensive. If Microsoft are going to implement such strategies, I don't see why they would be wiling to reduce the RRP of titles to simply benefit the consumer. This is a company, after all, which charges money for what should be a free service (online play).
I don't see what the big deal is? even after 24 hours the Xbox one locks you out, you can still watch tv. can you watch tv on steam or PlayStation 4?

velociraptor

When I go on vacation the router stays off (as do most of the other electrical appliances). If I bought an Xbone (which I won't) and the Internet is down when I come back, seems I have a nice brick.
Have Microsoft ever addressed what happens when you don't sign in every 24 hours?

jackrubyn

Comments from this thread (I think) is quoted in an article from the website of Sweden's largest tabloid magazine, Aftonbladet:

"– Det finns inte en chans i helvetet att jag köper en Xbox One nu, rasar Walshy på spelforumet Neogaf.

– Det går inte att hyra? Skit. Det går inte att sälja spel privat? Skit ner er! ryter Impeccable.
"

Rough translation:

"– There's no chance in hell that I'll by an Xbox One now, rages Walshy on the gaming forum Neogaf.

– You can't rent games? Crap. You can't resell games privately? Go to hell, roars Impeccable.
"

BigDug13

I own a PC. Can I sell my used games?

Nope, and you also won't be forced to check in with daddy Valve once per day. That's the worst part of everything. Mandatory online. Sorry troops. Sorry students. Sorry third world. Sorry parts of First world countries that still have Internet like the third world.

eek5

Comments from this thread (I think) is quoted in an article from the website of Sweden's largest tabloid magazine, Aftonbladet:

"– Det finns inte en chans i helvetet att jag köper en Xbox One nu, rasar Walshy på spelforumet Neogaf.

– Det går inte att hyra? Skit. Det går inte att sälja spel privat? Skit ner er! ryter Impeccable.
"

Rough translation:

"– There's no chance in hell that I'll by an Xbox One no, rages Walshy on the gaming forum Neogaf.

– You can't rent games? Crap. You can't resell games privately? Go to hell, roars Impeccable.
"

Here it is!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=61783652&highlight=#post61783652

"– There's no chance in hell that I'll by an Xbox One no, rages Walshy on the gaming forum Neogaf.

"

ROAR. Yeah, Firebrand linked me to that last night. I was only less popular than Brad and Angelina.

Goldmund

"

Rough translation:

"
NeoGAF quoted in Aftonbladet? Hilarious. Good find.

I'd assume for most people you are going to be logging in every time you turn the console on. If you leave it off for a period longer than 24 hours it will ask you to login the next time you turn it on, so there may be lots of times you can't play because of a lack of internet.

jesus. it's not like the machine will blow up if you don't have internet. it just means that when you turn it on after you come back from vacation it will log you in again. you literally won't notice any difference once you turn your router on again after coming home.

panda21

can we refer to it as the 'bone from here on out? I think thats a really fitting name for it. I'm tempted to start a thread about it but it would maybe get locked for being stupid

So, I was wondering GAF...

We now know that the NSA has access to Microsoft's customer database through the PRISM program. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

We also know that every Xbox One comes with a high tech camera that can recognise faces and voices that needs to be connected and functioning in order for the console to function AND the console needs to be connected to the internet every 24 or 1 hour(s).

How is this not incredibly scary and fishy? Sounds like data mining galore to me!

No, no, no, this console is staying far away from me!

sublimit

Banned
This has probably been answered before but i would be thankful if someone answers me this:what happens if someone hacks MS and they have to shut down their servers like it happened with the PS3?
Will i be able to still play offline games?

Goldmund

This has probably been answered before but i would be thankful if someone answers me this:what happens if someone hacks MS and they have to shut down their servers like it happened with the PS3?
Do you really need more than 24 hours to finish the kind of game most likely to be the prevalent type on the Xbone?

chadskin

If the server outage is longer than 24 hours, I don't think so. But ... but ... you can still watch TV!

In all seriousness, they'd have to issue an update to patch out the online requirement (if possible at all with servers down). Anyway, that would disable every DRM and there's no way this is going to happen. If we have learnt one thing through all of this it's Microsoft takes a poop on its customers.

Steroyd

none.

You're right the X1 isn't going to sell any units then there won't be any server load issues when 10 people buy Halo 5 at launch.

The point is if the next halo breaks sales records and sells 6 million copies on it's launch day, then that's 6 million people hooking up to MS's servers on launch day trying to get verification, there is no guarantee it will go as smooth as butter whether MS are experts in this field or not "shit happens".

Additionlly if you pre-order such games and receive them days before the launch date, MS could very well not have the authentication process until launch day, meaning those 6 million people are guaranteed to be verifying their copies on the same day.

Top Bottom