• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series - Seagate Storage SSD Expansions Receive Permanent Price Drop (512GB: $ 89, 1TB: $149,2TB: $279)

Kacho

Think of all the new games you’ll be able to download and play now

QfQD.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Well it looks like other manufacturers will be making these soon as well, so hopefully that drives down the price along with sales.

Legit surprised at that WD thing not being formally announced yet.

Probably part of their E3 showcase.

scydrex

The WD sn850x 1tb is $85 now in Amazon and the Xbox 512gb cost the same for half the space and 3x slower? No thanks...

Edit: the 512gb it's US$5 more expensive than the 1tb sn850x with a 7,300mb/s speed right now.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Still waaay too overpriced. These must have some crazy profit margins. Here is something I saw a few days ago: Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB
Half the price, double speed, much better brand and can be easily used in a PC.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: HTK

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I remember ReviewTechUSA arguing that Xbox had the better solution. Its not even close. Sonys solution demolishes this.

The only way Xbox could get close would be to release an adapter that can accept a Gen 4 M.2. It would look ugly on the back of the xbox though.

gothmog

Gold Member
Getting closer to actually buying one. This is such a dumb thing. Lower prices will reduce friction to be in the ecosystem. They should be making this as low cost as possible.

Lone Wolf

Getting closer to actually buying one. This is such a dumb thing. Lower prices will reduce friction to be in the ecosystem. They should be making this as low cost as possible.
Just wait a bit and there will be a sale, making the price bearable most likely.

MarkMe2525

The proprietary route its always the worst way for the consumer.
Not always, in this case yes, but not always. If the proprietary products brings unique features and benefits, then the usual increased costs can be justified.

An example would be apples lightening connector. With USB-C available it is no longer the case, but at the release of apples proprietary connection, it was by far the better experience for the consumer compared to the micro USB standard that was popular. One compact reversible connection with power and audio capabilities. It took around 7 years for the USB standard makers to catch up.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’ll never understand the design choices for this thing. They designed it so you can hotswap a storage card when the console is powered on. Could’ve been used as a cool cartridge solution for collector editions if they made cheaper preinstalled 50-100GB cards. But then they decided to have the slot at the back of the console… making it unlikely that you’ll ever jank out a card when the console is powered on.

Ev1L AuRoN

Not always, in this case yes, but not always. If the proprietary products brings unique features and benefits, then the usual increased costs can be justified.

An example would be apples lightening connector. With USB-C available it is no longer the case, but at the release of apples proprietary connection, it was by far the better experience for the consumer compared to the micro USB standard that was popular. One compact reversible connection with power and audio capabilities. It took around 7 years for the USB standard makers to catch up.
When it comes to memory, I disagree..

Kilau

wait .. really ? why would they do that lol, is it notable or just minor?
It's 6.5Gbps versus 1.5Gbps when transfer to/from the internal storage.

The 2TB with better controller probably, guess the velocity architecture isn't used outside of supported games. Makes me wonder if the upcoming WD cards will have even better speeds for transfers.

MarkMe2525

When it comes to memory, I disagree..
Well yeah, memory specifically really does benefit from having standards, of course these standards will always be superceded eventually. My point was, the idea that proprietary is always bad for consumers is a little too broad to be true.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's 6.5Gbps versus 1.5Gbps when transfer to/from the internal storage.

The 2TB with better controller probably, guess the velocity architecture isn't used outside of supported games. Makes me wonder if the upcoming WD cards will have even better speeds for transfers.
Yep. Larger SSDs in a series tend to have better controllers I noticed, more often than not.

Ev1L AuRoN

Well yeah, memory specifically really does benefit from having standards, of course these standards will always be superceded eventually. My point was, the idea that proprietary is always bad for consumers is a little too broad to be true.
True, it makes sense, I'm not a fan of proprietary connections and expansions but sometimes they came with better technology. The problem is as always the price.

LMAO this pricing is worse than Vita memory cards, I don't get what Seagate and Microsoft get from holding the prices this high except to spite what few buyers there are of these things.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Just got myself a WD black sn850x 2to for my PS5. It was for >200€ ...
Don't know how dumb I was if the price most people are saying are really in the 100$ range, or if the TVA and other taxes that we have that made it more expensive. But if my price is not overpaid too much then I can say that the Xbox SSD got pretty close to it. Shame that it is for a gen3 and not a gen 4 but if is for console only so it does not matter really. The question is more what will happen of them for next gen by the way? Will Xbox push it more or will they follow Sony this time? Outside of the price I am loving the idea and would like Sony to do it if they can for the PS6. Having a memory card again after so long would be nice. But by then they will probably not need to be cutting edge in the SSD space and just make the upgrade necessary to not be left in the dust too much by PC.
LMAO this pricing is worse than Vita memory cards, I don't get what Seagate and Microsoft get from holding the prices this high except to spite what few buyers there are of these things.
Not sure that Microsoft got any choice in this. When making the Series S and X they probably felt that they had no choice but to allow for more memory as 1 To and especially 500 Gb is way too small to have more than a few games. And the casual nature of the consumers that they expected to gain with the S would need a very easy and convenient way to use it. So they looked for someone to give them a solution and I did not see anyone be unhappy with what Seagate did. Just that either Seagate wanted exclusivity and saw the market as really small so they did not did much, or Microsoft wanted a way to regain some of the losses they take on all Xbox consoles and is taking most of the money that they made of it ? In the first case Xbox will probably have to eat part of the cost to make it competitive, and I can understand that they were not willing to do this until recently. If they have just been greedy then they will learn the same lesson that Sony learned with the Vita and not do the same for the next gen I suppose.

zomboden

Banned
Not a bad deal at all IMO. It's proprietrery so it's always gonna be a little more expensive than an off the shelf ssd like you can plug into a PS5.

If I didn't have fast internet and can download 100 gb in like 30 min with unlimited data I would definitely opt in for one for my Xbox. But as it stands I can just delete and redownload stuff willy nilly so there's not much point for me personally.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I paid $279 for 4TB Gen 4 7 Gb/s NVMe drive on Wednesday. These prices are still too high.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean it’s obvious why there is such a big cost difference.

One company with one manufacturing process making a very small supply of product vs just grabbing an off the shelf part.

The big issue here is if more 3rd parties were able to make these it would not only drive down the price but someone somewhere would make an adapter for off the shelf ssds

rkofan87

Gold Member
I remember ReviewTechUSA arguing that Xbox had the better solution. Its not even close. Sonys solution demolishes this.

The only way Xbox could get close would be to release an adapter that can accept a Gen 4 M.2. It would look ugly on the back of the xbox though.
that guy is a hack

Top Bottom