• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X may run on Windows Core OS

GHG

Gold Member
Wasn't this the hope and dreams of the Steam Machines? I still dont quite get how Valve fucked that up so hard.

Yep and the long term vision was to rid themselves of the windows dependency and eventually load them up with SteamOS.

The biggest problem was that they were overpriced and were poorly marketed.

I think they attempted it too soon. The HTPC market is a lot more mature now than it was in 2013.

At least we got the Steam controller out of it

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yep and the long term vision was to rid themselves of the windows dependency and eventually load them up with SteamOS.

The biggest problem was that they were overpriced and were poorly marketed.

I think they attempted it too soon. The HTPC market is a lot more mature now than it was in 2013.

At least we got the Steam controller out of it
To me them having varying different specs was a huge issue. THe idea of hybrid machine that could give PC devs an idea of what was in a large number of machines could of been really cool for the PC scene. Without any kind of common ground it wasn't any different from hardware makers just making a gaming rig. Steam OS was obviously their goal but they pulled the plug so fast it was weird.

Azurro

Banned
There is not a single publicly available device that runs on Windows Core OS. Surface Hub 2, Hololens 2(probably not at launch) and Surface Neo are the first confirmed ones.

It's not going to run windows games, it's not the full OS, it's just the core. Stop trying to hype up people with something you are misunderstanding, you are not going to run Excel on the Xbox SeX.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Windows Core OS is, of course, a modular, processor-agnostic Windows kernel designed to be paired with so-called Composable Shells. While many shells have been cancelled, the discovery of the test game suggests GameCore is still going strong.
Assuming that Microsoft is planning on using Windows Core OS as a common OS across all of its products, it looks likely that future Xbox consoles – perhaps even starting with the Xbox Series X – would run using a Windows Core OS-based core.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
It's not going to run windows games, it's not the full OS, it's just the core. Stop trying to hype up people with something you are misunderstanding, you are not going to run Excel on the Xbox SeX.
And you should stop making people believe that Xbox System Software on Xbox One is called Windows Core OS. Windows Core OS is not publicly available in any device yet. As far as we know Windows 10X in Surface Neo(and will also come to Surface Hub 2) is also Windows Core OS and that can run win32 apps.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don’t care how Windows it has until I can install Steam into it.
Or Ableton.
Well, in all honesty if it would run just Ableton without millions of processes in background, it could be quite huge. It's not like Zen2 is not total beast, just it would probably need to support external interfaces, that's probably when it would fall apart.

To me the best OS is no OS, no OS shortens the time to get into the game.
That's unrealistic in this day and age.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Well, in all honesty if it would run just Ableton without millions of processes in background, it could be quite huge. It's not like Zen2 is not total beast, just it would probably need to support external interfaces, that's probably when it would fall apart.

That's unrealistic in this day and age.
Of course it's unrealistic with apps, and streaming sites leading consoles.

Top Bottom