• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Price Won’t Be Revealed During The July Event

I personally think leaving the price announcement till like August is a dumb move by Microsoft. If their price is higher than the PS5's, there's going to be no time to recover..... in case people take it the wrong way. At least by releasing the price early enough gives people enough time to take it in, and then they can promote their console in other areas. Sony has the advantage regardless of what price they set it at, so I have no clue why Microsoft keep delaying the announcement.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Nothing shows confidence like hiding.
Than Sony's been the most confident MFer heading into this next gen.

Sony knew months ago what the Series X looked like and how much more powerful it was before they even tweeted a logo.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So no pre-order then? I would think they would want to open the console pre-orders after the show. Makes me think they will definitely be holding back some fire for later then.

GHG

Let's see if Richard from DF makes a big deal of this as well then.

Last edited:

KaKaRi

good.. I guess Phil has learned from the past and is hungry to win next gen. (i love a good competition, as we will benefit from it)
I just hope they do not screw up this showcase

AllBizness

Banned
I wonder if Ledbetter will acknowledge this as he expressed disappointment in Sony for not mentioning price at PS5 reveal.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
they ain't hidin'

just waitin' for Sony to think fuck it we need to reveal a price. Sony announce whatever price $499 (for example).

MS come swaggin' in. boom! $399.

RIP Sony

MrS

Banned
This is getting absurd now. I'm getting a PS5 day one regardless but I imagine this is getting annoying for those trying to decide which next gen system to purchase.

they ain't hidin'

just waitin' for Sony to think fuck it we need to reveal a price. Sony announce whatever price $499 (for example).

RIP Sony
giphy.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am starting to think that the Xbox Series X might be more than $499 after all. And that Sony's digital console is $499.

Both consoles are expensive and no one wants to be the first one to say hey, we went over $499.

thats the only explanation. they are both scared and seem to have zero confidence in their product.

pr0cs

Don't really care, to me both consoles need to show me some launch games that I need to play on the new boxes. Software is way more important to me than one machine being $50 more than the other.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I am starting to think that the Xbox Series X might be more than $499 after all. And that Sony's digital console is $499.

Both consoles are expensive and no one wants to be the first one to say hey, we went over $499.

thats the only explanation. they are both scared and seem to have zero confidence in their product.
I think Microsoft planned to just match the PS5 on price, but them Sony came along with the PS5 DE that will be at least $50 cheaper, and maybe even $100 if they want to take a risk. Not sure if Microsoft will be able to match that, so now I'm expecting Lockhart $299 < PS5 DE $399/449 < XSX $449/499 < PS5 $499/549

SlimySnake

Exactly! Thats why Sony announced... oh wait.
what makes you think Sony is confident? they are both scared shitless making multiple skus at launch. one going all online after making videos mocking the competition just a gen ago. the other is releasing the weakest next gen console ever to be released potentially fucking over 150 million users who will buy these powerful $499+ consoles that will be held back by this fraud of a console.

i am surprised to see so many here defend their teams. this kind of secrecy is almost never good news for consumers.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

...or Sony needs to price the PS5 and it's "super duper magical ultra speedy" SSD at a stupid price. BTW have you seen the price of SSDs recently? shits expensive yo

microsoft, having the more powerful console, also would like to sell it at the highest price possible but they need to get a 1 up on Sony so they waiting....let Sony make the first move then undercut them because ultimately MS can afford to eat a loss since it has more valuable subscriptions to sell and gets a load of money from PC gamers for Windows licenses and games sold through their store on PC.

Xbox is definitely gonna have the cheapest console. Sony just can't afford to take a loss.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I think it is even more nuanced than that. I think both would be more comfortable at $499 for the top disc versions but they know whoever blinks first the other will just undercut them.

Even if they compromise at $450 the other will go all in at $399. The only way to "win" is to go in all aggressive at $399 and force the other to match (at best).

What makes this even more complicated is the Series S and PS5DE pricing. Basically both cornered themselves with their multiple SKUs and now they don't know what to do....

Last edited:

The "they are both scared and seem to have zero confidence in their product" because of pricing is absurd, the market speaks for itself, console components have a cost there is nothing you can do about that, console always offers a better deal compared to PC (specially at launch)

SlimySnake

I think it is even more nuanced than that. I think both would be more comfortable at $499 for the top disc versions but they know whoever blinks first the other will just undercut them.

Even if they compromise at $450 the other will go all in at $399. The only way to "win" is to go in all aggressive at $399 and force the other to match (at best).

What makes this even more complicated is the Series S and PS5DE pricing. Basically both cornered themselves with their multiple SKUs and now they don't know what to do....
But MS is already bound to have the cheapest console no matter what. Lockhart is likely their $299 console. their ace in the hole. They dont need to concern themselves with Sony's price. They have the most powerful console and if sony comes in at $450, fine. They can always say hey we have more tflops, hence the $50 more price tag.

I think some like billy155 are under the delusion that xsx could be a $399 console. surely MS doesnt think thats realistic or they wouldve released just one SKU at $399. lockhart exists because the XSX is so expensive. the way they are dragging their heels it seems the xsx is more expensive than $499.

GinSama

If any company knows that they have a competitive price wouldn’t be better that they would reveal now??

I mean yeah still missing some events but they could easily start the hype train over the other company.

THE:MILKMAN

But MS is already bound to have the cheapest console no matter what. Lockhart is likely their $299 console. their ace in the hole. They dont need to concern themselves with Sony's price. They have the most powerful console and if sony comes in at $450, fine. They can always say hey we have more tflops, hence the $50 more price tag.

I think some like billy155 are under the delusion that xsx could be a $399 console. surely MS doesnt think thats realistic or they wouldve released just one SKU at $399. lockhart exists because the XSX is so expensive. the way they are dragging their heels it seems the xsx is more expensive than $499.

I will say this is all a bit of nightmare to be honest. So many angles you can come from on what price each SKU could/might be.

Right now it seems the biggest spanner in the works is probably the PS5DE being announced out of nowhere. Right from the first Wired article in April 2019 Sony made a pretty big point PS5 would have a disc drive and there wasn't even a murmur or hint of a discless SKU. If there is even a small possibility of Sony doing $350/$450 then that does put pressure on a $299/$499 Series S/X.

The real head scratcher is Microsoft still not acknowledging Series S yet. Makes you wonder why if it is to be the main lower priced SKU for the masses. Though I still think it hard to believe it wouldn't be losing quite some money at a $299 or lower retail price.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I personally think leaving the price announcement till like August is a dumb move by Microsoft. If their price is higher than the PS5's, there's going to be no time to recover..... in case people take it the wrong way. At least by releasing the price early enough gives people enough time to take it in, and then they can promote their console in other areas. Sony has the advantage regardless of what price they set it at, so I have no clue why Microsoft keep delaying the announcement.
How exactly does Sony have the advantage in pricing...EXACTLY?

If that were the case, theyd of already announced because they know MS couldn't beat them.

Both companies are waiting to undercut the other. Thats all there is to it.

geordiemp

My guess is Lockart 299, Ps5 DE 499, Ps5 550. XSX 599

Yup nobody wants to say over 500 so we have a standoff. The designs probably started off targeting 500 or so, but memory and flash prices sky rocketed and why we are at plan B as both consoles have more RAM and SSD

Also note the silicon prices for EUV partly used on 7nm (RDNA2) has not been set yet by anyone, and EUV Litho equipmemt is price of a small country, so anyone thinking RDNA2 is just a bit more than 7 nm RDNA1 is being optimistic.

XSX price will not be given until Lockart price is also announced IMO. All the 399 posts on both sides are a sunny day...

Last edited:

Gavon West

No, dude. Just. No.

Lockhart exists for the casuals and casuals alone. Its for the people who gives zero fucks about 4K gaming. It has nothing to do with Series X being super expensive.

Series X will be at most $499 if thats the price for PS5 or lower. I still think Sony would be foolish to price at $500 for a weaker console. Thats just me

I think Microsoft planned to just match the PS5 on price, but them Sony came along with the PS5 DE that will be at least $50 cheaper, and maybe even $100 if they want to take a risk. Not sure if Microsoft will be able to match that, so now I'm expecting Lockhart $299 < PS5 DE $399/449 < XSX $449/499 < PS5 $499/549
I agree on the 100$ between standard ps5 & DE (make more sense), on the other hand XSX $449/499 < PS5 $499/549 ? why is the ps5 more expensive ? SSD ? they should be even.
Oh come the fuck on. This game of chicken with Sony over price reveals is getting ridiculous. The damn thing is out in like 4 months, tell us the price already!
f982va2u76751.jpg

Banned
Which console is likely to cost most manufacturing terms?

most likely the PS5.
with its way more expensive SSD + bigger size + more elaborate sound chip, it will most likely be slightly above the Series X.
that's the system alone. now add the Controller. the PS5 controller has way more stuff cramped into them. this means the controller will also be more expensive to produce, which will also push the price up.

sublimit

Banned
So all those people who were saying that Sony was "afraid" of MS's price what do they have to say now? Is MS "afraid" of Sony's price? :rolleyes:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Agreed... if MS was really ready to drop the hammer on price, this would be the time to do it. A $399 announcement would send Sony reeling IMO. Both companies are playing chicken about it, which says to me that neither is ready to go there.

Last edited:
How exactly does Sony have the advantage in pricing...EXACTLY?

If that were the case, theyd of already announced because they know MS couldn't beat them.

Both companies are waiting to undercut the other. Thats all there is to it.

Because they're currently destroying Microsoft in sales. As I previously said, your casual gamer will not care about specs or anything like that..... they care about games; Microsoft has been lacking in that department. Logically, most people would rather stick with Sony than switch to a whole new platform.

You really think Sony are concerned about what Microsoft is doing? Microsoft has to pull out all the stops just to even compete with Sony. And I don't even think Microsoft can match Sony's price, considering the Xbox Series X is probably going to cost way more to make. Calling it now..... Xbox Series X will cost around $549 and the PS5 will cost around $499.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I agree on the 100$ between standard ps5 & DE (make more sense), on the other hand XSX $449/499 < PS5 $499/549 ? why is the ps5 more expensive ? SSD ? they should be even.
I think if the PS5 DE is so much lower, Microsoft would like to be in between them. Although maybe it will be the same price as the PS5

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Because they're currently destroying Microsoft in sales. As I previously said, your casual gamer will not care about specs or anything like that..... they care about games; Microsoft has been lacking in that department. Logically, most people would rather stick with Sony than switch to a whole new platform.

You really think Sony are concerned about what Microsoft is doing? Microsoft has to pull out all the stops just to even compete with Sony. And I don't even think Microsoft can match Sony's price, considering the Xbox Series X is probably going to cost way more to make. Calling it now..... Xbox Series X will cost around $549 and the PS5 will cost around $499.
Yes, this is very obvious in their communication and marketing. Starting with Cerny saying there is more to a console than TF. Not saying he is wrong, but he was mostly saying that because they are at a disadvantage. So yeah, Sony cares what Microsoft does.

baphomet

Sony have never given any fucks about Microsoft's pricing, and this is no different.

Microsoft isn't going to undercut them when Sony announce first either.

Reactions: MrS

Gavon West

Lol. Sure! Sony isnt worried about Microsoft in the least. Thats why they havent revealed the price of the PS5 and openly admitted their waiting on MS to announce their price first. They arent worried about what games or studios MS has now either. Thats why theyre buyinh studios too.

They arent even worried about game streaming. Thats why their teaming with Azure.

Nope! They arent worried at all. Lol

Vognerful

It is November 2020.......
your ps5/XSX has just arrived after you have pre-ordered in August. There was no price, just a 50 USD for booking. The rest is in cash.
How much? You don't know but you think you have saved enough.

you open the door and there is a bold tall guy holding you box.

"neoGAF??".
"Yes that's me. How much is it?"
"Xxx.xx USD."
"Oh really?, I thought it would higher with all the confidentiality"
".....…............……"
"Where do I sign"
"Here"

before you know it, there is pistol aiming at your head. "No one is allowed to know".

he leaves with the money and leaves the box, towards his next delivery.

As the underdog, I think Microsoft has much less to lose from waiting than Playstation does. Unless Microsoft decides they want to go extremely low just because they can, I suspect Sony will blink first.

LixhulHot

Banned
This is all I'm waiting for. Xbox SX will not be a big seller we all know that so what's the point of this event if not price. They really need to show the difference in power otherwise it's game over already.

Reactions: MrS

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
they ain't hidin'

RIP Sony

People are laughing at you for this, but it's probably what will happen. It'll be a reverse of Sony's $299 moment from 1995.

MS is more concerned with people getting on GamePass than any losses they'd take with a $399 console.

Top Bottom