• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X Reportedly Has Always Online DRM for Physical Xbox One Games (see post #32 - unconfirmed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outrunner

Now, DoesItPlay (a Twitter account dedicated to testing physical games) has discovered that Xbox One games require an online connection to play [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]. They initially tested with Gears of War 4 on Xbox One, finding that when a game was installed while the console was offline, and refused to play unless the console was online.

“We then went online as instructed and it unlocked the game,” DoesItPlay explained. “We then turned on ‘offline mode’ and turned off the console. After 10 minutes the game will no longer play offline”. They further claim they have heard reports of this occurring with other games, and that the online check seemingly starts on booting up the console.

Last edited:
Arghh. They finally got us with the always online DRM. Smart Delivery was the back door. There are no Series X games, just check ins on disk plus a download of the best version of the game you can run.

Combined with quick resume, you could keep the first time check in that survives power cycling, you could keep a game in memory for a lot longer than before. I think the added features are worth it, but who knows.

Last edited:
Why?

What about having XB1 games on an external and plugging it into the S?
You still have to download them to the drive. The S has to connect to the internet to atleast download games. If access isn't the issue, online play can be limited via parental controls.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Seems like this is a bug. Stuff like this has happened in the past and has always been patched quickly.

Twitter user should probably cool his jets and say "this doesn't seem to be working as it did on Xbox One" rather than "Evil Microsoft sneaking in 2013 DRM. Taking money and making physical useless."

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
"When you designate an Xbox as your home Xbox, you’ll be allowed to play any of your downloaded games at any time, even if you’re offline. What’s more, any other profiles on the machine will be able to play your games, and will even be able to reap the benefits of any Xbox Live or Xbox Game Pass memberships affiliated with your account. But that stuff’s secondary. The important thing here is that you can play your games, at any point, regardless of how Verizon or Time Warner behave on a given day.
Here’s how to set it up:
  1. Open up your settings.
  2. Go to the “general” menu (the first one).
  3. Click on “Personalization.”
  4. Scroll down to “My home Xbox.”
  5. Click “Make this my home Xbox.”
There’s a minor caveat to all of this. You can only switch home Xboxes five times per one-year period. The system will tell you how many switches you have left for your time period, but won’t tell you when you when your year will reset. Keep that in mind if you hop your account to, say, a friend or family member’s machine."

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You still have to download them to the drive. The S has to connect to the internet to atleast download games. If access isn't the issue, online play can be limited via parental controls.

But what if you DL'ed them on the XB1 and then plugged it into the S for BC?

Sethbacca

Oh man, the screeching on this one is going to be crazy. Microsoft might as well just take the L and get out of hardware now if this is true. They got raked over the coals for this at the One reveal.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Also.. can't help but notice the guy setup his console, checked to see if it was home console.. then he reset his console...

Did he check to see if it was home console after resetting?

Either way this is almost certainly a bug he found by this offline/online back and forth thing and not intentional DRM.

Barakov

Gold Member
I'd say at the very least this is eyebrow raising. I have my own issues with Sony but at least there you can play your games offline.

Here is what the person says the issue is:

issue.jpg

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Lol at the usual Nichegamer trying to stir controversy and reporting stuff from a random Twitter account without doing any verification. It's sadly funny that someone still believes these charlatans are worth reading, let alone making a thread out of.

You need to set your Xbox as the home console.

The thread should have ended here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom