• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles DE is remaster, NOT a remake

... unless not-yet-released information says otherwise.

I see this way too often, people calling it a remake. Based on the trailer, cutscenes are 1:1 the same, as are environments or animations. They only upgraded the character models and upped texture resolution. Maybe there's the rumored additional area, but just because there's an area where you can run around and kill monsters doesn't make it a remake.

I think I have established myself to NOT be a Xenoblade-hater, so I just wanted to correct this, seemingly widespread, misbelief.

A remake would be one of two things:
- completel remake like REmake
- graphical remake like Link's Awakening

Upping resolution and upgrading character models is not a graphical remake - it's standard for a good remaster, see Final Fantasy 8.

Handel

We don't have all the details, there is speculation that it will have previously cut content in it. Still not a remake, but it would be an enhanced remaster.

Yes :(

Lots of Nintendo fanboys treating it as a major release for this year, because they think it's a remake ... 🤦‍♀️
It kind of is, considering the conditions by which it originally released in the US, and the audience brought in with the Switch. In the fanboy wars lists it's not equivalent to a remake, but in just terms of sales it could find major success relative to it's original release and for it's genre.

RPGCrazied

Its not a remaster either. They are not simply raising the resolution. In the short trailer it looks like maybe a new engine with all new textures. What would you call it then?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yes :(

Lots of Nintendo fanboys treating it as a major release for this year, because they think it's a remake ... 🤦‍♀️
But this IS a major release. I don’t know the numbers for Xenoblade 1, but between the limited distribution in the US on Wii and the 3D version being exclusive to the New 3DS, the game is basically brand new for a lot of people.

Hell, I played the game on BOTH Wii and 3DS and I literally squealed when the DE was announced, LOL. I’m quadruple dipping without batting an eyelid (I bought the game on the WiiU VC too :messenger_grinning_sweat:).

Its not a remaster either. They are not simply raising the resolution. In the short trailer it looks like maybe a new engine with all new textures. What would you call it then?
It’s still a remaster. They’re not remaking the game from the ground up with new mechanics and completely different areas, scenes, characters and story bits. They may add a couple of areas that were cut in the original but the game will be 99% the same, albeit with a new engine and textures.

The line between remaster and remake is admittedly thin at times (engine notwithstanding, Link’s Awakening is 90% the same game it was on the GB), but in XB’s case I don’t see on what ground it could be argued that the DE is a remake.

Last edited:
I mean, it is kind of a major release. A lot of people haven't played it and the franchise's stature has grown considerably after Xeno 2 was such a huge success.

By that measure publisher stop making new games and release od games remastered, because lots of people haven't played old games :/

Where do you see a new engine? As I said in the op (learn to read!), nothing in the trailer points to a remake, it's 1:1 the same. Even if the engine was new, the content isn't, based on the trailer. Why assume things that aren't there?!

Saruhashi

Banned
Uhm, did anyone actually state otherwise?

I mean, you don’t call a Definitive Edition a remake.

I think the problem is that "fanboys" are saying it's a major release and this is where the issue lies.

The narrative is that Nintendo has no good games coming out.
So if you are looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition and thinking of it as a major release (because you are going to spend about 80 hours playing it) then you are wrong and a fanboy.

Maybe you've never played it before. Maybe you can't wait to play it again.
Either way don't you DARE think of it as a major release for this year!

Basically it's a game that many people are excited about but it "doesn't count" because fanboys. I think?

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I think the problem is that "fanboys" are saying it's a major release and this is where the issue lies.

So if you are looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition and thinking of it as a major release (because you are going to spend about 80 hours playing it) then you are wrong and a fanboy.

Basically it's a game that many people are excited about but it "doesn't count" because fanboys. I think?

Don't argue with him though because your opinion will be wrong.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I haven't played Xenoblade, so it's nice that it comes back to current gen, but I would have preferred a remaster of XCX instead. Looks way better.

Quezacolt

Where do you see a new engine? As I said in the op (learn to read!), nothing in the trailer points to a remake, it's 1:1 the same. Even if the engine was new, the content isn't, based on the trailer. Why assume things that aren't there?!
Even remakes can be 1:1 in terms of gameplay/story etc expect for graphics, or are you saying that the shadow of the colossus remake isnt one? Not only is the char models new, textures also seem to be better and it's most likely using the xb2 engine.

Fbh

Still seems like a larger update than your average remaster:

0uyadtcmonk31.png

But I hope it IS treated as a remaster. I was looking forward to their next project and a third version of Xenoblade 1 isn't what I had in mind. So I hope this was worked on by some sub team and their main development team has been working on something else.

Though if they improve the combat I might replay it

Last edited:
Even remakes can be 1:1 in terms of gameplay/story etc expect for graphics, or are you saying that the shadow of the colossus remake isnt one? Not only is the char models new, textures also seem to be better and it's most likely using the xb2 engine.

IT'S ALMOST LIKE I MENTIONED THAT IN THE OP

wtf ...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody said it was a remake man.

I mean, it is kind of a major release. A lot of people haven't played it and the franchise's stature has grown considerably after Xeno 2 was such a huge success.
Dude did you play her game?
46929.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member

A port. The same word that all these remasters should be called.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is Shadow of the Colossus considered remake? It still pretty much same game as PS2 version and even BluePoint using original code for PS4 version, so I would say XC DE is same way. Also I think they are using engine from Torna Golden Countery in XC2 DLC.

As why I consider it exciting release because I LOVED the original so I'm excited replay it with better character models and overall better visuals.

I'd say it is a enhanced remaster. Looks great. to those who have not played it: give it a try, it was in my opinion the best JRPG of the last decade.

Danjin44

From the onset of the announcement it looked like a texture upgrade. Definitely not an remake.
I don't know it's remake or not but they entirely change the character model and I'm pretty sure they are using new XC2 engine they used for Torna DLC.

to6cg3273ok31.jpg

Fbh

Are the battles awful, long and tedious in this like Xenoblade 2, or is this more fun to play?

Battles are about as long or a bit shorter (from what I remember) but the combat system as a whole is worse. With no blade swapping and customizing battle become more monotonous and every character has a strong assigned function that you'll just be doing over and over in every fight. Also the AI of your allies is terrible so much of the challenge feels like it's coming from your braindead team without much you can do. The hardest fight in the game for me was a boss that has you surrounded by some toxic water and my fucking party would insist on running into it (which killed them fast)

Is Shadow of the Colossus considered remake? It still pretty much same game as PS2 version and even BluePoint using original code for PS4 version, so I would say XC DE is same way. Also I think they are using engine from Torna Golden Countery in XC2 DLC.

As why I consider it exciting release because I LOVED the original so I'm excited replay it with better character models and overall better visuals.

I've personally never considered new content or altered gameplay to be a must for something to be considered a remake. For me "remake" is just a game being remade from the ground up while remaster is more of an enhanced port.

Remasters usually keep the quallity of the game but improving graphics or performance (SotC), outside of occasional stinkers like Silent Hill HD Colection.
But remaking a game can be hit or miss equally often.
And if the game is good, like the original XC is, why risking potentially destroying it with a remake?

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
It's a thin line between remaster and remake.

For me remaster nowadays are very much like the same game with upres textures and super minor adjustments.

Obviously we haven't seen much about it yet, but i hope here they modernize the UI a bit (which was fine but very in-line with the Wii style) and obviously the cut contents which are a big land, i hope they are tied to some new story rather than just more areas to explore with no significance.

I don’t know, did god of War remasters changed the characters models and entire engine? A typical remaster is increase resolution, cleaning up the visuals and running the game in higher FPS.

Danjin, you realize I'm not shitting on Xenoblade DE, do you? It's a day 1 mw for me.

But fanboys on the Internet just make too big of a deal of it under the false assumption that it's a remake with significant content additions, similar to Persona 5 The Royal. That's not the case.

2020 looks like utter shit atm 1st-party wise on Switch. Let's not lower our expectations. BotW2 shouldn't be the only big release this year for non-AC-fans.

It's a thin line between remaster and remake.

I respectfully disagree. A remaster is mostly a touched up version of a game while the core/essence remains virtually untouched, while remakes often have completely new assets, engine, effects, mechanics...I'd say a completely different and fresh feel to them. See Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, or Tomb Raider: Anniversary for example. Reimaginings go a step further by being different interpretations of established games altogether.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Danjin, you realize I'm not shitting on Xenoblade DE, do you? It's a day 1 mw for me.

But fanboys on the Internet just make too big of a deal of it under the false assumption that it's a remake with significant content additions, similar to Persona 5 The Royal. That's not the case.

2020 looks like utter shit atm 1st-party wise on Switch. Let's not lower our expectations. BotW2 shouldn't be the only big release this year for non-AC-fans.
Who says you are and Persona 5 Royal is neither remaster or remake, it basically "final mix" version, similar what we got with most KH series, its something Atlus always does.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
New models right.
I would say it's a me mario

Between remake and remaster

Last edited:

I have not played this game since the year it came out but loved the shit out of it. Hated the fact that it was down ported to the 3DS instead of going HD on the Wii U.

I imagine I'll think of it as a title worth at least 100 hours for me if I do not try to 100% it again with 300+ hours of New Game Plus. I don't remember every key point of the story so I'm good on that but this is the game that made me a Xenoblade fan.

What is up with the NintendoFanboys slur shit going on around here? Like that shit still exists?

Fellas, I think I have it figured out.

I was actually having this discussion about a week ago with a friend.

I think there's a scale of remaster to remake. A very large portion of remasters are usually increased resolution, some added graphical effects (ambient occlusion/better lighting, anti aliasing, better shadows etc) like Heavy Rain on PS4. Then you have the other side of the spectrum which would be something like the RE2 remake - a complete graphical overhaul, gameplay and story tweaks and changes, new voice acting and all kinds of other new shit.

Then you get games that fall somewhere in between like Shadow of the Colossus which completely redid the visuals but kept everything else pretty much the same.

If it were a 1-5 scale going from quick remaster to complete remake, this Xenoblade DE, from what we know, is probably around a 2.5-3 on my genius remaster/remake scale.

Bakkus

You might be right, but that begs the question of whether we have used the term 'remaster' correctly all these years. This game has remade character designs and world, various other games which are often called remasters like all the HD versions of various PS2/Xbox games did nothing but increase the resolution, and they're still called remasters. So it's completely unfair to put this side by side with the likes of the HD collections of Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, Ueda games, and Devil May Cry.

Last edited:

Danjin44

No, thats because the switch has no games. I haven’t bought one for a long while! What a disappointing console.
We got bunch games last year alone, just because it doesn’t appeal to you it doesn’t mean it has no games. In 2019 I bought more Switch exclusives than I did PS4 exclusives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom