• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSS prediction

XSS will be supported in the short term with next gen games.

When next gen games take off in 18 to 24 months and the XSS is left behind, it will become a streaming device.

Not streaming to your phone, no, no. It will stream next gen games to your living room on affordable hardware. Next gen games for 250 quid. Don't want to stream? By the XSX and play them locally.

IMO it's a pretty good idea. Wired connection, local hardware in a fixed spot means better latency than mobile and on the go.

What say you GAF, would you buy a piece of hardware that could stream 8k games to your living room, for free, via gamepass?

Tranquil

Nah I don't see this happening. It will just be a lower resolution next gen Xbox. It will be replaced at the end of the generation with something else.
Incorrect, MS has clearly stated they no longer believe in generations. The xbox series S will always be current. In 40 years I plan to still use my xbox series S. I trust in microsoft and their word.

Zoro7

Banned
Still think this console was a terrible idea. It will have an impact on game development regardless of what people say.
All so Microsoft can sell a few more Gamepass subscriptions.

Ozzie666

Microsoft will insist on supporting it for the length of the generation. Whatever positive or negative effects this has, they will live with either way.

scalman

lots people will sell for the price , but i wouldnt , because its so little money for many years forward that its not worth it. its like will you wanna buy new but cheapest phone for yourself or decent phone ?
i mean if you poor you dont go cheap.

Last edited:

skneogaf

If OP is concerned then OP should read the other threads where people have explained that the cpu is the same as is the ram and the ssd when you factor in the resolution and graphics settings the xbox series S will play games at.

OP isn't concerned but is wanting to keep everyone's narrative on track.

Tone down the personal attacks.
It could be that MS uses in the future some kind of streaming that potentiates the experience, but the Series S it's a next gen console in itself, it doesn't need any help to run the same next gen games at lower resolutions.

In 3 to 4 years time, all next gen consoles will be behind. Turning the xss in to a local streaming device is a perfect way to keep it at the cutting edge. I don't see why that's a problem?

Why not
Thanks OP for your “concern” about the xbox series s. Duly noted.
If OP is concerned then OP should read the other threads where people have explained that the cpu is the same as is the ram and the ssd when you factor in the resolution and graphics settings the xbox series S will play games at.

Another day another concern
What the fuck are you simps talking about. What concern you stupid numb cunts.

Read the op. This isn't fud I'm saying it's a good idea.

Fuck me, how do you people operate day to day? How have you fucking retard mong dick heads not choked on your own fork yet?

If there's anything I'm concerned about, it's that chimps really did learn how to type, but they're too busy shoving their own fingers up their arse that they didn't quite manage to crack Shakespeare.

You're a special kind of fucking retarded.

Nvidia have just dropped a monster gpu, now. Imagine where we will be in 2 to 3 years time. Even the ps5 and xsx will look like shit. So turning the lowest powered console, one that can't even do fucking 4k, in to a streaming device is perfect

The owner doesn't feel duped
They use gamepass (big win for MS) to stream from xcloud (big win for MS)
You own games on their server, locking you in to their eco system (a big win for MS)

Ohh but no, I must be concerned (what kind of fucking mong shit is that word anyway? Have the MS shills been given a new command order?)

DaGwaphics

I think they will always support local play on the box. You buy something for local play and then it gets switched, not the best look. Streaming may be the better way to play on XSS in the future (would support 4k without issue), but likely not the only way.

I think they will always support local play on the box. You buy something for local play and then it gets switched, not the best look. Streaming may be the better way to play on XSS in the future (would support 4k without issue), but likely not the only way.
XSS has no disc drive, so local play will always be digital. Xcloud looks like it will be a decent streaming service, will most casuals know the difference between digital and streaming for something like fifa?

Orta

Banned
The biggest handicap isn't the spec, its the digital only form factor. I'm quite confident it and the PS5 DE won't last the race. Both will be quietly phased out after a few short years.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

XSS has no disc drive, so local play will always be digital. Xcloud looks like it will be a decent streaming service, will most casuals know the difference between digital and streaming for something like fifa?

If they have great and very consistent internet, maybe not. In my experience, with just a basic US internet connection, the streaming services run fine (PSNow, I haven't tried Xcloud yet), but you will experience sudden latency spikes or loss in bit rate from time to time.

There were those rumors that XSS was capable of some kind of hybrid streaming approach with some aspects running locally along with the stream. I don't even know how that would or could function, but a lot of people were saying that in the beginning. Time will tell I guess.

GHG

What the fuck are you simps talking about. What concern you stupid numb cunts.

Read the op. This isn't fud I'm saying it's a good idea.

Fuck me, how do you people operate day to day? How have you fucking retard mong dick heads not choked on your own fork yet?

If there's anything I'm concerned about, it's that chimps really did learn how to type, but they're too busy shoving their own fingers up their arse that they didn't quite manage to crack Shakespeare.

Repeat after me:
  • It will be fine
  • $299
  • Nobody left behind
  • "held back" is a meme created by people caught up in device competition.
There is nothing else that needs to be said or thought about until volume 2 of the next gen recital handbook releases. In the meantime sit down, breathe and phill.

Last edited:
If they have great and very consistent internet, maybe not. In my experience, with just a basic US internet connection, the streaming services run fine (PSNow, I haven't tried Xcloud yet), but you will experience sudden latency spikes or loss in bit rate from time to time.

There were those rumors that XSS was capable of some kind of hybrid streaming approach with some aspects running locally along with the stream. I don't even know how that would or could function, but a lot of people were saying that in the beginning. Time will tell I guess.
That would be really cool tech wise, if not for me personally.

I think if anyone can nail streaming, Microsoft can. They have the expertise in this area so it will be interesting to see what happens

It's going to sell gang busters. I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 takes the 'higher' end market and the XSS mops up the casual base or those looking to upgrade from an xbone or xbone sad.

The leap from base Xbox one to XSS will be pretty big
Yup, but for PS4 / PRO it would be mostly about frame rate (maybe some RT effects in a few games?)... which many people claim not to feel for whatever reason.

But as you say, I think that the low price may make the machine an interesting buy for many people anyway, because it has the "next-gen" tag on it (however, you never know how this will play out in the general public, this could also come out as a fake-gen machine to the average joe, especially since it will have only cross gen games for a long while).

Yup, but for PS4 / PRO it would be mostly about frame rate (maybe some RT effects in a few games?)... which many people claim not to feel for whatever reason.

But as you say, I think that the low price may make the machine an interesting buy for many people anyway, because it has the "next-gen" tag on it (however, you never know how this will play out in the general public, this could also come out as a fake-gen machine to the average joe, especially since it will have only cross gen games for a long while).
Yeah it will be interesting to see.

It could go either way depending on the popular narrative. If the XSS is seen as powerful and cheap, it will sell well, if its seen as a cut-price, half arsed or underpowered machine for the poor, it may struggle to sell.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
My XsS prediction is that this thread will be posted about 400 more times before November

Rob_27

A generalisation borne of not reading the op

Original post was read, which sounds like a plan if the XSS doesn't perform as well as intended. I think it will. I'm getting annoyed with all the other general negativity that all threads have if its not playstation. Probably my wording could have been better.

Original post was read, which sounds like a plan if the XSS doesn't perform as well as intended. I think it will. I'm getting annoyed with all the other general negativity that all threads have if its not playstation. Probably my wording could have been better.
Then we are both at fault, I could have and should have of have had explained a little better.

It's not about the XSS under performing, quite the opposite. If it sells well, which in 2 or 3 years time it will be Wii-priced, MS can still offer the value proposition of cutting edge games, despite the tech being behind.

To clarify though, I think the ps5 and XSX will be out dated in 3 years. I believe the 'pro' versions of each console will almost be a new gen in terms of power leap.

Rob_27

I think it will sell very well. And could quite litterally explode in popularity as its a very attractive price.

There's so much we don't know about. I'm excited when we can get our hands on all the new hardware and the games are out for us to try.

GamerEDM

Banned

When next gen games take off in 18 to 24 months and the XSS is left behind, it will become a streaming device.

Not streaming to your phone, no, no. It will stream next gen games to your living room on affordable hardware. Next gen games for 250 quid. Don't want to stream? By the XSX and play them locally.

IMO it's a pretty good idea. Wired connection, local hardware in a fixed spot means better latency than mobile and on the go.

What say you GAF, would you buy a piece of hardware that could stream 8k games to your living room, for free, via gamepass?
Troll

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
I'm guessing MS banks on people's stupidity and shortsightedness. Buy an S only to find out in 3 years its a POS and upgrade to X.

Nah, I see it being supported the whole gen just like the OG Xbone.

What I suspect will happen with more demanding titles is that it will have sup 1080p resolutions. If Series X has a title it cant run at 4k, then 1080p may be a problem for this box.

Your probably going to see a similar delta between them as you did between the One S and One X. The One S had some titles that had low resolutions.

All in all, it will probably be fine. It is a budget console that is priced reasonably. I surely will not buy it, but I am sure there is an audience.

Vawn

Banned
These threads are just wishful thinking. The XSS will be the best selling Xbox and therefore will be supported for the next decade.

We are stuck with games being chained to this thing for a while unfortunately.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It'll drop to $199 or $249 in two years just as Microsoft starts delivering high quality exclusives and it'll sell like mad.

supernova8

Banned

I had a similar train of thought but my theory was that they would offer XSS owners an upgrade to XSX if they either continued their $24.99 payments (if they were on All-Access) or they took up a subscription to Game Pass plus $10 a month or something, or added $10 to their monthly payment if they were on Game Pass but had bought their XSS outright at the time.

Your idea is actually a nice round-off to my theory - I was saying people would be given an 'irresistible offer' to upgrade to XSX-level spec hardware, but I suppose yours fills in the missing blanks - if someone really doesn't want to upgrade to XSX they can continue paying for Game Pass only ($14.99 per month?) and use the XSS as an xCloud device.

It might turn out to be the case that both the XSS and XSX have some sort of built in hardware (ie dedicated processor?) to optimise decoding that stuff and also with latency.

Ignore the people calling it 'concern' - it's taking an inquisitive interest and that's cool.

Idiot. Learn to read and stop jumping at shadows. I'm a fan of all consoles and a little bit of pc
In this thread, the OP discovers that people will have varying opinions.

Varying opinions good. Not reading and throwing out stupid buzzwords, retarded as fuck.
I vote coordinated FUD, plotted and planned from the secret Sony Discord.
I vote you need medical help for paranoia if you think a genuinely interesting idea is automatically classed fud.

I've told you before in many posts that I've been an Xbox for 20 fucking years.
I'm guessing MS banks on people's stupidity and shortsightedness. Buy an S only to find out in 3 years its a POS and upgrade to X.
In 3 years all next gen consoles will be a pos. I didn't dream the 20+tf gpu card was just announced, right? Its affordable now, let alone in 3 years.
Nah, I see it being supported the whole gen just like the OG Xbone.

What I suspect will happen with more demanding titles is that it will have sup 1080p resolutions. If Series X has a title it cant run at 4k, then 1080p may be a problem for this box.

Your probably going to see a similar delta between them as you did between the One S and One X. The One S had some titles that had low resolutions.

All in all, it will probably be fine. It is a budget console that is priced reasonably. I surely will not buy it, but I am sure there is an audience.
It's a good console for the price. But I fully believe that streaming is only a small market on phones vs local hardware.

Look at the fire stick. It was the go to way to stream before Netflix launched on every device possible.

I had a similar train of thought but my theory was that they would offer XSS owners an upgrade to XSX if they either continued their $24.99 payments (if they were on All-Access) or they took up a subscription to Game Pass plus $10 a month or something, or added $10 to their monthly payment if they were on Game Pass but had bought their XSS outright at the time.

Your idea is actually a nice round-off to my theory - I was saying people would be given an 'irresistible offer' to upgrade to XSX-level spec hardware, but I suppose yours fills in the missing blanks - if someone really doesn't want to upgrade to XSX they can continue paying for Game Pass only ($14.99 per month?) and use the XSS as an xCloud device.

It might turn out to be the case that both the XSS and XSX have some sort of built in hardware (ie dedicated processor?) to optimise decoding that stuff and also with latency.

Ignore the people calling it 'concern' - it's taking an inquisitive interest and that's cool.
Your idea is fucking genius. Free upgrade to keep paying the all in cost. Microsoft keep people in their ecosystem, still get their payments and rake in the subs on gamepass. Genius

supernova8

Banned
Your idea is fucking genius. Free upgrade to keep paying the all in cost. Microsoft keep people in their ecosystem, still get their payments and rake in the subs on gamepass. Genius

I'm definitely an evil mastermind but your streaming option is something I wish I'd thought of :p

I was approaching it from the stance of - Microsoft wants you to keep them as much money as possible monthly, those boxes are only going to get cheaper to produce over time, so the longer they can have you paying the higher their margins become.

Your idea is the end-game because as you probably figured, they don't really want to sell you a box (unless they can make a profit on it), they'd rather just sell you the services.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I vote you need medical help for paranoia if you think a genuinely interesting idea is automatically classed fud.

I vote YOU are the one that needs medical help if you're too angry and overwrought over people disagreeing with you that you can't see it's a joke, playing to the Sony crowd constantly crying about the secret Xbox Discord plotting and planning against Mother Sony.

Last edited:
Top Bottom