• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSS prediction

I'm definitely an evil mastermind but your streaming option is something I wish I'd thought of :p

I was approaching it from the stance of - Microsoft wants you to keep them as much money as possible monthly, those boxes are only going to get cheaper to produce over time, so the longer they can have you paying the higher their margins become.

Your idea is the end-game because as you probably figured, they don't really want to sell you a box (unless they can make a profit on it), they'd rather just sell you the services.
A little streaming box with everything in it; Netflix, hbo, gamepass, EA access etc(all in one entertainment system and 100% digital) would sell gang busters.

Consider how cheap it will be to make in 2 years time. It could be the Wii of the streaming world.

I vote YOU are the one that needs medical help if you're too angry and overwrought over people disagreeing with you that you can't see it's a joke, playing to the Sony crowd constantly crying about the secret Xbox Discord plotting and planning against Mother Sony.
I'm not angry at opinions, I'm angry that people don't read the op and offer no conversation or input other than "ergh mux eggzboggz getttin attacked" when that is the last thing that's happening.

Playing to the Sony crowd? Are you high?

Ill confess, I've no idea what discord is. I've seen people talk about it, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you what it is. A streaming service, a flavour of ice cream, a mobile phone? Not a clue.

Anyway, bring on disagreements and offering ideas, that's the fun of forums. Not reading tweet style bollox

93xfan

Banned
for one, you wouldn’t need something as powerful as the Series S to stream games.

the bigger issue is bandwidth caps and the assumption that everyone has a network they can stream.

This idea doesn’t work at all.

Last edited:
for one, you wouldn’t need something as powerful as the Series S to stream games.

the bigger issue is bandwidth caps and the assumption that everyone has a network they can stream.
This idea doesn’t work at all.
You don't, but the added bonus of the S is that you can play some games locally, streaming is an option.

I don't want streaming, i think it's a bad move for the industry, worst than DLC, Season passes, P2W, MTX. But, some people do and some people will have the internet to do it and if anyone can pull it off, Microsoft can. In the streaming of games, they are, by far, hands-down, the most experienced company to deliver it.

One thing is for sure, whether we like it not, streaming is coming.

93xfan

Banned
Nah, I see it being supported the whole gen just like the OG Xbone.

What I suspect will happen with more demanding titles is that it will have sup 1080p resolutions. If Series X has a title it cant run at 4k, then 1080p may be a problem for this box.

Your probably going to see a similar delta between them as you did between the One S and One X. The One S had some titles that had low resolutions.

All in all, it will probably be fine. It is a budget console that is priced reasonably. I surely will not buy it, but I am sure there is an audience.

They can also tone down shadow quality, LoD, etc.

If all else fails, the game may have to be 30FPS on the XSS

XSS will be supported in the short term with next gen games.

When next gen games take off in 18 to 24 months and the XSS is left behind, it will become a streaming device.

Not streaming to your phone, no, no. It will stream next gen games to your living room on affordable hardware. Next gen games for 250 quid. Don't want to stream? By the XSX and play them locally.

IMO it's a pretty good idea. Wired connection, local hardware in a fixed spot means better latency than mobile and on the go.

What say you GAF, would you buy a piece of hardware that could stream 8k games to your living room, for free, via gamepass?

Imagine stating something like this as fact and then calling people in your dumbass thread retards.

Great job!

Imagine stating something like this as fact and then calling people in your dumbass thread retards.

Great job!
I never said it was a fact. if you read the title "XSS prediction" it tells you everything you need to know.

It will get left behind, just like the NES got left behind or the Iphone4 got left behind, or the horse and cart etc etc.

Microsoft isn't immune to technology increases just because it's Microsoft. Tech moves quick, as Nvidia have brutally proven this month

Last edited:
No shit it will be left behind just like everything else, so did the SNES replace the NES 18 months after launch? Predicting that a new console with the same cpu as high end version and memory scaled down for it's target resolutiions will be "left behind" and reduced to a streaming box in 18 months is a pretty fucking stupid prediction but keep on believing. This is especially bad if you consider that the USA is obviously MS's most important market and internet service here is not going to be ready for streaming in place outside of major metro areas for years and years.

No shit it will be left behind just like everything else, so did the SNES replace the NES 18 months after launch? Predicting that a new console with the same cpu as high end version and memory scaled down for it's target resolutiions will be "left behind" and reduced to a streaming box in 18 months is a pretty fucking stupid prediction but keep on believing. This is especially bad if you consider that the USA is obviously MS's most important market and internet service here is not going to be ready for streaming in place outside of major metro areas for years and years.
I think we're getting hung up on the 'left behind' bit.

The XSS will be the lowest common denominator, in the same way that my old GTX970 will soon be a dinosaur.

Your comparison of high end cpu is now, right now, today. Not in 18 months. In the space of 3 month, we have gone from the XSX being an unbelievably powerful, cutting edge tech, to middle of the road, thanks to Nvidia. Do you tink AMD will sit on arse for 3 years or will they compete? When they do, Ps5, XSX and XSS will be left in the dust.

Now, on to streaming. We all know that it will happen, we all know it's coming. Why? Well, because Microsoft are really good at giving us a heads up on their strategy, years in advance. Peter Moore during the 360 days wanted the xbox to be the centre of the living room, an all in one entertainment box (sound familiar? it should, that was the vision of the xbone) then Microsoft wanted a daily check in online, no used games, games tied to your account and no-one elses. Aside from the very last point, gamepass ticks all of those boxes. Streaming just goes one step further, as Microsoft will be able to put Gamepass on any device that can use a control pad.

But wait. Why put Gamepass on a Tv or Firestick and lose out on revenue, when Microsoft can sell you affordable hardware that will be able to play most content at a lowered resolution/framerate? Well, why not offer that affordable piece of kit, with lowered spec games AND offer the option to play the cutting edge of games, with all the bells and whistles, via streaming? MS rakes in money from subs and usage of Azure, while competing in the server space against Amazon's jungle of servers. Remember the Sony and MS agreement? Sony know MS is their best competition, which is why they backed them over Amazon, when it came to putting PSN on servers.

Finally, the internet. Yes, you Yanks have it shit internet wise. Land of the free apart from the internet cap. However, 5G is just around the corner, how will that look in 2-3 years time? Which companies or technologies will rise and fall between that time?

I remember, 20 years ago, it cost me 10p to send a text message on my phone. It cost me to make a phone call because i was using 'data' and services. Nowadays? I can use my wifi, whatsapp and Facetime to send messages and make phone calls for free*. Or i can use 4g which is exponentially cheaper than 10p per text.

In summary; Cheap as chips hardware gives you the option of playing locally at low res/frame rate, or you can play 4k/120fps Via streaming, which is more financially beneficial to MS. You are locked in to their ecosystem, MS kill the used game market, take 100% of the profit through Gamepass, sell subscriptions (Satya is happy) and you're using their servers over Amazon's, taking market share away from them.

And you say my prediction is fucking retarded? While you're free to disagree, to do so you must ignore the last 30 years of console gaming and its' direction in to the mainstream and living room.

Well, if you think that one was retarded, try this one on for size; Console gaming will split in to three sectors; Local hardware + handhelds which will be the bottom rung of horse-power, VR standalone which will become the niche for enthusiast gamers (it will eventually break in to casual territory but not for 10+ years) and streaming, which will occupy the highest end of tech. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. While there will be some 'Venn' overlap, these will be the three main stays. PC gaming will do all three.

VAVA Mk2

XSS will be supported in the short term with next gen games.

When next gen games take off in 18 to 24 months and the XSS is left behind, it will become a streaming device.

Not streaming to your phone, no, no. It will stream next gen games to your living room on affordable hardware. Next gen games for 250 quid. Don't want to stream? By the XSX and play them locally.

IMO it's a pretty good idea. Wired connection, local hardware in a fixed spot means better latency than mobile and on the go.

What say you GAF, would you buy a piece of hardware that could stream 8k games to your living room, for free, via gamepass?

jTV0Aop.jpg

GHG

I vote YOU are the one that needs medical help if you're too angry and overwrought over people disagreeing with you that you can't see it's a joke, playing to the Sony crowd constantly crying about the secret Xbox Discord plotting and planning against Mother Sony.

Did you just assume Sony's gender?

Aidah

Related, do you think devs are forced to support Series S, or do you think it could be optional?

I'd guess they are forced to, but it would be cool if it was optional.

reforen

If the PS5 DE is more expensive than the XSS it will do great, the CoD, FIFA, Fortnite, Apex players will get that console. There are more people that play casual/mainstream MP games than the ones those play SP games

Top Bottom