• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

IrishNinja

Aselith - promo is all launch week (next week), but as I understand it, it's in-store only. Last i checked Kmart's site, they didn't even list the game.

Aselith

Well, I wanted to just perorder it so that I could be sure I'd get the Yakuza 3 but I guess we'll see what happens. Shouldn't be too bad. Yakuza isn't exactly a hot item and my Kmart is usually pretty well stocked.

watkinzez

I've played through all three games, but 3 was the one that clicked for me. Did every sidequest I could find and sunk 30 hours it... and still only ended up with 25% completion. Despite me having about seven games in the mail (and most of them being beefy RPGs), this one is top priority. Hope it lives up to the hype as the best story of the series.

randomwab

I've preordered this, but just realised that I still haven't finished Yakuza 3. The first two games I bought and poop socked in a weekend and I had planned to do the same for 3, but I got distracted with side-quests and never finished. Think I'll quickly wrap it up at the weekend and forget about the rest of the side-quests.

randomwab said:
I've preordered this, but just realised that I still haven't finished Yakuza 3. The first two games I bought and poop socked in a weekend and I had planned to do the same for 3, but I got distracted with side-quests and never finished. Think I'll quickly wrap it up at the weekend and forget about the rest of the side-quests.

Bwuh?

randomwab

RadioHeadAche said:

Ahaha, I didn't literally attach a sock to my ass for pooping, I just meant I sat there all weekend and completed each game. Not in the same weekend, though. Still, once I started each, I couldn't put the controller down. I was the same for the half that I've played of Y3, but as I recall, my car broke down and I got distracted with other stuff and never ended up getting back to it.

raebodep

CartridgeBlower said:
I found Y3 to be far too easy on the default setting, and regretted not starting over on Hard.

Is Y4 similar in terms of default difficulty? Should I bump to hard?

I'm curious about this myself. I would rather play on hard first if it's similar to yakuza 3

randomwab said:
Ahaha, I didn't literally attach a sock to my ass for pooping, I just meant I sat there all weekend and completed each game. Not in the same weekend, though. Still, once I started each, I couldn't put the controller down. I was the same for the half that I've played of Y3, but as I recall, my car broke down and I got distracted with other stuff and never ended up getting back to it.

Of course you didn't, but I was just thrown off by that phrase. I don't think I've ever seen someone use that one before.

Vlodril

I'm curious about this myself. I would rather play on hard first if it's similar to yakuza 3

Same for me. Game was too easy on normal i felt afterwards that it robbed something of the experience.

Normally I don't buy avatars, but I made an exception for Yakuza 4 to show my support. I'm glad this game gets more coverage than Yakuza 3, Sega seems to have faith in this one.

hamchan

CosmicGroinPull said:
Ungimped? Nice. Will be getting this then. Skipped 2 because my PS2's dead, and 3...yeah.

Pffffft 3 is still a great game. It should be super cheap now as well which is well worth it considering the game is absolutely packed with content even with the cuts. So, go buy i guess?

Larsen B

Despite buying Y3 at launch, I've been a little cold on buying this Day 1. I never play them straight away and the price always drops by 3/4 by the time I do.

Still I just pre-ordered the Steelbook.

You'd better bring Of The End to the West, Sega!

buhdeh said:
Does anyone who has played the Japanese version know if the story is more interesting in 4 than in 3?

I really enjoyed 3, but 4 is better is almost every way, especially if you weren't a fan of the orphanage stuff. The new playable characters in 4 are all great to play as an make a welcome change from Kazuma.

CartridgeBlower said:

I remember it being similar to the previous Yakuza games in terms of default difficulty but, without going into spoilers, there's a lengthy fight near the end that I imagine would have been pretty hard and/or frustrating had I been playing on one of the higher difficulties.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Even though I fucking love the box art, I'm not gonna be buying this day 1, at least not within the first few weeks. But also because no one's doing any sort of special preorder bonus that warrants my attention.

Sorry, Sega. You gone done well, but you'll have to wait before taking my money for a while.

Fuck yeah, nice OP!

I think I will need to get the Steelbook edition. My Y3 playthrough was not so long ago and I'm hyped.

Why doesn't this game have more fans on GAF? The only time Yakuza gets sensationalist attention is when they cut content.

Tizoc

CartridgeBlower said:
I found Y3 to be far too easy on the default setting, and regretted not starting over on Hard.

Man I remember Y3's hard mode, bosses were a bitch to beat at times.

I absolutely hated 90% of 3 with all of that babysitting bollocks, so I hope this is much better.

Renting before buying this time though.

I never cared about the cut content, I'm a main story guy. I just blast through the main missions.

kiryogi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I absolutely hated 90% of 3 with all of that babysitting bollocks, so I hope this is much better.

Renting before buying this time though.

I never cared about the cut content, I'm a main story guy. I just blast through the main missions.

This time you'll be forced to groom a hostess! ho ho ho. Probably part of why they didn't remove it this time around. It's part of main story :p

schennmu said:
Thx. Still looking for a cheap source for the Kuro edition. Zavvi, Shopto, etc. all only have the standard edition.
It looks like SEGA only ships one specific edition per country. You can't pre-order the standard edition anywhere in Germany even if you wanted to -- it's all Kuro. UK shops on the other hand don't seem offer the Kuro edition at all.
And we're only a few days away from release. I don't think that'll change.

slaughterking said:
It looks like SEGA only ships one specific edition per country. You can't pre-order the standard edition anywhere in Germany even if you wanted to -- it's all Kuro. UK shops on the other hand don't seem offer the Kuro edition at all.
And we're only a few days away from release. I don't think that'll change.

Thx for the info. I'll just walk into a shop or use amazon then.

Larsen B

Game are selling the Kuro edition in the UK (I think it might be exclusive) but it's £10 more than the regular elsewhere.

Withnail

I loved Yakuza 3 enough to get the platinum trophy but I was going to pass on Y4 for the time being because I need to reduce the amount of money I'm spending on games. However after trying the Y4 demo on PSN I realised how much I want to go back to Kamurocho and those characters again and had placed a preorder within minutes. Now I can't fricking wait!

SaitoH

semiconscious said:
just canceled & moved my preorder to amazon because of this (hell, gamestop.ca doesn't even list the damn game?!)...

Futureshop, amazon, EB.com, etc. all say the 15th. I'm going to bug them again at lunch.

matmanx1

YAY! It's one of my favorite game series ever returning for another seemingly excellent session. Next week is going to be pretty epic!

kiryogi said:
This time you'll be forced to groom a hostess! ho ho ho. Probably part of why they didn't remove it this time around. It's part of main story :p
Er, yeah, I'm not going to read a spoiler that isn't labelled...

depths20XX

Finished 3 a month or so ago. Looking forward to this one and it's great that we get the full game this time.

I probably would have done every sidequest on 3 but the random battles start to become really annoying, especially since they give almost zero experience at that point in the game.

Meier

I loved the original but never got around to Yakuza 3. The K-Mart deal sounds like a bargain.. was 3 bad or just neutered?

Alucrid

Banned
I played three got kinda bored and sold it. I might pick this up...it probably has a recap of 3, right? For some reason I thought this would be the zombie one.

hamchan

Meier said:
I loved the original but never got around to Yakuza 3. The K-Mart deal sounds like a bargain.. was 3 bad or just neutered?

Just neutered, still a good game.

depths20XX said:
Finished 3 a month or so ago. Looking forward to this one and it's great that we get the full game this time.

I probably would have done every sidequest on 3 but the random battles start to become really annoying, especially since they give almost zero experience at that point in the game.

You need to learn the art of identifying the guys who will start random battles and running away from them!

Alucrid said:
I played three got kinda bored and sold it. I might pick this up...it probably has a recap of 3, right? For some reason I thought this would be the zombie one.

Yep, recaps for 1 to 3.

LiK

Meier said:
Y3 was great. The main story was intact. Only the hostesses and a few sidequests were taken out. But it was still awesome and the localization was excellent.

Top Bottom