• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 |OT| Welcome back, hostess bars & proper boxart!

atomsk

Party Pooper
paid in full.

doesn't matter what game I'm currently in the middle of when it comes out, I'm dropping everything to play this.

GeoramA

Nice OP. Goddamn I'm so psyched for this. Since we're getting Yakuza games annually, it feels like a new season premiere for an awesome tv show is about to start.

Oh yeah, they put up Yakuza 4 avatars up on the US store if you missed it:

2zef51j.png

And Amazon has release day shipping if you missed that too.

Day 1. Beat 3 a year ago and I am getting the yearly Yakuza itch once again. I am so happy that the wait for 4 has been pretty quick. This is one series that I can buy every year because there is nothing else on the market that is quite like this series.

Aurelius

Day one for me. Played Yakuza 3 last month but skipped most of the side stuff since I knew Yakuza 4 was incoming and uncut.

LiK

Aurelius said:
Day one for me. Played Yakuza 3 last month but skipped most of the side stuff since I knew Yakuza 4 was incoming and uncut.
Some of the side stuff is pretty hilarious. I did them all. The one where you're in a samurai movie was great.

Malajax

Noisepurge said:
Even Yakuza 2 had the mahjong, it was really sad to see it go in 3. It's available again since there is even a trophy related to it :p

Nice. I might go pick up 2 as well. Heard it had awesome moments like punching tigers in their faces!

I've beaten Yakuza 1 & 2, but haven't completed Yakuza 3 yet. I should probably get around to doing that before I pick the new game up. But I will definitely be picking it up eventually.

I really enjoy this series and still hope that one day we'll get Kenzan.
Though I should probably give up hope on a Kenzan localization and just try playing that with a translation guide.

Larsen B

I loved the orphanage stuff in 3 and the side-missions are mainly why I play Yakuza games! Certainly far more so than the hostess stuff.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yeah I'm probably one of the few who enjoyed the Orphanage stuff as well.

Already payed for my steel box in full. Cant wait!

LiK

Larsen B said:
I loved the orphanage stuff in 3 and the side-missions are mainly why I play Yakuza games! Certainly far more so than the hostess stuff.
I love there's always development with the sidequests. You keep meeting the same NPCs throughout the series and see the results of your deeds from one game to the next. Great lil inside jokes.

The orphanage stuff was great cuz it reminded me of watching a Japanese TV drama.

Tizoc

To those that have played the JP ver. of Yakuza 4, is there a special finisher where Kazuma or any of the other characters grabs the enemy and tosses over a bridge or the like? That's one of my fav. Finishers in Y3 when in Okinawa XD

I sort of enjoyed the Orphanage stuff, too. Not as much as later parts of the game but it was nice to see this side of Kazuma and I liked the calm "everyday"-tone of these episodes.

Also, Yakuza 4 is preordered, looking forward to this game! I am currently playing through 3 for hyping myself up - bought it day 1 back then but didn't bother playing since I was too disapointed with the missing stuff (mainly bought it since I wanted later parts translated and UNCUT again). Despite the missing things, it's still a very enjoyable game!

LiK said:
Some of the side stuff is pretty hilarious. I did them all. The one where you're in a samurai movie was great.

Can't wait for the 4th one so i started playing the third one again a few days ago. Did that substory last night. Seeing set workers faces after they saw Kazuma' s tattoo was so funny.

GeoramA

linsivvi said:
Speak for yourself.. I got plat on Yakuza 3, JP version even.

I feel like a loser. LOL.
Nah, you just have a lot more patience than other people. Getting all the mini-game trophies had to be a bitch.

Angry Fork

Question for veteran Yakuza players. Yakuza 3 was my first one and I really liked it a lot. I was surprised because I didn't really like the demo but I decided to blind buy the game when it came down in price and it really grew on me.

Anyway I'm thinking of getting 4 but do they change/add stuff to the setting at all? Like any new environment/cities? I don't necessarily mind if it's the same thing as Yakuza 3 but it's still a little disappointing since it would be cool to see new area's of Japan/Tokyo and stuff. I cared more about the story and environment/atmosphere of the game rather than the gameplay/fighting.

Malajax said:
Nice. I might go pick up 2 as well. Heard it had awesome moments like punching tigers in their faces!

Do it, best in the series!

Angry Fork said:
Question for veteran Yakuza players. Yakuza 3 was my first one and I really liked it a lot. I was surprised because I didn't really like the demo but I decided to blind buy the game when it came down in price and it really grew on me.

Anyway I'm thinking of getting 4 but do they change/add stuff to the setting at all? Like any new environment/cities? I don't necessarily mind if it's the same thing as Yakuza 3 but it's still a little disappointing since it would be cool to see new area's of Japan/Tokyo and stuff. I cared more about the story and environment/atmosphere of the game rather than the gameplay/fighting.

The usual Yakuza rule is "Kamurochu + a new city and other new settings"

I doubt it's different with Y4.

Mikhal

I don't think Yakuza 4 actually has a new city this time. But they've expanded Kamurocho to be less "flat" so you can go on rooftops and even go underground this time.

semiconscious

Gold Member
BentMyWookiee said:
I really enjoy this series and still hope that one day we'll get Kenzan.
Though I should probably give up hope on a Kenzan localization and just try playing that with a translation guide.

just do it! - my favorite yakuza game, despite having to use a faq :) ...

Man I was going to get this day one but now since the EA store charged me double for something and I cant get a refund unless i return it im going to have to skip out on this, =[ I hate the EA Store so much.

Kazzy

I cannot wait for this.

Put a lot of time into Yakuza 3, I tried to get all the trophies but stopped but when I had the batting cages to do, ridiculous to say the least!

I really like the Limited Edition box art.

watkinzez

SonicBoom said:
how would you guys rate the games in the series?

2>3>1
2 introduced a lock-on system, making a massive difference in combat. The lack of that in the original plus the dub brings that game down, and 3 has some pacing issues.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Buying this day 1, no doubt. Can't actually play it until like day 5 or so, because I'm gonna be on Spring Break, away from my setup :(

Meier

watkinzez said:
2>3>1
2 introduced a lock-on system, making a massive difference in combat. The lack of that in the original plus the dub brings that game down, and 3 has some pacing issues.
The dub was a highpoint! So FUCKING (said in Yakuza/RGG style) funny!

SonicBoom said:
how would you guys rate the games in the series?

In my opinion (I don't seem to be alone) 2 > 3 > 1:

Yakuza 1: Great story and great characters, good music, poor combat and loading times.
Yakuza 2: Good story and good characters, best music variety, improved combat, best locations, Tiger Punch.
Yakuza 3: Best combat, good music, weakest story so far.

androvsky

Personally, I think Kaoru Sayama beats tiger punching and transforming castles. :) So yeah, Yakuza 2 had a lot going for it.

Wazzim

Banned
Fuck, coming this month already in EU land? I thought it was April/May...I already have some other games in order, might miss out on this one this month T_T

Top Bottom