• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Creator Toshihiro Nagoshi Say’s Nintendo Hardware is For Kids and Teens

Br6zpUe.jpg

Romulus

I agree, as a Nintendo fan I just can't bother with their hardware. I miss the days of being able to play AAA Nintendo exclusives on powerful machine. There's PC emulation luckily for Switch, but it sucks that Nintendo devs are forced to use the cell-shaded or cartoony style, or else it'll look like shit.

Woopah

He's incorrect (in the last data we had 69 percent of Switch owners were 25 or over) but this is not surprising at all. Nagoshi's views on Switch have been suspected for a while.

I wouldn't expect many Switch games from him anytime soon (apart from maybe Monkey Ball).

Edit: Ok reading the full quote does make things better, but I still think Nagoshi games won't come to Switch very much.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Let's be honest, it's mostly lonely adults playing Animal Crossing during lockdown.

IMO this is valid for all gaming. Most adults I know don't game.
I've experienced the opposite of this. I guess the profile would be a 30-45yr-old work-a-holic who doesn't have children and spends their time perusing instagram and tinder?

-Arcadia-

Banned
uDo39hR.jpg

Most games anywhere are pretty youthful. A power fantasy about ripping demon heads open, isn’t that much different than an italian plumber exploring colorful worlds, in terms of overall maturity. I’d think they were all for kids, teens, and college students, to varying extents.

Even more traditional mediums. Probably the most celebrated TV show in the world right now, is about a big future suit of armor and his puppet son taking on a man with a black laser sword.

It tends to be a matter of how much pretense you add to your immature entertainment of choice.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with this. As long as you don’t become a bugman and live in fantasy worlds designed for children all the time, to the point where you base your politics and ideas on them, lol, borrowing that entertainment can be a fun, recharging break from the often dismal reality of an adult.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
if he bothered to pay attention to the demographics buying the hardware then he might realise that his opinion is off and not reflective of the market. Hell, even from the outset the early adopters were primarily mid-twenties plus with recent years showing an uptick in older demographics. taking to the hardware.

So, it's less a statement of objective fact and more one of his own personal views... but it no doubt aligns with the segment of the market he aims his titles towards.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I dont think he is that wrong, but Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank with 70 million or so Switches sold.

As well don't forget something like Ring Fit which has been a pretty big succsess and I am sure that its not kids and teens buying it, but yes probably more non traditional gamers picking it up.

The real question is whats worse making a system that makes a shit ton of money attracting a younger audience, or a bunch of man babies and adults who still obsesses and spent 100s of hours and thousands of dollars on what is essentially a children's hobby?

Check mate

(ducks all the rotten produce thrown at me for that last comment)

Pallas

They did port the original Yakuza 1 & 2 game to the Wii U in Japan only but it sold pretty bad.

EDIT: Not saying he’s wrong, just thought it was funny with certain anime games that didn’t get censored compared to their PS4 counterpart.

Last edited:
uDo39hR.jpg

Most games anywhere are pretty youthful. A power fantasy about ripping demon heads open, isn’t that much different than an italian plumber exploring colorful worlds, in terms of overall maturity. I’d think they were all for kids, teens, and college students, to varying extents.

Even more traditional mediums. Probably the most celebrated TV show in the world right now, is about a big future suit of armor and his puppet son taking on a man with a black laser sword.

It tends to be a matter of how much pretense you add to your immature entertainment of choice.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with this. As long as you don’t become a bugman and live in fantasy worlds designed for children all the time, to the point where you base your politics and ideas on them, lol, borrowing that entertainment can be a fun, recharging break from the often dismal reality of an adult.
jAiJNqE.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its built for a Japanese audience, which tends to be smaller. tbh im a smaller man, so i like the joycons a lot. the big ass Dualsense and Xbox controllers are rad but also huge and make my hands hurt after some time. lol cos im getting old.

Switch formfactor is going for a complete opposite thing of the other consoles. it's trying to be almost inivisible, low impact, seamlessly integrated into your life. my PS5 on the other hand is a futuristic monolith. yes it plays 4k60fps games but on the whole they are nowhere near as polished as Nintendo's offerings.

i like having both =)

Considering Nagoshi's quote is related to a question about putting Super Monkey Ball on the Gamecube, the article's take is a borderline example of manufacturing news. Regardless, I appreciate the site at least linking to the video, since I knew SEGA was supposed to be posting an interview with Nagoshi; it'll be something to watch later.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-31%20at%2015_08_06.png

The survey isn't technically wrong, but the results could be misleading. In my household, the Nintendo account is associated with me (the parent) and I'm the one who had the "strongest" desire to purchase the Switch for my kids. So the results would've counted me in the 35-44 category, but in reality it is my kids who use the Switch most frequently. I imagine a lot of other households are similar, where the the parents wanted to purchase the Switch for their kids, and the Nintendo account is registered to the parent.

Last edited:

tassletine

And how old are these kids he speaks of? I’m not sure if he’s noticed but a great swathe of the public are socially retarded, including myself.

Top Bottom