• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Creator Toshihiro Nagoshi Say’s Nintendo Hardware is For Kids and Teens

xiskza

7028462270f5d441e1ccd093d7616d2b.gif

GeorgPrime

Banned

LOL

The salt from Nintendo fans on Twitter is enough to salt my driveway.

Thats just his excuse to avoid selling one or two million more copies of Yakuza 0

jufonuk

not tag worthy

LOL

The salt from Nintendo fans on Twitter is enough to salt my driveway.
cool well when Wednesday comes you can be picky, until then you might want to help your company hang on that bit longer.

or Not meh..

TLZ

Banned
That's exactly Nintendo's strategy though. It is why/what families feel safe buying for their kids.

I don't get the salt. Probably coming from insecure manbabies. It's mostly aimed at kids/teens. It doesn't mean adults can't enjoy them. And it doesn't mean adults who have them who enjoy them are kids. Lol. Calm your tits will you. You're not being labeled here. He's not talking about you.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I tend to agree with him, the sad thing though is that there are plenty of 40 year olds out there playing pokemon. Nintendo is very good at what is does though, which is get people to buy the same 5-6 games over and over.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I don't know what kind of people you guys hang out with or if they're all over 60 but in 2018, gamers accounted for 66% of the general U.S. population. If you take away babies and elderly you're probably over 90%.
First, I'm not from the US. A lot of people are also not from the US and habits may be different. I also don't know anyone my age who plays games on a regular basis and spends large amounts on the hobby.

Secondly, what is a "gamer"? Someone who occasionally plays poker on their phone? Someone with a console or a PC? I don't consider these the same at all. These statistics always need to be read with knowledge of their limitations in mind.

martino

What i see is him doing low level teenage targeting marketing
Or is he still using teenager poor logic and arguement ? (let's hope it's first)
Ether way it's not a good mean to make actual adult taking interest to his work

Klayzer

I never understand why people get upset by this. What's wrong with going after the kids and teens market? I guess it might upset adults who are still in touch with their younger self perhaps but can't quite bring themselves to admit it. I am and have no problem with that.
A kids and teen market is the most lucrative market in my opinion. There's almost an inexhaustible amount of both. Plus, when those teens become adults, they buy the same stuff they had as teens for their kids.

Nintendo is playing the long game with its IPs and marketing. People can make fun of Nintendo all you want, but I can see a scenario of them being the last console maker standing in the future. You never see budgets that encroaches on their profitability as a developer.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
That stealth gaming on their phones/tablets/laptops/PCs though ;)
I suspect that number is inflated dramatically based on mobile usage. Not sure how to interpret that because clearly there different levels of hardware commitments involved.

lachesis

Nagoshi is right. Nintendo is for kids and teens, and we all have kids and teens in our heart.
That's why even when we grow up and become adults, we buy a Nintendo console and games to our kids. Well, at least I did.

I was an MSX fan, then later Sega fan from my childhood & teenage, but I always respected and also enjoyed Nintendo games and their consoles for what they are. When I play Super Mario or Zelda, I don't look for something life changing philosophical lesson of certain tragedy in life and drama, but sheer fun from my own childhood, and imaginary adventures I used to have in my own head. And more often than not, that's just good enough - and if there's any company truly understand the "essence" of playing in videogame - I think Nintendo is one of them, especially considering their "consistency" of delivering such experience.

And such universal appeal of their console/game is their weakness for some people, but at the same time - I think it's their greatest asset.
Look at the current console market in Japan for example: Console market itself is sinking steadily - but Nintendo isn't - even in this day and age of smartphones. Laughable gfx of DS didn't hurt them at all. More powerful PSP, Vita didn't hurt them at all. While we all fight for 4k 120hz, sub 720p Switch is moping the floor with both Sony and MS combined. I think it's just a fact that gamers may grow out of Nintendo, but they'll just buy Nintendo for their kids... as many will think of Nintendo as their starting point in videogaming, period.

killatopak

It’s true though.

Not in a demeaning way but simply put it’s their target market.

You don’t go watching on a normal cartoon channel to look for Adult Swim content.

As an adult, I can still very much enjoy cartoon catered to kids and teens.

Last edited:

Lethal01

But I thought female gamers were 50% of the gaming population?

Have I been lied by the respected gaming media?

We get it, you hate women, give it a rest.

I never understand why people get upset by this. What's wrong with going after the kids and teens market?

The only issue is it's just not true, Xbox is statistically far more kid-focused than Nintendo, he is stating that Nintendo is hardware with an audience that is mostly children as a reason his "mature" game isn't being ported to it.

But as has already been pointed out it has a larger adult audience than the console he is bring it to. It also had a library with jus as many games aimed at adults as it's competitors.

If he were saying that Nintendo's first party games are made with kids in mind sure, but he is talking about the hardware itself, so his statements are just factually wrong.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
He's as wrong as GAF is/was about the switch. The majority of GAF are getting antsy because the switch is going to outsell their "beast" quite easily when they thought it would be a complete flop.

People like good games. Nintendo deliver on that probably better than anyone else. They rarely release a bad or even mediocre game. They're just not cinematic enough for GAF, and don't have enough hand holding or slow walking sections.

Hudo

So if Nintendo is for children and teens, then Sony is for people who like to watch movies and Xbox is for ?

Reallink

I would argue he's both wrong and right. Switch primarily appeals to kids, casuals, and lapsed gamer boomers in their 30's and 40's who don't have the time or energy to play anything but the miserable mobile device that's already sitting on the coffee table. I don't think Switch any Nintendo properties appeal to the present day teens to mid-20's demographic, particularly males.

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

I tend to agree with him, the sad thing though is that there are plenty of 40 year olds out there playing pokemon. Nintendo is very good at what is does though, which is get people to buy the same 5-6 games over and over.
So wait you think you are above people playing pokemon games(didnt know videogames had a hard out on age?) judge them for it and then throw in a completely absurd comment about Nintendo games which are empirically proven to be the most critically acclaimed in the industry

The projection in this post, why cant people play what they want, you do know they are all electronic/digital toys right?

Top Bottom