• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Yasumi Matsuno is no longer working on FFXII"

Dragona Akehi said:
Popular? Yes. Praised? By idiots, maybe.

FFVII = Worst FF and terrible RPG.

He also had a big role in FF6 which alogn with FF7 are the most praised in the series. They might not be my personal favorite but I recognise that they're generally seen as the most praised games in the series. FF7 is also the most popular.

Dragona Akehi said:
Kawazu can shit out a better RPG half asleep than Kitase could ever hope for. :p

Kawazu on his best day couldn't make a better RPG than the Legend of Dragoon team so there's no way he's approaching Kitase.

neo2046

Simo said:
Nope which is why there is confusion as to whether or not Matsuno has left. 1UP is the only site to specifically state he's gone but there's no listing of a source other than it was "news from the show" but neither GameSpot, IGN or any other site covering the event has mentioned such news. That and there's also the information that Matsuno should be present at a "Making of FFXII" presentation at Siggraph this coming week as well as still being listed as the game's director.
at least Akihiko Yoshida has gone to MW is confirmed
around 6 months he showed up with Hironobu Sakaguchi in a Famitsu interview
he also showed his rough work for the unknown DS SRPG project

Dragona Akehi said:
Popular? Yes. Praised? By idiots, maybe.

Someone making such a pigheaded, jackass statement like you just did... well, I can't say I could ever get offended by you calling me (a supporter of Kitase) and others 'idiots'. Sorry, pal.

SolidSnakex said:
He also had a big role in FF6 which alogn with FF7 are the most praised in the series. They might not be my personal favorite but I recognise that they're generally seen as the most praised games in the series. FF7 is also the most popular.

V > VI. Hell III > VI.

Kawazu on his best day couldn't make a better RPG than the Legend of Dragoon team so there's no way he's approaching Kitase.

Considering that you're defending Kitase and you're comparing Kawazu with that dreck that is LoD... Oh and SaGa on SFC rocked.

Doom_Bringer said:
But Sakaguchi was the executive producer for all of those. He overlooked the development and probably guided them. Look at FFX2; they made that after he left, the game is totally fucked up.

Yah lets give the credit to Sakaguchi who hasn't made a RPG in over 10 years.

TheJollyCorner said:
Someone making such a pigheaded, jackass statement like you just did... well, I can't say I could ever get offended by you calling me (a supporter of Kitase) and others 'idiots'. Sorry, pal.

I just enjoy quality RPGs. I can't see any quality in FFVII, myself.

Pellham

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Yah Kitase's only been responsible for the most popular and praised games in the entire series..It'd be so horrible to see the series fall into such hands.

His games happened to be the ones that emphasized cinematics, graphics, and a movie-like experience over RPG mechanics and well, just about everything that made Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy (before Kitase took over). While that was instrumental in making the series popular worldwide and especially among teenagers who thought the games were "video game anime", that doesn't necessarily mean they were good RPGs.

If you're going to use sales as a barometer for quality, keep in mind that Kawazu, the guy you and a lot of Kitase fans hate, has directed games that sold in the millions.

Have you played either of the first two Final Fantasy Legend games or any of the Super Famicom Romancing SaGas? Those games are better than any Final Fantasy released to date.
After that, Kawazu became a producer and the downhill quality is generally attributed to the directors under him. He's not a game director and hasn't been for years.

Red Scarlet

Whatever he's done to FF12, will likely still remain for the most part. Matsuno's leaving probably won't affect the game as some people are taking it. I really don't care, as for me, Matsuno has been very hit (FFT) and total miss (Vagrant Story).

His games happened to be the ones that emphasized cinematics, graphics, and a movie-like experience over RPG mechanics

Christ... FF hasn't been anything other than a cinematic fantasy-drama since... what.. FFIIIj? Before anyone says it- FFIV, V, and VI had plenty of cinematic, 'movie-like' moments regardless of the overhead, sprite based graphics. They also pushed the graphics limits at the time of their releases- FFVI was the first SNES game to use 256 colors on-screen at once. It was a graphical marvel in 1994. Hell, even FFIV showed off why SNES was so much more powerful than NES.

I can't believe this argument still exists... @_@

Kuroyume said:
Great, looked to me like this guy was trying killing Final Fantasy. FFT sucked. I prefer FM3 as far strat rpgs go.

He evolved the series. How much screen shattering and random battles can you take?

All Final Fantasy masterminds are now with Mistwalker :(

Johnas

Red Scarlet said:
total miss (Vagrant Story).

FAIL

:p

I really enjoyed VS, but it had quite a learning curve to me. The atmosphere in Matsuno's games is something I adore, I really hope it is intact in FFXII.

Red Scarlet

Vagrant Story was one of the worst games I played last generation. It just did not click with me at all whatsoever. I drove 2 hours (both ways) to buy it, got past the golem boss and decided that the game just was not fun (the story doesn't matter to me), so I drove 2 hours back to return it the next day. Total turnoff. :/

Johnas

Red Scarlet said:
Vagrant Story was one of the worst games I played last generation. It just did not click with me at all whatsoever. I drove 2 hours (both ways) to buy it, got past the golem boss and decided that the game just was not fun (the story doesn't matter to me), so I drove 2 hours back to return it the next day. Total turnoff. :/

The story and the setting were phenomenal, IMO. I was a little "WTF?" at the weapon development and the combat (heard plenty of comparisons to Parasite Eve, never played that game though), but once I got accustomed to them, I had a lot of fun. The ending was one of those "nudge, nudge" endings that seemed to hint at the possibility of a sequel, but I doubt it'll happen.

My main gripe with the game was that they didn't wait and put it on PS2. It looked good then, but if I tried to play through it now I'm sure it would be pretty painful.

Hope your drive was nice. :) I did the same thing with Equinox on SNES.

Amir0x

Banned
Scarlet is a traditionalist who gets off on DQ and old-school FF, and so any hint of Westernization in a series' battle system turns Scarlet off ;)

Red Scarlet

Story isn't a make or break point, so I had to go by the gamey part. The constant weapon switching and timing a button press for attacks weren't my cup of tea. I've heard wonderful things about the game, but it just didn't click.

Ami: Yup, just like favorite TV series and such, when I like something, I don't mind when it stays familiar to what I got into the series to begin with. Why games are some thing that must constantly change/evolve 'for the better' I don't really comprehend. But whatever. I'm a slave to this and your other favorite series so I'm buying it anyway.

Johnas

Amir0x said:
Scarlet is a traditionalist who gets off on DQ and old-school FF, and so any hint of Westernization in a series' battle system turns Scarlet off ;)

I'd watch it if I were you. ;)

You're quite a VS fan also, no?

Scarlet: PM.

Red Scarlet

Ami just can't get over that I prefer to play the game series Earthbound is parodying instead of Earthbound. He's petty like that.

Amir0x

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Ami: Yup, just like favorite TV series and such, when I like something, I don't mind when it stays familiar to what I got into the series to begin with. Why games are some thing that must constantly change/evolve 'for the better' I don't really comprehend. But whatever. I'm a slave to this and your other favorite series so I'm buying it anyway.

Because it's evolving... for the better. Change is good, Scarlet! It helps things stay fresh. Helps put a new perspective on old friends. It's the best thing in the world... for gaming, TV, and other things!

Of course there's plenty of room for 'traditional' style games as well. But it's nice to see such a storied franchise move up and try something substantively different from past non-MMORPG FFs.

Ancestor_of_Erdick said:
I'd watch it if I were you. ;)

You're quite a VS fan also, no?

I love Vagrant Story, yes. To this day it has some of the best presentation ever, and its story is honestly topnotch... not just topnotch by game standards. The battle system is sufficiently deep, and it's pretty addicting once you get into a groove. Honestly, it was an awesome way to end the PSX generation for me. 'Cause that's basically when I moved on.

Red Scarlet said:
Ami just can't get over that I prefer to play the game series Earthbound is parodying instead of Earthbound. He's petty like that.

I prefer to think of it as parodying all the tired archetypes of the standard RPGs of the time, but it's fine either way! So much greatness in that one.

jett

D-Member
Kawashit is a vomit-inducing game designer. Anyone who defends him has no right to diss other directors. :p

Anyways, Squeenix can go die for this.

SKOPE

TheJollyCorner said:
Christ... FF hasn't been anything other than a cinematic fantasy-drama since... what.. FFIIIj? Before anyone says it- FFIV, V, and VI had plenty of cinematic, 'movie-like' moments regardless of the overhead, sprite based graphics. They also pushed the graphics limits at the time of their releases- FFVI was the first SNES game to use 256 colors on-screen at once. It was a graphical marvel in 1994. Hell, even FFIV showed off why SNES was so much more powerful than NES.

I can't believe this argument still exists... @_@
Agreed. People who believe prerendered CG cutscenes and/or voice acting made Final Fantasy less games and more movies yet had no problem with non-interactive sprite- and text-based cutscenes in the earlier games need to stop for a moment and think.

Zilch

Banned
jett said:
Kawashit is a vomit-inducing game designer. Anyone who defends him has no right to diss other directors. :p

Seriously. I'm not a big fan of Kitase, but Kawazu is OMGWTFSHIT.

Vargas

Doom_Bringer said:
But Sakaguchi was the executive producer for all of those. He overlooked the development and probably guided them. Look at FFX2; they made that after he left, the game is totally fucked up.

Does the title of Executive Producer ever really mean anything? I always thought they gave him that credit since he created the series.

Yamauchi

Banned
This is just weird because Matsuno was the only reason I was even interested in this game and was willing to admit that to Square fans (I've usually only bashed Square since FFX). Now the only redeeming factor in my eyes is gone. However, I don't think it will make much of a difference. The character designs still look like FFX clones.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Doom_Bringer said:
He evolved the series. How much screen shattering and random battles can you take?

All Final Fantasy masterminds are now with Mistwalker :(

Actually, from the looks of things, Final Fantasy XI evolved the series. =P

Quoted for great truth.
Sakaguchi is also listed as Executive Producer for FFX-2. He hasn't had much involvement with game development since FFV.

BirdySky

Maybe he's left to work on Final 7-2 for the ps3? ALong with the character and scenario designers from Final 7.
It's just that big a project it needs all the big guns.

(A man can dream...)

MoxManiac

As terrible news as this is, isn't the game far enough along that it will still have Matsuno's vision intact? I can't imagine what they can fuck up at this point.

It still sucks though.

at least Akihiko Yoshida has gone to MW is confirmed
around 6 months he showed up with Hironobu Sakaguchi in a Famitsu interview
he also showed his rough work for the unknown DS SRPG project

You're thinking of Hideo Minaba and he didn't join Mist Walker. He's formed his own company, Design Nation, which is contracting for MW.

EGM last month said something about the director (I believe) praying at a temple for the game. And they were serious. Sounds like a mess.

Oh well, the series died after nine. IMO

Simo

citrus lump said:
EGM last month said something about the director (I believe) praying at a temple for the game. And they were serious. Sounds like a mess.

Oh well, the series died after nine. IMO

That was in the rumour mill and much like this rumour of Matsuno leaving FFXII, it's now being taken as truth. :lol

Razoric

Banned
I'm calling bullshit. If he left as director why the fuck is he being named the director of FFXII and is supposed to give some speech about the game next week? wtf :lol

golem

Razoric said:
I'm calling bullshit. If he left as director why the fuck is he being named the director of FFXII and is supposed to give some speech about the game next week? wtf :lol
it looks like just a video reel of their works.. not sure if there will be actual presenters.

Bebpo

Banned
Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
You're thinking of Hideo Minaba and he didn't join Mist Walker. He's formed his own company, Design Nation, which is contracting for MW.

Even if it was Yoshida I think he'd finish FFXII before going to Mist Walker. I have a really hard time believing the main team would be 2-3 years into working on a game and then just get up and change companies before finishing. Maybe people would move to MW or somewhere else, but I think they'd wrap up FFXII before they did.

Unless the working environment and bureaucracy at SE is shit and has been in decline for some time now...that'd be a good reason to up and leave in the middle of a production if it were extreme enough.

Red Scarlet said:
What have Kitase and Kawazu done? Neither name rings a bell..

Kitase has co directed FF6 and Chrono Trigger and directed FF7, FF8 and FF10. Kawazu has directed the Saga series, including Unlimited Saga and Racing Lagoon. Kitase's track record is extremely good despite how some people try to bash him.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm pretty sure that eventually over the next few years everyone from the Square side besides Kitase, Nomura, and Kawazu will leave the company and either form their own (Takahashi, Sakaguchi) or just go work elsewhere. I mean 90% of the games being released on the Square side come from one of those three and it just seems to be getting worse. It's kinda sad that a huge rpg company that used to have all these bright and original directors has narrowed down to a few people who tend to stick to the guidelines (well, or they're just batshit crazy in Kawazu's case); but oh well :\

Miburou

Even though Vagrant Story is my favorite Square game, I wouldn't mind if Kitase took over, as FFX is my favorite FF game. But I'd really like to know why the game is taking so long to make, especially since it doesn't seem to have changed much since last year's E3.

terrene

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
I just enjoy quality RPGs. I can't see any quality in FFVII, myself.
Wow. I've never looked at it that way. I have to say, I'm really impressed by your "out of the box" thinking on this one. You are really breaking new ground and opening up the minds of everyone who is lucky enough to read.

Gee you're so original, let me suck your whiny little nerd-cock.

Please, don't kill me with you're super-dope, edgy opinions that cut like a knife through the bullshit.

Please don't blind me when you take off the cloak that THE MAN has placed over my eyes.

Bebpo said:
I'm pretty sure that eventually over the next few years everyone from the Square side besides Kitase, Nomura, and Kawazu will leave the company and either form their own (Takahashi, Sakaguchi) or just go work elsewhere.

I think Kitase's pretty good at mixing things up. All his FF's look different and feel different whether or not they're popular with the hardcore crowd. That's why even if I don't like all of his FF's I look forward to them since I know they're going to be completely different from what the series has seen. I'm happy that he's back in charge with the PS3 FF.

Top Bottom