• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Missed the Point of Metal Gear Solid 4

LarknThe4th

One special thing about the series that always bares repeating is, for people who where around at the time, the run up to the releases of MGS 2 and 4 respectively where unlike anything else I have ever seen in videogames, Halo 2 and 3 where the only comparable launches really

Such a fun ride to be on

Kerotan

Sony had an existing install base of around 130million.
Xbox had an install base of 24million.
By end of generation both had sold around 84 million 360’s and ps3.
Therefore microsoft saw a growth of +360%.
Whereas sony experienced a shrink of -36%.

Thats decimation in my eyes.
That's parity not decimation.

Collin

Banned
That’s a bold statement. Acts 1 and 2 were good, but 3 was one tailing mission, 4 had no guards, and 5 was one room and some set pieces.

3 (at least Subsistence onwards) had so much more going for it.

yes this is one of mgs4s biggest issues, the gameplay is way too unbalanced and focuses on things that aren’t it’s strengths too often. Act 1 and 2 have great gameplay and it’s so odd to me why he made 3 and 4 so lacking in the good stuff for such long stretches. 5 briefly brings it back for 1 room and then it’s the final string of boss fights. It’s a poorly paced game. 3 beats it easily in my mind.

Dacon

Banned
MGS4 is a great game, in my opinion. It's exactly what MGS fans want because it's a mix of the best parts of the prequels. Follow up to the visionary story of 2 and upgraded gameplay of 3

You don't speak for me.
Great game play, wacky story, feels and a shitload of fanservice. What else could any MGS fan want?

How about a good story that doesn't explain away major series plot points in the stupidest possible ways?

MGS 1 (ps1) and MGS 3 are really good, it's 2,4,5 I can't stand with 5 being the worst aside from the ending of 4.
The above expressed view is IMO only, and does not represent me claiming fact, so put away your torches and pitchforks.

Top Bottom