• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Endings in a Video Game

AniHawk

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening -
Love how, during the final fight, the Nightmare taunts Link, and repeatedly reminds him that waking the Wind Fish will in turn, destroy Koholint Island. Then there's the scene as Link wakes up, and all the characters he met dissappear. Even though it was 2D, I thought it was conveyed pretty well. Also, the only other ending in the entire series I actually enjoyed.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker -
I'll just list the main points, since it would take longer to describe it in full. I loved: the humanization of Ganondorf, when Ganondorf forms the triforce and beats the crap out of Lin, when Hyrule is drowned, and when Daphnes dies.

Final Fantasy VIII -
Just thought it was well done in general. One of the only happy endings in the series from what I've played, and it also has a potential plot twist in it that Ultimecia may be Rinoa.

Final Fantasy IX -
Liked it as much as VII's. Liked the final moments when Zidane was with Kuja, and Zidane's line at the play. Found it charming, as I found the entire game.

Final Fantasy X -
Thought this had an excellent ending, and it would have been perfect for the game if ONLY TIDUS DIDN'T APPEAR AFTER THE CREDITS!

Terranigma -
You save the world... and die*. Even though it sucks, at least Ark got to spend a little time with Elle.

* = Never really states whether or not Ark dies. There are hints that it could have gone either way. Nevertheless, one of my favorite endings ever, and my favorite on the system.

And please, blackout the endings with spoilers. It's just common courtesy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Klonoa
FFX
Shenmue 2
ICO
Sonic Adventure 2 (cheesy as hell, but cool. :p)

...perhaps a few others.

Chrono Trigger
The best one IMO was beating the game when Crono Dies, and you see everyone find the Egg and Crono Doll to revive Crono. I also liked how depending on how many cats you won, if you killed or teamed with magus, or crashed into lavos with the Epoc or not the final ending varied a little

Final Fantasy 4 -
I love how every thing was tied up nicely you saw what happend to every character when they returned to earth. I dunno if it's considered the ending, but when Zeromus's anger kills everyone and the you see all the characters and people you ran inot praying for you to awaken, the music also kicked ass while fighitng Zeromus's anger.

Zelda: OOT
The entire edning kicked ass...fomr Gannon Second form to the JotJ like celbration

Final Fantay Tactics
A lot to explain but it I liked it....I guess no need for spolier tags

Mega Man 3
Proto Man is Megaman "brother'

Fallout -
The "wrap-up" of all the places you visited and how your influence impacted them was great. However, the actual ending(s) of the game are superb. Whether or not you actually end up killing The Overseer doesn't matter because you are still banished from Vault 13, and the final shot as you walk back into the wasteland with your back turned against camera with the ironic song playing is absolutely beautiful.

Chrono Trigger -
There are a bunch of endings, but my favorite is the one where Chrono and Marle grab the balloons and float away with the wonderfully composed "To Far Away Times" playing.

Those are the only two game endings that were memorable for me. Then again, I don't finish many games because I suck. :(

ced

ICO was one of the few great game endings

It left me with many feelings, and questions. It was like the end of The Shawshank Redemption.

I feel like there is another one lingering in my head, maybe Ill remember it.

It may be simplistic, but I've always loved the Dragon Warrior IV ending. At the time I didn't have access to the more advanced consoles and DWIV's ending was just so far beyond what other NES games usually offered ("Thanks for playing! Game over!"), even including RPGs.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wind Waker, Phantasy Star II, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun 2... and that's just the very beginning of my list.

ced

I think Chrono Chross is the one stuck in my head. Its so hard to remember the end though, cause the whole game was amazing to me, I know alot of you all hate it though.

Anyone wanna spoilertag the ending so I can remember? Its so faint

RiZ III

Panzer Dragoon Saga -
Sad and haunting. I felt really bad for Azel cause she continued searching for Edge when he was obviously never coming back.

Ico -
Wow. Loved the scene where Yorda pushes the kids body off. The crumbling castle was probably the best destruction scene I've seen in a game.

FFX2 -
I love the good ending where Yuna reunites with Tidus. Some great ass shots there.

aparisi2274

Bionic Commando (NES).
Anyway, I like how u drop off the ledge, and put a bullet into "Hitler's" head. Then u have to escape, and just when you get out of the building, your character runs back into the exploding building, and then it pans out, and u see the entire island explode, and out of all the flame and smoke, u see the helicopter rise above it with your character holding Super Joe.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time -
It turns out the game is him telling the story to the princess, and he did it all to save her because he fell in love with her. The sad part is that because he rewound everything she has no clue who he is and as such does not love him back.

Shit I should play that game again. It's probably the best game of 2003.

robot

First 2 that come to mind are Final Fantasy 3 (6) and for some reason the credit roll for Mario Kart 64. I mustve beat the Special Cup like 40 times just to keep watching it.

I loved the endings for the original Super Mario Kart. It was my first exposure to unique endings varying on character. I was heartbroken when the sequels basically dropped em.

Mashing

I just finished Paper Mario and I have to say it had a very satisfying ending... Much better than most recent games in memory. I didn't feel cheated at all.

bjork

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile -
When you're sitting on the hill having a sweet old time, talking about the song of rebirth or whatever, and you learn that Huepow is FUCKING COCKSMOKE who basically tricked you into doing his dirty work

Semjaza Azazael said:
It may be simplistic, but I've always loved the Dragon Warrior IV ending. At the time I didn't have access to the more advanced consoles and DWIV's ending was just so far beyond what other NES games usually offered ("Thanks for playing! Game over!"), even including RPGs.

After reading this, I was almost suprised I hadn't written it. My feelings exactly. DW4, as a whole, totally blew me away back in the day.

jiggle

FFVIII, IX, X, & X2 all have really good endings. VIII being my favorite of the group.
I didn't think it was a completely happy ending though. The part of Laguna/Raine was the sad part, of the ending, for VIII.

The Mark of Kri - No B.S., just good times.

Unison - The secret origin of Dr. Dance = good fun!

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile - You're so cute, and you break my shriveled black heart. :(

jett

D-Member
This list WILL be filled with nostalgia, so whatever:

SMB2: I remember being really impressed with Mario's animation at the time. :p

Zelda 3: Best ending credits music EVER.

SMB3: I just love the style of the ending credits, and everytime I listen to that music I get INCREDIBLY nostalgic.

Mega Man 3: I loved it back then, and still do. I thought the Dr. Light's notebook thingy was pretty neat.

FF4: I think this is the only RPG ending that ties up every single thread in the storyline. I love the music as well. If you couldn't tell, music is an important factor to me when choosing favorite endings. On the other hand, FF3/6's ending disappointed me a bit. Music was great, but the content not so much. :p

FF7/8: Amazing CG work at the time from both of them. They both blew me away, and even though I didn't like FF8 that much, no other game ending has moved as much as that one did.

Einhander: considering it's a shooter, the story is quite good, and that game ends in the coolest note possible.

Metal Gear Solid: Perfection.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time: The only recent game that had an ending that satisfied. Jordan Mechner = genius.

ICO: Okay, the *other* recent game that had a satisfying ending. :p

On a sidenote, Terranigma is a reaaaaaaaaally good game. Enix/Quintet should start developing another creation game ASAP. They won't, though. :(

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I agree with many of these, but I must add:

Space Channel 5 (1 & 2): The endings were just great great fun. SC5pt2 also had the great conga line through the credits. Oh, and also

UP!
:D

yoshifumi

Banned
mgs
viewtiful joe
monster rancher's "ending"
your prize for winning all 4 s-rank tournaments is that you get to see the opening sequence again...but this time in color
and zack's doa3 ending just because it's so ridiculously awesome

yoshifumi

Banned
i'd also like to add some of the endings in contra: hard corps are awesome, particularly:

1. the "fake" ending where the bad guy offers you the chance to join him...if you do it goes to some story screen where you take over the world or something, and you think the game is over, but it just takes you to the continue screen, thus wasting your life.

2. the back in time ending that you get by winning the weird battle arena tournament.

GhaleonEB

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I don't know how to make the background black, so don't read the below if you don't want it ruined.

From Edge's departure, when Azel tells him she loves him, to the ambiguous conclusion, with Azel setting out into the sandstorm to search for Edge, who may or may not have survived the destruction of the Tower. It just rips at my heart when she looks into the desert and says, "I'm coming, Edge...." *goosebumps*

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FFIX (thanks to the ending) is the only game that's ever made me cry,
even though I basically knew what was coming. I mean, it's just so damn HAPPY. I'm a sucker for a good old fashioned love story anyway. They get me every time. Just the way it's all built up to the climax, with him reciting the play lines... it's just so amazing, despite the lack of surprise.

cvxfreak

Final Fantasy IV -
The planet flew off with Golbez and FuSoYa on it. Cecil and Rosa got married. Although the darkness itself isn't truly destroyed, it felt like the game ended in a very satisfying manner. A long, enjoyable ending with great music and a conclusion to a very moving story.

Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X -
Wesker and Chris battle it out. We find out Wesker stole Steve. Claire and Chris are reunited. Sets up a great scene for RE4.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes -
Liquid FINALLY dies. Snake and Otacon/Meryl leave and learn about a few lessons in life. The gene theme is explained. Great ending.

Onimusha 2 -
Oni Jubei defeats Nobunaga and the Golden Statue from Hell. Nobunaga appears in the sun, and vows to return. Jubei transforms back into a human and runs away from Gifu Castle. Sometime later, he finds Oyu in Odani Castle. They set off together.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis -
Jill and Carlos are saved by Barry Burton after Jill murders Nemesis, and they get on the helicopter as it takes off from Raccoon City. The missile passes their copter, and collides with the city, leveling it completely while barely missing the helicopter. Jill vows to get her revenge on Umbrella.

Yoshi's Island -
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are reunited by Yoshi. The stork is freed from capture and take the babies to their parents. The parents look at the babies, ahppy to have them home.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Grim Fandango -
when Manny and Meche leave Glottis behind and board the Number Nine. Plus the whole final encounter with "the fat man", heh. So cinematic and beautiful. I absolutely loved that game. I grew so attached to the characters and the whole epic adventure and ending were so moving. By far the immersive game I've played, and the only one that really left me caring for the characters.

*sigh* I need to play that one again. Time to try and make it work on Windows XP...

jiggle

GDJustin said:
FFIX (thanks to the ending) is the only game that's ever made me cry,
even though I basically knew what was coming. I mean, it's just so damn HAPPY. I'm a sucker for a good old fashioned love story anyway. They get me every time. Just the way it's all built up to the climax, with him reciting the play lines... it's just so amazing, despite the lack of surprise.

It's not a completely happy ending. Unless you were happy to learn of VIVI's death:(

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Shenmue 1 -
Having that little midget dude as the boss was pretty underwhelming... But the ending cinematic was cool. Ryo leaving to Hong Kong in a boat as an unknown girl's voice talks about his destiny and the Shenmue theme playing in the background. Very dramatic stuff.

Shenmue 2 -
There were 2 endings to this game I think. At the end of disc 3 the boss battle with the chinese kingpin lookin fellow on the rooftop was awesome. Then at the end of disc 4 where Ryo discovers the story behidn those mirrors and shit was cool. Again the music set the mood up for the ending.

Fjord

Dan said:
Grim Fandango -
when Manny and Meche leave Glottis behind and board the Number Nine. Plus the whole final encounter with "the fat man", heh. So cinematic and beautiful. I absolutely loved that game. I grew so attached to the characters and the whole epic adventure and ending were so moving. By far the immersive game I've played, and the only one that really left me caring for the characters.

*sigh* I need to play that one again. Time to try and make it work on Windows XP...

I also loved it, that game had more character then anything on any platform.

whitechocolatespaceegg said:
Mafia- Awesome perfect ending.

Dan said:
Grim Fandango -

Yep and Yep.
The realisation that Otis has to stay behind brought a tear to my eye

The Monkey Island Games
Just the fact that in some of them you could decide the final thing Guybrush said, which was a nice touch... and Murray :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Skies of Arcadia: The final boss fight, the wrapup of everyone's story, the credits with the great music, just felt very heartwarming and fun, like the rest of the game.

Jet Set Radio (NOT Jet Grind Radio): I love how beat skates around spray painting the credits all over town, just thought that was a cool idea.

Tritroid

I think out of all the endings, this was the most important for me:

Zelda: LttP -
This was really an impressive ending for its time. I loved how they took the time to show Hyrule reborn after Link used the Triforce following Ganon's defeat. And then letting the credits roll with the three Triforce pieces spinning in the background while Hyrule's horizon drifts past, as they play that gorgeous theme. Truely beautiful.

Others:

Zelda: OoT -
Very good ending, especially the bells that chime once Link places the Master Sword back in its pedestal in the Temple of Time. The celebration around the fire on Lon Lon Ranch was kinda cornified however. Other than that though, A+.

Skies of Arcadia -
The ending to this game just left me with a huge smile on my face. I loved the followup to all the characters who became Blue Rogues, and especially Fina in pirate gear. (HAWT) Also, I really don't think I've heard a more gorgeous ending theme in any game, evar.

Starfox 64 -
Back in the 64/32 era this ending had me completely wowed. I thought the scene where Fox and crew entered the room to be congratulated by General Pepper was so impressive. Although I look back on it now and almost cringe. :\ It was also cool to see the 4 members of Starfox running against a sunset background with Great Fox slowly lifted into space.

Mario 64 -
Peach talking and kissing Mario was enough to make me love this ending. :p Could have been a lot longer though, considering how epic the game was.

Zelda: WW -
I loved this ending mostly because of the points Ani already mentioned. It was so different from past Zelda titles, in that it left you with an almost depressing mood. Ganondorf revealing his motives behind his hatred of Hyrule was also a great touch. I wish they would have taken a brief moment to explain where the Triforce pieces fled to once they granted Daphnes' wish though.

Super Mario RPG -
An epic ending for an epic game. Truely phenomenal, especially the parade. Awesome job Square.

Golden Sun Book 2: The Lost Age -
This ending almost had me in tears, which is fucking awesome considering it's a GBA game. :p Having the second book continue the first was a great idea, and it made the entire thing seem so much bigger. There were points when I really got emotionally tied to the characters, and this made the ending twice as good. The scene where Isaac is hugging his father that he previously thought was dead was probably the best part.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
BG Saga Ending -
You FINALLY get your chance at DA POWAH after all that toil since BG1 and then, the Solar gives you a choice: a) Keep the power, so that you can go and continue to fight on the plane of the gods (and there's a lot of help to be had there), or b) Give up the throne and the power will be gone forever, thus securing the safety of Bhaal's power from being taken by another villain. If you try to be hero and choose "a" you lose the romance you may have been working on. Then to hear what happened to some of the other characters made things feel pretty complete (although, you wanted more)

Kuramu

Super Mario Bros. 2 .... at the time it blew my mind that the whole game was a dream. Cool music and scene too

Enter at your own RISK!!!!!
SPOILERS AHEAD if you never played Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

1. The Ending ~ The moment when when Zelda asked him for her Ocarina back and Link held it out she held his hand with Ocarina in it knowing that she had to return him back to regain his lost time and knowing that she and Link may never get another chance like this.

2. Temple of Time ~ After Link put back the Master Sword in the Pedestal of Time one last time Navi came out and took one last look at Link and heads off. (no dialogue)

LakeEarth

Super Metroid... I think that was the first game I played where you had to run out of the entire stage before it explodes after defeating the final boss.. though it's been overused TO HELL since then.

jiggle

How could I have forgotten about the ending to Secret of Mana?!
Seeing the Sprite at the end....words can't describe how that felt.

SD-Ness

Zelda: OOT
The entire edning kicked ass...fomr Gannon Second form to the JotJ like celbration.

StarCraft: Brood War

Top Bottom