• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite strong female characters

-Zelda-

Banned
l7i2Vnn.jpg

nklRdzY.png

fpV9vFM.jpg

9EbxD0K.jpg

KxtEyf9.jpg

O6cq0y6.jpg

T5vLtq4.jpg

Jk3NKLx.jpg

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Unpopular opinion:

"Strong" is such a poor term to apply to interesting female characters or leads.

Strong in what? Physical strength? Do we really need for characters to be physically strong, let alone female ones (which tend to fall into the man-with-boobs trap)?
Does it mean emotionally strong? If so, what does that actually mean? That they can mass murder enemies without any emotional repercussions (which actually makes them less interesting as characters)?

I'm currently playing Plague Tale Requiem. Amicia is easily subdued the moment an adult male gets within 1 meter of her. She also gets episodes of PTSD from the people she killed in the first game. Despite being well-intentioned, she makes some decisions with terrible repercussions. And she's one of the best female leads in a videogame I've played.

Elfstar

Unpopular opinion:

"Strong" is such a poor term to apply to interesting female characters or leads.

Strong in what? Physical strength? Do we really need for characters to be physically strong, let alone female ones (which tend to fall into the man-with-boobs trap)?
Does it mean emotionally strong? If so, what does that actually mean? That they can mass murder enemies without any emotional repercussions (which actually makes them less interesting as characters)?

I'm currently playing Plague Tale Requiem. Amicia is easily subdued the moment an adult male gets within 1 meter of her. She also gets episodes of PTSD from the people she killed in the first game. Despite being well-intentioned, she makes some decisions with terrible repercussions. And she's one of the best female leads in a videogame I've played.
Yeah, "strong female character" is such a cringe, ankwardly forced sounding term.

Last edited:

ungalo

Even if it's not perfect, i think i like the character of Lara in the reboots.

Also love all the women of CDPR games lol. The Witcher, Thronebreaker, Cyberpunk...all of them.

And on the contrary Sadie is really one of the few characters in RDR2 i can't stand. Everytime she showed up i felt it was boring as fuck.

Last edited:

ssringo

akI6hKb.jpg

I actually prefer the original ending where it turns out that
that the girls are delusional about their "boyfriends"
but enough people were super salty about it so whatever.

Unpopular opinion:

Great post. If more people had this kind of ability to think beyond the surface and question what is taken for granted, to apply critical thought on touchy topics, I'm sure our world would be a better place.

Crayon

Unpopular opinion:

Any character with lots of flaws/quirks/connections layered up can be considered strong. "Strong female" could simply be specifying strong characters that happen to be female. On the other end it could describe a shallow "girlboss" style. So it's vague to begin with and got some baggage now.

Elfstar

Any character with lots of flaws/quirks/connections layered up can be considered strong. "Strong female" could simply be specifying strong characters that happen to be female. On the other end it could describe a shallow "girlboss" style. So it's vague to begin with and got some baggage now.
Eh, you know it just means "muh badass girlboss" nowadays.

Crayon

Jennifer Lawrence probably, I'm not sure there were any strong female characters before she came along.

Serious answer: Georgio Manos

... I think anyway, its unclear.

loool i haven't thought about that in awhile. Me and my wife love roundabout. Pretty sure Georgio is a dude and they just put a girl in there to play him because the game is just that funny.

Bigfroth

Lady Croft, fem shepherd,Aloy and anytime you can make a character in a game I go female so pretty much all RPGs for me. Yes, I'm a dude 😎

RaduN

All of Kojima's female characters are amazing.
They always have that moment where they shine and become unforgettable.
Meryl, Olga, The Boss, Naomi, Quiet, Fragile all have great, memorable arcs.

Fbh

Lots of my favourites have been mentioned already. I'll add Meve from Thronebreaker

rCORR9l.png
She was really well written and convincingly badass.

SumJester

I actually prefer the original ending where it turns out that
that the girls are delusional about their "boyfriends"
but enough people were super salty about it so whatever.
Well considering what happens to the duo in the prequel and that this pair of girls is from a game created by the OG franchise creator and the other two rivals not so much....
Not hard to see why many people found making a major retcon by a western studio just to setup a joke quite distasteful.
A joke that makes even less sense when said western studio re-releases the prequel not long after.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Venat_from_FFXIV_render.png

Venat from Final Fantasy 14. This bitch killed her friends, became a goddess and literally broke the world into 14 pieces specifically so that mankind would suffer. She's the good guy.

ssringo

Well considering what happens to the duo in the prequel and that this pair of girls is from a game created by the OG franchise creator and the other two rivals not so much....
Not hard to see why many people found making a major retcon by a western studio just to setup a joke quite distasteful.
A joke that makes even less sense when said western studio re-releases the prequel not long after.
Bored Rowan Atkinson GIF by Working Title

Top Bottom