• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite strong female characters

Bragr

Banned
Lots of my favourites have been mentioned already. I'll add Meve from Thronebreaker

rCORR9l.png
She was really well written and convincingly badass.
Yeah, I don't think too many played the Thronebreaker campaign. Meve has all the quirks and moral quandaries of all the best Witcher characters, she's really great.

Reactions: Fbh

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
A fully powered up Samus Aran is a nigh invincible indomitable force of absolute destruction. Nothing can really stop her any longer after the events of Metroid Dread...and any previous threat she had ever faced would be obliterated without even any effort.

She's basically reached Superman levels of overwhelming power. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what can possibly stand against her unyielding rage next. 🔥

NdC0l5M.jpg

Last edited:

Alx

I want to add that bayonetta is badass as hell:
baya GIF

She reminds of the original Lara Croft. Sassy, in control, making constant jokes… A goddess.
Came here to mention her too. I like her Vamp attitude and the way she toys with people with her self-confidence (a trait that defines her in the first game actually)
Shows that a female character can be sexual without being objectified.

I like Christie from DOA for similar reasons, although being DOA the « not being objectified » part isn’t always true.

Trilobit

Sadie Adler - Red Dead Redemption 2
MpEua2O.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2 touched me on a regular basis but Mrs Adler was one of the greatest characters in the game.
She's a character who joined the Van der Linde gang after she and her husband get homejacked (resulting in her husbands death).
She quickly evolved from a depressed widow in the first chapters to a gun wielding killing machine determined to avenge her husbands death against those responsible.

The fact that Rockstar didn't allow me to marry her is something I won't ever be able to forgive them for. 💔

lachesis

FS232YD.jpg

This girl. Talk about the hardened core muscle that can withstand against 7ft 10in ape's strong grab - you know, even chimps can easily tear a human's limbs apart.
Not only that, imagine you being waved around by a giant ape like a plush doll - one could easily break the neck because of the g-force.
Also the mental strength of still reaching out for help, not losing consciousness in even the most extreme case of standing on top of 100m tall building that's barely bare bone structure - on that wind, and fire, right next to the a fierce beast and all sorts of wildlife and unnatural phenomenon like walking fireballs.
On top of that, she even has a proper manner of thanking the one who helped her out, and but goes thru the ordeal all over again and again.

Jokes asides - I am a bit tired of this "strong" female character general stereotypes. I think most of them have admirable mental strength in modern, at least well written and well developed characters. They may not be as physically strong as male character, but many are stronger in their mental strength - determinations, cunning and situational awareness etc.

And my favs are
Jill Valentine from RE series for her perseverance, and Niijima Makoto from P5 for facing her inner trauma/complex and pursuing her dreams.

D-ray

At first I would have said Eri from Metal Slug, but she doesn't really have a story or details to begin with (and I prefer Fio to be honest).

So I'll go with Toni from Deponia's trilogy (quadrilogy technically).
I want to avoid any spoilers in case you never played a Deponia game (you should if you like Point N'Click adventures and you are not a boomer) but, to be concise, I love her stereotypical stressed woman behavior, sarcastic attitude and generally strong personality.
She even has a better "story arc" than the co-protagonist of the series, making her not only more likable but also relatable.

Plus, the interaction between her and the protagonist (she hates him) are priceless.
6639139.512.webp

Last edited:

Jennings

I can't think of any. My favorite strong male characters are pre-Bethesda Doomguy, pre-Bethesda Wolfenstein guy, and Duke Nukem 3D's Duke Nukem. But I can't think of any female characters that are on that level. Ms. Pac-Man is a total murder machine and does everything that Pac-Man can do, but better, but at the end of the day all she's really doing is eating.

But if I had to choose one, Chun-Li might be my favorite, but even she gushes a bit too much like a little girl to be taken seriously when she wins a fight. And Samus was cool back before Other M obliterated her.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Well considering what happens to the duo in the prequel and that this pair of girls is from a game created by the OG franchise creator and the other two rivals not so much....
Not hard to see why many people found making a major retcon by a western studio just to setup a joke quite distasteful.
A joke that makes even less sense when said western studio re-releases the prequel not long after.
A joke? How dare they have fun with the deep and serious lore written by the far superior Japanese writers.

SumJester

A joke? How dare they have fun with the deep and serious lore written by the far superior Japanese writers.
Fine! The plot is nothing home to write about, you are indeed right.

Jeez... So trigger happy... No wonder this place is a fanboy breeding ground.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Lots of my favourites have been mentioned already. I'll add Meve from Thronebreaker

rCORR9l.png
She was really well written and convincingly badass.
Not to mention she is even better in the books.

She is the one that knighted Geralt 'of Rivia', which he was using before just to have more street cred among people when being given jobs. She also did that with broken jaw and few teeth missing as a result of the battle shortly before.

Nora Salter from CoD: Infinite Warfare. You're not beating her. Such a sick character.

Faith from Mirrors Edge is pretty close too.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I just beat the witcher 3 again. I was reminded of how great ciri is. I really hope we get to play as her in the next game

Umbasaborne

Banned
Well, Liara is good too. Especially bc her voice actor has quite a characteristic voice.
I love liara’s arc, she is sort of a timid know it all in the first game, but in 2 and 3 she is a really confident bad ass. She is also the best mass effect girl so there is that. I literally romance her every time i run through the series.

Elysion

Banned
Naoto Shirogane

wGvkjGL.png

Her arc in P4 is fascinating. Instead of her convincing her friends to accept her gender identity, she eventually recognizes that pretending to be something she‘s not is childish, and that she should accept that she‘s a girl, and can never be something else. You can tell this game was made before 2010 just from that alone. Future Persona games will probably shy away from touching topics like that ever again (or they‘ll go in the opposite direction).

Last edited:
Top Bottom