• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your switch successor predicton going into 2024

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Make a hypothesis (educated guess) based on all the "leaks." No doubt some are complete bullshit.

My predictions:

-It will not release in 2024. Switch sales are slowing down but by no means stagnant. They have a big game like Metroid Prime 4 to drop during the holiday for current switch. I predict spring 2025 (I know unpopular opinion)
-It will not used that bullshit leaked tegra chip. I believe Nvidia and Nintendo will create a custom chip. I cannot guess the specs but guessing 4k with DLSS features.
-I believe it will launch with like an amoled or oled screen. Amoled phone screens have been around for years and could be gotten fairly cheaper in mass quanities
-It will not be a simple hardware upgrade. That is not Nintendo's style. For better or worse it will have some kind of new gimmick. I would not be surprised if they get into augmented reality.
-Will not be called the switch or anything in that nature. Whatever their new angle is, it will be called something centered around that.

Frwrd

ACuttingCorbis_reach_9446_xgaplus.jpg

I genuinely believe you are expecting way too much from them brother.
Most of the stuff you pointed out seem way beyond hopeful, like 4k Oled on a Nintendo launch device? You’re giving them way too much credit—they don’t innovate like that no more.

Last edited:

MAtgS

-An achievements system finally happens. They've danced around it before with missions on mobile or Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but now is finally when Nintendo commits to it.

-longer video captures. I hope for at least 15 minutes but that's more than I can trust Nintendo.

-On that note, an "upload to Tic Tok" feature. Switch has Facebook and Twitter uploading but they never expanded on this with more social media apps.

-Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity Definitive Edition as an launch/early title. It's 1 of the most notorious performance issues games on Switch but it's also the best selling warriors title of all time. An enhanced version with TotK content added in is a no brainer.

-Proper offline Kingdom Hearts ports. Maybe, eventually. Certainly not in the first year. That would be ridiculous.

mystech

The Release: Reveal in March. Deep dive in June. Public events in August. Release in September.

The Power: Custom SOC (I don’t think it’s the T239, I think that was intended for the canceled Switch Pro. I think Switch 2 gets something different with newer 4nm tech). Raw power similar to PS4 in handheld mode. Boost to PS4 Pro levels in docked mode. 12-16gb RAM. DLSS with ray reconstruction (no frame generation). 4K output via DLSS. HDR.

Graphics somewhere between Series S and a PS5 playing in performance mode. I’m thinking Nvidia will give them a chip with enough grunt and A.I. magic to really punch above its weight. I also think there will be bigger differences between playing in handheld mode vs docked. In fact, maybe the dock is more than… just a dock this time???

The System: Now this is the big mystery… Will it be a Switch 2 or something else entirely? With Nintendo who knows. Especially since the company leadership has changed on many levels since the Switch launch. I’m still 50 / 50… Part me thinks we get a true next generation Switch while another part of me thinks we get a whole new system that’s still hybrid but carries its own unique identity and new functionality.

The Games: This is an area where PS5 and Series S have really disappointed. I think Nintendo will do things differently with a lot more big next gen exclusives. New 3D Mario at launch with Mario Kart X coming a couple months later to boost holiday sales. I’m thinking Metroid Prime 4 is the only game that gets the cross generation treatment. The Switch version gets visuals similar to Prime Remake while the Switch 2 version uses higher quality models and textures, ray tracing, higher frame rates and some extra gimmicks.

With more power 3rd part support should be a lot better too. Maybe we get some of this years hitters like Dragons Dogma 2, Persona 3 Remake and Elden Ring (with DLC) at launch.

Backwards Compatibility: Physical backwards compatibility might be a stretch if Nintendo needs to use a different cartridge size. Digital compatibility should be a safe bet though. I predict 100% of the Switch library can be played and developers can patch Switch games to take advantage of DLSS upscaling and extra performance when playing on Switch 2. I’d imagine big games like Zelda Tears of the Kingdom would get this patch on day 1.

Price: $399 single SKU with 512gb storage.

Robb

Gold Member
-Will launch later this year

-$399 starting price

-Will keep “Switch” in the name but also feature some new gimmick on top

-Reveal between March and May alongside a big Nintendo Direct around the summer months

-Mario Kart 9 launch window release

-Game prices will be bumped to a standard of $70

-Nintendo Switch online will become more expensive

-LCD touch-screen

-Included HDD/SSD space will be comically low compared to rest of the industry

-Will use cartridges

-Tegra chip from the Nvidia leak, with modifications, will be used

-DLSS included

-Will include a crappy built in camera for AR

-Physical backwards compatibility with Switch included

-No free upgrades for Switch games running on the new system

-New JoyCons will use the SNES color scheme for the buttons

-4K/Raytracing etc. etc. will be mentioned as marketing tools but will never be achieved in any meaningful way for AAA games

Xyphie

• T239, most specs about that are known thanks to the nVidia leak no need to speculate there, 100-125mm^2 built on a TSMC/Samsung 5nm-class node. More GPU perf than a Steam Deck, but probably below a ROG Ally using 25W profile.
  • 12 or 16GB RAM ~102-136GB/s docked. Downclocked a bit in portable mode.
  • 8" 1080p IPS with VRR
  • Roughly ~0.5-6x Series S performance docked (~1.5GHz GPU), ~0.3x when portable (~1GHz GPU). Can comfortably play a current-gen game with some downgrades (often 30 FPS).
  • Decent bit bigger than the current Switch but not PC handheld big.
  • Official Powerbank accessory that attaches nicely to the device with magnets and Pogo pins or something like that.
  • No more joycons, controls are attached to the device. Doesn't come bundled with any other standalone controller but current joycons/controllers continue working with the device.
  • No Switch-like dock, only a USB-C charger with a HDMI port in the brick.
  • Cartridge slot but mostly used for BC and installing games to internal UFS storage (256-512GB), can't launch new games from them.
  • Next-gen patches for some evergreen titles like Smash Bros, Mario Kart etc if a next-gen version isn't too close.
  • Storage expansion is with either UFS/SDExpress card or proprietary. No M.2 2230 slot or SD card as standard SSD will be deemed too power hungry and SD cards are too slow.
  • Launches with Geoff Keighley's GOTY 2024.
  • Notable 3rd party games launching in the first year or so: Persona 3 Reload, Metaphor Refantazio, at least one mainline Final Fantasy port (FF VII Remake or XVI), Resident Evil 4 Remake, Street Fighter 6, LAD: Infinite Wealth
  • More expensive than people expect, ~500€. Approximately 100€ more than a OLED Switch.

Last edited:

radewagon

It will be called Switch 2. I bet Nintendo is legit terrified of falling into the WiiU trap again where consumers are unsure if their new console is actually a new console or just a new iteration of the current one.

Other than that, it's anybody guess. Even something painfully obvious like full backwards compatibility with past physical and digital purchases is not a given when it comes to Nintendo. They seem really good at screwing up really basic decisions.

That said, I'm hopeful that they knock this one out of the park.

Also, the scalping on it is going to be insane. Gonna suck trying to get one in its first year.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
  • DLSS and other Nvidia tech will work wonders in bringing this console to an almost-PS5-level experience.
  • That Switch DS(dual screen patent) turns out to be true.
The only way this makes sense commercially is if you can detach the second screen like the joycons and share it with a friend.

I predict it'll be the first Nintendo HD console with stable framerates.

Which is the reason I'll buy it day one (after skipping Wii, Wii-U and Switch).

The current switch does most games at 720-900p and 30fps with some dips, like an example, Steam deck is a few miles ahead of it. Still a lot of people are expecting a 4K machine

Also, sales for the current system will dip a lot between April-July. The decline is very noticeable.

So yeah, it will launch this year and a lot of people will be disappointed with the specs.

Chastten

Banned
Most of you guys sound like your making a wishlist rather than an educated guess. I'd honestly be really, really surprised if Switch 2 hit 4k, even with DLSS. But maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

I'm expecting a moderate bump over the Switch, maybe even slightly more powerful than the Deck, but even 1440p with DLSS will be difficult in demanding games. They'll go with the cheapest screen available, just like Deck did at first, and then launch a slightly better Switch with better screen a few years down the line.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
-It will not release in 2024. Switch sales are slowing down but by no means stagnant.
On this note, I wonder if anyone knew how quickly a company could get a console made and on the shelves?

They've got the design finalized, all the branding is worked out.

They call up Foxcon, or whoever, it is that makes consoles and they say "check your inbox, we just sent a design over"

How far from that point does Foxcon, or whoever, have the manufacturing capacity to build your machine?

The impression I have is that they book in production years in advance, so I assume that Nintendo would have to project when they want a production run to start on less immediate data than current sales.

Am I wrong?

I think the biggest indicator of when the console is due would be to look at Nintendo's first party schedule. I don't follow them so closely but it looks like they've got a Luigi's Mansion remaster coming in September, and Paper Mario 2 coming after. So, I also think the Switch could ride out the year.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
They'll go with the cheapest screen available
A certainty for Nintendo, I'd have thought.

Tbh, I've still got a v1 switch and upgrading to an oled Model didn't seem like something I was all that bothered about.

Of course, if the new machine is pushing more detailed visuals then the screen quality could be more of an issue.

CS Lurker

Launches in 2024;

Name will be switch 2;

Price between $350 and $400, depending on the amount of RAM and storage (8GB-12GB-16GB / 64GB-128GB-256GB);

T239 (exactly the way we know it: 1536 CUDA, 12 RT, 48 TC, 8xA78);

Full BC (digital and cartridge);

A good LCD ~8 inches 1080p;

Joy-cons will be bigger and have proper ergonomics this time, not being flat anymore;

Will still weight less than the steam deck;

3 hours of battery life on the more demanding games;

The new gimmick will be a camera on the front of the tablet, enabling body tracking using machine learning running on the tensor cores. Also better motion controls with the joy-cons using the camera.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
- Won't be called the Switch 2 but I have no idea what. Super Switch or whatever
- Pretty much just a straight hardware upgrade, no new major gimmick
- Sticking with my guns and saying Spring 2025 but can easily see this holiday
- 8" LCD screen, 8gb RAM, 128gb storage, 1080p in handheld
- $399 launch, one model for now
- Beefier joycons somehow. Maybe launches with a proper D-Pad that still works as face buttons in 2 player mode
- Fully backwards compatible

At launch, or shortly after, there will be an open world Mario game. We've already seen this prototyped in both the massive Odyssey levels and the entire concept of Bowser's Fury. It's been the longest we've ever waited for a new mainline 3D Mario, they're clearly cooking something big - I think an Odyssey 2 would definitely have come out on the Switch by now if they were gonna do it.

Switch reinvented Zelda, Switch 2 will reinvent Mario. That's my main prediction.

magnumpy

Make a hypothesis (educated guess) based on all the "leaks." No doubt some are complete bullshit.

My predictions:

-It will not release in 2024. Switch sales are slowing down but by no means stagnant. They have a big game like Metroid Prime 4 to drop during the holiday for current switch. I predict spring 2025 (I know unpopular opinion)
-It will not used that bullshit leaked tegra chip. I believe Nvidia and Nintendo will create a custom chip. I cannot guess the specs but guessing 4k with DLSS features.
-I believe it will launch with like an amoled or oled screen. Amoled phone screens have been around for years and could be gotten fairly cheaper in mass quanities
-It will not be a simple hardware upgrade. That is not Nintendo's style. For better or worse it will have some kind of new gimmick. I would not be surprised if they get into augmented reality.
-Will not be called the switch or anything in that nature. Whatever their new angle is, it will be called something centered around that.

just a few issues:
-release date is not set in stone, can't really say for sure 2024 or 2025. I don't know when it will launch, and Nintendo certainly marches to their own beat.
-I believe the original Tegra was chosen because it was a low power chip that was already developed and therefore had very low overhead, very low hardware development costs. they basically just took an already proven for it purpose hardware and customized it for the Switch. that would not be the case if they had Nvidia develop a custom chip for them. it's not impossible certainly, but goes against the Nintendo model of using (quote) “lateral thinking with withered technology”
-I have no idea about the type of screen they will use. but I point to the whole preference for "withered technology" and the fact the OLED screens are still sold for a premium price makes me question it's use in at least the initial run of "Switch 2" (or whatever it will be called, probably not that)
-??? Nintendo has done very unexpected things with HW upgrades (3DS) so who can say what they will do
-agreed, the Switch name will be retired. maybe the Nintendo On? ok probably not that either :(

CS Lurker

On this note, I wonder if anyone knew how quickly a company could get a console made and on the shelves?

They've got the design finalized, all the branding is worked out.

They call up Foxcon, or whoever, it is that makes consoles and they say "check your inbox, we just sent a design over"

How far from that point does Foxcon, or whoever, have the manufacturing capacity to build your machine?

The impression I have is that they book in production years in advance, so I assume that Nintendo would have to project when they want a production run to start on less immediate data than current sales.

Am I wrong?

I think the biggest indicator of when the console is due would be to look at Nintendo's first party schedule. I don't follow them so closely but it looks like they've got a Luigi's Mansion remaster coming in September, and Paper Mario 2 coming after. So, I also think the Switch could ride out the year.

Question said:
[...]
I'd also like to know whether good performance in the Nintendo Switch business will impact the time frame for the launch of new hardware.
Furukawa said:
[...] It takes a long time and thorough planning to get ready for new hardware, and those plans are not impacted by whatever the latest business conditions might be.

• Not launching in 2024
  • Will be cheaper than $399
  • I'm still going with Metroid Prime 4 being released simultaneously on the Switch and also as a launch game for whatever Nintendo's next console is called.

Valedix

LCD Screen for launch model, OLED later down the line.

Physical and digital backwards switch 1 compatibility

Some peformance updates for switch 1 games will be paid or come with nintendo online subscription

No joycons

Mario Odyssey 2 launch title

JMarcell

- 900p/1080p resolution with PS4 level graphics, being able to reach maybe 1440p with DLSS
- Standard LCD TFT screen at launch to cut costs
- As you said, some new gimmick that'll help sell more units and a new name that go along with it
- Launch Price will be U$299
- At least one big AAA Nintendo game at launch, probably a new 3D Mario.
- Release date: First half of 2025.

BlackTron

Most of you guys sound like your making a wishlist rather than an educated guess.
Exactly my thoughts, but that's what usually happens.

I'm especially curious why people don't think it'll launch this year. Is it because they said their main business going into 2024 is Switch 1? I hope there is some other reason, and I'm not talking about Metroid.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
ACuttingCorbis_reach_9446_xgaplus.jpg

I genuinely believe you are expecting way too much from them brother.
Most of the stuff you pointed out seem way beyond hopeful, like 4k Oled on a Nintendo launch device? You’re giving them way too much credit—they don’t innovate like that no more.
Adding higher existing tech to a product than they need to be successful is not innovating, it is overengineering. Over engineering is poor practice and adds cost.

The Switch needs to look and feel like an upgrade so it does need better graphics for sure, it just doesn't need a screen that caused them to raise the price by 50 bucks to keep it profitable. There are a lot of Switch owners that do TV only or TV >95% of the time. An oled is wasted on them and really only makes sense as an upgrade.

I am struggling to imagine what they can add as a must have gimmick. They are very likely to have HW which is easy to emulate and I am sure they put a lot of thought of something that they can add to the system to make the emulation a challenge. The only thing I can think of is dual screen, but that really didn't add anything to games that made it worth it outside of a couple of examples. So my guess is that they will have some sort of anti-emulation trick in the unit / games and simply come out with a Switch 2 that just boasts better graphics and better battery life. Basically the Gamecube to the N64.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
-An achievements system finally happens. They've danced around it before with missions on mobile or Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but now is finally when Nintendo commits to it.

Ribbons and medals, done.

This will be dangerous if they start adding them for old titles.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
- Pretty much same look as Switch, but bigger screen. Still has the Amiibo reader for a new line of Amiibos.

- Separate “Pro” Joycons available that make the system more ergonomic and comfortable to hold. Nintendo knows this, which is why they don’t include them. Probably an $80-$100 extra for the nicer ones.

- Nintendo adds Hall Effect Sticks.

- One single Online Paywall for $60 per year. $20 option is gone.

- Backwards Compatible, with a boost to performance in your old games.

- Some social aspect will be the new gimmick, and it’ll utilize something new on the hardware. Maybe an Amiibo battler or something where you build your Amiibos based on how many achievements you now earn in games, and fight other players Amiibos.

- Yamauchi Mode added. In this mode Switch 2 hogs the high speed internet all to itself. No other devices are allowed.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
PS4 power levels with 8gb unified ram and no ray tracing but with DLSS
1080p output when docked
Bigger lcd screen 1080p
Nvme m.2 slot
Bigger joy cons
Launches holiday 2024

DaGwaphics

I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. That was my prediction with Switch, if I keep going with that it might stick eventually.

Mowcno

I don't know why people think Switch sales have to drop to awful levels before they will release a successor. The DS shipped 19.5m units in 2010 and they released the 3DS the beginning of 2011.

Ozzie666

I'm really starting to think a 2024 late reveal a 2025 March release. Gives them more time to get software ready, Switch one is still selling, software is still selling. My only concern is another year is a loss of momentum. Nintendo hasn't announced too many games yet for 2024.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Although it may be silly, it is a great plus to have an achievement system on the consoles... If there isn't one on the next console... Nintendo would lose because of those details.

mysticboy

Launching next year
Close to or even above Series S' power
~$300 handheld only, ~$400 for pro controller and 4k dock included
Prime 4 day one

Top Bottom