• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your switch successor predicton going into 2024

ManaByte

Gold Member
Launch in the fall. Direct orders through Nintendo with an existing Nintendo account to fuck scalpers up the ass. $299 base model with 512GB. $349 deluxe with 1TB.

People will predict its failure like they did the Switch and be epically wrong again.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Launch December 2024.

Called the Switch Up.

Basically an upgraded Switch, with better controllers, and more power (a bit beyond Ps4, a lot behind Ps5), but retaining the Switch's dock and handheld format.

$399.

Dominates Holiday market.

Metroid 4 announced. No release date other than 'first quarter 2025'. Tears Of The Kingdom upgrade. New Mario 3d for launch.

Last edited:

Hudo

A new 3D Super Mario game. Some weird new IP serving as a technical demo for the system, Metroid Prime 4, maybe a new Mario Kart.

I can also imagine Miyamoto trying his hands again at a new StarFox game. He seems to like the IP.

Regginator

-Will not be called the switch or anything in that nature. Whatever their new angle is, it will be called something centered around that.

I would be very surprised if they not only abandon the Switch name, but also move from the Switch concept of portable and docking. Literally the only thing most people would want from them now at this point is simply more powerful hardware + backwards compatibility. That's literally it. I know it's in Nintendo's DNA to innovate, but to innovate just for innovation sake just seems silly.

My predictions:

- Name will be Switch 2. Anything else would be stupid of them. That means no silly names like "Switch Pro", "Switch Deluxe", "Switch U", or whatever name that would imply a simple upgrade instead of an actual successor.
- Full backwards compatibility for both physical as well as digital games.
- In addition to the above: the ability to patch Switch 1 games on Switch 2 hardware for better performance (basically like how PS4 games get enhanced on PS5)
- Better screen with a better battery life. (Wouldn't be a huge thing for me though, 80% of the time I play docked anyway.)

That's literally all I want. The rest is gravy for me.

Xellos

Spring reveal, Fall 2024 launch, $399

Hardware:
T239 SoC on Samsung 8nm, clocks are similar to Switch 1, GPU ~1TFlop portable and ~2TFlop docked. 8 GB RAM. PS4-type power but with modern features and a better CPU.
8" 1080p 120Hz IPS screen, HDMI 2.1 output for TV.
Storage is once again microSD and eMMC. 64-128GB built-in.

Games:
Metroid Prime 4 gets the cross-gen launch treatment like TP and BotW. Nintendo will have a strong first 12 months of games, including a few third party exclusives. I'd also expect some late-gen PS4 and cross-gen ports, like RE4 Remake, Cyberpunk and Red Dead 2.
Full BC with Switch, but without any major enhancements. Maybe the faster RAM and CPU help performance a little?

Woopah

March announcement for a September release, uses T239, is called the Super Switch and evokes the SNES with its design.

8in LCD screen with 12GB RAM, DLSS and some RT capabilities. Will technically be able to output 4k but only indie games will really achieve that.

Games in the first few months will include:

Nintendo - MP4, 3D Mario, 2D Zelda, new local multiplayer IP, Kid Icarus Uprising remake, Pokémon B/W remake and Mario Kart X

Capcom - SF6 and DD2
SE - Visions of Mana and new HD 2D IP
Take 2 - nee NBA and Wrestling games
Ubisoft - next Assassin's Creed
Bandai Namco - Elden Ring
MS - COD 2024

Regginator

March announcement for a September release, uses T239, is called the Super Switch and evokes the SNES with its design.

8in LCD screen with 12GB RAM, DLSS and some RT capabilities. Will technically be able to output 4k but only indie games will really achieve that.

Games in the first few months will include:

Nintendo - MP4, 3D Mario, 2D Zelda, new local multiplayer IP, Kid Icarus Uprising remake, Pokémon B/W remake and Mario Kart X

Capcom - SF6 and DD2
SE - Visions of Mana and new HD 2D IP
Take 2 - nee NBA and Wrestling games
Ubisoft - next Assassin's Creed
Bandai Namco - Elden Ring
MS - COD 2024

I wasn't even conceived yet when the SNES was announced, but how was the name "Super" received back then? Because the average casual public may mistake a Super Switch to mean an upgrade to the original Switch instead of an actual successor. I can already see them buying Super Switch games for their regular Switch and then be surprised why it doesn't work. Just like the Wii > Wii U debacle.

Super Switch sounds great, but I don't think Nintendo should risk going with anything else but Switch 2.

I wasn't even conceived yet when the SNES was announced, but how was the name "Super" received back then? Because the average casual public may mistake a Super Switch to mean an upgrade to the original Switch instead of an actual successor. I can already see them buying Super Switch games for their regular Switch and then be surprised why it doesn't work. Just like the Wii > Wii U debacle.

Super Switch sounds great, but I don't think Nintendo should risk going with anything else but Switch 2.

Super Mario World and the other launch window titles were such a big improvement visually over the NES... that there wasn't any confusion really. Maybe some complaints from Parents (who weren't paying attention too much) about having to buy a new console.

nordique

My prediction is the graphics will be fine for a handheld and it will be able to handle current gen ports better than the switch 1 handles ports from last gen

I also bet it will have backwards compatibility but with no game enhancements

Last edited:

Zannegan

Based on past experiences, I've just been assuming the following:
  • It won't be as powerful as I was hoping for, battery life will fall short of what I'd like, third party support will be patchier than it should given the Switch's success, and the next gen joycon will fix few if any of the Switch's joycon issues (a bit bigger and more ergonomic, maybe, but other than that, basically the same).
  • The launch window lineup will be a little disappointing, not in terms of quantity but selection. There will be new entries in series I've been hoping would return, but weird design decisions will make them less apealing than imagined. There will also be software droughts, in spite of the completed games Nintendo is supposedly sitting on.
  • There will be a gimmick, but it will be minimally intrusive, largely ignored by third parties, a nice little QoL improvement in most cases, used to brilliant effect in at least one game, and overused to the point of being really annoying in a couple more. People will WAY overreact to its inclusion, regardless, as if cutting that 5 cent part would get you a 10% faster GPU or something.

And for my WAG:
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising gets an HD remake, does slightly better but still fails to sell what it deserves because it's freaking amazing. Nintendo uses bots to market the power of the Switch 2's AI hardware

Inanilmaz

My prediction is expect to start seeing screens like this:

XxuAVie.jpg
a6Y8djP.jpg
Just looking at this pictures makes more fun than the current pokemon games. Looks so relaxing.

MAtgS

I don't know why people think Switch sales have to drop to awful levels before they will release a successor. The DS shipped 19.5m units in 2010 and they released the 3DS the beginning of 2011.
Using common sense when discussing Nintendo's business is against the laws of the internet.

Jesb

• Fully backwards compatible
  • Releases this year
  • LCD screen. Capable of PS4 graphics or higher.
  • Will see a lot of ports from last gen PS4 era. Wouldn’t be surprised if Capcom is prepping RE4 remake right now along with other games in the series recently released.

Dazraell

• It will be announced this March and release between late October and middle of November
  • Nintendo will keep the Switch brand for the successor
  • Console's name will be Super Switch
  • Metroid Prime 4 and Mario Kart 9 will be among the first exclusives
  • Some of the first exclusives will be cross-gen available on both Switch and the successor
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade will be one of the early games released on it
  • A lot of older Switch ports will receive proper "next-gen" upgrades with better graphics, framerate, etc

Hudo

• It will be announced this March and release between late October and middle of November
  • Some of the first exclusives will be cross-gen available on both Switch and the successor
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade will be one of the early games released on it
  • A lot of older Switch ports will receive proper "next-gen" upgrades with better graphics, framerate, etc
I can see all of this being a thing.

Dazraell

I can see all of this being a thing.
Knowing my luck I will probably miss the half of these predictions

I did tried to approach it with some business decisions that make sense (like releasing console before Black Friday, keeping Switch brand, Mario Kart 9 being one of first exclusives as it's one of the biggest brands on Switch and Zelda was already released last year, next-gen upgrades for past ports as they can add a lot of new life to these games for Switch userbase as perfromance was always one of the key complaints) and personal speculations (like the name as out of the speculated potential names this one sounds the most appealing to me given Nintendo's history with NES and SNES and disastrous call with Wii U name)

Hudo

Knowing my luck I will probably miss the half of these predictions

I did tried to approach it with some business decisions that make sense (like releasing console before Black Friday, keeping Switch brand, Mario Kart 9 being one of first exclusives as it's one of the biggest brands on Switch and Zelda was already released last year, next-gen upgrades for past ports as they can add a lot of new life to these games for Switch userbase as perfromance was always one of the key complaints) and personal speculations (like the name as out of the speculated potential names this one sounds the most appealing to me given Nintendo's history with NES and SNES and disastrous call with Wii U name)
I think if the rumors about BC are true then they would be really foolish to drop the Switch name, especially if they plan to continue the from factor. Continuing the Switch brand would also support Furukawa's statement about wanting the transition to be as smooth as possible.

Do you think they will launch with a 3D Mario? It's been a while (well, since Super Mario Odyssey, to be exact)...

Emedan

I'll eat donkey bollocks if the next gen Nintendo console has any prefix or suffix other than a 2. That'll be so massively stupid and redoing the same mistake twice.

- New generation Tegra chip
- 8 GB of ram (whoever said 128 GB has had an A4 sheet of LSD)
- Full BC.
- Obviously no dual screen since that wouldn't work docked unless the device can be split.

Autumn 2024 release.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's going to have add on vr goggles with a vr Mario and finally vr will truly be fun and take off.

Robb

Gold Member
I'll eat donkey bollocks if the next gen Nintendo console has any prefix or suffix other than a 2. That'll be so massively stupid and redoing the same mistake twice.
I mean, they’ve literally never done that with neither handhelds nor home consoles, and have had way more successes than failures.

I think you can start preparing a plate of delicious donkey bollocks. I’d personally be very surprised if they go with a “2”.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That just is juuuust dumb enough that I could absolutely see Nintendo naming it that. Well done.

If it ends up being called Switch Up I’m going to claim I had insider knowledge all along, and create an Era account to get metaphorically sucked off by idiots.

amazon fly GIF

Last edited:
Not a bad prediction list, though I can't imagine them announcing it in March unless they were launching it in like June. I imagine they'd still like to move Switch consoles up until the announcement, because sales will crater afterwards especially if BC is confirmed.

Emedan

I mean, they’ve literally never done that with neither handhelds nor home consoles, and have had way more successes than failures.

I think you can start preparing a plate of delicious donkey bollocks. I’d personally be very surprised if they go with a “2”.
True, but then they'll go with another name completely (if this is the case no bollocks for me). When the Super Nintendo came out it to a lesser extent was the victim of the same kind of attitude as the Wii U was, "I already have a Nintendo that plays games". I think there needs to be a clear separation from the previous generation to get in the masses.

darrylgorn

There will be no Switch 2.

They release an AR/VR headset instead in 2025.

It's backwards compatible with prior titles, including Wii and MP4 will be a cross gen launch title.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
True, but then they'll go with another name completely (if this is the case no bollocks for me). When the Super Nintendo came out it to a lesser extent was the victim of the same kind of attitude as the Wii U was, "I already have a Nintendo that plays games". I think there needs to be a clear separation from the previous generation to get in the masses.
I kind of doubt that as well. My bet is it’ll just be “Switch [Something]” or “[Something] Switch”. They won’t drop a branding that will have a +140M customer-base that will recognize it and potentially upgrade.

I think N64 to GC might be the only time they’ve ever not kept the past systems branding in the name for the successor.

Hopefully they’ll give better/more incentives for people to upgrade than previously though. And advertise it properly. I think how they handle that will matter more than the name.

Last edited:

Emedan

I kind of doubt that as well. My bet is it’ll just be “Switch [Something]” or “[Something] Switch”. They won’t drop a branding that will have a +140M customer-base that will recognize it and potentially upgrade.

I think N64 to GC might be the only time they’ve ever not kept the past systems branding in the name for the successor.

Hopefully they’ll give better/more incentives for people to upgrade than previously though. And advertise it properly. I think how they handle that will matter more than the name.
Hmm maybe, when you put it like that. Well we shall see - shouldn't be too far off knowing.

Dazraell

I think if the rumors about BC are true then they would be really foolish to drop the Switch name, especially if they plan to continue the from factor. Continuing the Switch brand would also support Furukawa's statement about wanting the transition to be as smooth as possible.

Do you think they will launch with a 3D Mario? It's been a while (well, since Super Mario Odyssey, to be exact)...
I'm honestly on the fence about this as it's probably would be either Mario Kart 9 or a new Mario 3D game. One other possible game they could do is a new Pokemon game, but if I would have guess they would probably make it a cross-gen to capitalise on audience from both Switch and successor

Not a bad prediction list, though I can't imagine them announcing it in March unless they were launching it in like June. I imagine they'd still like to move Switch consoles up until the announcement, because sales will crater afterwards especially if BC is confirmed.
Well, I picked March for the predicition deliberately as it's the end of the financial year where announcing this type of stuff makes a lot of sense from the business point of view considering it's time of yearly reports and the like. As for the time of the announcement and release, I'm aware it's longer than what Switch had, but I think it could make a lot of sense as it could give them more time on showcasing the console and marketing it properly as a Switch's successor to avoid the same fate as Wii U had in the past. They probably aim for NDS to 3DS type of upgrade and having more time can be very beneficial for properly communicating it and having multiple new games coming at launch. But again, I'm just speculating here

cireza

Metroid Prime 4 is definitely going to be a launch title, and it will most certainly remain the most impressive game on the console for its entire life.

Last edited:
As for the time of the announcement and release, I'm aware it's longer than what Switch had, but I think it could make a lot of sense as it could give them more time on showcasing the console and marketing it properly as Switch's successor to avoid the same fate as Wii U had in the past. They probably aim for NDS to 3DS type of upgrade and having more time can be very beneficial for properly communicating it and having multiple new games coming at launch. But again, I'm just speculating here
The main difference with the Switch 1 announcement to release time frame was Nintendo couldn't drop the Wii U fast enough. Unless they go against expectation and do something out in left field from what we're expecting to be more an iteration on the current Switch than a paradigm shift, I wouldn't think they'd need more than 3 months to properly showcase the new device but as you said, we're just speculating.

nbkicker

Nintendo have no more big hitters coming , they would normally have a direct in feb, yet ill bet it a partnership one, especially when they been releasing videos on you tube constantly with updates to switch games coming.
For me reveal direct in march-apr with a release sept-oct this yr, as for specs bigger screen, more powerful and maybe some gimick that nintendo like, backward comp with switch, hopefully a better dock, and prob a online game as they will need to keep online subscription going

Top Bottom