• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube is experimenting with not allowing users to use the desktop site with ad blockers enabled on browsers

Trilobit

I've got Youtube Premium Lite as I can't deal with the ads. I mostly watch on my LGTV so I'd have to do some Raspberry Pi type of stuff on my router to get adblock. When I watched on my computer Ublock was a given.

Youtube is unusable with ads. Absolutely mad amount of commercials.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I have had YT premium for over a year now and I cant imagine life without it. I just with they had a cheaper version strictly for ad-free youtube as I really don't care about the other features. I use YT music a bit, but could easily live without it for a cheaper rate.

EDIT: Just saw the post above mine. This is precisely what I want but apparently not available in Canada yet :-(

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Fighting adblockers will only make their users and developers fight back even harder. They're not all going to raise a white flag or pay for the subscription.

If you want people to allow the ads don't make them common & intrusive, if you want them to pay for the sub make it an awesome offering with multiple tiers for everyone to choose something.

supernova8

Banned
Fighting adblockers will only make their users and developers fight back even harder. They're not all going to raise a white flag or pay for the subscription.

If you want people to allow the ads don't make them common & intrusive, if you want them to pay for the sub make it an awesome offering with multiple tiers for everyone to choose something.
Personally I couldn't ever go back to ads at all since I started using Adblock. It's night and day. Besides, web pages just load so much faster.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's basically all big tech is today. Instead of offering an awesome product people would love to pay for with awesome features or new features, they just make the free experience intolerable and if you want your experience to get back to baseline, ya gotta pay. Instead if "You want these great features? Pay" it's "You want to not be annoyed any longer? Pay."
Thank you for also making an argument which is also the same one people worried about devaluing game prices (subscription gaming issue) and what it entails (over time similar to the race to bottom that happened with mobile game prices)…

You do not try to sell great new features, you try to sell going back to the experience they used to sell you before (“do not make the base free experience too good, just good enough to get you in the door for free”).

daffyduck

…..Prime Video is an interesting one as it freeloads on the Prime service which people get for free shipping and at some point Amazon might have to do some form of tiering as they do with music.
Prime Video is what sells the sub, Prime shipping is the bonus. They had better not do some form of tiering.

Pidull

I know today's news if frustrating for many of you, but YouTube Premium is literally the last subscription service I would cancel.

YouTube makes up 90% of the streaming video I watch.
Yeah, YouTube Premium is literally the only streaming service I haven't cancelled.

It gives me music and ad-free YouTube, honestly there's nothing else I really need.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
A couple of days ago I clicked for a YouTube video in Safari instead of my usual Brave…. My god, it was enraging. I just tried to skip to a scene in a playthrough to checkout how to proceed and every time I would fast forward or back a bit an add would be show. What in the world? They might just call it add tube by now.

I actually pay for YouTube Premium. The reason being is I'm stuck to my phone right now with no computer currently and I use YouTube almost on a daily basis, many times a day. The ads were getting way too much for me to handle so I just went ahead and paid for it.

I feel it's worth it since I use YouTube more than any other social media or streaming service.

LordOfChaos

i don't have the youtube app, but i use it through the browser.
i immediately refresh to kill the ads. i just have adguard pro
Yeaaah I guess I can do browser + Adguard Pro and that does it, but tbh the browser is just a worse experience than the native app

Too bad there's no way to kill those ads in iOS, it used to be simple back in the day but then they smartened up and started serving ads from the same servers as the video so a DNS adblock can't tell the difference

I have YT Premium already. YT has taken the place of regular TV for me, so it is worth it. I don't even have the aerial hooked up to my TV anymore.

I run SponsorBlock though, because I hate all kinds of commercials/advertisement. And AdBlock/Wipr for all other adverts when browsing.

Omg I didn't know about sponsorblock, it can even skip self promotions and plz liek and subscribe shit, this has been a very useful thread!

I wish I could adblock and sponsorblock my whole brain, get out of there marketing!

Last edited:

nkarafo

Adblockers will continue to exist, they will just get updated or some new ones will pop-up.

Maybe it will be harder to implemented. That's fine, i consider myself a power user so i will manage to make it work no matter what.

Maybe when the fewer power users are the only ones left who don't watch ads, Google will stop caring.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I pay for a bunch of digital subscriptions at this point. I use Youtube quite a bit. Yet I never entertain the idea of paying for YouTube premium and I don't know anyone who does.
Kinda funny I use YouTube more than anything I'm subscribed to but fuck me if I'm ever paying for it

DrFigs

Adblockers will continue to exist, they will just get updated or some new ones will pop-up.

Maybe it will be harder to implemented. That's fine, i consider myself a power user so i will manage to make it work no matter what.

Maybe when the fewer power users are the only ones left who don't watch ads, Google will stop caring.
I've found that adblockers never work on hulu or twitch. if google wanted, they can definitely block them successfully

Laieon

I actually pay for YouTube Premium. The reason being is I'm stuck to my phone right now with no computer currently and I use YouTube almost on a daily basis, many times a day. The ads were getting way too much for me to handle so I just went ahead and paid for it.

I feel it's worth it since I use YouTube more than any other social media or streaming service.

Just get Revanced.

nkarafo

I've found that adblockers never work on hulu or twitch. if google wanted, they can definitely block them successfully

Dunno, i don't browse Twitch but i tested it right now for a few minutes and i'm not seeing any ads with uBlock on Windows.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let me get this straight:

You want access to the biggest repository of videos in the world… for free and without ads…

Yeah, fuck off peasants.
Chappelles Show Lol GIF

Dural

For me YouTube Premium is worth it. I've had it for 5+ years now and there's no way I'd ever go back to using it with ads. I have the family plan so my wife has her own account as do my kids. My wife uses YouTube music daily on her commute to work and pretty much anytime we're driving in the car. I don't use any other streaming services, it's all I really need.

freeloaders on youtube just make every view worth less, which means YT pays them less, which means that they are forced to do things like "and now a segue... TO OUR SPONSOR!" type stuff that everyone hates and complains about just as much.

I don't like YT ads, I think they are a pain in the ass, but ultimately the internet is shifting into this mode where people pay for content they consume and it's probably better that way.
I spend a relatively large amount of money each month throwing money at creators I love directly. I wish more had the option to do this on their pages.

SaintALia

I don't mind ads, but youtube seems to handle them horribly:

1) 2 ads back to back

2) They seem to be random in length-Sometimes one will be a full length, and then a shorter one, and this randomness is spread throughout the video. So when I'm listening by bluetooth, I'm never sure if I need to go back to my tablet to skip it or let it play for the 5 or 12 seconds.

3) They're badly designed for the format. You have 5 SECONDS to tell people about your product, make it count(unskippable ads or when people want to skip it). Some of these ads seem to be wasting money trying to essentially run lame TV ads on Youtube, or play ads with videos, but no audio cues to tell people of the product, you can't do that shit.

4) People tend to 'tune out' ads, so you've already lost them the moment your ads start playing, and unlike TV where you get prepped for ads and there is a certain amount of time before you get back to your programming, ads just shove their way into the middle of a sentence or word and the viewer will just want to jump back to their thing and are just hovering on the skip button or tuning it out until it ends.

5-12 second ads on Youtube(Ads with a jingle and saying their product name and relaying that service within that time) with Youtubers accounting for those breaks in their videos make the most sense, otherwise it seems Advertisers are just wasting money on the platform for the most part. But I guess if you deluge someone with shit, some things are gonna stick.

Also I dunno, maybe Youtube can actually do a third party service where they connect and work with Youtubers and advertisers? Jesus Christ, Raid Shadow Legends, Ridge Wallet, Raycons, whatever the fuck VPN and 'sketchy service/product' can't be the only ones constantly shoving money into Youtubers pockets.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well, understandable, and they also sort of had to do it because they have a sizeable bunch of paying customers now. Youtube is my favorite service and out of many it would be the last one I'd cancel, so why wouldn't I have Premium.. It also comes with Music, which I also use daily (I used spotify premium before).

No offence, just an honest question to those of you that can already afford to pay for other subs/services and also use youtube daily: What's the specific reason for the reluctancy to pay for this service in particular?

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well, understandable, and they also sort of had to do it because they have a sizeable bunch of paying customers now. Youtube is my favorite service and out of many it would be the last one I'd cancel, so why wouldn't I have Premium.. It also comes with Music, which I also use daily (I used spotify premium before).

No offence, just an honest question to those of you that can already afford to pay for other subs/services and also use youtube daily: What's the specific reason for the reluctancy to pay for this service in particular?

I stopped watching cable the minute i got to live on my own.

Fucking inside gossip culture programs. NPC shows and commercials.

YT premium only.

No Social media as well.

supernova8

Banned

Youtube has been free from the very beginning, the other services like Netflix were never free. Sure I'm using adblock so I'm technically "cheating the system" (assuming the tacit agreement is that I agree to watch ads in return for being able to watch videos for free).

Plus, it's not like Youtube is really the same as Netflix or Amazon Prime. Youtube is closer to something like Twitter or Facebook but just in video form. There's pretty much zero content management/curation on Youtube's part, at least not the sort of vetting you get with Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I guess you could call me greedy or wanting to have my cake and eat it and ... yeah that's fine. I will watch Youtube ad-free until I can no longer watch it ad free and then I'll make a decision what I'm going to do. I'm not paying for Youtube though. It's not happening. End result would probably be that I disable adblock for Youtube but watch it far less often because the amount of ads will put me off.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
People act like YouTube runs on charity.

Does anyone know how much it costs to host the countless videos uploaded daily? It just seems like people acting entitled when some are mad this feature is being experimented with.

I lay for premium for this reason. Ads are annoying to me and I don't even use YouTube music or other perks.

What does annoy me sometimes is the sponsor spots and how some channels abuse that. To their credit, some are pretty creative with those and they are entertaining kind of like Bill Burr and his podcast reads.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Exactly lol. "Jeez guy's just gotta make a dollar!".

Fuck off Alphabet/Google/Youtube collectively make shit loads of money. They don't need our sympathy or our goodwill.
regardless of how much money they make, they're going to take steps to stop people from freeloading. it's an easy place to look to raise revenue, see Netflix cracking down on password sharing.

The era of endless free money is over.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
regardless of how much money they make, they're going to take steps to stop people from freeloading. it's an easy place to look to raise revenue, see Netflix cracking down on password sharing.

They literally freeload our data.

Either way, it's an endless battle, you knock down one solution, 3 more pop up. SmartTube is testament to that when they got rid of YT Vanced. Only this time, its homebase is in Ukraine even if open source. Would not be good optics in current year.

Lasha

That is a lot of steps.....is there just an IOS app?

There probably will be once side-loading launches in the EU. Old Vanced was just an APK file you downloaded and confirmed the checksum.

Patching isn't as hard as it seems. It's pretty much automatic once you've downloaded the two required files.

supernova8

Banned
They literally freeload our data.

Either way, it's an endless battle, you knock down one solution, 3 more pop up. SmartTube is testament to that when they got rid of YT Vanced. Only this time, its homebase is in Ukraine even if open source. Would not be good optics in current year.

Yep I will always block their ads (and avoid paying premium) if I can. It's not exactly the same as pirating games or something.

winjer

Gold Member

Truth be told, Google is the company that is freeloading on it's users.
They make billions by stealing user data and privacy, and selling it to other companies.
We must remember that we are not the client. We are the product.
It's really strange to see some people defending companies like Google.

Top Bottom